275 Old Post Road
Southport, CT 06890Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.artisansouthport.com/
- Phone: 2033074222
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am; Breakfast: Daily: 7:00am - 10:00am; Brunch: Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Frederic Kieffer
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Artisan has two areas of its restaurant, one of which is the Main Dining Room and the other being the Tavern, complete with a wood burning stove and lounge. Artisan also has a private dining room called the Garden Room. This space can accommodate up to 10 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Ashley D. Douglass, Sales Mana 2033074220
- Cross Street: Rennell Drive
- Public Transit: Located within walking distance from the Southport Metro-North train station, right off of Route #1 (Boston Post Road.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Artisan offers Valet parking for all dining guests. There is an above ground parking lot beside the restaurant patio and there is a large underground parking lot off of Rennell drive in Southport. Guests may also choose to park on the sides of Rennel Drive or walk in from the center of Southport village.
A word from Artisan
Artisan serves New England inspired farm to table cuisine. Located adjacent to the new Delamar Southport hotel, Artisan sets itself apart by offering a menu and an environment that is both refined and relaxed.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Artisan - Best Restaurants in Southport ›
Artisan reviews from OpenTable diners
58 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (44)fit for foodies (26)romantic (21)special occasion (20)neighborhood gem (19)great for lunch (16)great for brunch (13)vibrant bar scene (11)hot spot (10)good for groups (9)notable wine list (7)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- lovely lunch spotvactionmauiDined on 9/19/2014interesting and diverse menu. everything was very fresh and delicious. friendly service and nice casual atmosphereSpecial Features:
- Not a great experienceExperiencedFoodie7Dined on 9/4/2014This is the second time we have dined at Artisan. First time was better. This last time the service was poor and they delivered us two nearly raw steaks. We sent them back but it was too late.Special Features:
- funfoodieOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/2/2014I found the food good but overpriced and overall I thought the restaurant was pretentious.Special Features:
- Lovely Sunday BrunchMothermagDined on 8/31/2014What a lovely way to spend Sunday Brunch....we were indoors due to extremely hot/humid weather conditions which was absolutely lovely, quiet, sophisticated.....loved the attentive, not invasive, service. Next time we will try to sit outside which also looked very comfortable and civilized.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as beforeOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/31/2014We have always loved Artisan for Sunday brunch but this time it was just off. Food was subpar and service was just ok instead of what we have come to expect from experience. Will be taking a break for a while.
- ExcellentSoCalTrojanDined on 8/27/2014Great outdoor atmosphere and excellent food. Never disappoints!Special Features:
- Great dining ExperiencejackDined on 8/23/2014There were four of us and we all enjoyed the ambiance, good and the service was fantastic. A very coll place to go for dinner. We ate on the outside patio and the atmosphere was great.Special Features:
- Slip sliding awayNYRanger1324Dined on 8/17/2014Sorry to say, but it's just not there anymore. When it opened, a reservation to Artisan was gold. Whether outside, in the the pub, or in the white table cloth dinning room, it was a great pick. The food was differentiated. A few years later, it's become average at best. The menu has not changed and after all is said and done... it's pretty much just meat and fish. Our server, who has been there since day one, is sweet, informative, but forgetful to a fault. Really forgetful. The meal, altogether, was a C. I tested my views on other local diners. Without expressing my views. The consensus was unanimous. Too much $$$ for an average meal. The cocktail scene outside remains vibrant and fun. But it's only available in the warm months.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very very goodMTCTDined on 8/15/2014Overall, great food, very nice and comfortable outdoor seating, never felt rushed, nice service for our table. Some of the waiters standing around the bar could have been friendlier if just to make a good impression.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First trip to ArtisanOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/9/2014We had dinner reservations for 4. We were going to be a bit late and the restaurant was very flxible with us. We were seated right away and the wait staff was fantastic. Our drinks were creative and tasty. My only concern was that, for the price, the dinner menu is very limited and not very creative. Choices were very standard (meat, fish, chicken, pasta) and presentation was boring. Everything served on white plates and nothing unique about the presentation or taste of the food. The dessert menu was also limited but the items we ordered were tasty (cheesecake and bag of donuts). We've also eaten at L'Escale in Greenwich and found that to be a bit different. I would be willing to have brunch/lunch.Special Features:
- Mixed FeelingsjustalocalVIPDined on 7/31/2014We dine at Artisan frequently.Recently, the pricing on their "new" menu and wine list definitely caught our attention. If you know wines, and have dined multiple times at a restaurant, the not so subtle adjustments in pricing are notable, especially with a bit of a decline in the presentation and quality of a few dishes.Artisan has grown in popularity, is attached to a hotel, and attracts an affluent crowd.It can command a premium and has since its' opening.Fortunately, for those of us who know the area and dine out frequently, we have many good options. Maybe naive, but even with an affluent crowd, price vs value should count for something. Location and ambience will probably sustain Artisan.We will return, but not so frequently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasantly surprised!WaltVIPDined on 7/23/2014Lived in Fairfield Co for 12 years, moved out 6 years ago and taking a biz trip to the area found the restaurant of open table, made the reservation, and 1st impression getting there was "how come I never came here before" and then I found out it opened 5 years ago. Great food, spot, ambience, services...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Art You Can EnjoyOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/22/2014Great outdoor bar/lounge area if the weather is nice. Food is inventive and quite tasty, with emphasis on locally sourced/inspired. And some of the better people watching around with plenty of aged but well-heeled lock-jawed locals in the dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weather permittingdeedleDined on 7/13/2014Our return to artisian on Sunday evening worked out beautifully. The night was clear, our outdoor table secure and menus from the dining room and tavern choices available. Prior visits to the more formal dining room proved tasty but deadly and not worth it. This particular evening had it all and something for everyone (Grammy, teens and us/middle agents). Fried pickles and shrimp cocktail a must! Dorado fish special great. Sophicated but not pretentious. Will revisit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beware of poor serviceLmurphVIPDined on 7/12/2014My husband and I have been coming to this restaurant since it opened a few years ago, and have had many wonderful experiences here. The atmosphere outside cannot be beat. Last night's meal was marred with poor service. It looks like they have turned over their staff. There was huge misunderstanding in the kitchen and with the servers and our came very late. We asked to see the manager after our server waited 45 minutes to explain the issue to us. Manager came over and it was clear he is a TOTAL arrogant jerk. Chuckling as he leaned over our table as we were explaining the issues and said basically "what do you want from me? Your food tastes good right?" Never apologized and never treated us like customers that matter.
- Artistic Food for the PaletteElisasfDined on 7/10/2014I have been to Artisan four times. It does not disappoint. It's five stats all the way. The restaurant is beautiful with a great outdoor space, great bar area, and elegant dining room, the food is delicious, beautifully presented and plentiful. The service is impeccable. The atmosphere is great for friends casually meeting for lunch, business clients, romantic dinners, and celebrations of all kinds.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely SettingLenoxVIPDined on 7/1/2014We were there on a weekday nght. had a lovely table outside with an excelelnt server. the food was prettily presented but not as good as it could be. Star was the tuna crudo appetizer; the shrimp cocktail was disappointing. Just great setting and a way to eat outside without facing a busy street.Special Features:
- Great Food & Wine but Very LoudOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/28/2014We enjoyed a very special celebratory dinner on a warm summer, Saturday evening. We requested and sat at an outdoor table on the patio. The noise of the crowd and pick-up scene at the bar on the patio was somewhat disruptive and overshadowed the intimacy of the evening. However, the food (appetizers of Carpaccio and cheese plate as well as dinner entrees of Faroe Island salmon and Amish chicken breast) and wine (from the Old and New World wine list) were wonderful.Special Features:
- MurdevDined on 6/23/2014This restaurant is such a gem for the Fairfield area. The atmosphere, food and service were well above average. The outdoor seating and bar area are a great offering in warmer seasons. This restaurant is a must when dining or traveling through the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Doesn't DisappointSteveTDined on 6/15/20144th time we've been to the Artisan. The food has always been excellent. Service has been somewhat uneven, running the gamat from fair to excellent. If you are interested in giving your culinary taste buds a treat, the Artisan doesn't disappoint.Special Features:
- DisappointedDined on 6/4/2014The food was uneven. Some dishes were excellent, others not so good. ( I did not finish my entree and nobody asked or seemed to care.that I sent back an almost full plate.) Servers were knowledgeable and friendly. Over all, a disappointment.Special Features:
- Always a treatPickyeaterDined on 6/4/2014This was my fourth visit to Artisan and the menu has been creative, healthy and delicious each time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/25/2014we went there for our anniversary , and the food was terrific, the only thing that made this not amazing was the server was not educated on the food. nor accommodating, i needed to fill my wine glass myself from the cold bucket three times, i would go back again , and great food !! regards richardSpecial Features:
- The following 230 reviews are from the Artisan reviews archive.
- Absolutely loved this place,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/16/2014Fantastic restaurant in a beautiful setting, valet parking, service quiet ad quick, above average food quality and preparation. Menu has variety to suit all tastes, but not children, we had an 8:45 pm reservation though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Rude management staffEatoutalotDined on 5/11/2014We went for brunch after having made reservations more than a month earlier. At reservation time I was told I could not request outside seating. When we arrived and asked to sit outside, we were rudely told all outside seating was already reserved! When I asked how that was possible I basically got a shrug of the shoulders . I asked to speak with the manager who was equally as dismissive and rude as the teenage hostess. When I again expressed my confusion and disappointment they could not have cared less and didn't even offer a drink or any other consolation ... Basically, one gets the impression eating there that we are just privileged to step through their doors. And the food is waaaaay overpriced! Save your money and go somewhere else !Special Features:
- Beautiful, attentive and deliciousbirthdaydinersDined on 5/7/2014My friend and I celebrated her birthday at Artisan, and it was the perfect place to relax and enjoy excellent cuisine from a creative and varied menu. Artisan is elegant in an unimposing way, light and airy, with very attentive and friendly servers. In all the experience in the main dining room was first rate.Special Features:
- Best restaurant experience aroundStudio416Dined on 5/6/2014This gem in the heart of southport has become out favorite. The service is always superb, the food beautifully presented, innovative and delicious, and the decor impeccable both inside and out...making it the perfect total package for dining. It's our number one spot for special occasions, but also a great place for small bites and cocktails in the bar; especially in warmer weather when the outside patio area is open. Perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect spotSusanVIPDined on 4/22/2014Among all the questionable Fairfield County restaurants lies a true gem. The setting is beautiful at any season, the food is delicious and the service is very professional. Nothing more to say!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDisappointedDined on 4/20/2014I wanted to book a table for brunch on easter. Website said brunch hours were 11am-3pm. Open table told me the earliest table available was 1pm so I booked it. However when I arrived at the restaurant at 1pm half the tables were empty and I wish I could have come earlier. Then once I sat down to eat I ordered coffee, thinking I was about to have brunch. However when the menu came out it was an easter dinner menu. I would not have minded paying the expensive prices the restaurant charged if I had brunch and enjoyed myself. However instead I felt taken advantage of.Special Features:
- Yummy!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/18/2014Great food, beautiful place, good service. Highly recommended.
- Delicious and beautifulhermoDined on 4/13/2014We had a delicious brunch. The house gravlax benedict was a treat, the hollandaise sauce & house cured salmon a treat. We also loved the rich brewed coffee. The service was great. 2 managers stopped by to ensure we were pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Brunch in Fairfield County!WestportJenVIPDined on 4/6/2014I ate brunch at Artisan with friends in celebration of a birthday. Overall, we all had a fabulous experience! The $19 price fixed brunch is a great deal, and includes a cocktail (mimosa or bloody mary) and a cup of coffee. I ordered the Gravlox Benedict (poached eggs served on a SoNo English muffin with spinach with smoked salmon), and it was the best brunch dish I've ever had! The fluffy English muffin made the dish. One of my friends ordered a salad with salmon and the other ordered the casserole, and both raved about their dishes as well. Service was attentive, and the atmosphere was pleasant. I'd highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Service and Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/5/2014After a long day of flying , we needed a good meal. What we received was an exceptional meal and the service was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely.. refined.MBsouthportDined on 4/2/2014Tucked away in a quiet corner of the Delamar Hotel in Southport, sits this lovely restaurant. It has soft lighting, a cozy bar for before-dinner drinks, and has an upscale decor. The staff was friendly, and the reason why you're there? The food was outstanding. My Nantucket fluke was one of the best fish entrees I've ever had and considering I have just returned from Bermuda and had lots of wonderful fresh fish... crunchy, grilled on the outside, oh-so-tender on the inside. Fabulous. The wine list was extensive, but I felt the prices were a bit lofty and the cheese plate, three very, very petite slices was a bit pricey at $16... Outside of that, I would eagerly return, especially for the delicious Nantucket fluke. THAT was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrate Life at ArtisanMisseyDined on 3/24/2014Food Delicious! Setting Lovely! Ambiance magical! Wait Staff = dedicated! We have celebrated a few birthdays at Artisan. It has become our favorite restaurant in Fairfield County, CT.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodCookieSnapperVIPDined on 3/15/2014Have been to Artisan a number of times and the food is consistently good with the service usually being very good. The menu is somewhat boring if you go often - does not change frequently enough. If you go for only special occasions I think you will like Artisan. Once the weather gets warmer, the Desperate Housewives of Fairfield County inundate the outdoor dining area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maybe again...WurzieDined on 3/12/2014Wonderful beet treat, not very good lobster roll, great mussels. And the lobster roll was the main course, so disappointed, dry, tasteless, maybe frozen fish?Special Features:
- Never disappointed here. ThegoodeaterDined on 3/8/2014Never disappointed here. The level of food and service is always exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy belated Valentine's Day to usNancyDined on 2/23/2014My husband and I eat out a lot and we never go out on V Day because it's usually awful so we waited a week this year and chose Artisan. We hadn't gone there before and we are in agreement that this was one of the best - if not THE best - meals we've had in a long time. Exemplary food, great service, and QUIET!! We could actually talk over dinner. Lovely, special - I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not complaining about my waitstaff!JohnnyODined on 2/20/2014I have one major complaint. The Valet service is ridiculous. The parking lot is 15 feet from the door, yet the valet came up to the car when I was pulling in. I have eaten here before with no valet. It is a complimentary (unless you tip) service, but completely useless! This particular night was raining and COLD. When we finished our meal, we had to walk outside in the rain, stand there, and wait uncovered, to ask the valet to get our car (which was 10 feet away), run back inside the restaurant, just to watch him start our car and move it 5 feet. We then had to run back outside to get in it! I believe our waiter should've called to get our car so it was ready when we left, but this isn't offered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.