Artisan Restaurant and Bar
310 A. West Fourth Street
Winston Salem, NC 27101Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Artisan Restaurant and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.artisanrestaurant.ws/
- Phone: 3367253900x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Saturday 5:00PM - 10:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Artisan Restaurant and Bar
Fine dining without the fuss.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Artisan Restaurant and Bar - Best Restaurants in Winston-Salem ›
Artisan Restaurant and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (16)fit for foodies (16)neighborhood gem (15)special occasion (11)romantic (10)scenic view (5)good for groups (4)notable wine list (3)great for lunch (1)hot spot (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Surprise find in downtownWendyUDined on 8/21/2014We loved our dining experience! Great service and unusual menu. The fried lobster special was really delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Outdoor dining was fun!AlwaysthinkingabtnxtmealDined on 8/16/2014Food was excellent. Ate out on the sidewalk which was a little noisy but fun! Only complaint was our waiter. He was not very knowledgable or attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014Love you guys. Keep it up! Fabulous chicken two nights in a rowSpecial Features:
- Food good, not serviceNCDeaconVIPDined on 8/13/2014We have been fans of Artisan since we discovered it over a year ago. But not so much this time. There were only 2 girls serving, and one not very experienced. Loooong waits between seeing her, and when food finally came, mine was lukewarm. She was gracious and apologetic (and removed mine from bill) but what was so frustrating was watching the manager and the host guy stand back in the open kitchen talking instead of running food to tables when it was ready. At one point, Greg the owner, was there, and joined the other 2 guys in the kitchen, talking, while customers waited, food wasn't served hot, and the 2 little servers ran around unable to keep up. Gave her a good tip, in spite of poor service, because I think it wasn't her fault.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative menuLadyDiDined on 8/9/2014I love the way Artisan uses fresh ingredients in a creative way. The specials are always good. Someone at our table had the burger and said that it was great. I had the lobster with grits cake which was excellent and had a lovely sauce. It is well priced. This was our fifth visit - we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Has potentialdoeeyesVIPDined on 8/2/2014The cocktail I had was very good - the Southern Bell. It was thoughtful, simple, and refreshing. Not cloyingly sweet like most cocktails you find at a restaurant around here. I had the lobster grits. The lobster was a little chewy and the mushrooms didn't taste fresh but perhaps canned - I'm not sure, it may have been the taste of the sauce. The dish needed some crunch and flavor/texture depth. Good concept though. Our fried green tomatoes were too heavy on the batter. They could use some music in the front areas and a touch of warmth inside. The staff was very pleasant. Overall, this place has potential.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/12/2014Great food. Fun downtown atmosphere. The restaurant was noisy on Sat. night but they are putting in some acoustical something to make it quieter.Special Features:
- Artisan ReviewKboyDined on 7/12/2014Great downtown Winston-Salem location, in the heart of the action. Enjoyed the Devil's Eggs; Hanger Steak was so-so but the vegies were great. Very nice presentation, and the wait staff was very attentive. We enjoyed a nice bottle of wine, which was the feature for the evening. We will return to try other menu options....but won't get the Hanger Steak again.Special Features:
- Very goodMoondoggieVIPDined on 7/11/2014Overall, I was quite impressed and am happy to see this addition to the Winston-Salem dining scene. I ordered the crab stuffed salmon. If I could have found any crab in the dish I would have given it 5 stars. Still, it was one of the most perfectly prepared pieces of salmon I have eaten recently so I found little reason to complain. I will definitely recommend this place and look forward to eating here again soon.Special Features:
- Winston-Salem localKittyDined on 6/28/2014Sat outside and enjoyed it very much. There is a lot going on in downtown Winston-Salem and Artisan is right in the middle of it. The food was very very good and the waiters were really attentive. Look forward to going again soon.Special Features:
- A downtown gemcatscookingDined on 6/28/2014Artisan's name is appropriate -- the food and drinks are well crafted and interesting. I had a cocktail called "L'Orange" that was both tasty and beautiful. Our entrees (hanger steak and lamb) were cooked to our specifications, the accompaniments were delicious, suited each dish, and were nicely presented on the plate. I especially enjoyed the parsnip puree with Brussels sprout leaves and roasted cherry tomatoes. Our only complaint was that service was somewhat slow. We like not being rushed so that we can enjoy our meal, but we waited too long to get started (water, drinks, bread) , especially when the restaurant was not crowded. However, the staff was cordial and professional otherwise. This was our second visit; we'll go back.Special Features:
- Pretty descent food, creative menuFoodSavantDined on 6/27/2014My spouse and I dined here on a Friday evening. The staff was very friendly and service was good. The food was good but not outstanding. We ordered the devil's eggs since everyone online raved about them -- they were creative, but not as much flavor as I would have liked. The plates are pretty small, but still enough food...definitely not enough for leftovers, but we both enjoyed our meals (steak and lamb). Would probably eat here again, but not at the top of my list.Special Features:
- The following 100 reviews are from the Artisan Restaurant and Bar reviews archive.
- keepitsimpleDined on 6/20/2014We've dined at hundreds of fine restaurants in dozens of cities, and this meal compares to the best meals we've had in Paris. The food was fresh, hot, perfectly cooked, and nicely presented. Not prentious. Substantive portions, including the pours of wine. And reasonably priced. We live 45 minutes away from Winston, but we plan to return often.Special Features:
- same menu sameavocatVIPDined on 6/13/2014I have reviewed this spot with high marks in the past. Not much new here, and what we had was a step down from before. It did not help that the dining room was nearly empty.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taste plus PresentationDowntowndinersDined on 6/13/2014Our dinner at Artisan was not only delicious, but artfully presented with an eye to color. Our server was friendly, but did not strive to be your next best friend. He maintained an appropriate distance. When my husband's first choice became unavailable, 10% was deducted from our bill. But the trout (2nd choice) was tasty enough to allow one to forget that first craving. The small salad was more than ample, making us wonder how big a large version would be! All in all, a satisfying meal. We will return.Special Features:
- Excellent on all countsJwhiteDined on 6/6/2014We were greeted warmly by several staff members and then proceeded to have one of he best meals we have had dining out in while. An excellent place..an excellent choiceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special NightXathrewNCDined on 6/6/2014After booking on OpenTable, we had a bottle of sparkling wine waiting for us (requested when I booked the reservation), which started off a terrific meal and special memory.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food at this neighborhood gemLauraDinesDined on 5/31/2014Had a wonderful meal at their outside sidewalk area. The salmon entree and lobster grits entree were fresh and delicious. We will definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- boring ambiance, unfriendly staffrh84Dined on 5/29/2014The ambiance was a little boring. when we asked to sit in the back after being seated at a table right by the door the host said "you want to sit all the way in the back?" very rudely so we just sat by the door. Our waitress took quite a while to come to the table and took 10 minutes to tell me they were out of the beer I ordered. We didn't feel welcome and the food was just OK. Told our friends not to put this on their must try list and none of us will be going back.
- AwesomeRobinDined on 5/24/2014My husband and I dined at the Artisan on Saturday night for the first time. It was such a wonderful experience. We ate inside while others ate outside and just about had the entire restaurant to ourselves. The attentiveness of our waitress was on point, the scene of downtown was great and the food was out of this world. I had the filet and it was juicy, tender and just scrumpulous. My husband had the pan fried chicken and he said it was delicious. We even had the pleasure of meeting Greg the owner. He was a treat meeting and talking with him and learning more about his business and the Millemium center that he owns. We will definitely go back...the entire evening made for a romantic evening at the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WsncVIPDined on 5/4/2014Been here several times. Something was off in the kitchen todaySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter brunchCK111VIPDined on 4/20/2014This intimate, city spot is great for lunch or dinner. The food is creatively prepared and unique in Winston Salem. Gluten free diners are easily accommodated. Cocktails options are special. Staff are friendly and knowledgeable about their menu. On the last visit for Easter brunch, my wife and I took our three young children and found it to be very kid friendly at lunchtime. It is quickly becoming one of our favorite spots to eat. I grew up on Lowcountry shrimp and grits but Artisan has a great version, very unique.Special Features:
- Always good foodWsncVIPDined on 4/20/2014They work very hard to accommodate each persons dietary issues. Their brunch is the best in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Brunch DiscoverygolfDined on 4/20/2014We took mom here for Easter Brunch--great discovery. Food--scrumptious! Perfect place to also see what is going on around town on 4th street. We will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first time for Sunday brunchkpb202VIPDined on 4/20/2014My husband and I enjoyed a delicious brunch on Easter. We have dined at Artisan for dinner a couple times and gave Sunday brunch a try. As expected, the food was delicious. He had Eggs Benedict, and I had the pancakes with a side of bacon. All were good. Overall considering dinners and brunch, we have enjoyed everything we've had there. Stand-outs to me include the good preparation of seafood, artisan cheeses, delicious cocktails, and a reasonable by-the-glass wine selection. All very enjoyable! Oh...and the servers are always effective and demonstrate warmth and concern for your experience. We look forward to returning!Special Features:
- Wini3Dined on 4/19/2014The BEST choice for downtown dining!Superb Service Ambiance in a casual setting...great Wine list incredible Brunch Best small plates Creative Menu Friendly wait staff. Killer Bloody Mary bar gorgeous wait staff amazing Chef Kevin and Marc is ..well Top Shelf ! Owners Gregory and Edie are so far ahead if their game .....Don't Miss out on this Experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousNCDeaconVIPDined on 4/16/2014My husband, daughter and I had a delicious dinner. I had the shrimp special. Our daughter had the hanger steak which is on the regular menu. The steak was flavorful and tender. My husband had the trout which he also enjoyed. The service was a little slow in the beginning, but I think they were just busy. Was not really a problem. We always enjoy Artisan.Special Features:
- Great brunch!NC4FoodVIPDined on 4/6/2014I love the bloody mary bar-- it's a nice touch compared to what you normally get in Winston at brunch. Food was yummy. Good service. Much better serving sizes and prices compared to my experience at dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Furniture MarketeattojoyVIPDined on 4/5/2014This will be a regular stop for us April & October. The burger is exceptional. Overall great food, service and location.Special Features:
- Sunday brunchNCDeaconVIPDined on 3/30/2014My husband and I dined at Artisan for Sunday brunch. We both ordered the Eggs Benedict which was very good. It came with lovely roasted fingerling and sweet potatoes and fresh fruit. (A slice of watermelon, blueberries, raspberries, and a small slice of grapefruit) a delicious and relaxing brunch experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had dinner after a movieOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/28/2014We had dinner after a movie at A/perture and it was delicious. It was my second visit to the restaurant but everyone else's first time there. We all had a wonderful meal. The staff was courteous and attentive. We will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Artisan Restaurant was exceptional!texmexmamaDined on 3/28/2014Our party of six enjoyed immensely our dinner at Artisan Restaurant. Each of our dishes was delicious and unique. Beet salad was exceptional! Thank you for a lovely dining experience.Special Features:
- Great meal, great serviceBpillaDined on 3/22/2014Thanks for a terrific anniversary dinner! The hangar steak was delicious and our bottle of "Freakshow" was a great recommendation!Special Features:
- Gets better every time!MarkVIPDined on 3/22/2014I have eaten at Artisan three times and each time am more impressed. Their small plates are creative and delicious; we particularly like the deviled eggs with chorizo, the beet salad was awesome. Their specials are just that; this visit I had a pan seared grouper with shrimp and sweet potatoes - delicious! We love that the entrees are just the right portion - not too much that you overeat but not skimpy either. Service is attentive and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice treat!applemc55VIPDined on 3/18/2014Service was friendly. Sweet ambience. Food was very nice. Local and in season. We were pleased with the reasonable portion sizes. Pricing was reasonable as well. We will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambiance- tables around theChefCarolDined on 3/16/2014Ambiance- tables around the door are especially chilly. Need a way to block the cold air from coming in. The whole restaurant is a bit chilly as well. Service is excellent and the food is amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- must repeatavocatVIPDined on 3/14/2014Go to this restaurant. Even simple preparations are spot on. Pan roasted chicken is worth repeating. A chocolate panna cotta a smooth ending.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Laid back quality in WSJLJoVIPDined on 3/9/2014Fourth Street now has a number of fun venues in attractive urban spaces. Here that is joined with creatively prepared disease with well sourced ingrediates at a fair price . The wines are enjoyable very good & reasonably pricedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service, and atmosphereBjaminDined on 3/8/2014It was my fiance's bday. I put a note in the reservation indicating that, and they wished her a happy bday as soon as we walked in. They made her feel special with a candle in the dessert. Otherwise the food and wine were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Artisan Bar and GrillzcakesDined on 3/8/2014Very imaginative food, although menu somewhat limited in seafood. Wine list is not extensive although everything is available by the glass and they try to have a little bit of each significant varietal. Food quality was very high. Service was hit or miss; either checking on you every 5 minutes or gone for 30 minutes at a time. People very friendly and otherwise accommodating. We will likely consider this a place to consider when we go to Winston-Salem.Special Features: