843 12th Street
Paso Robles, CA 93446Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.artisanpasorobles.com/
- Phone: 8052378084x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chris Kobayashi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Contact: Shandi Kobayashi 8052378084x
A word from Artisan
From its inviting corner location at 12th and Pine streets in charming downtown Paso Robles, Artisan captures the essence of the Paso Robles wine country on every plate. Showcasing locally grown produce and handcrafted foods, Executive Chef Chris Kobayashi finds much of the inspiration for his dishes through regular trips to the farmer’s market; he combines regional American flavors in new and innovative ways. Artisan’s menu features local and organic produce, and proteins that are wild caught or sustainably farmed with no growth hormones or antibiotics. Chef Kobayashi’s insistence on freshness and quality complements his style which allows each ingredient to shine, but not overwhelm. Designed to complement its contemporary American cuisine, Artisan’s wine list offers a balanced selection of varietals that includes many wines from California regions in small or limited distribution. The staff of Artisan kindly look forward to serving you in the near future.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Artisan - Best Restaurants in Paso Robles ›
Artisan reviews from OpenTable diners
141 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (112)notable wine list (60)neighborhood gem (59)special occasion (54)hot spot (30)good for groups (27)romantic (22)great for outdoor dining (21)great for lunch (19)vibrant bar scene (17)great for brunch (16)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (3)Show More
- GoergoerDined on 10/16/2014Fabulous spot! Unexpected sophistication in downtown Paso Robles. Go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reasonable markup on the winesalbeefoodieDined on 10/12/2014Local wines weren't overly marked up and we appreciated that.Special Features:
- Excellent!FoodieVIPDined on 10/7/2014The food at Artisan is consistently excellent, as it was on my last visit. The halibut on the menu and the bison fettuccine special were awesome. Seasoning is perfect. The ambiance and service are not perfect, but neither will cause me to stay away, I just wish both were a bit better.Special Features:
- 25th AnniversaryfiremarshalbillVIPDined on 10/7/2014Food was excellent, had the chance to try Bisson and Boar. Unique foods and well done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun, Innovative DishesSakiDined on 10/5/2014We showed up to grab a couple of small plates and really enjoyed our selections. The Mushroom Toast was outstanding (despite some burnt crust that overwhelmed the flavors on those bites) and the Rabbit Bolognaise (sorry for the bad spelling) was one of the most flavorful dishes I'd ever had. It's also fun to have a good selection of local wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible dinner!RBelzVIPDined on 10/5/2014My husband and I did a 10-day trip from San Francisco down to San Diego, stopping along the way, and this was one of my favorite restaurants in the whole state. Every single bite was amazing and the local wine was delicious too. I highly recommend this restaurant and wish there was one in Maryland!Special Features:
- What happened to ArtisanFoodieInLAVIPDined on 10/3/2014We had the most awful experience at Artisan on October 3, 2014. We always make Artisan our first stop when visiting Paso and have always had great food with good service. This time was very different, the food was average at best, service was terrible. One of the dishes was not what we ordered, the waitress apologized and said they would bring the correct dish out. The correct dish was brought out by one of the kitchen staff, who had major attitude and made a sarcastic comment when putting the plate down. When he later came out to serve another table he glared at us. We complained to the manager, who said they would take the dish off the bill. When we received the bill, the one dish was credited but the incorrect dish was still charged.
- Good food with great serviceEatinoutDined on 10/3/2014Enjoyed our food. Service was attentive. Wine list was great. Yes, would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Artisan is always wonderful.nodoubtDined on 9/28/2014The Artisan is my wife's and my favorite restaurant in Paso Robles. The food is always amazing, the service is great and the ambiance is nice. We've tried different dishes, and have never had anything less than outstanding. The menu is fairly diverse, and changes with the seasons. The only problem is sometimes saving enough room for dessert, but if you do, the rewards are awesome. There are some really nice restaurants in Paso Robles, and there are a few that we really enjoy, but we think the Artisan is the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was Outstanding.beardinerDined on 9/26/2014Excellent meal. I asked for and received a quieter table for my wife's birthday. Service was very good with good recommendations from the menu.Special Features:
- Anniversary ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014Tables too close together. Very noisy. Slow service. Expected reasonably quiet dining for the cost.Special Features:
- Patio DinnerOliveOilDined on 9/22/2014We had a great dinner on the patio across from the park. Our dinner was tasty and good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, especially dessert!eatswellDined on 9/20/2014The food was delicious, though you must be a carnivore to really appreciate it. Not a single vegetarian entree/large plate anywhere on the menu. Pizza and salads were unique. Each dish had a little something special about it. Tasty, interesting combinations that weren't too weird. Desserts were out of this world!Special Features:
- Don't try to change menu choices.localandfussyDined on 9/20/2014Food good but server unable to alter menu choices to accommodate allergies & choices. Service good but a bit on the slow side. Would like more local wine choice by the glass. I'd like to see all of our upper end restaurants allow free corkage on one bottle from a local winery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the Best Restaurants in PasoJoAnnDined on 9/17/2014Artisan was a wonderful experience starting with our server Kelda who was fantastic. Professional, friendly and very wine savvy. We had the steak and twice baked potatoes. Meat was done to perfection and the potatoes, to die for. If I could get the recipe, I would be one happy lady. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone who enjoys find food and wine.Special Features:
- A Paso Robles Must DonydinerVIPDined on 9/17/2014Before our trip to Paso Robles, we'd asked some friends about restaurants, this one was on all of their lists and they were right. The service was perfect, always there to help and offer assistance without being intrusive. The food is amazing. You can be experimental (sliced boar) but even if you go with a familiar dish it's just different enough that the chef's has added his own style but not so off wall as to disappoint. For example, the scallops came in a broth with mussels, clams, shrimp and a light noodle but didn't take away from the perfection of the scallops. Go, go, go!Special Features:
- LOVE THIS PLACE!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014We loved the food. We were a party of 6 and had gone to Artisan for my husbands 50th birthday. The food was delicious, waitress knowledgeable and attentive. We also changed times and # in our party twice with no problems. Highly recommend!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingelaineVIPDined on 9/14/2014We traveled up to Paso Robles to attend a concert with some friends and had been told about Artisan, so we tried it. OMG! It was FABULOUS! We ordered several dishes and shared them, kind of like tapas. Everything was extremely well prepared and flavored. What a find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Between lunch and dinner?wsantDined on 9/14/2014We love this restaurant! We have had many meals at lunch and dinner before. This weekend we were out wine tasting and missed lunch. We tried to find a restaurant who was serving food at around 3:30. No other restaurant was serving food at time :(. Artisan was the only one who was serving food that time. Granted it was a limited menu but we were able to find something for an early dinner. I would suggest Artisan for any meal (lunch and lunch). If you are between lunch and dinner and need a meal remember Artisan!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/13/2014A "go to" restaurant in Paso Robles. Imaginative cooking and fine service. Exudes a festive spirit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FABULOUS!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/13/2014FABULOUS!! We were a party of 4 and everything was beyond great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingklgjwgDined on 9/13/2014Had to send 2 dinners back and came back essentially the same as first. Both fish and beef were under done and cold.
- Great Food, drinks and serviceStoweskiDined on 9/9/2014This is a great restaurant on the square in Paso Robles. We had a variety of 5 small plates that we shared and all were terrific. We also had a couple unique cocktails which were dangerous, because they are so good you could drink a few too many before you knew it. The service is pleasant and quick, we were there on a Tuesday evening so it was quiet and relaxing. We sat in the bar where we suspect it could be hopping on a weekend night. Love the place, you will tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable DinnerSarah5Dined on 9/6/2014This was my second time dining, the first was in their previous location. Overall our dinner was very enjoyable. I had a delicious tequila cocktail. Good wine list and decent beer selection. The food was either great or ok depending on the items. Best was the special seafood soup which was outstanding. The salmon tartar was a bit lacking in flavor and nothing exciting. Our beet salad was fresh with a nice mix of components. The mushroom pizza was good but not outstanding. Dessert was the churros which were light as air and can't be missed. Our server (can't remember her name) was lovely - friendly, knowledgeable and checked in with us regularly without being pushy. She even brought me a taste of their port with dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PAnne28Dined on 9/6/2014Very creative menu with wonderful fresh ingredients. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkayGlobetrotterVIPDined on 9/5/2014Wouldn't return...It was okay.. Went because of all the good reviews. The four if us felt it was just okay.. Service was great.Special Features:
- MusicMomDined on 9/5/2014Refreshing, very Artsy environment, Great Food and Service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so special anymoreOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/4/2014The food was pretty good, but at the old location it was better, as well as the service was better. The old location seemed more special and upscale; a place to go for a very nice dining experience. The new location is very casual (shorts and T-shirts) and has somewhat of a cafeteria feel.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/25/2014VERY GOOD AND FRESH FOOD - it was so good you need to follow up till dessertSpecial Features:
- Enjoyed the ExperiencebirchbearsDined on 8/25/2014Artisans is a great place for foodies or if you are bored with the usual fare and are looking for delicious and unusual dinner. The chef creates wonderful combinations to delight the the palate. Nice small plate menu and entrees both. Everything very fresh, locally grown and/or organic. We love the experience of trying new things... even better in a nicely appointed comfortable casual setting with top notch service.Special Features:
- Great for sharingadubDined on 8/23/2014My wife and I went with a friend while doing some wine tasting in the area. The food was delicious! They had many small plate options and were happy to let us share. The waitress even worked out our order so that it would come in three courses, soup, then small plates, then cheese fondue, allowing us to enjoy each course. We were able to linger and enjoy. Wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a detourAliceVIPDined on 8/23/2014Artisan is my husband and my favorite restaurant. We stumbled across it via Yelp, spent our honeymoon in Paso Robles so we could eat at Artisan for three nights in a row, and now schedule meals there when we go anywhere south (we live near San Francisco) or west (we arranged our recent drive home from Santa Fe to include lunch at Artisan). I love their food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Popular Paso Robles restaurantJanniePDined on 8/19/2014Vibrant and popular, Artisan is definitely the place to be in Paso Robles. Whilst the large plates didn't tempt us they are quite happy for people to order a number of small plates to share, which most people seemed to be doing. Interesting combinations, though some descriptions needed explanations, e.g. Pigs wings, were actually ribs. Interesting flavours and salads particularly good. Service was friendly and efficient. Lunch time menu looked interesting and a slightly less expensive than dinner options. Offered interesting wine flights as well as a good selection if wines and craft beers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic RestaurantSageOne63Dined on 8/18/2014We especially loved having so many wonderfully creative appetizers and small plates from which to choose. Our server Kelda was incredibly helpful and personable in making our choices in food and wine. Would love to return sometime!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/18/2014We have visiting the Artisan for dinner during our past three visits to the Paso area. The ambiance was great and the food was wonderful..consistently so. This time the location changed (we didn't like as well) and the menu didn't have anything close to what we had seen and liked before. The food preparation of the previous Artisan was beyond reproach; this time not so great. It seems that the restaurant has been purchased by a new owner who has taken it to an entirely different direction. In the past, we have told friends that the Artisan was one of the best restaurants where we have dined. Now we wouldn't recommend it to anyone and we will not go back
- Food that tastes like food!orangic4meDined on 8/16/2014Dining at Artisan was a sublime experience. For the first time, I can say I ate food which tasted like food. The organic vegetables were so fresh and delicious. Each bite was a joy that I wish would last forever. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Imaginative and Fresh MenuAdamDined on 8/12/2014Interesting menu list and all food was well executed. Showcasing locally sourced fresh produce. Great experience all round.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommendOpenSesameDined on 8/10/2014My husband and I were visiting Paso Robles from SoCal, and heard about Artisan from one of the knowledgable employees at Justin Winery. So glad we took her advice! The relaxed, casual atmosphere, together with delicious food plates, and sophisticated wines made for a memorable evening. Service was tops, and happy to give out recipes, too. Love the philosophy of eating fresh seasonal and local, and they do it so well here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not that impressed...savagejimVIPDined on 8/7/2014For all the hype around this place, I would have expected a lot more. Service was really slow, waiters consistently brought food to the wrong tables. Wine list was pretentious and snobby. Food was pretty good, I had the Boar Tenderloin, which was served medium rare. When I asked the server whether it is OK to eat pork not fully cooked (it is if from reputable source) she gave me the deer in the headlights look. Over priced and snobby in my humble opinion...
- Highlight in Paso RoblesPotentialDined on 8/7/2014This appears to be the top restaurant in a town that is trying to become the Napa of Central California, but isn't much succeeding. Stores shut at 5; lots of empty storefronts, etc. But Artisan was lively and clearly attempting to be innovative and au courant. A solid meal. Recommended.Special Features: