Article One - American Grill
400 New Jersey Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Article One - American Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.articleonegrill.com/
- Phone: 2027198478
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 6:30am - 11:00am, Saturday & Sunday: 6:30am - 12:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm, Saturday & Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Ary Schalick
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Two flexible semi private rooms available for seating up to 25 guests. Please call for inquires and availability.
- Private Party Contact: Restaurant Manager on Duty 202-719-8526
A word from Article One - American Grill
Article One, named for the corresponding article of the U.S. Constitution establishing the structure of Congress, is conveniently situated in the newly renovated atrium lobby. The restaurant offers a casual location for breakfast and lunch each day, while featuring upscale dining for dinner each evening. Choose from a selection of unique dishes blending local influences, organic products and grilled favorites with a creative twist. Breakfast will feature Hyatt’s signature breakfast menu in addition to a daily breakfast buffet. For lunch, enjoy a selection of creative soups, salads, sandwiches and grilled entrees. Dinner provides an upscale grill menu, featuring Certified Angus Beef steaks, chops, and seafood. Generous side dishes and a selection of desserts pair nicely with the grill menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Article One - American Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
15 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance2.9Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (4)vibrant bar scene (3)fit for foodies (3)late-night find (2)great for brunch (2)neighborhood gem (2)hot spot (2)good for groups (2)special occasion (1)Show More
- Good food but slow serviceafeniaDined on 8/31/2014I am not sure if it was because it was a holiday weekend or later in the evening but we experienced slow service. Our food was good but it took a little while to get to us. We were told the specials but not the entrees that they didn't have so when I went to order an entree, it was not available. The manager came over and just talked to us which was great because he gave us great food recommendations and apologized for not having certain items on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great waiter!cesca86Dined on 8/23/2014We stayed at the Hyatt Regency over the weekend and really wanted to try out the restaurant after hearing good reviews. We were very happy with the service as well as the food. I ordered the salmon and my boyfriend got the rib eye and we found everything to be delicious. I am obsessed with their mushrooms and truffle fries. Our food took 30 minutes or maybe a bit less to arrive. Our waiter, Tony Jones was wonderful, he gave us reccomendations on the food and checked on us often to make sure everything was to our satisfaction. We loved the hotel and would definitely stay there again, as well as eat at their restaurant.Special Features:
- Love near the elevatorsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/15/2014The food was amazing. Hence, the love. But, the restaurant is located in the lobby of the Hyatt. So, it was noisy and busy. And yes, there are elevators.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inside the lobby of the HyattnigelwVIPDined on 7/25/2014Last minute, disappointing, Loud as it's in the lobby of the Hyatt, a fact not mentioned in the description, slow service, food was great.Special Features:
- FSHSSDined on 7/11/2014After reading all those negative reviews we were not sure what to expect. We were presently surprised with how good the food is and the service was excellent. The menu has some very interesting items not just the run-of-the-mill offerings. At the same time they weren't too off-the-wall. We like the fact that seasonal and local produce were used. Helps to know we can, indirectly, help local farmers and food producers.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/6/2014The food was delicious and the service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A disappointmentKameleonVIPDined on 7/4/2014Article one is located inside the Hyatt hotel. They close for lunch at 3:00 pm but show availability for seating on open table. If you arrive after 3:00 you're seating in the lounge area and given a limited bar menu with hotel-overpriced options. Pass in this.
- The following 147 reviews are from the Article One - American Grill reviews archive.
- Quick breakfast spotRoofyrooVIPDined on 5/17/2014I had a great time. Service was professional and prompt. Breakfast was served in a buffet style.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing and overpricedRulaDined on 4/20/2014We went there for Easter brunch but were very disappointed with the location of the restaurant in the hotel. It was like dining in the hotel lobby. Food quality and quantity were not all that great. some foods, especially dessert was not replenished when it ran out.Special Features:
- The BEST Service for Easter Brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/20/2014Our large party of 8 adults and two very young children were given a banquet table in an alcove area in the restaurant to ourselves. We were very well attended and could not have asked for a more pleasant Easter meal situation outside our home.Special Features:
- Easter Brunch 2014OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/20/2014My family and I found this easter brunch on open table and we're happy with our experience. It is located in a hotel lobby area in a large multi-story grand concourse sort of atmosphere. The food was good and had many diverse choices. The staff was excellent attentive and kid friendly. There were some smaller intimate areas available as well. Parking was on the street and bit hard to find. Very close to the Capitol with a great view of it on the approach to the hotel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was staying at the hotel,DNNfromParktonVIPDined on 4/6/2014I was staying at the hotel, so was inclined to go to this restaurant. I was very pleased to find (and eat!) vegetarian options on the menu. The food was good and service was very good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice TimeBobKDined on 3/17/2014Oor party consisted of three adults, one local and two fromout of town, and one child. The menu had choices we all enjoyed and they were all good. The waitress was very helpful and friendly and approriately attentive.Special Features:
- Ok for a quick bite but...DionDined on 2/24/2014My Wife and I dined in here. We did not know it was located in a hotel. Pictures we saw were taken from a different vantage point so it appeared to be nice. It was extereemly loud there as there is a open bar across from the dining area. Patrons were entering and exiting the hotel close to the resturant and the escelators were right accross of the resturant. We waited about 35 minutes for our dish to be ready. was not worth the $65. we parked on the side of the street and the area was not lit well at night. The food was tasteful and the wine sauce on the steak (that I requested on the side) was distasteful at first but it eventually grew on me. and i'd perfer to have the cheese o the baked potato to be alittle melted atleast.Special Features:
- DisappointedSubparDined on 2/14/2014Increase wait staff on nights of large crowds; also ensure employees pay attention to their customers.Special Features:
- Great date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/13/2014The ambience, staff, food and drinks provided a great date night experience! We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprise Gem Hotel Lobby RestaurantCriticalDinerVIPDined on 2/1/2014This casual restaurant in the lobby of the Hyatt on Capitol Hill surprised us with five-star food (especially the rack of lamb and side orders of foraged mushrooms and sauteed sweet potatoes). Many draft and bottled beers, cocktails and wines by the glass or bottle are available (ask for the bar menu that describes the specialty cocktails). Excellent service. Not "cheap eats," but worth the price given the quality of the restaurant.Special Features:
- Good food; healthy optionsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/31/2014The menu was rather standard. But the food was quite well prepared. Everything was tasty. I really liked that they had a whole menu of smaller portions with healthy options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinner!DineinDCDined on 12/30/2013We found a voucher through Travel Zoo for 2 drinks, one app, and 2 Entrees for $59. Only way to go! The service was awesome. They let my girlfriend sample wines until she found one she liked. The food was excellent. I had the Ribeye steak which was really good. I highly recommend it. My girlfriend had the Filet Mignon which was also very good. Our drinks were always full, and our waitress was very informative. If you get a chance definitely check this place out, but get the voucher if you can.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the moneyAnnieDined on 12/25/2013We had their Christmas buffet this week and it was terrible. There were hardly any vegetables, the salad bar consisted of three items, no turkey, and only had three types of desserts. Very disappointing, and will not eat there again. Not worth the money.
- Great everything except ambiance.MattDined on 12/21/2013This restaurant is basically in the middle of the lobby with minimal separation, so it's not a great environment. The food and service were fantastic though.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great place for a groupDonGoneDined on 12/19/2013We had seven people, including a 13 year old and 11 year old, and had one of there private alcoves which was great. The service was quick and efficient when we told them we were running a little late for a concert. Food was excellent, with plenty of choices of great sides sides which made the kids' meals a breeze. Entrees run to steaks and chops. One of us had an excellent filet with bernaise sauce. Two had rib eye steaks. One was great, the other was not. Both were cooked well, but one of the cuts was just substandard with gristle instead of marbeling. I have no doubt they would have replaced it, had we chosen to object, but since we were rushed for time we didn't bother.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only if you're staying hereKirkinMDVIPDined on 12/19/2013What we liked: the drinks were good (but slow), wait staff was friendly and courteous. Bread was quite good. Our waiter explained that the main kitchen was shut down, and they were cooking from another kitchen. Three of us. Appetizers: Senate bean and ham soup (ok); caesar salad (requested without anchovies; but came with them anyway - does anyone ever really want anchovies anymore?). Risotto (dry and tasteless rather than creamy and rich). Main course: two filets (ordered medium rare, arrived quite rare; the quality of the meat was good). Sides: Brussels sprouts; overcooked and mushy, zucchini - blah) truffle fries - substandard - I like crisp. This was for anniversary; should have gone to Charlie Palmer's next door.
- If you have a group of 6-10ChipsDined on 12/12/2013If you have a group of 6-10 there are one nice semi-private nooks. Good for a business meeting or to get ready or your dy on the Hill, which is walking distanceSpecial Features:
- Just what we neededOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/28/2013We've been there before for Thanksgiving buffet. The staff was very friendly and helpful; especially patient with children. the food was plentiful, interesting new combinations. I wouldn't say that a foodie would feel satisfied but it was tasty, nicely presented, nice ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- These omelets were phenomenalDelectableVIPDined on 10/27/2013I went back for another omelet. I loved the customer service and the brunch lay put wasn't badSpecial Features:
- ExcellentMusselmanDined on 10/25/2013Our server was fantastic. Extremely personable and friendly. Swordfish was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good lunchKiwiDined on 10/19/2013In town got a conference, we had lunch at. Article One. The crab soup was disappointing - a thick cream with a few rices of crab. However, the fish sandwich was excellent. Very good service. I would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs sound insulation from hotelcamkingVIPDined on 9/14/2013This "restaurant" is basically in the lower level of the lobby of the Hyatt, with no sound insulation at all. All I can really remember about my dinner was the non-stop thud,thud,thud beat of the dreadful dance music that was being played in the upper hotel lobby. It was like sitting just listening to a drum machine for an hour with no variation in beat. It ruined my meal. The Caesar salad starter was good and the Bistro steak was overdone and a little dry. I couldn't stand the place any longer to try a dessert. If you can withstand the auditory torture, or are deaf, you might enjoy your meal here.
- Food was okay, ambience lackingmamafly2Dined on 8/30/2013We were on a tight time frame to meet a friend from out-of-town who needed to stay in the area. The reviews were decent, so we picked Article One. Was very disappointed to see how open the restaurant was in the Hyatt lower lobby - had expected something a bit more enclosed and warmer (as I've seen at other large hotels). Wait staff were very attentive. Food was okay overall, they didn't have ribeye or a variety of white wines (except the most expensive) as listed on the menu. The swordfish was delicious, but the quinoa & green beans were very salty. Side dishes are quite large. Our guest really loved the polenta with goat cheese side she selected with her steak. The restaurant worked for our needs, but I wouldn't go back.
- I only had a cheeseburgerCharlieVIPDined on 8/26/2013I only had a cheeseburger and french fries for lunch but I must say that both were perfect. I asked the waiter as I do at all restaurants when I have french fries to have them golden brown and crispy and 90 percent of the time my request is not honored. When I received my burger and fries they were cooked to perfection. The presentation of the food was great. All of the condiments were in the individual bowls and I had never though to put horseradish on a burger but it was great. I plan to return next week and try a different dish to see if all the food is cooked the taste of the customer.Special Features:
- Had a terrific dinner withGreenflashVIPDined on 8/8/2013Had a terrific dinner with my son. I had the swordfish wish was very fresh and not over-cooked. My son had the ribeye which was perfectly seasoned and of steakhouse quality. Portions were very large. Highly recommend, especially for people staying in the Capital Hill area.Special Features:
- Childrens menuGrandmaandGranddaughterDined on 8/7/2013Food was great, especially the salmon on the childrens menu. Service was very kind and thoughtful towards my granddaughter. Great location when touring the capital building.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first timerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/2/2013The restaurant is in the Hyatt hotel the food was great but or server was the best very notable an energetic was patient with us even tho it was way after closing timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hotel RestaurantseatingoutDined on 7/22/2013We realized that this restaurant was in the Hyatt as we approached the address but were to tired and hungry change plans. Good thing we didn't! Excellent food - had the halibut special - and great service. Deputed the setting, it turns out this is a great place to get good food at good prices in DC which is a food wasteland in the this area. Decided we may try hotel restaurants in the future.Special Features:
- Don't let the hotel scare youOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/10/2013Ok, now I realize from the reviews that people were saying this was a "hotel restaurant" but I didn't get it until we walked into the Hyatt. Thankfully we chose to stick i out. Our dinner was outstanding, along with great service. Interesting "healthy" options too. I'd recommend this restaurant to others and we will surely go back again when we visit DC again.
- OkOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/16/2013This place was ok for last minute brunch but could use some better buffet offerings for the cost.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful mealOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/7/2013I picked this restaurant specifically because of its menu, which offered good options for healthy eating. My expectations were exceeded. The food was wonderful, and the service was very attentive. My only quibble: the restaurant's location. It's smack in the middle of the hotel's lobby, so if there happens to be a convention crowd in the lobby (as there was that night), the aural ambiance is a bit diminished. Still, the volume was low enough for good conversation.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what we expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/12/2013Article One was over all a disappoint for a last minute brunch option in the Capitol Hill area. It should be noted that the restaurant is within in the Hyatt hotel; there is no outside entrance or even signage indicating its location. As far as atmosphere, this restaurant is basically a bunch of tables within the hotel lobby. While the breakfast options looked great online, they were no longer serving brunch/breakfast food when we arrived around 12:00pm. Despite having a hard time understanding our waiter, the service was decent. Luckily the Club Sandwich was decent otherwise this experience would have been a complete bust.
- Food was good - service was great.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/3/2013We had breakfast here with the kids before a day of sightseeing. Buffet had great variety and nice omelet station. Kids ordered off menu and loved the Belgium waffle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.