424 Central SE
Albuquerque, NM 87102Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.artichokecafe.com/
- Phone: 5052430200
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Richard Winters
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Susan Cianciabella 5052430200
A word from Artichoke Cafe
The Artichoke Cafe was reopened in 1989 by Pat and Terry Keene. Pat, who was formally trained in New York City, is executive chef and Terry has 30 years experience in restaurant management. Their dedication to the best in food, wine, and service has made this 120 seat restaurant one of Albuquerque's finest dining spots. Its downtown location on Route 66 in the Historic Huning Highland/EDO District, cozy modern decor and rotating art exhibits add panache and charm to its ambience. The food is a mix of French, Italian, and creative American, using only the finest ingredients.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Artichoke Cafe - Best Restaurants in Albuquerque ›
Artichoke Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
130 reviews since June 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (87)special occasion (76)neighborhood gem (65)romantic (51)notable wine list (45)great for lunch (25)good for groups (20)hot spot (14)vibrant bar scene (9)great for brunch (6)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Robert & SusanRobertVIPDined on 10/23/2014We can not say enough about this restaurant as our dining experience was one that we will remember fondly! This was our first time in Albuquerque, and Artichoke Cafe was the highlight of our visit. We have been around the world and around the country, and we have experienced so many wonderful dining establishments...A/C ranks among the very best that we have enjoyed!Special Features:
- A good find...OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/23/2014You could walk by this palace 100 times and not give this place a second thought. It's on a corner of east central surrounded by other newer food venues; but if you ever walk through the doors of this establishment, you will be hooked. From the outside the place looks small and cramped-but the place is actually very spacious and nicely laid out. The wine list is pretty extensive and the food is good; however DO NOT walk in thinking that this is a Mexican food restaurant-you will be seriously disappointed. But if you want a nice place to eat and/or entertain a friend; a place that provides a great alternative to the regular ABQ food scene. This is the place...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food good serviceabqfoodloverDined on 10/19/2014The restaurant is deceiving from the outside at first glance, because it's quite elegant once inside. A little crowded at the front especially if you're moving to the back for seats. The service was excellent, when more than 2-3 tables are filled it gets noisy and hard to hear anyone at your own table. A little pricey for the food servings, especially the artichoke which was hard to manage. Lamb was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best yet . . .bmwfoodieDined on 10/19/2014This was my first visit to the Artichoke Café and it certainly won't be my last. I can't understand what took me so long to try it. Not only was the food delicious, it was presented as works of art! Almost too beautiful to disturb but definitely worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love This Place!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Every time I am in Albuquerque, I make the Artichoke Café one of my stops. It never disappoints!!! The food is incredible, and their cocktails and wine are a great accompaniment to great food!!Special Features:
- Birthday Eventmikey1Dined on 10/17/2014We had not been to Artichoke for some time, but our experience was as we remembered. Food and service was excellent. Our only downside was that we chose a window seat in the bar, but the noise level there was dominated by one patron who absolutely had to be seen and heard for his own gratification. Fortunately he left midway through our dinner. Should have stayed in the dining room which was originally offered to us.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/14/2014Menu is creative and provides nice options. Service staff was efficient and friendly. Would recommend to anyone who is visiting Albuquerque.Special Features:
- A wonderful place and mealJimsCrewVIPDined on 10/11/2014Part of a wonderful meal is service. From the hostess to our server, Amy, to the lady assisting her, we felt cared for. The food was pretty, cooked perfectly and delicious. And, I don't think we have ever had better tenderloin. It was a great place to be on a rainy evening! Thank you.Special Features:
- Overwhelmed but attentiveSolassccDined on 10/9/2014I think they were down some servers when we were there. The table wasn't ready for our reserved time, and we ended up seated in the bar area which was very loud. However, they owned the situation and ensured our dinner was good and we weren't ignored. Food was quite good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovegoodfoodDined on 10/7/2014The food was excellent. The noise level was a little high. The service was a little slow. But overall, we enjoyed itSpecial Features:
- notagainDined on 10/7/2014made reservation early but waited 20 minutes for table. Hard to hear my table companion - very loud ambient noise. Cafe has too many people in space that needs noise reducing baffles. The food and service were fine, but will not go again.
- A very mixed bagMaryCDined on 10/5/2014Really liked the decor and overall atmosphere - you could enjoy conversation without being on top of others. For us dessert was the highlight (pumpkin tiramisu) because there were flaws in our other courses - caesar salad was drowning in dressing, duck had unusual sides that weren't really eaten and the overwhelming quantity of fries with Steak & Frites were also not consumed. Pretty wasteful. . .Special Features:
- best in the cityfoodavoresVIPDined on 10/4/2014Reliably excellent food, creative, interesting and changing menu. Great bartenders and offerings, informal and knowledgeable servers. Always a treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lamb shank luke warmjpk2Dined on 10/3/2014The food was generally very good and the sea bass that my dining companion had was great but the lamb shank I ordered came out luke warm. The entire plate with cous cous was not warmed up sufficiently. my assumption was they did not get the timing of the fish and the lamb shank right and they just screwed up. they took it back and heated it sufficiently but by then i was out of snyc with my dining companion so it threw the whole experience off. I did not ask for any adjustment but assumed at a nice place like this they would have automatically made some adjustment or offer free desert but nothing was done other than apologies from waiter and floor manager.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a tasting experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/1/2014The menu on our visit had some unusual/unique and interesting options: the salmon came with a "popcorn" puree...and it was to die for; also an apple/pear pie dessert that was not a piece of pie at all but four delicious empanadas; and a pumpkin-bacon tiramisu with a ginger/bacon cookie that has to be tried to be believed. Overall a great experience!Special Features:
- Perfect spotfreedog16Dined on 9/30/2014Staff were terrific, the food was excellent and the vibe was alive and friendly. This was a great find after travelling the southwest for three weeks and encountering mediocre fare. Food was particularly good and they really accommodated a food allergy to the allium family (which is no mean feat in a gourmet restaurant that relies heavily on onions and garlic). Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Energetic Dining in Downtown ABQLibtechgirlDined on 9/27/2014We had dinner for two at 7:30pm on a Saturday night. We had a reservation and were immediately seated. The restaurant was full when we sat down, always a good sign. Service was up and down, e.g. they tried to take our cocktail order almost immediately (i.e. before we could look at the menu) and then disappeared for a very long time before coming back to actually take the order. The service pace was off the entire night (appetizer arrived before cocktails, server forgot to take our wine order, even though we told him we were going to order wine w/dinner). Bartender/sommelier (unsure) offered a few tastings for us to choose our dinner wine, which was nice. Food was excellent- we had the artichoke, apple and bleu salad, chicken and pork.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerMomcatDined on 9/27/2014The wait staff and hostess treated us wonderfully. The food was outstanding and the selection not overwhelming. I have heard about artichoke from friends and it exceeded all expectations. We had a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently DeleciousDanielBDined on 9/27/2014One of my favorites in Albuquerque. Food/Service/Atmosphere are consistently awesome. We normally have dinner in the bar as the bar staff is phenomenal, but we made reservations for the dining room for this visit, the service was great. Also you have to try the salt/hand scrub in the restrooms, your hands will love you for it.Special Features:
- Delightful evening.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014Good food, attentive and courteous service, we had a lovely evening at Artichoke Cafe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cwabqDined on 9/26/2014The food was absolutely perfect. Branzino and Chinese duck breast. The wait staff was awesome. Perfect meal.Special Features:
- Consistently goodNMFoodieDined on 9/25/2014I've been to Artichoke many times and it is one of the few restaurants in town that I am never disappointed with. Certainly some visits are better than others, but always good. The wine steward offered great selections of interesting wine at affordable prices. I'm always a fan of their ravioli selections, and the other guests enjoyed risotto and some other specials. Overall, you can't go too wrong here.Special Features:
- Hard Choices!MikeVIPDined on 9/22/2014There are always many tempting items on the menu! It never gets boring or ho hum...either the regular menu or the special crepe of the day. I went for the namesake artichoke to start and then the fish and chips. Enjoyed them both. Next time the crepe maybe. I wish this restaurant was in the far northeast heights...we need it!Special Features:
- long waitflukeDined on 9/20/2014It took forever to get bread and 40 minutes to take our order. It is our favorite restaurant we celebrate special occasions there, we were celebrating my birthday and it was never aknowleged, we usually celebrate our anniversary and have always had great service. We will go back for our anniv. hope it was just a fluke this time.Special Features:
- Not worth the moneyDen2AbqDined on 9/20/2014We went to artichoke cafe before our play because it had been written up in many magazines. Everything was fair. The food was good, but not great. Our son had lamb and said it just tasted like a roast. The apple blue cheese salad was very good. Service was good, not great. It was quiet and we were able to have a conversation--something rare now days. The prices were expensive. It was given $$, but $$$ is closer to price range.Special Features:
- Nice experienceGreatDateDined on 9/19/2014the server was knowledgable and helpful. The drinks were good and the food was solid. As the name indicates the artichoke was great. Wonderful calamari as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, not greatEatacrosstownDined on 9/18/2014I recently had the grilled salmon for lunch. It was on a bed of Jasmine rice with Bok Choy and a sauce. It was an okay dish but not outstanding in any way. The bok choy was stringy and difficult to eat. The salmon was grilled in an ordinary fashion and somewhat overcooked. The sauce did not integrate into the dish. My guests seemed happy with their meals - another salmon dish and a chicken crepe which looked pretty good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Albuquerque ClassicosograndDined on 9/17/2014The Artichoke has been at its current location for many years and has served as an anchor for the (EDO) neighborhood's redevelopment. We can always depend on on interesting and high quality dining experience with attentive service and fair prices. The management is confident without undue pretense and the clientele is a nice mixture of mostly local couples and groups. Try the inventive and tasty signature cocktails. Convenient and safe parking too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best In Alburquerque!SandDollar1Dined on 9/16/2014We did some research because the dinner was going to be my Birthday dinner on our final night in New Mexico. Not only were my wife and I thrilled it turned out so well, I feel compelled to add my accolades to those already popping up on Trip Adviser, Yelp, etc. Quite simply, it was a great meal at moderate prices and I unequivocally recommend Artichoke as THE BEST IN ALBURQUERQUE!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary Dinner PerfectionSteveDined on 9/16/2014We always go to a special restaurant for our anniversary and this year this proved to be our best choice yet for this occasion. Our meals were incredible and the service was outstanding. When I mentioned to our waitress it was our anniversary, she served a special dessert at no charge and said some wonderful things to make the moment even more special. That is what makes a restaurant special for us. Thank you. PS - We have eaten here several times and have always enjoyed our meals, the service and the atmosphere. And - highly recommend the Artichoke Cafe to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good4everDined on 9/13/2014I have dined at the Artichoke Café for the last 30 years and it is always a nostalgic moment in a time when I revisit. I was pleased with my Cesar salad and really enjoyed the special of the day, Red Trout. My quests enjoyed their meal but one stated the lamb shank was too dry and the other the chicken was a little underdone. My server Joshua did a good job and handled all the requests with care and attention. So glad the Artichoke is still open and providing me with more good memories of New Mexico.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant dining experienceHahnechoDined on 9/10/2014This is an all-around good restaurant that we chose for my partner's birthday. Food was excellent to good, service excellent, and reasonably quiet so conversations were not strained. Some people would have been turned off by a street person begging for money inside the restaurant, albeit close to the door; was favorably impressed at the kind treatment of the person but definitely a surprise at a restaurant of this reputation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JMackDined on 9/10/2014Always one of my favorite places to go. Food is consistently excellent and the noise level allows for easy conversation, which I appreciate more as I get older. The pork belly egg rolls were sensational .and the Asian duck breast was delicious and perfectly cooked. Service was spot on. It is great that a place that is so good is also so reliable.Special Features:
- Special lunch gemGr8food4livinDined on 9/10/2014A girlfriend and I wanted to top off our Albuquerque shopping trip with a nice lunch and The Artichoke fit the bill perfectly! Deliciously prepared, beautifully presented, no hurry lunch with great service. The perfect addition to our girl's day out. I'm on a diet and my friend is vegetarian (accept for fish) gluten free and there were multiple wonderful choices. Well priced too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PhilDined on 9/7/2014Last year, we visited the Artichoke and our memories are very good. For the this new visit we were really not disappointed. All was perfect. Maybe, the service was a little sufficientSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Menu, Well-ExecutedbenaluDined on 9/6/2014Love the menu because it is different from most ABQ restaurants. Not only that, but dishes are prepared excellently. Wonderful food, beautiful presentations.Special Features:
- Great Place to DineOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/5/2014I was visiting Albuquerque and decided to check this place out because of all the good reviews. It was well worth it. First of all, I had Crystal as my server. You should be lucky if you have her as your server. I was dining alone and she help me decide on a couple of items on the menu and she checked in throughout dinner to see if everything was to my expectation. Besides the excellent service, the food is just as good. I decided on the lamb since I wanted to try something different. The meat was tender and flavorful and fell off the bone as I cut into it. I'm so glad I ate here when I was visiting and I would do it again if I'm back in town.Special Features:
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Outstanding service. Arrived at the restaurant at about 11:30 . Great time because we beat the lunch crowd . We eat at this restaurant every time we are in Abq.Special Features:
- Maybe a rough night...ForeversearchingDined on 8/29/2014This was my second time here and I must say I was saddened by the performance from the kitchen. The pork belly nachos were sloppily thrown together and missing the topiko garnish and the chips were a little closer to burnt than golden brown. My entree was the lamb chops and did not look like my friends did a few weeks earlier. I am hoping the kitchen had had a rough night as I plan to return at least one more time. The food is good overall but for the prices it should be great and plated with care. My fiancés goat cheese ravioli was ok. It was a mushroom tomato sauce, but we were hard pressed to actually see the mushrooms and the sauce was fairly thick as if it had been reduced a little too far. Our server was outstanding though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- abq'dsteffeDined on 8/27/2014My second visit lived up to my expectations. Food, wine and service were as good as I have experienced in any restaruant. Our waiter was knowledgeable, helpful and witty!Special Features: