424 Central SE
Albuquerque, NM 87102Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.artichokecafe.com/
- Phone: 5052430200
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Richard Winters
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Susan Cianciabella 5052430200
A word from Artichoke Cafe
The Artichoke Cafe was reopened in 1989 by Pat and Terry Keene. Pat, who was formally trained in New York City, is executive chef and Terry has 30 years experience in restaurant management. Their dedication to the best in food, wine, and service has made this 120 seat restaurant one of Albuquerque's finest dining spots. Its downtown location on Route 66 in the Historic Huning Highland/EDO District, cozy modern decor and rotating art exhibits add panache and charm to its ambience. The food is a mix of French, Italian, and creative American, using only the finest ingredients.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Artichoke Cafe - Best Restaurants in Albuquerque ›
Artichoke Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
123 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (77)special occasion (74)neighborhood gem (55)romantic (49)notable wine list (37)great for lunch (31)good for groups (15)great for brunch (9)hot spot (9)vibrant bar scene (7)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- An Albuquerque ClassicOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/17/2014The Artichoke has been at its current location for many years and has served as an anchor for the (EDO) neighborhood's redevelopment. We can always depend on on interesting and high quality dining experience with attentive service and fair prices. The management is confident without undue pretense and the clientele is a nice mixture of mostly local couples and groups. Try the inventive and tasty signature cocktails. Convenient and safe parking too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good4everDined on 9/13/2014I have dined at the Artichoke Café for the last 30 years and it is always a nostalgic moment in a time when I revisit. I was pleased with my Cesar salad and really enjoyed the special of the day, Red Trout. My quests enjoyed their meal but one stated the lamb shank was too dry and the other the chicken was a little underdone. My server Joshua did a good job and handled all the requests with care and attention. So glad the Artichoke is still open and providing me with more good memories of New Mexico.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant dining experienceHahnechoDined on 9/10/2014This is an all-around good restaurant that we chose for my partner's birthday. Food was excellent to good, service excellent, and reasonably quiet so conversations were not strained. Some people would have been turned off by a street person begging for money inside the restaurant, albeit close to the door; was favorably impressed at the kind treatment of the person but definitely a surprise at a restaurant of this reputation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JMackDined on 9/10/2014Always one of my favorite places to go. Food is consistently excellent and the noise level allows for easy conversation, which I appreciate more as I get older. The pork belly egg rolls were sensational .and the Asian duck breast was delicious and perfectly cooked. Service was spot on. It is great that a place that is so good is also so reliable.Special Features:
- Special lunch gemGr8food4livinDined on 9/10/2014A girlfriend and I wanted to top off our Albuquerque shopping trip with a nice lunch and The Artichoke fit the bill perfectly! Deliciously prepared, beautifully presented, no hurry lunch with great service. The perfect addition to our girl's day out. I'm on a diet and my friend is vegetarian (accept for fish) gluten free and there were multiple wonderful choices. Well priced too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PhilDined on 9/7/2014Last year, we visited the Artichoke and our memories are very good. For the this new visit we were really not disappointed. All was perfect. Maybe, the service was a little sufficientSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Menu, Well-ExecutedbenaluDined on 9/6/2014Love the menu because it is different from most ABQ restaurants. Not only that, but dishes are prepared excellently. Wonderful food, beautiful presentations.Special Features:
- Great Place to DineOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/5/2014I was visiting Albuquerque and decided to check this place out because of all the good reviews. It was well worth it. First of all, I had Crystal as my server. You should be lucky if you have her as your server. I was dining alone and she help me decide on a couple of items on the menu and she checked in throughout dinner to see if everything was to my expectation. Besides the excellent service, the food is just as good. I decided on the lamb since I wanted to try something different. The meat was tender and flavorful and fell off the bone as I cut into it. I'm so glad I ate here when I was visiting and I would do it again if I'm back in town.Special Features:
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Outstanding service. Arrived at the restaurant at about 11:30 . Great time because we beat the lunch crowd . We eat at this restaurant every time we are in Abq.Special Features:
- Maybe a rough night...ForeversearchingDined on 8/29/2014This was my second time here and I must say I was saddened by the performance from the kitchen. The pork belly nachos were sloppily thrown together and missing the topiko garnish and the chips were a little closer to burnt than golden brown. My entree was the lamb chops and did not look like my friends did a few weeks earlier. I am hoping the kitchen had had a rough night as I plan to return at least one more time. The food is good overall but for the prices it should be great and plated with care. My fiancés goat cheese ravioli was ok. It was a mushroom tomato sauce, but we were hard pressed to actually see the mushrooms and the sauce was fairly thick as if it had been reduced a little too far. Our server was outstanding though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- abq'dsteffeDined on 8/27/2014My second visit lived up to my expectations. Food, wine and service were as good as I have experienced in any restaruant. Our waiter was knowledgeable, helpful and witty!Special Features:
- Good food, service a bit ifyJohnDined on 8/25/2014My wife and I had dinner here on our last night of vacation. The soup was so salty I ended up sending it back although our entrees were excellent. Unfortunately the service was no better than a dinner, our server had no interest in doing anything above the minimum and she even messed up my wife's entrée choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would go againSketchnewtonDined on 8/22/2014Initially, it took a while for our server to come to our table. We were there with friends talking, but no one came by for a little under 15 minutes. Once we put in our drinks, we were pretty ready to order as well. Our table had the beef tenderloin, pork chop, duck, and chicken. All were good, but the curry with the chicken was surprising. The pork was the favorite of the table, after everyone sampled.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this restaurantgeorgiaonmymindDined on 8/19/2014We dine at this restaurant every trip to Albuquerque. Everything is top notch about this restaurant except the steak frite. They took it off the bill, which showed some class.Special Features:
- Amazing!RealfoodieDined on 8/16/2014We had a great time. Randy our server was great. Food, drinks and service was amazing. If people want the best that Albuquerque has to offer The Artichoke Café is on the top of this list. A must for any 'foodies' or 'wineies' :o) .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delectable.FrenchfriedgeekDined on 8/13/2014The food was excellent, the service attentive but unobtrusive. Anna, the bread/water/drinks/busser, was excellent! We spent about $75/person, but we had apps, entree, salad, and dessert, and a couple of drinks. I was pleased with the quality and flavor of the food. Great night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My first time....ForeversearchingDined on 8/13/2014After a few unsavory meals at what used to be our favorite restaurant, I believe we have found a new home. My friend had eaten here a few times and finally convinced me to eat here. I was not disappointed at all! The ambience was just right. It was warm and inviting and the staff was very friendly. Our server was always frank and helpful with our menu decisions. I could go on and tell you about our delicious plates but I will let you discover that magic all on your own. I find that it is getting harder to find great service more than great food. The Artichoke Cafe supplied that in abundance. Our drinks never ran dry and our plates never lingered on our table for very long. I highly recommend this place to anyone!Special Features:
- Great Service/Drinks, Food So-SoeatrealfoodDined on 8/8/2014We went to Artichoke Cafe for a special lunch. We started with the steamed artichoke, which was very good. The bread we were served was fantastic, as was the Caipirinha! nice ambiance. I was undecided between the Tuna Nicoise and Fish & Chips. The waiter recommended the salad, saying that the batter on the fish & ships wasn't his favorite. Well, the Nicoise was very disappointing. I asked for no tomatoes, and it was full of them. The tuna was large, tough, overcooked chunks; it was supposed to be tuna confit, which could have been delicate and nicely flaked. Disappointing lettuce. I ate less than half of it. My husband had the lamb salad, which he enjoyed. Will give another chance sometime in case it was an off day.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ARTICHOKE CAFE WAS GREAT!DenmichaelDined on 8/7/2014The setting, the food and the atmosphere was fantastic. The server did an outstanding job in meeting out needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy BirthdayspecialdayDined on 8/4/2014My husband took me to Artichoke Cafe for a special birthday and we had a wonderful time. We sat by a window and watched the scene, had some very nice wine and a lovely dinner. The waiter was very helpful and nice.Special Features:
- Lunchtime charmTastytreatDined on 8/4/2014Everything was good...even the artichoke. It came with a splendid aioli for dipping along with 2 other sauces. The salad with meat is beautiful, with lots of wonderful ingredients. The yellow tomato gazpacho was garlicky and good. The bread tray has lots of yummy picks. And the greetings and service could not have been warmer of more accommodating. We go back to Artichoke Cafe every time we are in Albuquerque and we are never disappointed!Special Features:
- They won we backFDDiningExperienceVIPDined on 8/1/2014We had eaten at the restaurant a couple of years ago and the service was terrible, but only for our table. The waiter was obnoxious and rude making us all feel uncomfortable and unworthy of being in such a place. I have always known the food was good and decided to try again. I am glad I did. Our waitress was very knowledgable, friendly, and professional. For appetizer we had a cheese plate with a little fruit and bread. (Add more fruit please) the cheese and fruit combination complimented each other very well. For dinner we had ravioli and steak. Just fabulous. I never finish any of the appetizers and dinner so I can have desert which was a flourless chocolate cake. Glad I saved room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special DinnerMooseDined on 7/23/2014A bit pricey for our middle class wallet, but our second time dining here. It is wonderful for a special dinner with the wife; we have been treated especially well both times we ate here. First class treatment but friendly, without the pretentious vibe you sometimes get in better restaurants. Food was very good, a visual and taste treat. Appetizer was artichoke with three different dips, very tasty and engaging to eat, without filling us up.I am steak guy, so several choices there and the rib eye was nicely cooked, I had medium rare but it was tending towards the rare side, which I prefer. Potatoes were the interesting part, got my green chile in. Wine suited the meal. We had no desert. Especially enjoyed the art on the wallsSpecial Features:
- Return tripLinnVIPDined on 7/21/2014I was in ABQ ten years and ate here. On my return trip I was not disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb ribeyeLongtooth79Dined on 7/18/2014Had heard about this place and been wanting to try it, glad we did! Great service, quiet and cozy ambience, will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Food wasn't great.Overpriced!VerydisappointDined on 7/18/2014Overpriced. Server wasn't friendly. Food wasn't that great .. Overall we were disappointed. Won't be returning.. sorrySpecial Features:
- Reservation is meaningless4theluvoffoodDined on 7/14/2014Due to overbooking, our reservation was not honored and we were not sat.
- Will go back!YennifairDined on 7/14/2014This was our first visit to Artichoke Cafe and it was amazing. We caught them on a really busy night, but the service was great and the food was outstanding. I highly recommend the beef tenderloin - yum!Special Features:
- Will not be disappointed.Ray60Dined on 7/14/2014Always a great choice for special events. My wife always chooses Artichoke for her birthday and our Anniversary. Food is always fresh and prepared perfectly. Been going there for over 20 years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Remains excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/14/2014Perfectly executed food. Correct level of unobtrusive, but attentive service.Special Features:
- Food very well donefortheluvoffoodDined on 7/14/2014The quality of the ingredients used are evident in sight, taste and texture. Seasonal selections were well paired with the entrées offered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful eveningSlyMongooseDined on 7/12/2014Truly a fine dining experience. Pork belly nachos were so inventive, using won tons, as were many menu items. The grilled peach ice cream was a total show stopper, perfectly accompanied by orange honey - Summer succulence captured like summer lightning in a bottle. Just amazing... as always!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious as alwaysDateDined on 7/12/2014My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our evening out without the kids for a delicious meal and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey but worth itJstrkingDined on 7/10/2014I rarely do $100+ meals but we were splurging. There were three in our party and we had drinks through desert. We went early so it was not very loud. The staff was very attentive, I drink lots of fluids and my glass was never empty. My wife had a house margarita and the ravioli. They were both outstanding. I had the steak Frits cooked to perfection with house fries I am not the family foodie, so I find it considerate that there is a choice or two for a limited palate. My mother in law had the nights salmon special that was so good she cleaned the plate. A feat I have not seen I some time. We all had different deserts that we shared. All were good if a bit pricey. All in all a successful outing for one not easily impressed. .Special Features:
- a great place for a date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/9/2014My boyfriend and I came here for dinner with a groupon deal. Food was fabulous and service was good. Being a fine dining server myself, I felt service could have been a little better. Although this visit was much better than our visit a couple months back, where we waited almost 10 minute's before a server came to our table (and it was the manager who took our order), and we felt like we were being brushed off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A happy birthday for MummyOTFirstTimerDined on 7/8/2014Took my mother here for her birthday dinner. She hadn't been to The Artichoke Cafe (TAC) in several years and wanted to return. A great choice. Ample wine list, very good food as well as very professional service. We split the braised tacos as a starter and had the apple and blue cheese salad and the french onion soup as our first course (both excellent). She had the scallops and I had the rib-eye as our entrees. Again, both very-well prepared. TAC graciously comped a shared dessert as well. Dinner for two with a glass of wine $118 (w/out tip). A good value in my opinion based on the food quality as well as the overall dining experience. We'll be back sooner rather than later.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On Central close to Parq HotelOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/28/2014We dined here for our last night in ABQ. Great dinner, though the restaurant was a bit crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st TimersOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/27/2014Took my parents here when they passed through Abq. Went here based 100% on on-line reviews are were not disappointed. We got a great table, we had a great, knowledgeable, yet easy going waiter, and the food was excellent! I will go again and highly recommend it!Special Features:
- Food and Service was goodEnjoytryingnewplacesDined on 6/26/2014The food and the service were both great at Artichoke -- it's a little pricey for Albuquerque, but not too bad. Had the crepe special and my friend had a chicken/cranberry salad that she said was good. I will go back again.Special Features:
- Great food and ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/25/2014We celebrated our 43rd anniversary. Great place for special occasions.Special Features: