11966 El Camino Real
San Diego, CA 92130Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.arterrarestaurant.com/
- Phone: (858) 369-6032
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday, 6:30am - 10:30am, Saturday & Sunday 7:00am-11:30am. Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am-2:00pm. Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday 5:30pm-9:30pm. Dinner Closed Sunday Bar: 11:30am - midnight. Special bar menu from 2:00pm - 11:00pm. Sushi Bar: Monday - Saturday 5:30pm - 11:00pm. Happy Hour Specials Monday - Friday 4:00pm - 7:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Jonathan Wills
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Entertainment: Live Music Wednesday through Saturday, 6:30PM-10:30PM
A word from Arterra
Arterra™, meaning “art of the earth,” serves American food accented with an eclectic blend of over 300 American wines. The distinctive atmosphere of Arterra evokes a comfortable yet elegant feel with the exhibition kitchen displaying a perfect view of the chefs at work. Arterra specializes in contemporary seasonal cuisine that reflects the diversity of American cooking culture: updated, refined and intensely flavorful. Produce, meats, poultry, fish, game and other products are harvested or hand-selected by local ranchers, farmers and fishermen exclusively for Arterra.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Arterra - Best Restaurants in Del Mar ›
Arterra reviews from OpenTable diners
15 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.3Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (7)fit for foodies (4)special occasion (3)good for groups (2)vibrant bar scene (2)romantic (2)notable wine list (1)kid-friendly (1)hot spot (1)neighborhood gem (1)Show More
- Poor choice for dinnerlynnVIPDined on 11/1/2014We brought guests from NY thinking Arterra was like it used to be. No chance. Wood table was chipped and never set up. Waitress was sorely underdressed. So noisy we asked for music to be turned down but were told it was a private party. Embarrassing evening and we won't be back. Apparently others felt the same way because there were maybe two other tables of diners on a Saturday night. Awful.
- Alterra SurpriseTedsBigSisterDined on 10/28/2014Too tired to venture out from the Marriott Del Mar for dinner, we decided to try this for dinner. Wow were we gkad we did! Delicious everything! Loved the chicken tortilla corn fritter soup & lobster mac n cheese; followed by lovely scallops in a marscapone sauce & hubby's "perfect" pork, med. rare like he likes it. Unfortunately we were far too full for dessert, but hoping one of the nights we're here to try some😉. Would come to eat here even if not staying at the Marriott.Special Features:
- Restaurant weekBwytwrMawrDined on 9/25/2014The restaurant week menu was not very balanced - for example there was no salad appetizer or vegetarian main course. The food was rather ordinary as was the service - nothing to get excited about here. It seems that Arterra is having an identity problem - it no longer tries to be an up-market restaurant - perhaps because of its in-the-lobby location.
- A pleasant surprisegiveitatryDined on 9/22/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our meal. The wait staff were extremely attentive (not many patrons in the restaurant). One of the chefs came to ask about our meal...learned they are looking for a head chef so kudos to the sous chefs who put this menu together!Special Features:
- Great for lunch meetingsLizThompsDined on 8/20/2014Located near the Carmel Valley/ Del Mar Heights business park, Arterra is a great spot for a lunch time business meeting. The food is the best in the area, and the staff is accommodating when you are on a tight time frame. I come here frequently with coworkers or business contacts and always opt for a salad with added salmon or seared ahi. I have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- The following 258 reviews are from the Arterra reviews archive.
- The Bar and Patio were more popularKathylynneVIPDined on 7/24/2014This was my first time at this restaurant. It seems most people hang out and eat in the Bar and Patio area where they have a nice sushi and appetizer menu. We sat in the dining room because we didn't realize this and you can order from all 3 menus there, sushi, appetizers and dinner. However, the restaurant was sparsely populated with two single diners and one two top, probably staying in the hotel for business. In retrospect, I think we would have enjoyed the Bar and Patio area better as it was more casual and energetic. Although we only ordered sushi, it was fresh and delicious. The dining menu was simple with about 8 options, including meat, fish, and pasta.Special Features:
- disappointingLocalReviewerVIPDined on 7/21/2014This is the 2nd time Arterra has disappointed us in the past 5 months. Not worth the $$ really. Soup was too salty, clearly a packaged one. Chicken leg confits were actually chicken wings, very dried ones. Service was super slow. And as for the view over the Hwy... overall very disappointing.Special Features:
- surf858Dined on 7/17/2014The cheddar burgers are really perfect, juicy delicious!Special Features:
- Great farm to table foodmbx2Dined on 6/30/2014Had choices we all enjoyed. Have a drastic food allergy and there were choices I was good with.Special Features:
- Excellent Food!JaxxDined on 5/23/2014All 4 entrees were cooked to perfection and tasted absolutely wonderful (everyone shared!) The lobster mac n cheese was delicious and could have made an entree on its own. Fantastic meal all around!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceDoctorCeeDined on 5/22/2014The manager Tracy made sure our visiting guests/physicians from China were well taken care of. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceDoctorCeeDined on 5/21/2014The food was excellent and the service was attentive.Special Features:
- not impressedRongDined on 4/4/2014I found the Arterra not up to my expectation of outstanding Marriott food and service. It was really loud and the food was not much better than a coco's experience at 3 times the price. It was good but not great.
- So soRCD2253VIPDined on 2/28/2014If I were staying at the hotel the restaurant would be fine, but wouldn't go out of my way for it. I had pasta primavera which was not good, my husband the steak salad and my friend the lamb shank. No one came close to wanting to finish their plate. Dining room is very cold, tiled floors make it feel like a cafeteria. Only one server made for is service. Would not recommend or go back.
- Great foodAnthonyDined on 2/14/2014Food was excellent and service was above average. Only complaint would be that meal was a bit overpriced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic and Delectable!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2014A fantastic evening filled with superb delicacies, caring servers, and romantic tables served up on Valentine's Day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, but quite loudJoc1977Dined on 1/22/2014We went for restaurant week and the food and service was great, but the noise level was quite loud. It was hard to have a conversation with the two ladies I was with. Overall it was a great experience.Special Features:
- Not very goodDelMarBillDined on 1/22/2014Very poor service. Could have been the night we were there. Food was just ok, nothing special. Thought it was not a good value.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experiencePhilDined on 1/9/2014The food choices were very good for myself and three guests. Service was very good. I found the noise level on a Friday evening too distracting. Overall will recommend.Special Features:
- We live in the neighborhoodLocalDined on 12/25/2013We live in the neighborhood and love coming here for lunch, dinner or just for a glass of wineSpecial Features:
- Business lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/29/2013A good place for a business meeting, convenient, and nice setting. Food is good and service attentive. Predictable Marriott Quality/Special Features:
- Food was good, service was poorcriticDined on 9/20/2013Food was very good. Service was very bad. The acoustics are terrible. The sound bounces off the stone floors and walls. This place needs softness such as carpeting and linen tablecloths to absorb the sound. There was in appropriate live music in the bar area - some guy playing the guitar in flip flops and shorts. This is not appropriate for a fine dining restaurant. The wine by the glass list is totally uneventful. On a good note, the food was delicious. However, the terrible service (due to the fact that only one server was on the floor) negated all the positive aspects of our dining experience.
- Meh.sdGALVIPDined on 9/10/2013The menu reads better than the actual food. I ordered the salad with the pom vinaigrette. Overall it was good but it was overdressed so the lettuce leaves very wet and sloppy and it caused the dressing to seem too sweet. But I think the dressing would have been perfectly balanced in taste if the salad wasn't overdressed. The osso bucco was promising and extremely fragrant upon delivery. I prefer my osso bucco a bit more tender and not garnished with freshly chopped rosemary which was overwhelming and really overpowered the delicate butternut risotto which was cooked perfectly. If these dishes were executed with a more deft hand, I would recommend this restaurant is Fit for Foodies. At this time, it is not. Table service was spotty.
- Was I surprisedtilesVIPDined on 8/20/2013THis place used to be a great neighborhood gem. Great food, service, vibrant. We went their for a family birthday dinner and were extremely disappointed. From service (a new waiter nervous as heck), menu choices were not what we expected yet pretty pricey. Food was so so. Wifes salmon was dry and overcooked. Ordered a desert for the table and it took forever. Mentioned it to the waiter and he said it would come out of the oven soon. When it finally arrived the bottom was burned and it wasnt the desert I ordered. Will not be back - too many choices for this price point
- Ordered a glass of viognierOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/9/2013Ordered a glass of viognier and was brought chardonnay "from same brand" as if that was automatically ok (though when I questioned, server offered to bring something else). Limited menu, food quality ok but nothing special. Very high noise level from lounge precludes comfortable dinner conversation.
- Hotel restaurantLittledogDined on 8/9/2013The short ribs (osso bucco) was tender but didn't have the deep flavor that slow cooking gives it. Seasoning was understated, and the side that was surrounding the meat was also short on flavor. Lobster mac and cheese was full of lobster chunks, but again flavor of the cheese was a little bland. Grilled scallops actually were excellent, good seasonings and prepared to a tenderness that rivaled sushi quality. The sushi roll with the spicy tuna and shrimp was excellently prepared with a nice chili kick. Overall, food was good, not bad for a hotel dining experience. But for the quality, I found the dishes about 25% overpriced as listed, meaning I can find this quality of food in most San Diego restaurants for less.Special Features:
- Nice for a business meetingJG22Dined on 7/11/2013Great food and ambiance....very conducive to a low key business meeting.Special Features:
- Less than thrilled.kvolDined on 7/10/2013Went in with a group of my friends to celebrate a birthday. When I made the reservation I noted this and while I was not looking for any give-aways, acknowledging this would have been appropriate. The food was just okay, nothing over the top. We felt very rushed by the server especially after we finished dinner when he brought over the check to us before asking if we were interested in dessert. In addition, acoustics were horrible and when we arrived at 7:30pm the music from the bar was making it difficult to hear the guests at my table. Overall I was looking forward to the experience and in the end we all felt disappointed. If in the area I might go back but honestly, don't feel I will go out of my way again to dine here.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs More SelectionsOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/9/2013The menu at lunch needs more selections...there was no pure fish plate available.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious fancy food!Vacationgirl98Dined on 5/17/2013Although on the pricey side the food was uniquely delicious and very imaginative! The service was outstanding & the staff was friendly. We made our reservation ahead of time & we were seated immediately. The food is what my husband calls "fancy" so it was perfect for our anniversary! Portions were adequate and wine list extensive. Expensive but worth the money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/12/2013Too my mother to Arterra for Mother's Day. The buffet was way overpriced and the food was mediocre. I was disappointed with the service as well as the quality of food. It was subpar and not worth the ridiculous amount of money I spent for three. I will no longer be going to Arterra, nor will I recommend the restaurant to anyone. Very disappointed.
- Arterra service wantingJimMVIPDined on 3/18/2013The food was not great. My cuban was tolerable but my companion's steak salad was inedible. What killed me was the service. We waited for over 30 minutes to get our food after we ordered. I have avoided Arterra of late because of the terrible service. The manager I spoke with was kind enough to comp our lunch and that will earn them one last chance to impress me. I am not sanguine about the outcome.
- Typical hotel bar restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/27/2013Typical hotel bar restaurant. Decent scotch and sushi is all that saves this place
- It has been a while sinceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/8/2013It has been a while since we went there. But the food got really good. It was a little too noisy...
- Very average. Went for restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/24/2013Very average. Went for restaurant week and the main course was good, but not on the regular menu (sea bass). Appetizer was also good - bacon wrapped dates. Dessert was just ok. Restaurant was loud. Wine list is not very good and a bit pricey.
- The service was slow althoughOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/18/2013The service was slow although the restaurant was not full and there was plenty of staff. The room was noisy and cold. The food was only average for a high priced restaurant. We were a party of seven and no one was overly fond of the entire dining experience. We dine out often hand have varied food tastes but overall were disappointed. We tried this spot for restaurant week to see if we would enjoy the experience but were not happy with our food adventure.
- Great for dinnernanakiyeDined on 1/16/2013This is a restaurant week review. I could not get enough of the lobster "mac n cheese." The quotes are appropriate as it was made of orzo pasta but it was truffle oil goodness. The lamb on farro entree was a generous portion and very well prepared. The seafood garganelli was satisfying as well. Desserts, though beautifully presented, fell flat. The oreo cheesecake had a stale, gummy texture and the chocolate cake was reminiscent of a Little Debbie cake.
- Not impressedBrunchloverVIPDined on 1/11/2013Food was good , but not great. The salmon was very fishy. Good business meeting place. I took my boyfriend for his birthday, but wouldn't go back again.Special Features:
- The food and service wereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/11/2013The food and service were great. I always feel welcome at Arterra!Special Features:
- New Years Eve dinner at ArterraMarkDined on 12/31/2012Good service, excellent food in a very warm relaxed but upscale atmosphereSpecial Features: