21 East 9th Street
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://arterestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2124730077x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Thursday - Friday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Saturday: 4:30pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact Martino (646)752-5966
- Private Party Contact: Martino (646) 752-5966x
A word from Arte Restaurant
"A vanishing breed between its kind, Arte Restaurant is one of those quiet, beautiful, best kept secrets with a comfortable, homey ambiance.The fireplaces, the outside garden and the romatic atmosphere combine smoothly with the Northern Italian cuisine.Continued
Try the Ravioli Aurora experience, sip the fantastic wines conveyed by charismatic staffers because in Arte our patrons are part of the family."
Try the Ravioli Aurora experience, sip the fantastic wines conveyed by charismatic staffers because in Arte our patrons are part of the family."
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Arte Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelQuiet
neighborhood gem (12)romantic (9)special occasion (4)fit for foodies (3)notable wine list (2)good for groups (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Food not very goodMahishiDined on 8/8/2014Ambiance is great and it's quiet. I'm fine with paying a lot for a meal, but at Arte, the menu is not imaginative and the food is not worth the price.
- Enjoyed ithockeymomDined on 8/2/2014Our friends arrived an hour late and since they were not crowded they were very pleasant in not rushing us. My husband loved his dish a seafood pasta. I had read reviews about a delicious truffle pasta but they did not have it this night so the waiter said he would bring me something like it. It ended up tasting like an Alfredo sauce which was fine but not what I had hoped for. Additionally a homeless person wandered in heading towards our table and I think they handed him money to leave which I thought was very nice. Overall I would definitely go back!Special Features:
- CT01VIPDined on 7/31/2014Arte is more of a traditional Italian restaurant where you get a nice portion of great food at reasonable prices. The restaurant itself is very pleasant and the noise level remains contained. What a luxury these days. Just that is a good enough reason to go there; add excellent service and a warm welcome, and there's no reason not to go.Special Features:
- Amazing little find!KatieGDined on 7/18/2014I was looking for hours for a fancy romantic place for dinner that wouldn't cost a fortune, and this was not only close and convenient but delicious, romantic, moderately priced, and overall a great experience! The staff was friendly and knowledgeable, the ambiance was great, and the food was delicious. Both my boyfriend and I had pasta with seafood and it was fabulous! He even forgot his watch at the table and they ran out to give it to us, great service, definitely would go back!Special Features:
- If only my plate hadn't been takenHenriDined on 6/19/2014Food was surprisingly good, ambiance was lovely and service was generally fine. But someone swooped my companion's plate away in a flash before she could utter a sound while she was still eating. If it wasn't for this it would have been a completely enjoyable eating.
- It has declinedOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/17/2014The most disappointing thing, having been here a number of times over the years (we live close by), is the attitude. The room itself has a sort of old-fashioned charm, although it could use sprucing-up. Food was really very good and the sole and branzino, which were de-boned at table side, were excellent. But the "captain" who takes your order behaves as though he is doing you a favor. His primary function seems to be strutting about the dining room making eye contact with no one, be they staff or patron. In the past there was a much more convivial atmosphere. After all, there are many other restaurants in the neighborhood. Ambience counts.
- ENCOREBobMarshDined on 5/10/2014It's always a pleasure to return to Arte. The entire experience is a pleasure. From the greeting by the maitre d, through the exit. Having the Black linguine a Mare was a pleasurable repeat, and personal favorite; expertly prepared & presented. A side of Fagioli and topped with Italian Cheesecake and Cappuccino, made the meal perfect. Will always return to this favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good experienceWalt46Dined on 5/4/2014We've been dining at Arte for years and never had a bad meal. Highlights are the branzino, deboned and filleted tableside, as well as all the pasta dishes. Risotto can be made however you prefer: with shrimp, vegetable, mushroom, etc. Quiet and comfortable space means you can actually have a conversation with you tablemates. Service is friendly and efficient.Special Features:
- Outstanding food and serviceOUtstandingDined on 5/3/2014This is our third time here and we have not been disappointed anytime...food for the 4 of us was excellent and the staff was exceptional. A very enjoyable evening thanks to the staff... In addition to the great food, they also have a very nice wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 196 reviews are from the Arte Restaurant reviews archive.
- Old fashioned in the best way!DadsDinnersDined on 4/25/2014I have eaten at Arte a few times, always with my aunt who lives around the corner. She's 94 and I'm getting along myself, so we well remember when a lot of noise at a restaurant wasn't considered a plus (nowadays my daughter tells me it actually is considered to show that the restaurant is a fun place). The restaurant is quiet even when busy, the food is very good, and most of all the staff has the kind of genuine courtesy without pretense that makes you feel welcome and understood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lilabelleDined on 4/19/2014I come often fpr dinner after a show..But my 15 year old's birthday request was to have dinner at Arte as her present..We dressed up more than usual and had a lovely time.I thank you..We pretended we were in Italy..maybe Milano....Thanks again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuckyDined on 4/12/2014We had my daughter's 18th birthday party at Arte Restaurant. We had twenty people set up at a long table in the back room. It was a lovely dinner. The service was outstanding and the food, delicious. The waiters were extremely gracious and the manager prepared artfully before we arrived. I would like very much to return for dinner with one friend to experience the delights of this restaurant without the distraction of 19 guests! I have only good things to say about our dining experience.Special Features:
- Lovely Italian restaurantJanetDined on 3/22/2014Red snapper was amazing! Ambience is nice, waiters attentive. A definite restaurant I'd return to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small,charming..nice neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/20/2014Small,charming..nice neighborhood restaurants! One of our favorites!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you live in Greenwich VillageOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/28/2014If you live in Greenwich Village Arte is a good consistent Italian restaurant to go to. The atmosphere is warm and inviting, and the staff is very friendly. The food is not amazing, but you will have a good meal every time you go there. It is a perfect place to go to when there is a snow storm or if you just don't want to go out of the neighborhood. I always leave the restaurant knowing that I will be back, because I can count on having a nice dinner.Special Features:
- Poor job of overbookingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014Arrived with a 9pm reservation and was told a table would be available in 15 to 20 minutes. As time ticked by, more and more parties with reservations were told similar times. As the night progressed, other diners with reservations for 8:30pm were finally seated at around 10pm. As 10:20pm rolled by without getting a table, but being assured one was just opening up many times (after an hour and 20 minute wait). The other member of my party and myself decided to cut our losses and eat elsewhere. My lesson from this experience, always have a backup plan. Making a reservation doesn't appear to be honored by a venue as I previously believed it to be. Note: We didn't have any food, so gave it a middle 3 stars as it is a required field.
- Delightful eveningZenaDined on 1/24/2014The staff and ambience is wonderful. We were disconnected while discussing a fireplace table and the host called me back to make sure I had no other requests.. My personal favorites of the evening were the grilled octopus ands the Bronzino. This was a refined dining experience with a friendly neighborhood feel. We took the NR subway from 49/7th and got off at 8th st NYU, only took about 15 minutes on the subway and a block and a half walk. The bartender and the neighborhood regulars are very friendly. We will definitely be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never Again!scottyVIPDined on 1/18/2014We ended up at this place because of the nice reviews we saw on Open Table. Food was tasty but outside of that this was not a pleasant experience. It began when the sommelier relentlessly tried to upsell a $75 bottle of wine when we were looking at $50 bottles. When the food was ordered it took 40 minutes for the apps to arrive. Then when we indicated we needed the next course in a reasonable time frame, it took over 30 minutes more! What was further perplexing: there must have been 3 waitstaff to every table all standing around appearing to have nothing to do. We complained politely to no avail. We asked for a check as soon as main courses arrived only to be ignored. Not a good OT partner. This town has MANY better choices for the price.
- Cozy in the VillageVernonDined on 1/18/2014We go often to Arte for the veal with artichokes and zucchini fritti: both excellent. Atmosphere is charming: fireplaces in winter, garden room in summer. A local favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasurefeliciamooreDined on 1/5/2014Good food and good service. A real neighborhood goodie!Special Features:
- Has been around for many yearsjaneVIPDined on 1/4/2014Has been around for many years and has been consistent - warm and comfortableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RomanticmattcDined on 12/14/2013Very relaxing quaint restaurant with very authentic Italian food. Great place. Ask to be near fireplaceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb experiencewc21VIPDined on 12/13/2013Relaxing, romatic environment accompanied by exceptional service. The Pork dinner was excellent as was the Fruitti Di Mare. The Calarmari appetizer was very tasteful. The restaurant's decor and ambiance made this a very nice experience. One of the best restaurants we have found and will be returning to during our next visit to NYC.Special Features:
- Very good ItalianQdogVIPDined on 12/11/20137 of us went just before a Christmas concert nearby. The host and wait staff was most accommodating with our time constraints and the fact some of us arrived late. We didn't feel rushed and they made us feel welcome and valued. The food was outstanding and all liked the dishes we ordered. We will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experiencecg2791Dined on 12/7/2013I came here with a large group of people and there was plenty of space for us. They were even able to accommodate a last minute reservation change (from 5 people to 9 people). The food was delicious and the staff was very helpful and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful service and foodDCNJVIPDined on 11/29/2013This is a fantastic neighborhood Italian restaurant (feels like it's family run). The service was warm and welcoming. Food was fresh and delicious. The space is nice with a fire place in the front on the dining room. Would recommend.Special Features:
- Has been in the neighborhoodjaneVIPDined on 11/23/2013Has been in the neighborhood for years and offers a plus to the areaSpecial Features:
- A bit too dark--it is difficultclaireyVIPDined on 11/20/2013A bit too dark--it is difficult to see what you're eating but the food is tasty, if pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special effort for the occasionSoyYummyVIPDined on 11/16/2013The staff made a special effort to make a birthday dinner a very special evening. They were a little slow to get us our menus and the wine list, but I think it was because they were waiting for our last two guests to arrive. They did, however, bring out some scrumptious bruschetta and bread for us to nosh on while we waited. This place has terrifically cozy ambience; we sat right by the fire in the dimly light bar area. The food was good and predictable; nothing out of the ordinary and very solid, traditional Italian.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we went to Arte to celebrateOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/8/2013we went to Arte to celebrate my husbands birthday with our 2 grown sons. from the moment we entered the restaurant we were treated with the most genuine hospitality. it is rare to find such service. the food was good, but the service made the night special thank you Arte!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I had the pasta, it was great.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/8/2013I had the pasta, it was great. The Tiramisu was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZINGV212dineDined on 11/3/2013Have to give a lot of credit to whoever is in charge of running this restaurant because many of the little things they do makes a huge difference to picky eaters like me and my wife. Everyone who came to our table is sharply dressed, smiling, professional, and friendly. We were treated like royalty-everything was spectacular...food, service, AMBIANCE, truly a magnificent experience, cozy, romantic, and TWO FIREPLACES...WOAHHH. A very memorable experience, HIGHLY recommended for a special occasion or any day of the week, you will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- HORRIBLE.KatieVIPDined on 10/27/2013My $26 veal special was hammered and then rolled up. The smoked salmon carpaccio was torn apart like a dog had eaten it. The waiter asked me "Do you know what polenta is?" After I looked offended and politely said "Yes," he continued to explain (as if it to a baby) what polenta is. Then he talked about the next special and its black truffle sauce to which he said once again "Uhm. Do you know what truffle is?" I (once again) looked offended and politely said yes to which he continued to explained what it was. I was extremely, EXTREMELY offended. Having been to Jean George and Mas (farmhouse) in the same month, this restaurant is good for college kids and old people, maybe. Feel free to wear yours jeans, by the way.Special Features:
- Arte is a gemJJB11209Dined on 10/25/2013Arte is a remarkable restaurant and definately worth a visit. The subdued lighting and floral displays lend a romantic air to the restaurant. This is furthered by the fireplaces and the delightful food. My girlfriend raved over the octapus appetizer and her pappendrella bolagnese which i can attest was rich and flavorful. My split pea soup was perfect for a chilly fall evening and the duck ala orange was superb. The bar service was swift and the drinks were well made. I found the service in all areas to be highly professional. I highly recommend Arte and will definately be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the food was great. this isOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/25/2013the food was great. this is a good place for a larger group as the restaurant was able to accomodate our group of 14 easily.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Food, Excellent ServiceJackie212Dined on 10/25/2013I had lunch at Arte, last Friday and I loved the energy first walking in. There were groups of 3 or 4 at every table and it was a nice way to end the week. I had the Dover Sol which my waiter Sammy recommended, and it was divine. Just enough flavor and very light. Service was well-timed and friendly. I had a great time and will definitely come back for lunch and dinner in the future. Excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very lovelyHappyDined on 10/18/2013Although living in the neighborhood for years, I had never been to Arte for some reason! The waiter was lovely with silly stories, dramatic review of the specials and providing a candle in dessert to celebrate the birthdays. The food was good. I was expecting the food to be more 'over the top' - but it was definitely good. I would recommend! Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attentive Service with Good FoodGayDinerDined on 10/5/2013We were a group of 7. This was a celebration dinner, and the restaurant let us order appetizers and after eating them order main dishes. This pace was terrific for our evening and much in contrast to some of the rush you along places. The food was very good--the staff explained some of the dishes with components that might be less familiar (bresola, for example) to a casual diner. Appetizer portions were perfect--eggplant special was great as was bresola with arugula and parmesean slices. Caprese salad not so inspiring. Veal chop--excellent. Cooked perfectly and good flavor. Pollo Arte was in a delicious sauce with crunchy vegetable accompaniments making the dish great!!! Waiter was there just the right amount of time.Special Features:
- This should be a "diner'sJBLEFVIPDined on 9/20/2013This should be a "diner's choice award" restaurant. We had the most amazing dinner, from start to finish one of the nicest dining experiences I have ever had. Beautiful restaurant, great food, top notch service, fabulous atmosphere...three entrees, each one that person's favorite dish of that kind they ever had. No rush for us to leave. In all, the most pleasant and enjoyable restaurant I have been to in a long time. We will be back over and over and over again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first time at Arte...fabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/7/2013first time at Arte...fabulous experience....staff was so attentive, courteous, knowledgable about wine.....food was excellent. Highly recommend Arte as an extremely pleasant and scrumptious dining experience.Special Features: