106 W 73rd St
New York, NY 10023Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.artecafenyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 501-7014
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Wine Bar
- Executive Chef: Miguel Qzada
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: We've hosted The Drama Desk Awards for the last three years for 400 people.
A word from Arte Cafe
Arte Cafe located in a landmark brownstone, celebrating 21 years of serving the Upper West Side, features a large outdoor garden with a water fountain or sit in our main dining room close to our cozy fireplace on a chilly evening Just steps away from Central Park presents upscale pan-Italian cuisine with artisanal homemade pastas, fresh meats, fish, pizza from a brick-oven and sumptuous desserts. Private rooms are available for all events and budgets.Visit our "Roman Holiday Room" for your next event. We also feature an amazing selection of wines by the glass, such as Barolo, Amarone, Barbaresco, Peppoli and smaller vineyards or try our imported Italian drafts such as Moretti Rosso and Peroni while having $1 oysters and $1 meatballs, calamari fritti, prociutto di parma or zucchini fritti at our bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Arte Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
176 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (109)great for outdoor dining (66)good for groups (54)great for brunch (51)fit for foodies (48)great for lunch (37)special occasion (34)romantic (34)kid-friendly (20)notable wine list (17)late-night find (14)hot spot (8)vibrant bar scene (6)scenic view (2)Show More
- Excellent food good service, dined earlyCasahoolyDined on 11/24/2014They had A nice selection in the price fixe, great wine selectionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodrandomfoodloverDined on 11/23/2014This was my second time visiting this lovely restaurant I will be returning once again, being that the food has been excellent both times and the waiter is always friendly and willing to explain items that may not be familiar to you, without using a condescending tone which I find very helpful. I recommend trying the Polipo which is Octopus as an appetizer and the White Chocolate Panna Cotta for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014Love this place. Mimosas and Bellinis are fabulous. The pancakes were great as well. Good options for a very reasonable price, especially in New York. I would recommend to anyone around the upper west side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsStephanieDined on 11/8/2014Wonderful experience with good food,service and ambience!Special Features:
- Terrible food and worse servicePeterr14Dined on 11/6/2014Dinner for two was a disaster. Loudest dining room ever with two huge parting tables. Mediocre cheese board led to gummy pasta and attitude. Never again.
- DisappointedCheflover313Dined on 11/6/2014Went with a group. Didn't know they had price fixe. We went for it because it came with a bread pudding dessert that we were all looking forward to. Most items on price fixe had an extra charge. After an ok meal were looking forward to dessert, only to be told we just getting sorbet. Oh well. And they wouldn't substitute. False advertising. Too bad.Special Features:
- can't go wrong at Arte's CafePenelopeDined on 11/6/2014Never had a bad meal here. Service always polite and competent. Food REALLY good and portions generous. One can also have a conversation without loud music to compete with. Great restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CultureVultureDined on 11/5/20142nd dining experience, just as exceptional as the first, one week ago.Special Features:
- BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/2/2014I enjoyed the openness and space not normally found in NYC venues.Special Features:
- When you need to eat Italian outWellseasonedVIPDined on 11/1/2014An okay place, popular with locals. It is huge, so the best thing about it is even if there is a line and you have a big party, you won't have to wait too long. The food is acceptable, so as long as you don't go with high expectations you'll be fine. The beverage service was a nightmare -- after many tries to get a vodka gimlet -- the waiter insisting the sugared rim and a lemon slice is the way it is served -- I had a nice cold beer. Stick to basics and don't have high expectations.Special Features:
- A lovely place to dineThe50sFanDined on 11/1/2014I have been to Arte Cafe many times over the years. They have economical prix fix menus and the food is wonderful. Conveniently located near bus and subway stops.Special Features:
- excelent fooderangel100Dined on 10/31/2014Outstanding food and a family place. The service was really focus on you. Is a non missed place con the west side bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbjbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovetoeatVIPDined on 10/30/2014food and service was mediocre. Wouldnt recommend this restaurantSpecial Features:
- A Pleasant dining experienceDQ88Dined on 10/30/2014The food was excellent as was the service. I found the wine list to be exceptional including by-the bottle and by-the-glass. Prices were reasonable and the menu offered ample selections and varieties, mostly northern Italy choices.Special Features:
- Food and atmosphere great but....WeLoveBrunchDined on 10/26/2014I made a reservation for this place based on a Thrillist review for Best Brunch Spots in NYC and treated my best friend for her birthday. The waiter took a very long time to even come to our table to greet us. After doing so, he took another 20 minutes to take our food order. The table behind us (party of 6) arrived after us and was served their food before we even ordered. Everytime we looked for our waiter he was at the bar staring into oblivion. When we got our food it was great! It was delicious and hot. The bus boy was very helpful and attentive in getting us any additional condiments. When our waiter finally came around, we asked him for additional napkins, he turned to the emtpty table next to us, gathered all the napkins from there and put them on our table. Really?? Will I be back? Yes, I love the food and the atmosphere, but I will make sure I dont get this waiter again!Special Features:
- ReliableTudaiseyVIPDined on 10/25/2014We come here often. Our last visit they changed the menu a bit but did not dissapoint. This time since it's gotten colder out they removed the outdoor seating in the front. So we had to eat inside which is fairly noisey but not impossible to deal with. We could still hear one another. I had the pasta primavera and hubby had the meatballs and pasta and both were excellent. The Caesar salad was shared and was enough for the both of us. We topped it all off with a cappuccino. The waiter at first thought we said a "cup of tea" so when he corrected it he didn't charge us the extra cost of the cappuccino which was nice. The cappuccino was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeAlizokDined on 10/25/2014At first we were not too excited about this place but once we got our food our opinion changed. Great food definitely coming back and recommending it to my friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice neighborhood placeEllemayVIPDined on 10/24/2014Had a pleasant evening. The special octopus salad was skimpy on the octopus and was not worth the price. The pasta dishes were very good.Special Features:
- zivitzekisDined on 10/20/2014always enjoy eating there . Very reasonably price and always dependableSpecial Features:
- Best Birthday My Daugher Ever HadOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014Took my daughter here for her 18th birthday after the Breast Cancer Walk. I made reservations and once we got seated and I turned around, the place was packed. My waiter was apologetic for not staying on top of refilling my Mimosa so he said it was on him, nice touch! My daughter had the Spinach Ravioli and to see her mouth water and her eyes roll to the back of her head when she took a bite was all the thanks I needed. My Eggs Benedict were to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpencerDined on 10/18/2014This restaurant is a good place to get your value for your money. The specials are very good too.Special Features:
- Great foodBikergal50VIPDined on 10/18/2014We hadn't eaten here in quite awhile, but am happy we went back. The service and food were excellent.Special Features:
- DissatisfactionElsewhereVIPDined on 10/12/2014The noise level made it impossible to converse. The wait staff was disinterested and unavailable.
- Good brunch!mmmpizzaDined on 10/11/2014Good food, nice waiters, no wait- definitely recommended!Special Features:
- Tasty but no serversWiglafVIPDined on 10/10/2014The food was excellent but we waited in vain for a server in the main dining room, then moved to the bar where the bartender was quite attentive, but had to go back to the kitchen herself three times to get our food. In other words, food service was nonexistent no matter where we sat. Everything tasted great but we'd have to go back again and get normal service before we'd recommend this place. Our visit was at 7:30 on a Friday night.Special Features:
- SolidRobmDined on 10/8/2014Solid food, decent prices for lunch.. The steamed mussels and bread were delicious and Chicken Pillard was done perfectly. Service was pretty slow..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average food, horrible service.bkfoodieVIPDined on 10/6/2014The service makes all the difference. I could be okay with the average Italian fare - the decor is sort of charming, and it is an easy neighborhood choice. But the service at my last visit was so very bad that it verged on hostile. Ordering mix-ups, rolled eyes from the put-out waiters, and when I ordered a bottle of wine, the waiter tried to sell me on a bottle twice the price (I didn't ask for his opinion). Definitely one of those times I considered leaving no tip at all.
- Delicious but loud and crowded1234Dined on 10/5/2014The food was very good and the waiters were attentive and responsive. The room were we in was small and very loud. People frequently bumped the backs of our chairs which was annoying. It was also very loud and was hard to hear on the other side of the table (we were a party of 5 sitting at a round table). There were lots of children around as well which contributed to the noise level. I think if timed well (go earlier) or request to sit in the back room (was very quiet), then it would be perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ugh terrible service!Foodie12345Dined on 10/5/2014This place used to be amazing I'm not sure what happened. Went for brunch on Sunday with 3 girlfriends. The waiter was in a total daze, took our order and didn't return until it was time to get the check. The guy who brought our food spilled our toast on the floor and could have cared less. Asked someone for butter, he rolled his eyes and never re-appeared. Would not recommend - there are much better places to go in the neighborhood!
- Totally not pleased with the food.BerdieVIPDined on 9/29/2014We used to like going to Arte Cafe but we were there for Sunday Brunch and we didn't like the food. Now we went for dinner this week with our son and daughter-in-law. The food was so salty and unappetizing and we did not like it at all, all four of us felt the same. It has definitely been downgraded on our list.Special Features:
- BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014The food wad excellent. I had a great meal. They also have great selections on drinks. The only negative I would say is they lack in customer service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dave CPickypersonDined on 9/27/2014We've been there several times they never disappoint. Had a family get together everyone walked out happy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/27/2014Previous experience was good. This time service was rushed and food was not as good. It was difficult to get waiter's attention. Food was dropped off abruptly. The weather was good, but we were not given opportunity to sit outdoors. We were shown to table in the middle of the restaurant. Very noisy.Special Features:
- Nice space, disappointing foodSFFoodieVIPDined on 9/27/2014Came here with my family last weekend. Seven people, seven different dishes. Space is lovely and the service was very attentive but the food was mediocre at best. The fritata was so overcooked it was rubber and the sauce on the pasta tasted like ketchup. Everything else was fine but not even of average quality for a casual Saturday lunch in NY.
- A Perfect UWS EateryDanRVIPDined on 9/21/2014There are hundreds of places to dine on the Upper West Side but the Arte Cafe is perfect. The meals are varied and tasty and the wait staff are prompt. We like to dine there on special occasions in front of the fire place or in the summer on the patio outback. Sometimes I just have a quick bite at the bar. For a casual night or a family gathering you will enjoy your meal and time at the Arte CafeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A consistent winner!BethyZVIPDined on 9/20/2014This is my go to neighborhood place. Great Italian comfort food served in a welcoming environment. Fast and friendly service. Whether you dine in or order takeout you know you will have a delicious meal every time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going Downhill?jordon50VIPDined on 9/20/2014I have been to the restaurant dozens of times in the last 10 years. I used to love it. But in the past year, the food and service have truly deteriorated. At brunch today, the service was absurd. The waiter was pleasant but inattentive and honestly pretty stupid (example: when my friend, a former alcoholic, ordered a Virgin Blood Mary, he pushed her to have alcohol in it!). The food arrived, including an omelet that was wet because it was covered with the salad, and eggs benedict that were ice cold and served on an untoasted English muffin. Inedible. It took us forever to get the bill and then to get the waiter back for us to pay it. This has been happening too often here. Sadly, I suspect that I won't be returning.Special Features:
- Horrible service and foodDinerUWSVIPDined on 9/19/2014The service was horrible. The waitor tossed the bread on the table and toss the salad plate. He asked us for drink orders without providing a wine menu. The food took an hour to come out for us two customers when the restaurant was not busy. Once the food came out, I was handed an entrée that I did not order and repeatedly told the server that I ordered chicken parmesan. The server didn't speak English and just kept saying "lasagna?" The wait staff disappeared for long periods of time. I had to go up to the hostess to ask to speak to the manager. She brings to the front the "manager" who appeared to be a bus boy who put on a sports coat. We walked out of the restaurant.
- A reliable UWS restaurantlove2eatoutDined on 9/13/2014This is a delightful restaurant I am always confident in suggesting when asked to come up with a place to meet for dinner. The ambiance, food, location and prices are all great. I appreciate the outdoor spaces - the back garden is quite lovely in warm weather and the front outdoor space enables diners to be outside without having street traffic right next to one's table. There is a cozy, friendly feeling inside - will keep this on my 'go to' list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/13/2014This choice is always a great one. When in season the backyard garden is really nice. The front patio is also fun, you can people watch and eat really delicious food! I have dined with family, with friends,solo and with a date! If you are dining solo it is a friendly comfortable place.Don't waste these lovely fall days, sit outside for brunch or lunch! (We tried a lot of different pastas , eggplant parmigiana (don't be afraid to ask for less cheese if you are eating light) delicious! The frittata is very good and the bacon is crispy!Special Features: