106 W 73rd St
New York, NY 10023Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.artecafenyc.com/
- Phone: 2125017014
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Camillo Bassani
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Large private and semi private rooms available.
- Private Party Contact: Victor Lopez 2125017014
- Special Events: We've hosted The Drama Desk Awards for the last three years for 400 people.
A word from Arte Cafe
Arte Cafe located in a landmark brownstone, features a large outdoor garden with a water fountain. Just steps away from Central Park, Chef Camillo Bassani, formally from the Hasseler Hotel in Rome, presents upscale pan-Italian cuisine with homemade pastas, fresh meats, fish, pizza from a brick-oven and sumptuous desserts. Private rooms are available for all events and budgets.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Arte Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
146 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (92)great for outdoor dining (85)great for brunch (41)good for groups (41)romantic (34)great for lunch (34)fit for foodies (33)special occasion (30)kid-friendly (16)late-night find (9)notable wine list (8)hot spot (7)vibrant bar scene (5)scenic view (1)Show More
- BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014The food wad excellent. I had a great meal. They also have great selections on drinks. The only negative I would say is they lack in customer service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Perfect UWS EateryDanRVIPDined on 9/21/2014There are hundreds of places to dine on the Upper West Side but the Arte Cafe is perfect. The meals are varied and tasty and the wait staff are prompt. We like to dine there on special occasions in front of the fire place or in the summer on the patio outback. Sometimes I just have a quick bite at the bar. For a casual night or a family gathering you will enjoy your meal and time at the Arte CafeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A consistent winner!BethyZVIPDined on 9/20/2014This is my go to neighborhood place. Great Italian comfort food served in a welcoming environment. Fast and friendly service. Whether you dine in or order takeout you know you will have a delicious meal every time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going Downhill?jordon50VIPDined on 9/20/2014I have been to the restaurant dozens of times in the last 10 years. I used to love it. But in the past year, the food and service have truly deteriorated. At brunch today, the service was absurd. The waiter was pleasant but inattentive and honestly pretty stupid (example: when my friend, a former alcoholic, ordered a Virgin Blood Mary, he pushed her to have alcohol in it!). The food arrived, including an omelet that was wet because it was covered with the salad, and eggs benedict that were ice cold and served on an untoasted English muffin. Inedible. It took us forever to get the bill and then to get the waiter back for us to pay it. This has been happening too often here. Sadly, I suspect that I won't be returning.Special Features:
- Horrible service and foodDinerUWSVIPDined on 9/19/2014The service was horrible. The waitor tossed the bread on the table and toss the salad plate. He asked us for drink orders without providing a wine menu. The food took an hour to come out for us two customers when the restaurant was not busy. Once the food came out, I was handed an entrée that I did not order and repeatedly told the server that I ordered chicken parmesan. The server didn't speak English and just kept saying "lasagna?" The wait staff disappeared for long periods of time. I had to go up to the hostess to ask to speak to the manager. She brings to the front the "manager" who appeared to be a bus boy who put on a sports coat. We walked out of the restaurant.
- A reliable UWS restaurantlove2eatoutDined on 9/13/2014This is a delightful restaurant I am always confident in suggesting when asked to come up with a place to meet for dinner. The ambiance, food, location and prices are all great. I appreciate the outdoor spaces - the back garden is quite lovely in warm weather and the front outdoor space enables diners to be outside without having street traffic right next to one's table. There is a cozy, friendly feeling inside - will keep this on my 'go to' list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/13/2014This choice is always a great one. When in season the backyard garden is really nice. The front patio is also fun, you can people watch and eat really delicious food! I have dined with family, with friends,solo and with a date! If you are dining solo it is a friendly comfortable place.Don't waste these lovely fall days, sit outside for brunch or lunch! (We tried a lot of different pastas , eggplant parmigiana (don't be afraid to ask for less cheese if you are eating light) delicious! The frittata is very good and the bacon is crispy!Special Features:
- This city sleeps.CertaldoDined on 9/7/2014The food is usually good here and it has a nice outdoor dining area on West 73rd Street which is not noisy. They also have a patio for dining in the back, but it was closed on a warm, late summer night. When I arrived to claim my reservation they asked where I wanted to be seated, which I found odd, since I specified where on my Open Table reservation. Luckily they had one table still available outdoors in front. We had a reservation for 8 PM which is a typical dining time for most of us here in the city. There was not time for dessert since the kitchen had already closed by the time we had finished our meal. The staff was cleaning up and taking in the tables and chairs as we were still sitting there! We did dessert elsewhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable Neighborhood GemthediplomatDined on 9/7/2014Arte is a consistently reliable dining experience in terms of food, service and ambiance. We have had lunch, dinner and now brunch there and found each time highly enjoyable.Special Features:
- poor service, burnt foodOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/7/2014I went for a Sun brunch. We got our bread AFTER the meal was over, Eggs benedict toast was hard as a rock, pancakes were burnt, table was wobbly (they couldn't fix it), waiter was gruff and complained TO US about being too busy. I was mortified since I brought my guests there from out of town. Dinner was always reliable here and I have been going there for over ten years. But I would never go back for brunch. It was the worst brunch service I have experienced in my 15 years in NYC!
- Perfect!pastabastaDined on 9/6/2014We love this place! Fresh, delicious food and absolutely a must if you value authentic Italian cooking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatTudaiseyDined on 9/5/2014Invited our two friends who were there for the first time and they loved it. We sat outside in the front area and had our little maltipoo with us. It was a bit warm out, but you can't control that! Food was excellent. Even their gluten free dish for our friend was excellent. I had the pasta primavera this time and it was delicious. Will come back again and again!Special Features:
- Good Basic Italian FoodJanDVIPDined on 9/1/2014They are a neighborhood staple and have been consistently good for many years. I love it when the garden is open, but sitting in the front was very nice. The service was slower than usual this time but its usually quite good.Special Features:
- Very enjoyable!veganfoodieDined on 9/1/2014I went to Cafe Arte on recommendation, and I found it to be all that my recommenders said it would be. My only real "complaint" is that I often had to wait for water refills for a substantial amount of time. But otherwise it was a fantastic experience. One suggestion: more vegan options--the ones you have are wonderful, and I think there could be some more equally delectable ones.Special Features:
- Always greatTudaiseyDined on 8/30/2014Had another fabulous evening sitting outside in the front area of the restaurant. Ordered the spinach ricotta ravioli this time. Fabulous! Going again this weekend with friends. My hubby got the pizza with pepperoni. Also delicious. Nice thin crust. Shared the Caesar salad. Everything was perfect.Special Features:
- dinnerNYCBBDined on 8/29/2014Ate on the patio. Was quiet, food delicious, service good. Liked it well enough to buy a gift certificate for a friend. had veal piccata - was tender and deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable and fabulousTudaiseyDined on 8/27/2014We love this place. Went with our family in from Chicago and my sister in law said that the pesto dish was the best she has ever had! We sat outside in the front area which is below street level which makes it even nicer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian on upper west sideCgswildcatDined on 8/26/2014Our group of 6 went after a long day of covering Manhattan as tourists. Convenient walk from hotel, great food and service. Lovely tables street side.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/25/2014Neighborhood restaurant with good, solid food. Attentive staff and happy to please. Salads seemed plentiful. Salmon entree a bit skimpy. Pasta was good. No complaints from guests. Nice bread basket. Noise level easy to converse with others.Special Features:
- il mangiare fuoriNolaVIPDined on 8/24/2014Great place, especially in warmer weather, because you can eat outside in either the front or back garden. The food was great, the pasta al dente. The preparation was very important because we took our Italian friends. We would definitely go back.Special Features:
- ExcellentExcellentVIPDined on 8/18/2014First time there and would definitely go back if in the neighborhood. For and service were both good.Special Features:
- Looking forward to a return visitLoves2dineoutDined on 8/16/2014Arte Cafe was recommended by a friend who lives on the Upper West Side & I must say is a judge of good food from prior recommendations. We were 4 people for dinner. All had different entrees & everyone enjoyed their selections. Portion sizes were large, salads were large enough for two people to share, those that had dessert truly enjoyed their treats. Our waitress was very attentive as was her assistant. Lovely ambience as well. I most certainly will return & have already spoken about this neighborhood charmer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AngieVIPDined on 8/15/2014Beautiful outdoor garden. Service was adequate. Reasonably priced wine list. Food was just okay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite New York dinning spot.HankNYCDiningDined on 8/13/2014I have been coming to Arte Cafe for more than twenty years. It holds a special place in my heart. Part of my love affair with New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Find!mvickieaDined on 8/13/2014Needed a close location to the Beacon for a show and found Arte Cafe. It's a little hidden being off the main avenue, but that makes it more intimate and less noisy than a place right on Columbus. We didn't check the wine menu, but they offer quite a few selections by the glass. The food menu offerings offered something for everyone, pasta, meat, fish, pizza, salads. We went with pasta since we were under the gun for time, but I would like to come back and try a full selection of dishes. The service was very friendly and efficient.Special Features:
- Good enough to return . . soon!dinetimeDined on 8/10/2014Very pleased with all--the food, the drinks (perfect martini made the way I asked) and good service. Will definitely return to try many dishes that I considered appealing. I will not be a stranger.Special Features:
- ArteDined on 8/10/2014We enjoyed eating outside, and the food and service were very good.Special Features:
- Great first experiencebbessaDined on 8/6/2014It was our first time there and we loved it. The calamari appetizer was delicious. The four cheese pasta I ordered was also really good. I can't remember everything we ordered but everything was really good. I made a reservation for 9pm and we were seated immediately. The staff was very friendly. There is outdoor sitting as well. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodJanDVIPDined on 8/6/2014This neighborhood Italian restaurant has consistently good food. I love eating in the garden in the good weather. Otherwise, inside its too noisy for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, poor serviceladymoVIPDined on 8/5/2014It's great food but poor service all around. I was really disppointed b/c the food was good they need to train the staff to be more professional, prompt and alert.Special Features:
- Dependably Good for early DinnersTJreviewDined on 8/4/2014This is our dependably good place for dinner, especially before the theater or Lincoln Center. Unlike most restaurants in the area, they're open all afternoon so, whatever time you come, they'll have service. Their lunch special (which is served til 6 PM!) is a great bargain and the food is dependably quite delicious. The service, however, is not so good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outdoor DiningProfDined on 8/3/2014We were seated in the garden at the rear and it was perfect for brunch(and I would think for dinner as well).Highly recommend edSpecial Features:
- Lovely brunch in garden.JervVIPDined on 8/2/2014Everything was just so nice. We had a pleasant brunch just what we wanted for a beautful Saturday afternoon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pepperoniDined on 8/1/2014VERY ARTFUL AND GREAT ITALIAN FLARE. FOOD IS EXCEPTIONAL. TAKE YOUR RELATIVES THAT COME TO VISIT ESPECIALLY FROM ITALY THEY FEEL AT HOME.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MartBDined on 8/1/2014We are attending a production of King Lear in Central Park @ the Delcarote Theater. I've always loved Arte Café. It was a great choice. My daughter & two of her colleagues of her Company joined me. The appetizers, dinner selection, wine & beer were all wonderful. Great service by our waiter who also recommend the great Brooklyn Beer, wine & appetizers. Next time we go we'll sit out doors (which I never do in NYC) but here it would be lovely. Can't recommend this wonderful restaurant for it's value, ambiance, wonderful food & great staff. ThanksSpecial Features:
- Short-staffed for the evening??GW2013Dined on 7/29/2014Upon arriving for dinner, the hostess kindly accommodated our request to dine outside. After being seated and given menus, it took over 10 minutes for a waiter to take the order, more than 10 minutes for drinks to arrive, and more than 15 minutes for appetizers. He forgot the order, and the food was hastily assembled; you could tell it was quickly thrown onto a plate. Then, after asking three servers/busboys for plates, my companion had to get up and ask the kitchen for plates himself. While the food was mostly good, as it usually is, the service was terrible and lacking. It was embarrassing for me to have recommended the restaurant to a friend, who owns a restaurant in San Francisco, and whose service is top notch.Special Features:
- Great food. Average Service.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/26/2014We went to Arte Cafe on a Saturday at 11am for brunch. The overall environment was very comfortable and casual, but I was disappointed with the service. It took 10 minutes for us to get a glass of water and get the waitstaff's attention. There was only one other table at this time, so it was not an excuse of being too busy. The food was decent. Fairly large portions for the money.Special Features:
- Love Arte CafeJanDVIPDined on 7/25/2014I've been going to Arte Cafe for many years. I'm so happy that their outdoor garden has reopened. It's a terrific space and quieter than inside. The food is delicious. I had salmon cooked to perfection. The 3 people I was with also loved their mealsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReliablealikVIPDined on 7/25/2014Never a bad meal -- consistently good experience for food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific Outoor Dining!PortiaDined on 7/24/2014Arte Cafe is more than a neighborhood favorite - it's one of our favorite places for outdoor dining in all of the UWS. There are two outdoor dining areas - in a protected area facing 73rd St, which hardly has any street traffic and is both lovely and fun for people-watching, and a back garden. The other evening we had a birthday party for a friend there - the staff quickly put together 3 tables for a cozy party. For apetizers we ordered a selection of cheeses and meats that was perfect. The pasta is excellent, and there's a great selection of wines - we especially like the Italian options. All reasonably priced. We also enjoy Arte around the Corner - which offers some of the same menu items and even more , including great salads.Special Features: