106 W 73rd St
New York, NY 10023Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.artecafenyc.com/
- Phone: 2125017014x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Camillo Bassani
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: We've hosted The Drama Desk Awards for the last three years for 400 people.
A word from Arte Cafe
Arte Cafe located in a landmark brownstone, celebrating 21 years of serving the Upper West Side, features a large outdoor garden with a water fountain. Just steps away from Central Park presents upscale pan-Italian cuisine with homemade pastas, fresh meats, fish, pizza from a brick-oven and sumptuous desserts. Private rooms are available for all events and budgets.Visit our "Roman Holiday Room" for your next event. We also feature an amazing selection of wines by the glass, such as Barolo, Amarone, Barbaresco, Peppoli and smaller vineyards or try our imported Italian drafts such as Moretti Rosso and Peroni while having $1 oysters and $1 meatballs, calamari fritti or zucchini fritti at our bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Arte Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
154 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (96)great for outdoor dining (76)great for brunch (47)good for groups (44)fit for foodies (38)great for lunch (35)romantic (34)special occasion (30)kid-friendly (17)late-night find (9)hot spot (8)vibrant bar scene (7)notable wine list (7)scenic view (1)Show More
- Best Birthday My Daugher Ever HadOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014Took my daughter here for her 18th birthday after the Breast Cancer Walk. I made reservations and once we got seated and I turned around, the place was packed. My waiter was apologetic for not staying on top of refilling my Mimosa so he said it was on him, nice touch! My daughter had the Spinach Ravioli and to see her mouth water and her eyes roll to the back of her head when she took a bite was all the thanks I needed. My Eggs Benedict were to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpencerDined on 10/18/2014This restaurant is a good place to get your value for your money. The specials are very good too.Special Features:
- Great foodBikergal50VIPDined on 10/18/2014We hadn't eaten here in quite awhile, but am happy we went back. The service and food were excellent.Special Features:
- DissatisfactionElsewhereDined on 10/12/2014The noise level made it impossible to converse. The wait staff was disinterested and unavailable.
- Good brunch!mmmpizzaDined on 10/11/2014Good food, nice waiters, no wait- definitely recommended!Special Features:
- Tasty but no serversOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/10/2014The food was excellent but we waited in vain for a server in the main dining room, then moved to the bar where the bartender was quite attentive, but had to go back to the kitchen herself three times to get our food. In other words, food service was nonexistent no matter where we sat. Everything tasted great but we'd have to go back again and get normal service before we'd recommend this place. Our visit was at 7:30 on a Friday night.Special Features:
- SolidRobmDined on 10/8/2014Solid food, decent prices for lunch.. The steamed mussels and bread were delicious and Chicken Pillard was done perfectly. Service was pretty slow..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average food, horrible service.bkfoodieVIPDined on 10/6/2014The service makes all the difference. I could be okay with the average Italian fare - the decor is sort of charming, and it is an easy neighborhood choice. But the service at my last visit was so very bad that it verged on hostile. Ordering mix-ups, rolled eyes from the put-out waiters, and when I ordered a bottle of wine, the waiter tried to sell me on a bottle twice the price (I didn't ask for his opinion). Definitely one of those times I considered leaving no tip at all.
- Delicious but loud and crowded1234Dined on 10/5/2014The food was very good and the waiters were attentive and responsive. The room were we in was small and very loud. People frequently bumped the backs of our chairs which was annoying. It was also very loud and was hard to hear on the other side of the table (we were a party of 5 sitting at a round table). There were lots of children around as well which contributed to the noise level. I think if timed well (go earlier) or request to sit in the back room (was very quiet), then it would be perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ugh terrible service!Foodie12345Dined on 10/5/2014This place used to be amazing I'm not sure what happened. Went for brunch on Sunday with 3 girlfriends. The waiter was in a total daze, took our order and didn't return until it was time to get the check. The guy who brought our food spilled our toast on the floor and could have cared less. Asked someone for butter, he rolled his eyes and never re-appeared. Would not recommend - there are much better places to go in the neighborhood!
- Totally not pleased with the food.BerdieVIPDined on 9/29/2014We used to like going to Arte Cafe but we were there for Sunday Brunch and we didn't like the food. Now we went for dinner this week with our son and daughter-in-law. The food was so salty and unappetizing and we did not like it at all, all four of us felt the same. It has definitely been downgraded on our list.Special Features:
- BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014The food wad excellent. I had a great meal. They also have great selections on drinks. The only negative I would say is they lack in customer service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dave CPickypersonDined on 9/27/2014We've been there several times they never disappoint. Had a family get together everyone walked out happy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/27/2014Previous experience was good. This time service was rushed and food was not as good. It was difficult to get waiter's attention. Food was dropped off abruptly. The weather was good, but we were not given opportunity to sit outdoors. We were shown to table in the middle of the restaurant. Very noisy.Special Features:
- Nice space, disappointing foodSFFoodieVIPDined on 9/27/2014Came here with my family last weekend. Seven people, seven different dishes. Space is lovely and the service was very attentive but the food was mediocre at best. The fritata was so overcooked it was rubber and the sauce on the pasta tasted like ketchup. Everything else was fine but not even of average quality for a casual Saturday lunch in NY.
- A Perfect UWS EateryDanRVIPDined on 9/21/2014There are hundreds of places to dine on the Upper West Side but the Arte Cafe is perfect. The meals are varied and tasty and the wait staff are prompt. We like to dine there on special occasions in front of the fire place or in the summer on the patio outback. Sometimes I just have a quick bite at the bar. For a casual night or a family gathering you will enjoy your meal and time at the Arte CafeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A consistent winner!BethyZVIPDined on 9/20/2014This is my go to neighborhood place. Great Italian comfort food served in a welcoming environment. Fast and friendly service. Whether you dine in or order takeout you know you will have a delicious meal every time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going Downhill?jordon50VIPDined on 9/20/2014I have been to the restaurant dozens of times in the last 10 years. I used to love it. But in the past year, the food and service have truly deteriorated. At brunch today, the service was absurd. The waiter was pleasant but inattentive and honestly pretty stupid (example: when my friend, a former alcoholic, ordered a Virgin Blood Mary, he pushed her to have alcohol in it!). The food arrived, including an omelet that was wet because it was covered with the salad, and eggs benedict that were ice cold and served on an untoasted English muffin. Inedible. It took us forever to get the bill and then to get the waiter back for us to pay it. This has been happening too often here. Sadly, I suspect that I won't be returning.Special Features:
- Horrible service and foodDinerUWSVIPDined on 9/19/2014The service was horrible. The waitor tossed the bread on the table and toss the salad plate. He asked us for drink orders without providing a wine menu. The food took an hour to come out for us two customers when the restaurant was not busy. Once the food came out, I was handed an entrée that I did not order and repeatedly told the server that I ordered chicken parmesan. The server didn't speak English and just kept saying "lasagna?" The wait staff disappeared for long periods of time. I had to go up to the hostess to ask to speak to the manager. She brings to the front the "manager" who appeared to be a bus boy who put on a sports coat. We walked out of the restaurant.
- A reliable UWS restaurantlove2eatoutDined on 9/13/2014This is a delightful restaurant I am always confident in suggesting when asked to come up with a place to meet for dinner. The ambiance, food, location and prices are all great. I appreciate the outdoor spaces - the back garden is quite lovely in warm weather and the front outdoor space enables diners to be outside without having street traffic right next to one's table. There is a cozy, friendly feeling inside - will keep this on my 'go to' list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/13/2014This choice is always a great one. When in season the backyard garden is really nice. The front patio is also fun, you can people watch and eat really delicious food! I have dined with family, with friends,solo and with a date! If you are dining solo it is a friendly comfortable place.Don't waste these lovely fall days, sit outside for brunch or lunch! (We tried a lot of different pastas , eggplant parmigiana (don't be afraid to ask for less cheese if you are eating light) delicious! The frittata is very good and the bacon is crispy!Special Features:
- This city sleeps.CertaldoDined on 9/7/2014The food is usually good here and it has a nice outdoor dining area on West 73rd Street which is not noisy. They also have a patio for dining in the back, but it was closed on a warm, late summer night. When I arrived to claim my reservation they asked where I wanted to be seated, which I found odd, since I specified where on my Open Table reservation. Luckily they had one table still available outdoors in front. We had a reservation for 8 PM which is a typical dining time for most of us here in the city. There was not time for dessert since the kitchen had already closed by the time we had finished our meal. The staff was cleaning up and taking in the tables and chairs as we were still sitting there! We did dessert elsewhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable Neighborhood GemthediplomatDined on 9/7/2014Arte is a consistently reliable dining experience in terms of food, service and ambiance. We have had lunch, dinner and now brunch there and found each time highly enjoyable.Special Features:
- poor service, burnt foodOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/7/2014I went for a Sun brunch. We got our bread AFTER the meal was over, Eggs benedict toast was hard as a rock, pancakes were burnt, table was wobbly (they couldn't fix it), waiter was gruff and complained TO US about being too busy. I was mortified since I brought my guests there from out of town. Dinner was always reliable here and I have been going there for over ten years. But I would never go back for brunch. It was the worst brunch service I have experienced in my 15 years in NYC!
- Perfect!pastabastaDined on 9/6/2014We love this place! Fresh, delicious food and absolutely a must if you value authentic Italian cooking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatTudaiseyDined on 9/5/2014Invited our two friends who were there for the first time and they loved it. We sat outside in the front area and had our little maltipoo with us. It was a bit warm out, but you can't control that! Food was excellent. Even their gluten free dish for our friend was excellent. I had the pasta primavera this time and it was delicious. Will come back again and again!Special Features:
- Good Basic Italian FoodJanDVIPDined on 9/1/2014They are a neighborhood staple and have been consistently good for many years. I love it when the garden is open, but sitting in the front was very nice. The service was slower than usual this time but its usually quite good.Special Features:
- Very enjoyable!veganfoodieDined on 9/1/2014I went to Cafe Arte on recommendation, and I found it to be all that my recommenders said it would be. My only real "complaint" is that I often had to wait for water refills for a substantial amount of time. But otherwise it was a fantastic experience. One suggestion: more vegan options--the ones you have are wonderful, and I think there could be some more equally delectable ones.Special Features:
- Always greatTudaiseyDined on 8/30/2014Had another fabulous evening sitting outside in the front area of the restaurant. Ordered the spinach ricotta ravioli this time. Fabulous! Going again this weekend with friends. My hubby got the pizza with pepperoni. Also delicious. Nice thin crust. Shared the Caesar salad. Everything was perfect.Special Features:
- dinnerNYCBBDined on 8/29/2014Ate on the patio. Was quiet, food delicious, service good. Liked it well enough to buy a gift certificate for a friend. had veal piccata - was tender and deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable and fabulousTudaiseyDined on 8/27/2014We love this place. Went with our family in from Chicago and my sister in law said that the pesto dish was the best she has ever had! We sat outside in the front area which is below street level which makes it even nicer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian on upper west sideCgswildcatVIPDined on 8/26/2014Our group of 6 went after a long day of covering Manhattan as tourists. Convenient walk from hotel, great food and service. Lovely tables street side.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/25/2014Neighborhood restaurant with good, solid food. Attentive staff and happy to please. Salads seemed plentiful. Salmon entree a bit skimpy. Pasta was good. No complaints from guests. Nice bread basket. Noise level easy to converse with others.Special Features:
- il mangiare fuoriNolaVIPDined on 8/24/2014Great place, especially in warmer weather, because you can eat outside in either the front or back garden. The food was great, the pasta al dente. The preparation was very important because we took our Italian friends. We would definitely go back.Special Features:
- ExcellentExcellentVIPDined on 8/18/2014First time there and would definitely go back if in the neighborhood. For and service were both good.Special Features:
- Looking forward to a return visitLoves2dineoutDined on 8/16/2014Arte Cafe was recommended by a friend who lives on the Upper West Side & I must say is a judge of good food from prior recommendations. We were 4 people for dinner. All had different entrees & everyone enjoyed their selections. Portion sizes were large, salads were large enough for two people to share, those that had dessert truly enjoyed their treats. Our waitress was very attentive as was her assistant. Lovely ambience as well. I most certainly will return & have already spoken about this neighborhood charmer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AngieVIPDined on 8/15/2014Beautiful outdoor garden. Service was adequate. Reasonably priced wine list. Food was just okay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite New York dinning spot.HankNYCDiningDined on 8/13/2014I have been coming to Arte Cafe for more than twenty years. It holds a special place in my heart. Part of my love affair with New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Find!mvickieaDined on 8/13/2014Needed a close location to the Beacon for a show and found Arte Cafe. It's a little hidden being off the main avenue, but that makes it more intimate and less noisy than a place right on Columbus. We didn't check the wine menu, but they offer quite a few selections by the glass. The food menu offerings offered something for everyone, pasta, meat, fish, pizza, salads. We went with pasta since we were under the gun for time, but I would like to come back and try a full selection of dishes. The service was very friendly and efficient.Special Features:
- Good enough to return . . soon!dinetimeDined on 8/10/2014Very pleased with all--the food, the drinks (perfect martini made the way I asked) and good service. Will definitely return to try many dishes that I considered appealing. I will not be a stranger.Special Features: