40 Edwin Land Boulevard
Cambridge, MA 02142Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.artbarcambridge.com/
- Phone: 6178064122
- Hours of Operation:
6:00 - 11:00 a.m. daily
11:00 - 3:00 p.m. daily
3:00 - 5:00 p.m. Tuesday - Saturday
11:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. Sunday
5:00 - 10:00 p.m. Tuesday - Saturday
Late Night Menu until 11:00 p.m. weekdays and 1:00 a.m. Friday & Saturday.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Brian Dandro
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: For your next private dinner, holiday party or business meeting, gather at ArtBar for a memorable evening of contemporary art, local cuisine, fine wines and specialty cocktails, all in an intimate space overlooking the Charles River and Boston city skyline.
We offer a spacious private dining room with its own entrance that can accommodate up to 40 guests. The ArtBar boasts stellar selections from the hotel’s world-class art collection while the restaurant features innovative cuisine, a well-curated wine list and seasonal specialty cocktails. A private bar is available upon request and our Wine Director would be happy to pair wine and spirits with your menu for a truly personalized and memorable evening.
- Private Party Contact: Kevin Khem 6178064110
- Special Events: For a more interactive experience, take part in one of ArtBar's forty-five minute cocktail making classes complete with a sampling of our appetizers. We invite you to become an amateur Mixologist as you learn how to make a specialty cocktail under the expert instruction of our Director of Food and Beverage, Troy Clarke. Small class sizes ensure that each drink disciple receives plenty of one-on-one guidance for making that perfect martini.
A word from ArtBar
ArtBar is a warm, intimate retreat for food and art lovers located inside the Royal Sonesta Hotel in Cambridge, MA. The ArtBar boasts stellar selections from the hotel's world-class art collection while the restaurant features innovative, regional American cuisine, a well curated wine list and specialty cocktails. Patio seating with unparalleled views of the Charles River and Boston Skyline, make ArtBar a neighborhood destination.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
ArtBar - Best Restaurants in Cambridge ›
ArtBar reviews from OpenTable diners
39 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (33)scenic view (23)great for lunch (14)great for brunch (7)fit for foodies (6)special occasion (5)romantic (4)neighborhood gem (4)kid-friendly (4)vibrant bar scene (3)good for groups (3)late-night find (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Good lunch spotJayMDined on 8/22/2014We went there for lunch late summer/pre-fall and sat outside overseeing the Charles River. On cool and cloudy days, it would be advisable to wear a light jacket (we didn't and wished we did). The Gazpacho soup (great flavors), mushroom falafel sandwich (slightly modernized with mushroom in the falafel) and boston lettuce salad (very fresh) were very good - all worth having again.Special Features:
- ProfessorOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/21/2014The food was very good. The service was not so good. The waiter was very slow and he was confused which was our table. He ran the bill incorrectly and I'm still waiting for an incorrect charge to drop from my credit card.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutdoorsBobSDined on 8/20/2014This would be a great place for outside dining if you could reserve a table thereSpecial Features:
- Noisy but goodrivergirlDined on 8/19/2014Lovely plates, attentive service. Be warned that there is outside road construction just steps from your patio seat. The weather was too nice to sit inside but the air compressors and constant beeping make it seem like you are part of the road crew. Try the Art on the Run special for $12. Includes soup, half a sandwich, a side, ice tea and a cookie. Corn chowder to start was silky smooth. Mozzarella, tomato, grilled balsamic onion and basil on a baguette was cool and perfectly seasoned. Crisp fries were enough to share. The roasted beet, lentil and grilled tofu plate is a vegetarian's dream. Only the ridiculous noise level precludes a 5-star review. Looking froward to returning when construction is complete!Special Features:
- Food is mehEvelynDined on 8/17/2014When we went to ArtBar for Sunday brunch in early September 2013, it was an overall fantastic experience: service was amazing, the view and ambiance were amazing, and the food was great - those buckwheat pancakes were fantastic, and the seasonal veggie grain/risotto dish was something the vegetarian in my party is still raving about. Fast-forward 11 months, and the menu has changed for the worse. Service is still amazing, the view from outdoor patio is still fantastic, and the food is boring. If you're a vegetarian who doesn't like eggs, you're left with very few choices: gazpacho or oatmeal. Sure, the kitchen is always happy to whip something special, but lack of vegetarian dishes on the menu itself is a huge disappointment.Special Features:
- Saltwater01890Dined on 8/14/2014So good, we went brought the whole family back two days later. Plus!!! Easy parking in site!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice outdoor diningmiamigirlDined on 8/1/2014Nice setting overlooking the Charles River. The meal was nice but would have preferred a more varied menu with more vegetarian options like flatbread /pizza, pasta without meat etc. Service was very good, friendly and attentive. All in all a nice evening - only disappointment was available menu optionsSpecial Features:
- DisappointedBabs10VIPDined on 7/29/2014Took a friend to lunch to celebrate her new job. Had been at ArtBar many times but it will be a long time before I return. Food was tasteless. When I spoke to the manager, she said she would tell the Chef. There was no offer of a refund or discount.Special Features:
- Nice choice for outdoor dining...OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/19/2014But don't expect to be blown away. Food is average, service was OK.Special Features:
- Great service, nice patioWorklunchDined on 7/9/2014Our server was very friendly and helpful. The food was tasty - we got their "on the run" menu. Tiny "cookie" at the end left something to be desired - perhaps their kitchen should go across the street to Bambara and see how it is done. Overall, happy with our choice.Special Features:
- Poor service marked the eveningTonyVIPDined on 6/30/2014Was not impressed with the service for a Monday evening. While the restaurant was only 1/3 fill, we had to wait multiple times throughout dinner. The lamb appetizer was tasty - the veal entree was fatty and unappealing. My wife did enjoy her lobster roll. And the tots were good. But the poor service made everything a less than stellar experienceSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/24/2014Made reservations, asked for a table on the patio, turned out they don't reserve tables on the patio.
- Pleasant SettingDEdinerVIPDined on 6/22/2014The ARTbar is right on the Charles, so you have nice views. It was too chilly to eat outside, but we still have a nice view. The food was nicely prepared and presented. The service was excellent. I'd return again when in Cambridge.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Great ViewPeteDined on 6/18/2014Burger was very good, white cheddar polenta amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So disappointedhungrypatronDined on 6/16/2014Well, it must have been an off Monday night ... the weather was perfect for al fresco dining and we were looking forward to the sweet potato tots that had been so widely recommended. Sadly, they were out of them. The salads were great but the entrees only okay - the sirloin special was tasty, but well done, rather than medium rare. We decided to share the amaretto macarons for dessert but after 20 minutes, the finally waiter came back to apologize the they were out of macarons, but that he'd brought us two other desserts to make up for it (which we hadn't chosen or asked for). That was a generous thing to do...but when we got the bill, we found that HE CHARGED US FOR THE MACARONS! We didn't make a fuss, but I was pretty shocked!Special Features:
- Great food, service and settingEatOutALotVIPDined on 6/8/2014We have dined here often, and particularly enjoy the outdoor patio in good weather (inside is fine but unexceptional in decor or feel). The food is consistently excellent and a good value for the moderate pricing. Server was extremely helpful, prompt, friendly and took excellent care of us. Creative cocktails are delicious, and good wines and beer if not a widely extensive list. View across a quiet street to the Charles River and Boston across the river is quite appealing. There were a few families with small children but not too noisy. Overall a reliably great place especially in good weather.Special Features:
- Just okayJonathanVIPDined on 6/2/2014Too bad the menu isn't both more varied with more options since the outside setting is just great! Food is pretty good but there are just so few things on the menu that for some people, there just isn't anything appealing. The night we were there, the service was horrendous as we waited a full 30 minutes between when we finished our meal and when we saw the waitress next! This could be a great place if they improve both the menu and service.
- Lunch w/colleagueBarbBalkwillDined on 5/8/2014We had a lovely time. The restaurant was not crowded and it was a lovely day so we were able to sit outside on the patio. Wait staff was wonderful and there when we needed her. The food was excellent (we LOVED the sweet potato poppers!) and we'd try other items on the menu next time we come. I would definitely come again!Special Features:
- The following 279 reviews are from the ArtBar reviews archive.
- Nearly ignoredactressginnyVIPDined on 4/20/2014We arrived for brunch on Easter Sunday at 11:30 for a 12pm reservation. Upon friendly inquiry, we were haughtily told that the restaurant didn't open until 11:35, and perhaps we could wait in the hotel lobby. So we took a walk around the neighborhood, returning at 11:50. There were a plenty of tables available, a few at the window with a nice view of the Charles River with lots of sunlight, but we were shown to a dark table behind a huge pillar, our waitress was terrible, we had to beg for a bread basket that was served to everyone else. We asked to switch tables, which was fine, and the food, when it came, was outstanding! But I won't go back and I can't recommend it based on our experience.Special Features:
- Brunch with Charles River ViewAylinDined on 4/13/2014Beautiful restaurant with Charles River view which is rare. They have a rich selection of brunch items, very nice service staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very noisy!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/31/2014there was construction or some horrid noise happening in the hall which transcended into the dining area, otherwise the food rocked and the waiter didn't quite get the order for 1 guestSpecial Features:
- Art Bar ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/27/2014I took a friend to Art Bar for a Birthday lunch, although the hotel is under renovation, the restaurant looked like it had been updated. My friend and I decided on the same menu . We selected the very tastey salad with the walnuts, it was very delicious. Next was the salmon dish, which was wonderful, a generous serving for a lunch entree, and for dessert was sorbet and the chocolate cake. The other selections were interesting but not enough for us to check them out. My friend had also been taken to lunch at other restaurants in the same week but commented that Art Bar was by far the Best!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehMainer20Dined on 3/25/2014The food just wasn't that great. The beet salad was my favorite thing and I felt like I probably could have made that myself. Too expensive for not enough flavor. I would go back in nice weather to sit on the patio and have wine and an appetizer but not for a full meal.Special Features:
- ehOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/24/2014eh it was ok, very slow service, they were a little short handed, but not filled by any means. Food was ok, good for restaurant week but I wouldnt go backSpecial Features:
- Lavender Honey Cheesecake, mmmOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/23/2014The food was good. Where they seem to excel, however is in desserts. Our selections were beautifully prepared with amazingly balances flavors. Our waiter was nice, but far from attentive; used dishes were left o the table, he was hard to find when we needed milk for tea, an extra napkin and then the check. Overall, I'd go back, but I'd hope for a different waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not bad!LindsayDined on 3/18/2014The food was pretty great, but prices were a bit high. Not as much art as we would like.Special Features:
- Very nice.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/29/2013Lobster roll was amazing. No need to get the double roll unless you give the other to your dining friend.Special Features:
- ArtBarJordanDined on 12/25/2013Soup was luke warm. Chicken entre tasted more like a Thanksgiving turkey dinner due to flavor of sauce. Also, entre was also luke warm. Wine was fine. Dessert was very good.
- pretty good brunchSarahDined on 12/22/2013We came here for brunch. We got an order of sweet potato tots with "spicy banana ketchup" that just tasted like banana mush, not spicy, not ketchup-like. Corned beef hash seemed like shredded beef and was VERY salty and I did not like the addition of red peppers. View of the river and skyline was probably the highlight. We were literally the only party in the whole restaurant on a Sunday for brunch. Omelets are more like a scramble, also kind of disappointing. Appreciate that they list the local farms they use on the side of the menu. Bloody mary was ok, made from a mediocre mix.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's a really nice hotel bar w foodCaseyVIPDined on 11/14/2013I was surprised when I arrived that it was in a hotel lobby. Since I relied only on what Open Table said about it, I was embarrassed to have brought my guests to a hotel (we were already tired of eating at our hotel and thought we were getting out on the town. This is a fantastic place to watch the game and get good food. This was not the place to treat my co- workers to an appreciation dinner for the all day meetings! !Special Features:
- Great spotBryBryDined on 11/5/2013Very cute and modern! Great ambiance! Will definitely Go back in the warmer weather so we can sit outside. Had a few apps and split and entree and out sever had the kitchen split it for us and the portions were huge. Bottle of wine, 2 delicious apps and a generously sized entree for $100. Will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor planningOutoftownerVIPDined on 11/2/2013We came after the Red Sox parade. You would think they would have planned for more people, but they were sorely understaffed. I think there were only 1 or 2 servers for the whole place, and they had a huge wait list. The food was just average, and not all the beers were available because they hadn't tapped their kegs. The waiter was probably one of the worst we'd ever had; he literally just walked up to the table and said "what do you want." Then, getting him to give and take the bill was a very long, drawn out affair.Special Features:
- Nothing too exciting. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/24/2013Nothing too exciting. The food was good, service was fine, the acoustics were awful for conversation. I would not go out of my way to eat there again, but it wasn't anything bad.....I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely lunch with a view!SavvydinerVIPDined on 10/24/2013Both times that I have been there, I had the salad with the lobster/avocado/bacon "tower" A beautiful presentation but both times, the lobster should have been fresher. It has either been hanging around too long or it's time to get a new supplier!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice anniversaryLMRSVIPDined on 10/9/2013My husband and I were married at the Royal Sonesta, and so enjoy a meal there on our anniversary date. We didn't want to be too fancy, so went to Art Bar. Our waiter was excellent and prompt (even after dealing with some wacky patrons who came in, ordered four separate checks, ordered drinks, and then just LEFT the restaurant). Very strange. Anyway, we enjoyed our meal and cocktails as well as the special Happy Anniversary plate with yummy chocolate cake on the house. Thank you!Special Features:
- Not worth the moneyLeniaVIPDined on 10/5/2013The location of this restaurant (next to the Charles river, with a decent view) but it's a prime example of the type of restaurant that tries to seem upscale and high end but pays no attention to the quality of the food. Every single person in my group had some issue with their order - dry, bland chicken, overly dressed salad, risotto that was somehow both under-cooked and mushy. The food was at best mediocre and consistently disappointing, especially considering that you're paying around $20 per entree. I would not recommend this place.
- Not disappointedCambridgeDinerVIPDined on 9/29/2013Haven't been to the Sonesta for years, but it was recommended. Lovely spot. Food was v. good. Choices were varied at brunch. We were able to dine outdoors at the end of September, but which lovely. Don't understand why they don't use propane heaters to extend the time the patio is usable. Not sure the inside of the restaurant holds as much appeal, but I'd definitely visit the patio again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to take guests.ArgieDined on 9/22/2013Our European guests enjoyed the Art Bar. We had brunch and each person was happy with his or her food and drink. Some of the menu choices are quite large, but it's easy to find other things on the menu to suit smaller appetites. The ambiance is pleasant and the wait staff attentive. They allow you to linger after the food and drink are gone, as befits a hotel restaurant. Our European guests also feel that once you've taken a table, it's yours for as long as you want it. It was too cold to eat outside, but that's a very nice option at the Art Bar, weather permitting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view, good foodRobinVIPDined on 9/15/2013Sitting right over the Charles with views of The Salt n Pepper bridge, it doesn't get any better for Sunday morning brunch. Food is good, service is good, ambiance is great. Priced a bit more palatable than other high end brunch spots in Boston and an extensive wine list. I just wish the parents of the wild 4 year old could have either gotten a babysitter or used the word " no" at least once. Who allows their kid to wander around a patio of a restaurant and bother strangers? They thought it was cute. Not so much.Special Features:
- Went for Sunday brunch. Wonderful!mwlsVIPDined on 9/8/2013Went for Sunday brunch. Wonderful! Sat outside along the river on. Beautiful late summer day. Food was delicious, fresh and nicely served. Will be back next time I am in Boston.