Art House Café
111 N Tacoma Ave
Tacoma, WA 98403Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Art House Café
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.arthousecafe.com/
- Phone: (253) 212-2011
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Tuesday: 8 am - 2 pm
Wednesday, Thursday & Sunday: 8 am - 9 pm
Friday - Saturday 8 am - 11 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Northwest
- Executive Chef: Aimee Cox
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Entertainment: Friday Evenings we are graced by local musicians who wish nothing more than to share their musical talents with those around them. Come enjoy live performances every Friday by artists you surely will not want to miss!
A word from Art House Café
Located in the historic Stadium district of Tacoma, the Art House Café exemplifies the essence of Scratch American cuisine. The kitchen explores the bounty of the Pacific Northwest with an ingredient-driven menu. We invite you to rediscover what it means to cook and eat in Tacoma, Washington.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Art House Café reviews from OpenTable diners
15 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (10)fit for foodies (8)great for outdoor dining (7)great for lunch (7)great for brunch (4)good for groups (3)kid-friendly (2)romantic (1)special occasion (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- No Burgundy in the Beef BurgundyBoblDined on 11/14/2014This was our first time at this restaurant, and it is a wonderful find. The service was excellent, and it had a nice menu and a very reasonably priced wine list. It among the first days of a new fall special menu, and the only problem was that the beef burgundy had no burgundy in it. This is a dish I make very often, and the burgundy wine gives it is wonderful and distinctive flavor but the dish here was completely devoid of that flavor. Otherwise it was a tasty stew.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'll stick with dinners here...jdionnDined on 11/11/2014I've been to the Art House twice in the evening and had AMAZING dinners there with fantastic service. Brunch on Veteran's Day, however, left a lot to be desired. I made a reservation for four but we only had three chairs. The server said she was going to come back with another but 10 minutes later no one had brought chairs or checked in and when the rest of our group arrived, my friend stood/crouched for another 6 or 7 minutes next to her daughter waiting for a seat. The server was friendly, as they always are, but for an establishment with so few tables, I was surprised that she checked on us so infrequently. One of my friends ordered the Omelette of the Day and said it was alright. I was excited for my pressed egg sandwich but the flavor combination was just a miss for me. I trusted the description because I have loved the various dinner choices here but just was not a fan of the pear compote on a savory egg sandwich. To be fair, though, I don't like blue cheese, so I subbed that for hollandaise sauce and that choice may have 'broken' this sandwich's magic. Although I didn't try them, the rest of the table really like the pumpkin bread french toast and the dutch baby crepe. Also, I will not be taking children there again. I normally wouldn't anyway, as I don't consider this establishment aiming anywhere near that target market but I didn't have much of a choice due to the holiday closure of his daycare. My 5-month-old was in his carrier, tucked half way under the table, and the server brought two cappucinos to the table and served them over his head. Halfway through she realized her mistake and rerouted but only after dripping coffee over the canopy of his carrier, which I am glad was up because hot liquid would have hit him square in the face. So overall, I will still recommend for dinner and still love the restaurant but I wasn't a fan of the breakfast menu or the surprising degradation of service on a mildly busy day in such a small establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So glad I found it...jdionnDined on 10/31/2014My sister took me here and based on food and service I immediately changed my birthday plans so I could go again the following week. My husband and I enjoyed a late night dinner on Halloween. The pear gorgonzola ravioli was phenomenal and my husband really enjoyed his prime rib. The gimlet was made perfectly and with a nearly empty restaurant due to the holiday, and the server knowing it was my birthday, he gave us dessert on the house! It was a chocolate cake with ganache layers in which I detected a hint of grand marnier. The food both times has been fantastic but the service really tips it over for us. We've both worked in food service and customer service and it's nice to see them dedicated to a positive experience for their guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic for brunchjndndmVIPDined on 10/10/2014We've eaten here several times and their brunch is fantastic! Today we came for dinner and forgot that the menu at night is basically just sandwiches and pizza. Which are also really good, if you want a light dinner. We'll be back - for brunch again!Special Features:
- Great little cafe!EntrecoteDined on 9/13/2014We had a delightful dinner here. The baguette with truffle butter reminded us of Paris. The Cobb salad was fresh and delicious. We had the Berry Crisp for dessert, but were so full that we ended up taking 1/2 of it home to eat the next day. We will certainly go back the next time we are in Tacoma.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful LunchADelDined on 8/26/2014I took four of my staff to lunch on a Tuesday and we couldn't have had a better experience! We all had various salads, which were delicious (the Chilled Watermelon with Prawns was to die for!) and the service was fantastic. The comfortable atmosphere and friendly nature of their team the belies the 'foodie' quality of the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014I love the relaxed atmosphere of this lovely restaurant. You feel like you are having a meal with friends in family on your back porch. The butternut squash pizza was FABULOUS and the spinach salad with the grapefruit was delicious. I would highly recommend this restaurant to all my friends and family. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Art House CafeFlossyDined on 8/15/2014This was a great find through open table. The food is delicious and creative. The staff was always available and did a great job. I would definitely recommend this place to my friends and family. I had the salmon scramble with small red potatoes and my friend had an egg whit omelet with a side salad. All of the dishes were exceptional. We sat inside, however a covered patio was available, even though it was raining people were able to sit outside and enjoy the Northwest weather.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 8 reviews are from the Art House Café reviews archive.
- repeatandrepleteDined on 6/7/2014The last time I wrote a review for AHC, I could not give enough praise. However, Saturday night was the antithesis - at least regarding the food and the new menu. Several of my favorites i.e. the beet salad and one of the pizzas is no longer offered. I settled for the ahi tuna salad and it was a joke! The tuna was overcooked and meager (looked like cat food) and the portion for the price was robbery (basically, I paid 15 dollars for a few pieces of tuna "chunks" and a hard boiled egg). My husband had the salmon with orzo and it was acceptable. The atmosphere and the music and the service were all on point - as usual. However, we are looking for a new neighborhood favorite as AHC is no longer my first choice.Special Features:
- Quality and fair priceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/29/2014Great Duck, Great Salad, good wine/beer options. The ambiance was inviting, clean and modern. The outdoor eating space is nice and the indoor area is open and comfortable. Service was good but it was pre-dinner rush. I'd go 3.5 of 5 stars.Special Features:
- Night out at the Art House CafeBarhopperDined on 5/23/2014I enjoyed my first dinner at the Art House Café. The ambience is casual, modern and open. We were there on a Friday night and the live music was pleasant (guitarist). The menu was not extensive but all of the choices were tempting.Special Features:
- bears repeatingrepeatandrepleteDined on 5/17/2014I learned about AHC while watching the advertisements at the Grand Cinema. Thought I'd pay it a visit. So glad that I did. I have been back with spouse, relatives, and friends. I recommend AHC every chance I get. The food, service, and attention is consistently excellent. The atmosphere is inviting and convivial. I always feel like an honored and valued guest. I do wish the wine (red) list was a bit broader...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice early weeknight dinnerjndndmVIPDined on 5/15/2014We'd been here for brunch, which was worth the wait (the place is SUPER popular on weekends), but this was a lovely early weeknight dinner for my husband's birthday. It was nice that we made it in before the crowd. I was disappointed in the limited menu, mostly pizza, but my husband really enjoyed it, and the chocolate cake was delightful.Special Features:
- DisappointingGMP66Dined on 5/11/2014This was our third visit and unfortunately the experience was not positive enough to return. The staff is very inexperienced: slow, inattentive, lacking in knowledge. Our server meant well, but that only goes so far. The menu has so much potential, but execution isn't there. Pizza that is undercooked and bland, lentils seasoned like cup-o-soup, salad with giant lettuce leaves that you have to spend minutes chopping up to eat with too much bacon and nuts. It's really disappointing because the atmosphere is great and the concept as well. We had similar issues on the first two visits but have been hoping they were anomolies.
- Hip neighborhood spot to eatFoodieDined on 4/25/2014Love this place for breakfast and lunch! Atmosphere very hip,casual and up scale. Food is high quality, interesting and healthy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time for dinnerStellaDined on 4/19/2014We have had breakfast and lunch here in the past and always enjoyed it but this was our first time for dinner. Great food, fun live music, sort of slow service but, with the music, we didn't mind.Special Features: