Houston, TX 77098Neighborhood:
Mexican / SouthwesternPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.armandosrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (713) 520-1738
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday and Monday: 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Tuesday and Wednesday: 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm
Thursday, Friday and Saturday 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm
Bar opens at 4:00pm every day and Thursday bar stays open late.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Mexican / Southwestern, Seafood
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: ARMANDOS premier Taco Truck caters one of a kind events serving our entire menu right to your door.
- Entertainment: Thursday night dancing starts at 10:00pm
A word from Armandos
Armando Palacios and his eponymous restaurant of Mexican fare with "The Margarita"! Located centrally in the River Oaks section of Houston, Armandos engulfs you in an environment reminiscent of early 20th century Mexico City fine dining. Come and experience what it was like in Spanish & French colonial Mexico and dine on Armando’s family recipes. With its goldenrod and wood-paneled walls, intimate lighting, and a serendipitous selection of grand mirrors, Armandos provides a wonderful backdrop for sharing a wonderful evening with one or many. Great. Mexican. Bistro.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Armandos - Best Restaurants in River Oaks ›
Armandos reviews from OpenTable diners
79 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (42)fit for foodies (34)hot spot (34)good for groups (33)vibrant bar scene (32)special occasion (31)romantic (27)notable wine list (11)late-night find (9)great for lunch (5)scenic view (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Birthday DinnerAlexVIPDined on 11/1/2014Overall I am very pleased with Armandos. It is one of our favorite places. The food is always outstanding and the cocktails delicious. My only complaint on this trip was that our server seemed disinterested and almost put off by having to serve us. For some reason there were what appeared to be three very large tables of 15+ folks. Odd for Armandos and maybe this had something to do with the services. The folks that joined us for dinner felt the same way which was unfortunate as it was their first time to Armandos and I think they were less than impressed.Special Features:
- Very romantic settingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/24/2014A great date spot. The food was solid and the decor of the restaurant was impressive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique conceptTexasBobVIPDined on 10/22/2014Armandos is the only legitimately upscale and centrally located Mexican-Continental restaurant in Houston. Great ambiance and service. The food is excellent and you don't leave the restaurant with the stench of fajitas permeated through your clothing.Special Features:
- Armando's #1BigbandfanDined on 10/18/2014What a great place and I highly recommend it to everyone! The food is superb, the service is second to none and the drinks are well made! We will be back with friends and family, we want to share this well-hid secret!Special Features:
- Always delivers outstanding Tex MexGibonnoDined on 10/9/2014My wife & I have been dining at Armando's since they opened. We've always received great tasting Mexican food every time we've visited. Their prices are a little higher than most TM places, but they serve a higher quality product than most. The margaritas are outstanding as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing Service - Too BusyDanielDined on 10/8/2014This Mexican food is excellent, but the experience was spoilt by poor service. It seems that 7pm was their busy time and it became much better later. So if you can, eat later - after 8h30pm the waiters had more time and it became better.
- Happy customerdisappointedDined on 10/5/2014outstanding as usual. chips are fabulous, good menu selection. service attentive. food is hot and fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun night at Armando'sOpenTableDinerVIPDined on 9/18/2014We had a fun night at Armando's. Great margaritas. Excellent Tequila selection. Large menu with lots of choices. You can eat healthy here, which I really like. We were there on a Thursday night and as the night progresses, they take the tables away and the DJ takes over. It's a fun and lively scene here.Special Features:
- DeliciousKarenDined on 9/13/2014The food is so wonderful. Everything is fresh, hot, delicious. Service was impeccable, as always. Love the margaritas!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love it..FashionistaDined on 8/24/2014I really enjoy the food. They had excellent customer serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and deadly margaritasLoveHoustonDined on 8/23/2014We ate at Armando's on a Saturday night, and I give it five stars for food, drinks, and people-watching. The food is fresh and fantastic and the frozen margaritas are very good. Watch out, though - those margs are strong! Though the decor is somewhat formal, the place was bustling with energy, and that made for a great atmosphere. Overall - loved it!
- Armandos!babybearVIPDined on 8/22/2014The place has changed over the years but the food is still excellent! We like the queso especially.Special Features:
- Excellent service and foodRandallDined on 8/17/2014Reservation was honored promptly upon arrival. Service from our server Raul was excellent. Persons in our party had entrees of crab enchiladas, snapper filet, and fish tacos. All entrees had nice presentation and food was excellent, fresh and well seasoned. Two salsas (red and green) served with chips at the table. Excellent frozen margaritas. The owner was dining with a large group during our meal but this did not distract are negatively effect our service. Yes its a little bit pricey but the quality of food is excellent and many entrees are different and way above par from your typical Houston Mexican food. Valet is required ($5). One person in our group was celebrating a birthday and our server brought her a tres leches dessertSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time at ArmandosTravelGuyDined on 8/17/2014Saw it on Facebook and decided to try it. Invited two friends. Overall it was very nice. The ambience was great. Service was good. Wine was good. Comfortable and not noisy. No crowds and only one baby but the baby was well behaved. Ate earlier than I normally do so that is perhaps why it was so quit. Food was okay but not as spectacular as I had expected. The beans were very good. I am usually not a bean eater but these beans were excellent. The rice was a bit dry. Then enchilladas were tasy but a bit on the bland side. I could have used a bit more spice. Overall, it was a good evening. I will probably try it one more time and try a different dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointedGartner1Dined on 8/16/2014Consistently good. I'm not a huge fan of refried beans, but this place has the best I've ever eaten. Chilean Sea Bass was perfectly prepared. Waitstaff is attentive but never intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKBrianDined on 8/16/2014I haven't been to Armando's before but wanted to try it during HRW. The atmosphere was nice and margaritas (top shelve) were good. The food on the other hand was mediocre to poor. We had a table for 5 so we all tried different things. I can tell you the cheese enchiladas were probably the worst I have ever tried, reminded me of Old El Paso microwave quality.......... The 4 oz. filet, yes 4 oz., was good though I was expecting the ribeye which I guess they sold out of? When booking I mentioned it was my wife's Birthday which they didn't recognize either upon arrival. In summary I'm glad we tried it as it is renown upscale Mexican restaurant though I would not go back with their price point lending to poor food quality.Special Features:
- Very goodNapalovers1Dined on 8/16/2014The ambience and the service was great! We dined from the Houston Restaurant Menu and every course we received was exceptional. Definitely will be going back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Armando'sHouston17Dined on 8/16/2014We ate at Armando's at 7 our table was waiting we walked In with another couple who were seated also by us the waiter hurried both tables and brought the food in 3 minutes even before our drinks it made me wonder if it had been prepared earlier . He stood anxiously by the table rushing us the other table Was in and out in 45 minutes. I ordered jalapeños when the bill came we had been charged 2.00 for a tiny tiny side of them. After we finished enough of our food he asked to box up the leftovers and them Brought out the check and circled us until We paid. The waiter ruined our night and why do you have to valet there ? There is a full lot for the restaurant but they block off everything with tiny cones.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatBmzeDined on 8/15/2014Consistently the best food in town. Great ambiance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2014Liked the restaurant. Bit noisy for Friday night but overall it was good. Restaurant not big which made it special.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2014Delicioso as always along with very attentive service. The historic chicken enchiladas will always be my first choice of entree and the margaritas were perfect. One of my favorite restaurants in Houston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As good as it getsOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/15/2014It's difficult to get excited about grilled fish but the grilled snapper was so darned good all that tasted it at my table say they're ordering it next time we dine there and there will definitely be a next time! We all tried some thing different and shared tastes. The drinks, all the dishes, and the service were outstanding. One of the better dining experiences we've enjoyed with our foodie friends. I've already recommended this restaurant to quite a few people. Thanks for participating in Restaurant Weeks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Houston Restaurant WeekluvnlifeVIPDined on 8/14/2014Food was great! we had the prime rib, the best cheese enchiladas EVER, and finished with tres leche. what a treat. Then music and dancing afterwards on a Thursday night. a most enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/14/2014Another night at our regular Mexican restaurant. Always great food and service.Special Features:
- Delicious, memorableSallyDined on 8/14/2014We love Armando's and hadn't been in several months. The specials for restaurant weeks were great! Ahi Tuna tacos, snapper filet, mole sauce on beef filet all superb. Lively ambiance sets it apart!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- romantic spotOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/7/2014low lights romantic expensive dinner about 30 dollars for a good plate. the grilled salmon was terrificSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/7/2014Great food and service as always great place to share with friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was terribleOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/1/2014We order an appetizer but was never brought to our table. Waiter never checked with us. We got our main entress and let know the person who deliveried the food of the situation. Waiter came later and asked what the situation was with appetizer. We told him that we never received it. He said he will chack but never came back. After we finished with our meal he offer a free dessert as an apology but he went an charged us for the appetizer we never got.
- Always goodShirleyDined on 7/26/2014My husband and I have eaten at Armando's for a long time and find the food consistently good. The wait staff is experienced and efficient. We hope Armando's is around for a long time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 286 reviews are from the Armandos reviews archive.
- Dependable as they getcdubDined on 7/20/2014There's 3 types of Tex Mex I frequent. Strip Mall institution, Chuy's-ish, and upscale. Armando's has the upscale market locked up especially since a popular Westside institution closed a few years back. A good bar, great tequilas and even enchiladas and steak. We just keep returning. Again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was not to our tasteOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/20/2014A great place for people watching and drinks. Go elsewhere for a meal.
- ParisroseVIPDined on 7/18/2014Always the freshest ingredients, nicest waiters and great food.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/15/2014I look forward to returning...especially when the City finishes tearing up the street. How many characters is that?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent every timeTrueFoodieVIPDined on 7/11/2014We moved back to Houston several months ago and Armando's has become one of our regular restaurants. I have tried almost every item on the menu and have always been pleased.
- Too rico for my wallet!cbicksterDined on 6/28/2014We cannot fault the food generally other than it is way expensive for what you get. We thought the chips were heavy and the guacamole almost too thick and chuncky - it broke the chips. My "special" margarita was anything but special and definitely not worth $18. Besides having to pay for mandatory valet it made for an expensive Mexican meal....go to Hugos or even better Las Almedas if you truly want something different.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/28/2014we ordered the $18.00 margarita with gran mariner and they must have forgot to put the tequila in as it was watery with grand mariner taste only. The top shelf margarita was great. It seems also ridiculous to charge $2.oo for a little bowl of jalapeños that couldn't cost but 10 cents to buy. There was also extra charge for a little dab of guacamole. I do not know of any other mexican restaurants that do this. Even though these are small items, it is a sign to me of a bad business plan that will turn off certain people and it will cost your business far more than you will get with certain customers not returning.People do notice these things. Other than these items we enjoyed the restaurant and want to see it stay in business.
- Love it!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 6/18/2014I truly love the service, staff are so friendly and the place is beautiful. I truly enjoy my visiting to Armando's and can't wait to go back again.Special Features:
- Not goodOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/18/2014Margaritas tasted like watered down lime juice and the lobster enchiladas tasted like frozen reheated lobster meat. I would not recommend this place
- Excellent food and service. Valet?WonderWomanVIPDined on 6/17/2014The food and service are excellent. They need to change their valet parking fee structure. I understand Chuy's is right next door and this is probably why they charge $5 (plus tip) in a strip center. However, $7-$10 to park is not reasonable. Instead they should validate the valet ticket and not charge $5 so that only a tip would be due. This should ameliorate the situation with Chuy's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/14/2014I normally LOVE Armando's, but we were shoved in the back room with college kids and totally rushed through our meal. It really upset me as we go there so often.Special Features: