Houston, TX 77098Neighborhood:
Mexican / SouthwesternPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.armandosrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 713-520-1738x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday and Monday: 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Tuesday and Wednesday: 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm
Thursday, Friday and Saturday 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm
Bar opens at 4:00pm every day and Thursday bar stays open late.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Mexican / Southwestern, Seafood
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: ARMANDOS premier Taco Truck caters one of a kind events serving our entire menu right to your door.
- Entertainment: Thursday night dancing starts at 10:00pm
A word from Armandos
Armando Palacios and his eponymous restaurant of Mexican fare with "The Margarita"! Located centrally in the River Oaks section of Houston, Armandos engulfs you in an environment reminiscent of early 20th century Mexico City fine dining. Come and experience what it was like in Spanish & French colonial Mexico and dine on Armando’s family recipes. With its goldenrod and wood-paneled walls, intimate lighting, and a serendipitous selection of grand mirrors, Armandos provides a wonderful backdrop for sharing a wonderful evening with one or many. Great. Mexican. Bistro.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Armandos - Best Restaurants in River Oaks ›
Armandos reviews from OpenTable diners
88 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (38)hot spot (36)special occasion (32)fit for foodies (30)vibrant bar scene (30)good for groups (27)romantic (23)late-night find (14)notable wine list (12)great for lunch (5)scenic view (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- DeliciousKarenDined on 9/13/2014The food is so wonderful. Everything is fresh, hot, delicious. Service was impeccable, as always. Love the margaritas!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love it..FashionistaDined on 8/24/2014I really enjoy the food. They had excellent customer serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and deadly margaritasLoveHoustonDined on 8/23/2014We ate at Armando's on a Saturday night, and I give it five stars for food, drinks, and people-watching. The food is fresh and fantastic and the frozen margaritas are very good. Watch out, though - those margs are strong! Though the decor is somewhat formal, the place was bustling with energy, and that made for a great atmosphere. Overall - loved it!
- Excellent service and foodRandallDined on 8/17/2014Reservation was honored promptly upon arrival. Service from our server Raul was excellent. Persons in our party had entrees of crab enchiladas, snapper filet, and fish tacos. All entrees had nice presentation and food was excellent, fresh and well seasoned. Two salsas (red and green) served with chips at the table. Excellent frozen margaritas. The owner was dining with a large group during our meal but this did not distract are negatively effect our service. Yes its a little bit pricey but the quality of food is excellent and many entrees are different and way above par from your typical Houston Mexican food. Valet is required ($5). One person in our group was celebrating a birthday and our server brought her a tres leches dessertSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time at ArmandosTravelGuyDined on 8/17/2014Saw it on Facebook and decided to try it. Invited two friends. Overall it was very nice. The ambience was great. Service was good. Wine was good. Comfortable and not noisy. No crowds and only one baby but the baby was well behaved. Ate earlier than I normally do so that is perhaps why it was so quit. Food was okay but not as spectacular as I had expected. The beans were very good. I am usually not a bean eater but these beans were excellent. The rice was a bit dry. Then enchilladas were tasy but a bit on the bland side. I could have used a bit more spice. Overall, it was a good evening. I will probably try it one more time and try a different dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointedGartner1Dined on 8/16/2014Consistently good. I'm not a huge fan of refried beans, but this place has the best I've ever eaten. Chilean Sea Bass was perfectly prepared. Waitstaff is attentive but never intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKBrianDined on 8/16/2014I haven't been to Armando's before but wanted to try it during HRW. The atmosphere was nice and margaritas (top shelve) were good. The food on the other hand was mediocre to poor. We had a table for 5 so we all tried different things. I can tell you the cheese enchiladas were probably the worst I have ever tried, reminded me of Old El Paso microwave quality.......... The 4 oz. filet, yes 4 oz., was good though I was expecting the ribeye which I guess they sold out of? When booking I mentioned it was my wife's Birthday which they didn't recognize either upon arrival. In summary I'm glad we tried it as it is renown upscale Mexican restaurant though I would not go back with their price point lending to poor food quality.Special Features:
- Very goodNapalovers1Dined on 8/16/2014The ambience and the service was great! We dined from the Houston Restaurant Menu and every course we received was exceptional. Definitely will be going back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Armando'sHouston17Dined on 8/16/2014We ate at Armando's at 7 our table was waiting we walked In with another couple who were seated also by us the waiter hurried both tables and brought the food in 3 minutes even before our drinks it made me wonder if it had been prepared earlier . He stood anxiously by the table rushing us the other table Was in and out in 45 minutes. I ordered jalapeños when the bill came we had been charged 2.00 for a tiny tiny side of them. After we finished enough of our food he asked to box up the leftovers and them Brought out the check and circled us until We paid. The waiter ruined our night and why do you have to valet there ? There is a full lot for the restaurant but they block off everything with tiny cones.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatBmzeDined on 8/15/2014Consistently the best food in town. Great ambiance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2014Liked the restaurant. Bit noisy for Friday night but overall it was good. Restaurant not big which made it special.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2014Delicioso as always along with very attentive service. The historic chicken enchiladas will always be my first choice of entree and the margaritas were perfect. One of my favorite restaurants in Houston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As good as it getsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/15/2014It's difficult to get excited about grilled fish but the grilled snapper was so darned good all that tasted it at my table say they're ordering it next time we dine there and there will definitely be a next time! We all tried some thing different and shared tastes. The drinks, all the dishes, and the service were outstanding. One of the better dining experiences we've enjoyed with our foodie friends. I've already recommended this restaurant to quite a few people. Thanks for participating in Restaurant Weeks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Houston Restaurant WeekluvnlifeVIPDined on 8/14/2014Food was great! we had the prime rib, the best cheese enchiladas EVER, and finished with tres leche. what a treat. Then music and dancing afterwards on a Thursday night. a most enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/14/2014Another night at our regular Mexican restaurant. Always great food and service.Special Features:
- Delicious, memorableSallyDined on 8/14/2014We love Armando's and hadn't been in several months. The specials for restaurant weeks were great! Ahi Tuna tacos, snapper filet, mole sauce on beef filet all superb. Lively ambiance sets it apart!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- romantic spotOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/7/2014low lights romantic expensive dinner about 30 dollars for a good plate. the grilled salmon was terrificSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/7/2014Great food and service as always great place to share with friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was terribleOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/1/2014We order an appetizer but was never brought to our table. Waiter never checked with us. We got our main entress and let know the person who deliveried the food of the situation. Waiter came later and asked what the situation was with appetizer. We told him that we never received it. He said he will chack but never came back. After we finished with our meal he offer a free dessert as an apology but he went an charged us for the appetizer we never got.
- Always goodShirleyDined on 7/26/2014My husband and I have eaten at Armando's for a long time and find the food consistently good. The wait staff is experienced and efficient. We hope Armando's is around for a long time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dependable as they getcdubDined on 7/20/2014There's 3 types of Tex Mex I frequent. Strip Mall institution, Chuy's-ish, and upscale. Armando's has the upscale market locked up especially since a popular Westside institution closed a few years back. A good bar, great tequilas and even enchiladas and steak. We just keep returning. Again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was not to our tasteOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/20/2014A great place for people watching and drinks. Go elsewhere for a meal.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/15/2014I look forward to returning...especially when the City finishes tearing up the street. How many characters is that?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent every timeTrueFoodieVIPDined on 7/11/2014We moved back to Houston several months ago and Armando's has become one of our regular restaurants. I have tried almost every item on the menu and have always been pleased.
- Too rico for my wallet!cbicksterDined on 6/28/2014We cannot fault the food generally other than it is way expensive for what you get. We thought the chips were heavy and the guacamole almost too thick and chuncky - it broke the chips. My "special" margarita was anything but special and definitely not worth $18. Besides having to pay for mandatory valet it made for an expensive Mexican meal....go to Hugos or even better Las Almedas if you truly want something different.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/28/2014we ordered the $18.00 margarita with gran mariner and they must have forgot to put the tequila in as it was watery with grand mariner taste only. The top shelf margarita was great. It seems also ridiculous to charge $2.oo for a little bowl of jalapeños that couldn't cost but 10 cents to buy. There was also extra charge for a little dab of guacamole. I do not know of any other mexican restaurants that do this. Even though these are small items, it is a sign to me of a bad business plan that will turn off certain people and it will cost your business far more than you will get with certain customers not returning.People do notice these things. Other than these items we enjoyed the restaurant and want to see it stay in business.
- Love it!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 6/18/2014I truly love the service, staff are so friendly and the place is beautiful. I truly enjoy my visiting to Armando's and can't wait to go back again.Special Features:
- Not goodOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/18/2014Margaritas tasted like watered down lime juice and the lobster enchiladas tasted like frozen reheated lobster meat. I would not recommend this place
- Excellent food and service. Valet?WonderWomanVIPDined on 6/17/2014The food and service are excellent. They need to change their valet parking fee structure. I understand Chuy's is right next door and this is probably why they charge $5 (plus tip) in a strip center. However, $7-$10 to park is not reasonable. Instead they should validate the valet ticket and not charge $5 so that only a tip would be due. This should ameliorate the situation with Chuy's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/14/2014I normally LOVE Armando's, but we were shoved in the back room with college kids and totally rushed through our meal. It really upset me as we go there so often.Special Features:
- Love it...but...CarrieDined on 6/14/2014I'm an Armando's fan since the '80's when it was in a small house on Shepard. I still love it and it is now one of the loveliest restaurants. My go-to is the Chicken Enchiladas. I have been disappointed in this choice a few times. First, there is too much meat and not enough, if any, cheese. The chicken has tasted old and I have even come across bones more than once. The dish used to have dollops of sour cream which are needed to add depth and cut acidity. I once requested some and was charged a ridiculous amount for a tiny dollop on 1 of the 3 enchiladas. Disappointing. That being said, I still love Armando's and will still go and take guests, but I will mix it up on my order choice to a more delicious option. All else never disappoints!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bad waiterRyanVIPDined on 6/13/2014It took 20 minutes to get a menu, another 25 minutes before he came around to take our order, he brought the wrong cocktail for my date and brought the wrong check at the end of the meal. $90 on good, but not extraordinary, mexican food deserves better service to be sure.
- Trendy/upscale Mexican restauranteatoutalotDined on 6/13/2014Upscale mexican restaurant that is overpriced. Dishes were good not as good as my conventional mexican (tex Mex) restaurants. Menu is less about Tex Mex and more of a combination of Mexican and South Western/South American dishes. Service was a little slow.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/7/2014The food was very good, however the service was not. The waiter was not very friendly, we were not offered refills on our drinks, actually after our food was brought to the table he never came back until we flagged him down to request the check. I would not go back there even if the food is good because of the poor service.
- DeliciousChloeVIPDined on 5/30/2014I had the tilapia and it was excellent. My husband had the snapper and it was fresh and delicious.Special Features:
- Simply terrificlifeisgoodDined on 5/30/2014Armandos consistently delivers in an elegant and festive atmosphere. The food is superior and the service is among the best in all of Houston. If you dine early, the restaurant is quiet. However, as at any hotspot, when the evening progresses, so does the energy. You will not regret dining here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 269 reviews are from the Armandos reviews archive.
- Gourmet MexicanbogeyDined on 5/18/2014Come hungry, food is fantastic. A little pricey, but, not your everyday Texmex. Lots of seafood options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/9/2014Everything we've tried has been great. The tortilla soup, the tex-mex combos, the fish, especially the red snapper, it's all excellent.Special Features:
- indifferent serviceMariaDined on 4/22/2014Beautiful interior, tasty food, if indeed "dumbed down" for gringos. (To wit, VERY tame salsa for the chips.) The drinks are good as well. I have dined at Armando's many times and had great service (especially at the bar); perhaps our waiter was having a bad night. He was not rude, but inattentive, even though the place was not crowded. This is a "neighborhood" restaurant, but the neighborhood is River Oaks. (For those that don't know Houston, River Oaks is wealthy, mostly white, and older.)Special Features:
- Great food and people watchingEdwardsVIPDined on 4/17/2014Always fun on a Thursday night. Tasty Mexican food. A lively bar and dance floor. Great people watching, diverse crowdSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.