725 S.Fair Oaks Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94086Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.arkarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4087332752
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30 am - 5:00 pm
Dinner: Daily: 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Fusion / Eclectic, Indian
- Executive Chef: Surbeer Rawat
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (bar only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Our philosophy is simple: when you can’t come to our door, we bring the party to yours. We will set everything up for your special event from the cuisine to the utensils and plates. The only thing you need to do is enjoy a fresh-made Indian feast with your family, friends or co-workers. Our catering managers have extensive knowledge to help you with corporate catering, small group events or family parties from 20 to 1,000 people. For all catering inquiries, please contact our Special Events Coordinator, Michael Agnel: (510) 565-6046. Or email us: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Private Party Facilities: No matter what the occasion, Arka makes it magical. Our Seating Capacity Is As Follows: Front Dining Room: can hold up to forty (40) guests for a sit down and a standing reception. Main Dining Room: can hold up to eighty-five (85) guests for a sit down and a standing reception. Banquet Room: can hold up to fifty (50) guests for a sit down and a standing reception. ** Note: the main dining room and banquet room can be combined for a hundred (100) seated guests and a hundred and fifty (150) standing guests for a cocktail reception. Cocktail Lounge: can accommodate up to twelve (12) sit down guests. Exclusive Sun Room: can be set-up for a private cocktail reception for up to sixteen (16) sit down guests. Side Patio: when weather permits, the open aired side patio can fit up to twenty (20) guests for a sit down event and up to forty-five (45) for a standing reception.
- Private Party Contact: Michael 4087741540
- Entertainment: Monday - Sunday: Ultimate Happy Hour (3pm - 7pm AND 9pm - 10pm). Enjoy $2 Beers/$4 Wines by the Glass/ $4.50 Premium Cocktails/ Happy Hour Shots/$3 - $6 Appetizers.
Saturday & Sunday: $2 Champagne Brunch Feast.
Monday: 2O% Off Any Bottle Of Wine All Day Long.
Tuesday: "Ladies Night Out" - $4.50 Premium cocktails in the bar & lounge.
A word from Arka
Arka presents authentic and modern Indian cuisine in a beautifully designed space in the South Bay. Diners will be treated to an unforgettable culinary and sensory experience that covers the many corners of India with traditional dishes as well as modern interpretations of classics and new flavor combinations suitable for every palate. Specialties include a selection of Tandoori kebabs, Biriyanis, Dosas, curries and Uthappams, along with an extensive side dish selection, breads and vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free dishes. Consulting Chef Sachin Chopra & Executive Chef Surbeer Rawat bring together flavors from the Southern Indian shoreline and the North Indian frontier lands- two of the continent’s most renowned regional cuisines. Using seasonal produce, the chefs highlight traditional specialties alongside their own inspired creations. Arka's menu caters to patrons who are looking for a taste of home, an introduction to Indian regional cuisine or just a blissful dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Arka reviews from OpenTable diners
- Needs improvementDisappointedDined on 9/6/2013The for was just ok. The service was horrible. With the restaurant maybe at 20% capacity we should not have had to wait 40 mins for an appetizer.Special Features:
- Dry Dry DryMillerc49Dined on 8/11/2013We had 2 chicken dish's, terrible dry, we will never go back, plating was also terrible.
- Just Fair, Nothing ExtraellthatjaszDined on 8/8/2013On this, my second visit to Arka, I once again found the welcome friendly, the decor striking. The menu is lengthy and varied; I ordered the goat curry, nan and watermelon salad. Unlike on my first visit, however, I found the salad little more than watermelon cubes, the curry tasty, but rather heavy, bony and undistinguished. I had to request rice for the curry, which had come unaccompanied by anything (everything except the lone "daily special" was a la carte), but the serving was generous enough to take about half of it home afterwards. Service was sporadic. I had a coupon, which softened the blow of the total bill, but without that, there would have been insufficient value received for dollar spent.
- Fantastic food every time!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/12/2013I fell in love with Sakoon (sister restaurant in Mountain View) and have since fallen in love with Arka too. The food is amazing, service great, modern atmosphere, and great cocktails too!Special Features:
- Great mealbbergVIPDined on 6/22/2013We had a group of 8, and we had a wonderful family style meal. Most of us had the pepper Margarita, which was great as well. Fun time.Special Features:
- MediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/15/2013We used to frequent Arka when it had just opened. Just like most Indian restaurants, their quality has gone down. They seem like just don't care. Starts from Menu. It looks like stapled copy of some old bad photocopies. Drinks lacked character. Appetizers were alright. Weekend special Dum Biryani was actually pulao. They only had three items on a dessert menu. We ordered a lot, but didn't like most of it and didn't even bother to pack it home.
- Wonderful !!!VP007VIPDined on 5/16/2013The Lucknowi Biryani and the chicken kheema dosa was awesome !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible serviceCricketFanDined on 5/5/2013One of the worst restaurants that I have eaten at. The food was very bland and the service truly horrible.
- The food was quite good, butOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/28/2013The food was quite good, but the prices were a bit high. Great variety on the menu. It was hard to decide from so many choices. I actually came for the Belgian beer. Belgian draft beer was $8; their web site says $7.
- Arka Aims to PleaseMasakoVIPDined on 3/11/2013My friend and I enjoyed the lunch buffet. I found the Indian food a little spicier than other Indian restaurants. Service was good and well-timed. We ordered a mango lassi which always complements the spiciness of the dishes. Nan was served at the table. I would go back at a "drop of a hat".Special Features:
- Great experience. Food andairbiscuitDined on 3/3/2013Great experience. Food and service excellent. Great wine/beer food pairings. appetizers were different and tasty. excellent fresh naan.Special Features:
- Food is Ok, not great comparedFirstTimeVisitorDined on 1/26/2013Food is Ok, not great compared to what you can find in other Indian Restaurants in the area Interestingly, the server confronted for the gratuity saying the amount was less compared to the great service they provided (weird!).
- A great go-to spot for IndianFireweedDined on 1/23/2013Indian food and Belgian beer feature here. Truly yummy curries.Special Features:
- Second visit here and theOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/19/2013Second visit here and the food is outstanding! Love the decor as well.Special Features:
- Very little seafood/meatOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 1/19/2013If only Arka would improve on serving great Indian food with vibrant taste and not skim on the amount of food (meat per dish) as well as not taking so long just to serve 3 tables in a half empty restaurant, it could become quite a destination as the ambience is quite nice. Too bad food is too expensive with very little meat/seafood in each dish.Special Features:
- Yummy food, good wine, politeJenniferVIPDined on 1/18/2013Yummy food, good wine, polite waiters, quick serviceSpecial Features:
- I'd give 1/2 star higher ifUlothrixVIPDined on 1/10/2013I'd give 1/2 star higher if I could, but I've been there for lunch 4 times and each time it's hard to get drinks other than water, and we don't get our naan until we're almost done. They do keep the water glasses full, but I think that with everyone heading to the buffet, they just figure you're good for a while. I really like the food here, it's really tasty, they have different dishes each time we go, and they have 3-4 different desserts each time. I do think the kheer desserts have too much rosewater in them that can make it taste like chlorine (it took us a while to decide it was rosewater and not chlorine).
- We started going to Arka forOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/25/2012We started going to Arka for last couple of months. We were the frequest visitors of Shivas at Castro St. but now switched to Arka. Though I feel the quality is little detoriating. For last three times, we found the Nijami Goat is not as tasty as it was before. In a row, we found the meat is not soft. For desert, it was four items earlier now its three. The live station is most of the times now pasta. The most wondering was having some item called rava (forget the whole name) instead of s fish appetizer. We keep Arka little ahead than the local Indian restaurents for the having the fish item in buffet, I wish I will get it always. Also, for the gala buffet on 25th, the Bengali fish curry is not at all taste like a Bengali fish curry.Special Features:
- First time visit. Food wasOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/21/2012First time visit. Food was okay. Nice ambiance though.Special Features:
- Great place for groupsOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 12/20/2012Our group of 15 went to Arka for their lunch buffet. The food was great - high quality, lots of variety, and fresh. All the dishes had distinctive flavor (not just all spicy or all curry) and didn't seem too greasy. Service was fairly responsive given how busy the place was. Everyone had a great time and we'll definitely go back again.Special Features:
- Consistently good food and serviceWhyHomVIPDined on 11/28/2012Excellent, as always! We keep trying new dishes and they never disappoint.Special Features:
- Could be betterOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/26/2012Arka has one waitress that she is very good and caring. However, the rest of the crews doesn't do much. If our waitress is unavailable the other seems to be lost. Food is alright, it is hit and miss. Some entries are very good and the rest you can leave without it.
- The service was pathetic.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/11/2012The service was pathetic. The food was pretty standard Indian buffet for lunch. Was dissapointed nan was not served at the table, rather you had to pick cold ones from the buffet. Not justified for the priceSpecial Features:
- The food was good but we wereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/30/2012The food was good but we were disappointed with the service. We made a reservation which they said they had but when we got there we had to wait an additional 20 mins. Once we were seated no one came to tell us what we were supposed to do or to take our drink orders. We eventually just got up and went to the buffet. Whenwe got back to our table another party was trying to sit at the table since they felt the restaurant was not organized. We had to inform them that it was our table instead of an employee. I would love to return here if they get better service.
- Eclectic menu, tasty foodEliotVIPDined on 9/29/2012Arka has a fairly eclectic menu, and even some of the old standards, like tandoori chicken, are prepared differently than I'm used to. I always enjoy my dinners there, but my wife has had a more hit-or-miss experience. She's not into really spicy foods, and there's very little on the menu that isn't spicy, even on request for "kiddie strength". On this visit, though, she enjoyed the lamb rogan josh, and I really liked the butter chicken. As a special bonus, they had Spaten Octoberfest beer on tap; that's one of my all-time favorite beers, and I haven't found it on tap very often over the years. Overall, Arka is a good local place to eat, and I hope it lasts; not many restaurants have had much luck at that site over the years.Special Features:
- Modern, Chic, and Gluten-freebayarealocalVIPDined on 9/27/2012Of course, Sunnyvale and Santa Clara have no shortages of Indian restaurants along El Camino Real. However, I hope you realise that there are all sorts of different kinds of Indian restaurants. Arka is special. It is more of a modern and chic, fusionish Indian restaurant. Right off the bat, you'll notice the stylish, loungey atmosphere. The dining rooms and bar are well-decorated, and I like it when they play house music. However, what i like most about Arka is that they have gluten-free items marked on their menu. I'm actually on a grain.free / paleoish diet. Most people probably think you can't enjoy Indian food without grains, but I'm with the camp that believes grains are so good for your body but still enjoy Indian food.Special Features:
- We've been to Arka many timesJimenVIPDined on 9/18/2012We've been to Arka many times for dinner as we're drawn by the food, decor and excellent and friendly service. The staff also is very good at introducing us to dishes that we might not otherwise try and we haven't been disappointed.Special Features:
- Need to improveOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/6/2012I have been a here a few times since it first opened. The food quality is not the same as before and has gone down noticeably. The lunch buffet was average - nothing really stood out. Service was found wanting, when we walked into the restaurant with reservation there was no one at the door at 12:00 noon and we had to beckon a waiter to be seated. Hopefully management will take notice and take corrective action - makes sure the staff is not slacking off on the food, spice, seasoning and service. These things need to be corrected quickly if Arka wants to be a top South Bay Indian restaurant in the same league as Shiva, Sassoon, otherwise Arka becomes another one of those run of the mill no name Indian restaurants which there are plentySpecial Features:
- The ambiance in the bar areamisssoucDined on 8/25/2012The ambiance in the bar area is great (music, light, cocktails) but the dining area is unfortunately disappointing: very noisy, cold, cafeteria like. Definitely not for a cosy Saturday night dinner. Food good, service very good, especially the young lady host.
- We eat at Arka at least twiceJimenVIPDined on 8/23/2012We eat at Arka at least twice a month for dinner and once again had a very good dining experience the other night. We tried Eggplant Dosa for the first time and it was an excellent dish as was one of our standards, Bharwan Chandi Kofta. Service, as usual, was very good.Special Features:
- had fun !!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/17/2012food was great, great ambiance fast service but the dessert was not up to the mark, great music, its an alltogether perfect place for birthday celebrations or group meets.Special Features:
- Only good for weekday lunch OnlyFoodloverDined on 7/29/2012Bought by family to eat after I tried few months back but was disappointed with the spread and lack of serviceSpecial Features:
- Great place for drinks and more!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/23/2012Loved the service and GM/owner of this establishment. Will recommend again for late night bite to eat or an ideal place for a drink or two. The happy hour deal really got me to think that i will return soon.Special Features:
- Not your typical Indian restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/30/2012Not your typical Indian restaurant - I eat a lot of Indian food and there were many items on their menu that aren't the usual fare. Very nice beer selection, too. Love the restaurant and hope it succeeds.Special Features:
- The actual tandoori chickenCoraVIPDined on 6/13/2012The actual tandoori chicken does not look like the picture displayed on the website. We ordered country to country wine flight (decent), garlic chili naan, tandoori chicken, butter chicken and (3rd) chicken dish on the entree list. Overall is just average (service, quality and presentation and taste). Deco is nice compare to other restaurants in Sunnyavle. Sorry I will not go back :(
- Don't waste your time or money!girlonthegoVIPDined on 6/10/2012We had a terrible time, food was bad, table was awful, and the service was awful, basically ignoring our table of 10! I do want to mention that the management finally told the bartender to look after us which is just bizarre. Food was just tasteless, I mean they could not make a dal. All the food was served cold, and at this point we just wanted to leave, so we did not complain, no point we feed our kids eat a bit and left. The only positive was the bartender and hostess who were trying her best to look after us and the bar.
- Excellent food, friendly service.EliotVIPDined on 6/9/2012Excellent food, friendly service. Somewhat untraditional menu (or maybe it's just not Americanized Indian food), but always good.Special Features:
- Decent but nothing greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/27/2012Had heard quite a bit about this place from my friends so decided to try it out. We had made reservations, expecting a crowd for a Sunday night of a long weekend, but there were plenty of tables available. Except for the person who greeted us, the rest of the staff did not look very enthusiastic. Our initial order for drinks and appetizers was taken and brought quickly. But then we had to wait a while for some to come and take the rest of our order. And it took even longer for them to get the food! So service wise, left a lot to be desired. About the food itself, didn't see a lot of options for vegetarians. the appetizers were good, but the main course was okay. Will think twice before venturing out there again.
- Super consistentWhyHomVIPDined on 5/15/2012This restaurant has become our neighborhood fall-back restaurant. It always pleases.Special Features:
- Its a typical americanisedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/14/2012Its a typical americanised Indian restaurant. I found the food prep really nice but not suit ed for people like me who look for genuine spicyness and flavour of original indian food. Excellent ambience though and very nicely lit. I might not visit it often but wont mind going there once in a while.Special Features: