138-140 W Houston St
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
RussianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.arianasoho.com/
- Phone: 6466784334x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Wednesday: 6:00pm - 12:00am
Thursday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 2:00am
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Russian, European
- Executive Chef: Vitalii Kovalev
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Private Room, Wine
A word from Ariana
Ariana Grinblat, a Russian recording artist, has decided it's time to update Russian cuisine in America, which, she contends, "has remained stagnant for 100 years." A pickle salad with Meyer lemon-yogurt dressing, cabbage stuffed with lobster, and quail in a walnut-pecan sauce gives you some idea. The chef is Vitalii Kovalev from St. Petersburg. The softly lighted room has a bar with infused and aged vodkas. Orson Salicetti (Apotheke) showcases the understated spirit of vodka in multiple facets, including aging it in barrels, infusing it with sweet and savory herbs, and pairing it with fresh fruit. The skylight room with an exposed brick wall is the hidden gem of the space -- perfect for long, intimate dinners.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ariana reviews from OpenTable diners
33 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (24)romantic (16)neighborhood gem (16)special occasion (15)good for groups (8)hot spot (7)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (5)notable wine list (4)great for brunch (3)Show More
- Great Russian fare!BreezeVIPDined on 8/26/2014Even if you have no idea what Russian cuisine is like, this entire menu is delicious. They do a modern twist on traditional foods, so it's very vibrant and not a Russian Tea Room feel at all. And delicious cocktails!Special Features:
- Terrific dinnerintrepidreviewer3Dined on 8/23/2014Was hard to believe that the food and ambiance could be as good as the reviews, but they were - a remarkable gem of a restaurant with some truly amazing appetizers and main dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!!!! Want Seconds!!IreneDyDined on 8/15/2014The ambiance was great, the service was fabulous! The cocktails were delicious! The food was scrumptious!!! My husband and I got 2 appetizers and 2 entrees and split both and everything was simply melt in your mouth fabulous! There was also a live piano player to set the mood, 3 types of bread and homemade pumpkin butter.... I couldn't find fault with a single thing here!!! We are also Russian and are used to Russian cuisine, but this food is better than what my babushka makes! Sshhhh... This is definitely a place we will be returning to! We loved it!! Prices are very decent for the area and portions and food. We will be back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new option in SohoFoodhunterVIPDined on 8/8/2014It was the first time I went to Ariana, but not the last. Food was great and service surprisingly especial.Special Features:
- Russian GemJanetWDined on 7/31/2014Ariana elevates Russian cooking to the best continental cuisine. The flavors tease out subtleties and the plating makes it almost too good to eat. But one mouthful assures that every morsel will be gobbled up. Appetizers are generous enough to share with the table. Don't miss the pickled veggies and fruit: a unique and delightful surprise. The lobster stuffed cabbage was tasty and particularly beautiful and for the less adverturesome, the duck pelmeni is always a favorite. Tried a special cocktail (strawberries and fennel with vodka) that was out of this world!Special Features:
- Bring your comrades!GanzmaVIPDined on 7/25/2014Small but pretty dinning room, Service was excellent; knowledgable and attentive. The food was really outstanding. New twists on Russian cooking. Unfortunately they were out of two items we ordered, but the food we did have was excellent. The borscht with short ribs was very nice. However the horseradish shrimp were truly sublime. The duck was very nice and the beef stroganoff was really excellent. Great bread too. Nice piano playing in the dining room, but there was a very loud and hopping bar scene up front; almost two different restaurant experiences. If you like Russian food this is definately worth the experience. Also reasonably priced for the quality of the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food. Top notchOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/20/2014I guess the only bad thing was the fact the restaurant for empty when we arrived for brunch, which is a shame because we tried many items and all were perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem of SoHoDenisVIPDined on 7/18/2014Ariana restaurant dining experience has been absolutely great for myself and my wife. First of all it is located in the lovely Soho. Secondly, on the one hand, it's an upscale, romantic restaurant with live piano music,relaxed atmosphere and friendly staff. But, on the other hand, it's a bar and lounge. So basically, this place is best of both worlds. Whatever you prefer. And of course, the food...was just delicious. Great Russian cuisine with sophisticated touch of spices and sauces,which brings the food to the new,great level. Also,what distinguishes this place is that, the owner herself and the management was courteous,welcoming and making us feel like home. This is a very,very good place. I definitely recommend Ariana Soho to everyoneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gorgeous - and deliciousSherylVIPDined on 6/29/2014Gorgeous place, helpful and attentive staff, and delicious meal! Had brunch with generous caviar portion, Benedict that was excellent, and really tasty short rib blini. 'Punch' was like sangria - light. Ariana is new - hope it makes it!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Russo moderno e com bom atendimentoOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/24/2014Restaurante russo moderno. Uma boa descoberta em NYCSpecial Features:
- Charming. Very nice serviceOrelolivDined on 6/21/2014Excellent food and very nicely presented. Original and tasty, as well as typical. Really good cocktails too. We will come back.Special Features:
- ArianaMarinaDined on 6/21/2014We were initially attracted to Ariana by the art of Artem Mirolevich. However, one gets also impressed with an elegant interior and delicious food! Russian theme with a modern twist creates an unforgettable experience even for the most picky palate. Superb service and attention to details impresses visitors from the first minute when they are met by a hostess and continues through the whole time! The restaurant has an excellent wine selection, freshly homemade ice cream and preserves, and the best sauces! The whole atmosphere is very pleasant, and will be even better with a pianist performing in the back room! Ariana is definitely worth dining and enjoying for any special occasion or just for eating a beautiful gourmand food!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- From Russia With LoveCardbeagleVIPDined on 6/19/2014Having never been to a Russian restaurant before, I assumed borscht, potatoes and chicken would be the highlights of the menu. I discovered Ariana via a Travelzoo voucher and all my preconceived ideas were quickly discarded. This is gourmet food...no other way to describe it. The prices were very reasonable, the vodka cocktails cutting edge and the service was very attentive. A young lady, who I assume was the owner, took time to explain each dish and make recommendations. If you are out for a casual dinner or want to celebrate a special occasion with Champagne and caviar, this is the place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ariana is a findOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/6/2014Ariana is a modern Russian restaurant under suspicion of beig very good. We enjoyed their modern (ie new take ) on beef Strauginoff (sp) very much. It's a new restaurant, so go fill the tables and enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative and decadentSwetaVIPDined on 5/14/2014Ariana presents a creative twist on a traditional cuisine. The food is delicious and decadent, and the vodka-based cocktails are perfectly paired with the bold flavors. The shrimp appetizer and duo of chicken and foie gras pate are divine. The slow cooked oxtail soup is a innovative spin on a Russian classic. For mains we tried the lobster stuffed cabbage and duck dumplings. Both were rich and delicious. I wasn't able to finish the dumplings and enjoyed them at home the next day, and now am wishing the offered delivery! This restaurant is a must-try!Special Features:
- Grateful and ThrilledVitaleDined on 5/6/2014I've dined there twice now and, both times, the food was absolutely excellent. Delicious and beautifully presented. Everything about the place is pleasing. But the food tops all. Last time, I brought an old friend visiting from out of town. She declared during dinner that it was the "best food" she'd ever eaten. I have to agree with her. And both of us are very good cooks ourselves. The Craft Vodka bar is very tempting and I hope to try some of these concoctions when I don't have to work the following day! Ariana is now one of my 3 top choices in restaurants in New York City. I dine out often and am very, very particular. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Russian RarityJanetWDined on 5/6/2014This was my second time dining at Ariana, and it was every bit as wonderful this time as the first. The menu offers Russian fare prepared with exceptional attention to detail and geared to sophisticated tastes. We split the delicious harvest salad and the meat charcuterie that consisted of venison carpaccio, marinated “salo” pork fat, and roasted pork shoulder with two exceptional sauces: a tangy mustand and a delicious horseradish option. We followed our appetizeres with the tasty duck pelmini (a type of dumpling) and the veranicki (half moons) filled with farmer's cheese and suluguni. The wait staff was gracious and accomodating when I expressed concern about an ingredient and immediately offered an equally tasty substitution.Special Features:
- The following 16 reviews are from the Ariana reviews archive.
- Ariana was fantasticVinspoDined on 4/26/2014First, the bartender specializes in Vodka mixology which is pretty impressive in itself. They have a martini with pickle juice that is outstanding. The food was very good and so was the service. HIGHLY RECOMMEND.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- welcome newcomerbilllVIPDined on 4/25/2014Rarely seen dishes from Ukraine, Russia, other Eastern European cuisines. Really helpful, thoughtful staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Russian SophisticationJanetWDined on 4/22/2014Ariana is an incredible find and a cut above the other Russian restaurants in which I've eaten. Here, the chef took traditional dishes and elevated them with special ingredients and plating. The owner made sure that every table felt welcomed into his home and went a step further by giving each patron a small plate of the roast suckling pig the kitchen had been preparing. Heaven! From the appetizers through to the dessert, the food was delicious, unique, and beautifully presented.Special Features:
- Rose624VIPDined on 4/16/2014The food here was delicious and very inventive. I had the lobster stuffed cabbage for an entree and the prawns for an appetizer. I had the dessert special which I can't remember the name of but it was to die for. A chocolate fudge tower with cherries and honey sauce. The service was very friendly and accomodating. I would definitely go back again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Modern RussianjmoenchDined on 4/10/2014Amazing food and nice quiet atmosphere. New spot in Noho. Get there before it becomes crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected GemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/5/2014We were searching opentable for a restaurant in the area. Ariana showed as available ( at this time it was not even 1 month old). I looked at the menu and thought lets give modern Russian a shot. What we got was so much more. Ariana has designed a wonderful mix of traditional Russian with a strong French influence to make a light delicate menu. The food was great and Ambiance was lovely. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ariana is a nice place to eatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/29/2014This is the first time I visited Ariana everything was very good and the service was great. the food portions were too small other than that this is an excellent place to eatSpecial Features:
- We thoroughly enjoyed theOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/29/2014We thoroughly enjoyed the interpretations of traditional dishes with a modern update. And the vodka drink list was a great and lots of interesting flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stand-out food, other problemsDinonymousDined on 3/29/2014Original, savvy twists on Classic Russian fare, the food is the best part of the experience by far (try each of the excellent breads). Watch out for aggressive wine prices and gouging on bottled water. The staff is stiffly scripted, young, innocently enthusiastic and over-attentive, learning on the job. I'll probably try again in six months because the food is very fine, hoping that they ironed out their wrinkles.Special Features:
- A Soho Find!!JuliamoVIPDined on 3/24/2014I was very happy to have found this restaurant a few weeks ago on my way home. This is a very unexpected find!!. This is Russian food turned on its ear, with a creative, modern approach, not heavy or traditional. It is evident that the ingredients are very high end, and the result is elegant and sophisticated. The rooms are well done, everything feels open and airy. It might be worth a mention that there is plenty of space between tables, so often one feels cramped in NY restaurants but Ariana has gone out of its way to ensure the patron's comfort. All in all I have gone back twice now and this is before the official opening.......I predict that this is one of the new restaurants that will make it......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new restaurant!ZvladVIPDined on 3/22/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our diner at Ariana! Food was very inventive and excellent and the drinks were great too! Our favorites were the shrimp appetizer, rabbit, lobster, and the cheese stuffed vareniki (dumplings) entrees. We will definitely return soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply amazingNyc123Dined on 3/21/2014Ariana and her husband Lev have pulled off an amazing experience. Chef's variations on classic Russian dishes are to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Food and ServiceCharlesDined on 3/21/2014The food was excellent and the staff was very attentive. It is a new place, but they already have excellent execution.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent restaurant !! VeryOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 3/15/2014Excellent restaurant !! Very creative cuisine. Extremely attentive and friendly service.Special Features:
- New Russian Gem in SohoNYFoodieDined on 3/1/2014Modern, sophisticated preparation of Russian dishes + excellent vibe = Highly enjoyable evening at Ariana. We came here on a Saturday night with no real expectations because we are not very familiar with Russian cuisine, but were pleasantly surprised by the delicious food, creative cocktails, and refined setting. The standout dishes were the pickle salad, horseradish prawns, and lobster stuffed cabbage. Presentation of all courses was beautiful and service was friendly. The cocktails are unique and definitely worth a try -- we had the pear martini and strawberry fennel. The area by the bar was busy all night, but it never got so loud that we couldn't have a conversation. Overall, it was a highly enjoyable evening and we plan to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Miracle on Houston StreetOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/25/2014The food--a very modern version of traditional Russian, e.g. pelmeni stuffed with duck breast, roast quail with pecan puree, red cabbage stuffed with lobster mousse--was superb, portions not too large (too small, admittedly, for those who like overstuffed American dining), everything house-made, even the crackers for the remarkably light country pate with foie gras. Every dish was original in some sense, all perfectly thought out. We spent $160 for two, and has as good as or better a meal than we've had at restaurants costing twice as much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.