Argyll Whisky Beer
1035 E 17th Ave
Denver, CO 80218Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
Argyll Whisky Beer
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.argylldenver.com/
- Phone: 3038470850x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm
Friday: 11:00am - 2:00am
Saturday: 10am - 2am
Sunday: 10:00am - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: John Broening
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Argyll Whisky Beer
Focused on approachable elevated British pub cuisine, European and Colorado beers and whiskies from around the world, Argyll conveys a sense of old world rugged elegance and deep warmth. Argyll’s motto, “Eat Well - Drink Slowly - Speak Warmly” is made all the more profound with the addition of famed local chef John Broening. Chef Broening’s renowned focus on local, fresh ingredients pairs charmingly with Level 2 Cicerone Ryan Conklin’s dimensional and balanced global beer program.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Argyll Whisky Beer - Best Restaurants in Uptown ›
Argyll Whisky Beer reviews from OpenTable diners
77 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (47)fit for foodies (44)great for outdoor dining (30)good for groups (25)vibrant bar scene (24)hot spot (22)special occasion (20)great for lunch (15)late-night find (14)great for brunch (13)romantic (10)notable wine list (4)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Go for the bar, not for dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Went to Argyll for my husband's birthday. The ambiance was nice, the service was good. The food, however, was totally blah. My fish and chips was breaded almost like a corndog, and my husband's pork chop was dry (even for a porkchop)! The bar looked cool, however, and they had an impressive whisky selection. I'd come back for the bar and a few pub snacks, not for dinner.Special Features:
- Great food & drinks but...Sloweats49Dined on 10/18/2014We had a great meal and cocktails but the service was slow and not as considerate as we'd hoped for. The manager/host immediately took care if it when we spoke to her & gave us some generous comps! I'll definitely return because of that, the food and atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost but not quite!TastyopinionsDined on 10/17/2014AWB is a warm venue with natural woods & shiny surfaces. There's a treasure trove of single malt & blended scotch, and a fine variety of whiskies. But do not expect more from the food than from the corner pub. Choices are well written, less well executed. Bangers & Mash arrived with tasty lamb sausage, paired with chicken sausage that didn't retain its shape, disintegrating into a puddle of mush alongside a bland mash. The Tuna Nicoise, the consistency of cat food, was layered between leaves of iceberg lettuce with too little seasoning to recognize. The servers are enthusiastic & fiercely, touting the best of menu choices. Dessert was great, chocolate truffle cake was all truffle & little cake! Go here for new scotches & whiskies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/11/2014Awesome, beer list and even better Whiskey list! The food was incredible! So happy this place is in my neighborhood! Outdoor seating is very nice, but the weather was too chilly for us to use, but I can see this a huge plus in the warmer months!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb Evening at Argyll Whisky BarMaisiegirlDined on 10/10/2014Executive Chef John Broening has created an excellent upscale gastropub menu and scene in the Uptown neighborhood. The food was incredible and tasty, the cocktails and wine choices were perfect and the chocolate mousse was delectable. Our table enjoyed the seasonal fall salads, the pork chop and short rib entrees. The meat was moist and flavorful and was complimented with appropriate sides (veggies and cheese mashers). The flavors were unique and offer a new perspective on traditional UK favorites. The Staff was informative and attentive despite the busy Friday evening crowd. We can't wait to return to sample other menu items.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/8/2014We enjoyed a flight of bourbon and our server spent a great deal of time educating us on whiskey and bourbon! I enjoyed the fish and chips (with a great sweet dipping sauce and fresh mint and pea paste) and my partner enjoyed a pork chop with blue cheese sauce, over a bed of apples, brussel sprouts, and pancetta. Was also served fresh house chips while waiting for meal. Ambiance was good, and then even better after dark. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good, but inconsistentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/26/2014This restaurant is hot and cold, but I haven't found much in between. I've been here and had some of the best service of my life...but also some of the worst, thankfully this wasn't one of those nights. We had Rio and he was particularly phenomenal. The food tends to be hit or miss as well. The ramen I ate last time had me dying to come back, only to have it (almost)unbearably salty this time around, and we've had similar interactions with some of their appetizer main stays. What never fails to disappoint, though, is the bar. Drinks are always incredible, and reasonably priced. To get a good Manhattan, among other things, for 7$ is killer and will keep me coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nearly perfect.TheBeardDined on 9/26/2014We really enjoyed the atmosphere and the was mostly great. Our server wasn't the most pleasant person in the world, but she was knowledgeable, polite, and gave great recommendations. She just seemed annoyed, and it was noticeable to both my wife and I. Otherwise we enjoyed everything about it. The menu is smart and every piece of each dish was intentional paired together and delicious. We will be retuning very soon.Special Features:
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014Very good food. Creative cuisine. Good service. Very nice ambiance.Special Features:
- Great food-too much noisezenfranDined on 9/21/2014My husband and I were fans of the Argyll in its Cherry Creek incarnation and at the new location the food is even more fantastic. The salad plates are a delight to the eye as well as the palate and all of the ingredients are handled with talent, subtlety and creativity. Our server was highly knowledgeable and enthusiastic. My only regret is that the choice of soundtracks and the decibel level of the music does not show the same level of sophistication.Special Features:
- Hello? What's the holdup?UessDined on 9/16/2014The food was very good, the presentation was excellent, but, oh, the pacing was excruciatingly slow. And this was even though the restaurant was not even close to full. It took more than two-and-a-half hours for four people to have a couple of salads to start, three burgers and a main-course salad, and two desserts. I'm not looking to get in and out in an hour, but this was frustrating in the extreme.
- retired nurseirish47galDined on 9/1/2014I remember the first location in cherry creek went 2-3 times a month, very outstanding food. This time is was just ok. won't go back, the potted shrimp was dry and didn't work for 3 people.The chips with the shrimp also didn't work. My fish & chips were too greasy.The lamb burger was dry & dull. On a positive note the duck per my guest was outstanding.Special Features:
- Great place for drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014They had the biggest selection of whiskey and alcohol in general that I have ever seen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Argyll is a true gem!Pantstastico66Dined on 8/28/2014Argyll has grown by leaps and bounds over what it was in Cherry Creek. In fact, it's probably best to regard it as an entirely new and different restaurant. Everything about my multiple experiences there has far exceeded any expectations! The service and the knowledge of the servers with regard to every aspect of the menus is surprising...in the best way. Expect thoughtful and educated recommendations and suggestions for pairings from servers and bartenders alike. It feels like everyone on staff has a stake in the well being of the restaurant and that translates to relaxed, impeccable service and an experience(s) that feels like you're amongst friends and everyone's there for a good time! Make Argyll a regular stop!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super experienceWineloverDined on 8/26/2014Excellent service, knowledgeable about whiskey, good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/25/2014Always been a fan of John Broening's restaurants and this doesn't disappoint!Special Features:
- I was impressed!bobertskiDined on 8/23/2014I had the bangers and mash and holy god was it good. Scotch eggs were amazing also. Good beer list. I came in with low expectations thinking this was just another new denver restaurant but it exceded my expectations. Not too many upscale english restaurants. Will go back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eclectic and fun menubcskierVIPDined on 8/23/2014Very well executed. Combination of brunch and pub fare with a modern twist. Great cocktail, beer and whisky lists. Welcome back, Argyll!Special Features:
- They're baaaack!kikerchefDined on 8/22/2014I had been to Argyll when it was in Cherry Creek North. Loved it then- super cozy below street level spot. Now they're smack in the center of things. Glad they can back!! Had great food in a great room with a really perfect waiter! Seriously, he was uncanny in his ability to predict when we needed him. The only negative was the noise. The restsurant is generously sized. Guess there's nothing to dampen the noise. Also, I wouldn't want to sit by the kitchen (and I usually love to watch the chefs) because the light is very bright. It was like a spotlight. They need to work on that. The light everywhere else is perfect. Overall, it was a great experience. I'll be back over and over again! Duck liver mousse was dreamy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anglophiles, Pay Attention!StephHAVIPDined on 8/17/2014Having lived in London for a while, going to Argyll immediately transported me back to the UK. Fit for Foodies who want the London experience. Really enjoyed it, and the service was outstanding.Special Features:
- DisappointedBobbyVIPDined on 8/16/2014We were really disappointed in the new Argyle. The sheperd's pie was tasteless and too dry. The chips with the fish and chips were overlooked and mushy. The music was overwhelming.
- Classy and FunpsTilleyDined on 8/14/2014Have already been here twice since it's opened and each time has been an out of this world experience. Staff is beyond knowledgeable and really wants to ensure you have a great time. Menu is super impressive, the whiskey menu even more so. This is our go-to place when we want to impress, so happy Argyll is open again-- and this location is 300% better than the previous. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Really Great SpotDnc1Dined on 8/14/2014The food was exceptionally delicious, and there is an extensive list of fantastic whiskeys. The gentleman in charge of selecting their whiskeys and beers selected a rye flight for our table, and provided a very informative and interesting walkthrough of what to look for as we moved through the flight. And the decor and furniture is outstanding. Especially the belt walls!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Hot SpotTheatregoerDined on 8/8/2014Argyll Whisky Beer, located in the space formerly occupied by Las Margaritas, is the best opening in the Uptown area in a while. Inventive "pub grub" but with an upscale tone, extensive beer and whisky (and whiskey) lists, this place is on its way up. I recommend you get a reservation while you can.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JJeatsVIPDined on 8/7/2014We enjoyed the take on British offerings. The stacked salads were most attractive and delicious. Problem was the fish and chips, both of which were mushy and not firm.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/6/2014Beautifully-decorated restaurant on a bustling corner in a hot neighborhood. Terrific service, fabulous food (amazing squash salad!) and excellent people watching.Special Features:
- Good food, overpricedKasiaDined on 8/3/2014The food was very good but i thought many items were overpriced for what they were - $19 for a somewhat small serving of shepherds pie, $9 for a single link of kielbasa. The whiskey list was quite extensice and the beer selection was pretty good as well. I don't recommend sitting on the back patio as you'll get periodic whiffs of garbage coming from the alley, the front patio looked nice though.I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOW!maccheeselvrDined on 8/2/2014Everything about Argyll is great! The food, drinks, service and the noise level. We heard about the place through the paper and were very surprised to see it lived up to the rating. I had the squash salad and duck breast and both were fantastic. The music was just loud enough for us to hear it but not too loud, which we like. You cannot go wrong by eating here.Special Features:
- ExpensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/1/2014Way over priced for what this is. If you thought this place was pricey in Cherry Creek North, just try it on 17th. Not bad food by any means, but not worth the price.
- A good time was had by allmsreDined on 7/23/2014We enjoyed meeting friends for dinner. One of our guests commented that the view out the atrium windows "really looks like a city." Uptown has come a long way. The design of the restaurant is charming. We all enjoyed our meals-- duck, beef, and shepherd's pie. Service was friendly but more knowledgeable about whiskey/beer than what was on the wine list. Two concerns: Who runs out of a wine on Monday night and does not reorder it for Tuesday dinner? Also, when has it been the practice to charge more than triple retail for a bottle of wine?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over priced!denverfoodieloveVIPDined on 7/21/2014We frequently dine at more expensive restaurants, for both the quality of the food and the service. For the price of the food, this place fell really short. I tried the Shepard's pie, and for the $19 price tag (and the fact that it was listed under the dinner section of the menu, and not the app section) the portion was super small, and the filling was super salty. The whiskey list is extensive, and is something that was a highlight of the visit. I thought the scotch egg was decent, and the oysters were pretty good (get the curry ketchup for the sauce!). The service was decent, but lacking in knowledge of their own menu. Overall it was a so-so experience.Special Features:
- undercookedvegansVIPDined on 7/19/2014The restaurant is lovely. The service is exceptional. We're vegan/vegetarian . My husband ordered cauliflower curry. The rice and the potatoes in the dish were very undercooked, not al dentte - truly undercooked. I asked about the ramen tea bowl - and ordered it without egg - no problem. when it arrived I was surprised to encounter piles of meat - chicken, pork, I don't know - I knew it was prepared with pork and chicken broth, but neither in the menu, nor in the server's verbal description did it mention that there would be chunks of flesh in the dish. I removed it and the meat chunks covered a salad plate! We live half a block from this restaurant and were hoping it might have some delectable vegan/vegetarian options. Not so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- well doneMindyDined on 7/19/2014The reworking of the restaurant and the cuisine is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Entrees are a little priceymm20Dined on 7/14/2014I paid $18 for a small plate of curried cauliflower. Definitely excessive for the portion and for a vegetarian dish. I'm told that the burgers are a better value. I'll go that route if I go back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/11/2014Tried the pickled trout and potted shrimp with some nice wine on the patio. Very enjoyable.Special Features:
- SalesBadgerVIPDined on 7/6/2014My wife and I went there for dinner the other night. This was not our first time there and the food and service was as great as the first time we were there! The Whiskey selection is amazing. We started with the Gin cured Salmon which tasted as good as it looked. My wife loved the Salad Nicoise and I throughly enjoyed the Fish and Chips. The Triple Cooked Chips are my favorite part!Special Features:
- So so food that is over pricedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/5/2014Service was not great. Waited more than five minutes in the restaurant with only one other table inside that was seated. Left with silverware but with food to eat twice. Server went by our table multiple times when we had empty drinks. Fish and chips were good but the olives were mushy and over priced.
- Unfortunately Poor ServiceIsaacDined on 6/25/2014Went in for birthday dinner on a Wednesday evening. From the moment we stepped in the door, the service was lacking. Waiter was unbelievably slow all evening including not bringing the wine I had ordered for my main course until we were done. He did comp it, but I would have rather received it with my meal. Food was ok, not great. Scotch egg was flavorless. Fish and chips average to below average. Soup was good and fish of the day was enjoyable. Unfortunately, the service was poor enough I doubt I would go back.
- The following 12 reviews are from the Argyll Whisky Beer reviews archive.
- Excellent!shawbadVIPDined on 6/22/2014The restaurant had recently opened and was near our daughter's condo. We could literally walk there! I'd heard about it when it was in the Cherry Creek area. Food was excellent - small, but interesting wine list - and of course whiskey! We will be back.Special Features:
- Poor executionNdenverVIPDined on 6/22/2014Was looking forward to returning to one of our favorite places when they re-opened on 17th. Food is better than average except for the almost inedible fish of the fish and chips. However, the service is simply not functional. Half-full and it was 20 min before anyone even acknowledged us at the table and it just went downhill from there. The manager knew something was wrong as she came by to blankly ask if everything was ok, twice... We ended up getting our main courses at 815pm (we sat down at 625pm). Hopefully they can improve the operation or this place will be short-lived. Also, a bit surprising, was the price of their signature dish, bangers and mash, for $28! Let's just say...???