2820 Main St.
Santa Monica, CA 90405Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://arealrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3103921661x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00 am - 3:00 pm;
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 10:00 am - 5:00 pm;
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00 pm - 12:00 am, Friday - Saturday: 5:00 pm - 1:00 am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ben Diaz
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Let Areal Restaurant bring the party to your house. We strive to bring the same dining experience we provide here at the restaurant to all our outside events.
- Entertainment: Every Wednesday night come down for some of the best Blue Grass west of the mississippi with "The Get Down Boys".
Sunday evenings enjoy the patio with guitar virtuoso Josh Balbien.
A word from Areal Restaurant
Areal is set in a comfortable atmosphere near the beach with a large outdoor patio, a dining room, and a lounge/bar. A light and flavorful seasonally driven menu is offered along with a wood-burning oven that is used for artisan pizzas. We are a farm-to-plate restaurant who practices sustainability in everything we can.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Areal Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Santa Monica ›
Areal Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (25)good for groups (16)neighborhood gem (15)great for brunch (14)great for lunch (13)hot spot (9)fit for foodies (9)vibrant bar scene (6)late-night find (5)special occasion (4)romantic (2)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- casual and niceDespinaVIPDined on 9/25/2014Great happy hour menu and great service.Would only go back after work.Special Features:
- Wonderful musicSuprinaVIPDined on 9/24/2014Great drinks. Food was a bit salty for me but it was very fresh. The Happy Hour specials were a great value. The BAND was a feast for the ears!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable afternoonJCCWDined on 9/17/2014I was at Areal Restaurant for a quiet afternoon lunch with a friend. The service was impeccable, the food was delish! The atmosphere was perfect for getting caught up with a friend. We sat outside with a slight breeze and warm sunshine. Thoroughly enjoyable experience and I look forward to going again.Special Features:
- excellent happy hourJJJJVIPDined on 9/16/2014..with a wide variety of items to choose from, gourmet items to pizza and wings.Special Features:
- good food and dim lightstakem3outDined on 9/8/2014The food was awesome. I ordered the salmon which was pan seared and i also had a mixed drink called a Lilly, that was refreshing. Great place to meet a new friendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Areal--Great Saturday Night SpotPbandjDined on 9/6/2014Our time at Areal was relaxing but still came with a good energy. The Brussels sprouts were amazing--it was my main dish (I had a heap of the shrimp ceviche and lobster appetizer beforehand). My husband and our friend each got a pizza and weren't disappointed. They also made me a non-alcoholic version of a Moscow mule--what a treat! A number of celebratory groups were dining there on Saturday night and some folks brought their dogs (so the patio is dog-friendly for those with a Fido). Service was great, too. Overall, we had a really chill dinner at Areal.Special Features:
- way too loudmob30dinerDined on 9/6/2014The noise level was very high. Patrons were talking so loudly you could barely hear the person next to you. The music was also very loud which makes people talk even louder. Sitting inside was not a nice experience; recommended to sit outside IF you can get a table. The food was great but not being able to talk or listen was a major bummer.I would recommend this to a friend.
- VibrantShimodaDined on 8/22/2014A restaurant full of life, with great food, attentive and fast serviceSpecial Features:
- Great Food, Small PortionsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/16/2014The food and service were great but I left hungry. I don't think I've ever been served only one piece of toast (with eggs) at a restaurant ever, let alone when the dish was this pricy. Also was surprised at how many children were there considering this is a bit of an upscale place for a brunch. Not sure if I would go back.Special Features:
- Love this place!becominghousetrainedDined on 8/3/2014This place is fantastic. The food is great and the service is wonderful. Grayson and Josh are on top of it as is all the staff. Areal is one of my favorite spots!Special Features:
- Lovely eateryRookieDinerDined on 7/26/2014Loved everything about this place. Yummy appetizers, tasty cocktails, great service. The lighting at night seems more fit for couples, but its a lovely looking spot. Would definitely recommend it to my friends.Special Features:
- Service and too saucyeaterDined on 7/19/2014Service below standard, the hostess sat us down and waited 20 minutes, before anyone came by, depsite the fact that 3 waiters went right by us. The salad and entres had too much dressing/sauce. Also despite it was dine LA week, they claim that after 10 pm the program is not available, lousy policySpecial Features:
- Just OKmattVIPDined on 7/4/2014I have been here twice first time i went the service was horrible took them over 45 minutes just to take our order, due to the fact that they were so understaffed at the time it was just two waiters for the outdoor area when it was packed. Food was not the best the first time either.. 2nd time I went i had the same server and he was just as slow with only a few tables....food was better the 2nd time at least.
- mediocreterilynnVIPDined on 6/24/2014We were really looking forward to a lovely outdoor dining experience and the menu looked good. However the menu read, the food was not good. We ordered a kale salad that was bland and the quinoa salad was dry and boring. The pizza was pretty good as was the salmon but not enough to bring us back. Finally, the chocolate ganache was ordinary and not worth the calories.
- The following 122 reviews are from the Areal Restaurant reviews archive.
- Great staffrensocalDined on 6/15/2014We went for Father's Day brunch. The food was good and the staff fantastic. Great place for brunch.Special Features:
- Good food, long waitSoupDined on 6/14/2014Went here for brunch with some girlfriends. They seemed very busy with lots of big parties for graduations. Thank god we got the bottomless mimosa since it took AN HOUR for us to get our food. Nonetheless, the food was delicious. I will probably go back but will make sure that I'm not starving the next time I go.Special Features:
- good findsan13Dined on 6/13/2014good food, great place for casual dining, nice outdoor dining area, try it - you'll like it. i will be returning.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 5/25/2014They made a mistake with my order and it took over 30 minutes to bring it out while everyone was finished with lunch. It was uncomfortable and I was surprised they didn't take it off the menu.
- Looove this place!AubsDined on 5/25/2014Took a friend here for brunch that was visiting in town. I hadn't been there but heard about it. We went for brunch and it was DELISH. We did the $15 all you can drink mimosas - also amazing. We sat on the lovely porch outside and played a mustache card game. The servers were nice and played along with us, which made it more fun. We were there for several hours and had a lovely time. I'd definitely go back!Special Features:
- ScottrauchVIPDined on 5/24/2014Everyone loved their food except me, don't order the lobster club, it was seriously terrible
- Great Mothers Day Brunch!mrskimbel19Dined on 5/11/2014My husband and I brought my mom here for their Mothers Day brunch buffet and had a lovely afternoon. The restaurant is cute with a pretty patio. Food was really good with lots of options - Quinoa salad, eggs, potatoes, French Toast, fruit, muffins... This was our first time there but we'll definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014Mother's day brunch was a hit! I will definitely be coming back again. The weather was perfect as we were sitting underneath an umbrella. Good food and bottomless mimosas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I don't write reviewsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014So helpful! Efficient! Kind! I would love to comeback with my mother or friends. My mother made my reservation and said I'd like it without ever going herself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Mothers Day brunchPoeticFoodDined on 5/11/2014This location was amazing and had the greatest staff. The food was delicious and the service was prompt on Mother's day morning. The waiter Josh (I believe) made us feel like we were eating breakfast at a family's home. Since breakfast was the only thing we consumed I cannot rate the restaurant in any other food category. The mimosas were also mixed to perfection. Beautiful quaint location, the building isn't too big and not too small. Ample parking $2.00 for 2hr max and its metered parking that accepts credit/debit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun spotamkagDined on 5/10/2014Food was okay, not spectacular. But the location and ambiance was fun.Special Features:
- Rude and inattentive BAD ServiceluluVIPDined on 4/27/2014Made a reservation using Open Table, and arrived right on time, but still had to wait 30+ minutes for a table. Instead of apologizing or hurrying to find a table, the staff acted as if this was a normal occurrence. We ordered our food and drinks, and 5 minutes later the waiter came back without our drinks and just slammed down menus onto our table again. We didn't know if he forgot we had already ordered or if we needed to make a new selection from the menu, because the waiter said nothing at the time, and just briskly walked away. Then another 15 minutes later into our meal ( a bus boy brought us our food), the waiter finally came back and explained that they didn't have the beers we wanted and did we make another selection... Ugh!!!
- DissapointedOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/27/2014It took 1 hour to get our food and had to complain with the manager twice!Special Features:
- delicious brunch4crazykidsVIPDined on 4/19/2014great vibe, good food ... a perfect brunch spot in santa monica/venice areaSpecial Features:
- good experience!RockitliveVIPDined on 3/30/2014we were in town on business and had a really good experience here --- we were a group of 10 and 6 were kids (12-18) and everyone had a really great night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Host Desk MeltdownPainterly44VIPDined on 3/16/2014One would assume having a reservation for brunch would get you a nice little table for two on the patio for brunch. Unfortunately the host desk was manned by two very scared looking teens who were getting bullied by impatient guests (who I assume did not have reservations).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great girls night outEastsidegirlDined on 3/7/2014We celebrated a friend's birthday here on Friday night and had a lovely time. We started with happy hour drinks and apps, which are an amazing deal. They came promptly and were all delicious -- my favorite were the squash blossoms and truffle mac and cheese. Then we ordered some salads and more cocktails. The bill was so reasonable, and the service was great. They even brought a cake slice and sang to our friend. I would definitely recommend this lovely patio restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Many Happy ReturnsBillyjoe52Dined on 3/2/2014We have been here several times, in fact, we held our son's rehearsal dinner here some months ago. We've not been disappointed. The food is a mix of traditional and novel, healthy and some comfort foods. Beers and wines are great. It's usually fairly busy so don't hesitate to make a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So busy food took an hour to comeblueDined on 2/16/2014We had a great brunch minus the fact that the food took forever to come out. By the time we got the food we devoured it in about 4 minutes. The food was delicious and came out hot. We just wish 45 minutes earlier...Special Features:
- great food, LONG waitSUdinerVIPDined on 2/16/2014We had a 12:30pm reservation, were seated at 1pm. Ordered by 1:15. Our food arrived around 2:30! The poor waiter was beside himself as none of his tables' food was being completed in a timely manner. By the time our food arrived, at least 4 tables had left having grown tired of waiting. Each time a new group was seated, other disgruntled diners were telling them how long they had waiters and at least 3 tables of newly seated guests left within five minutes of arriving. Our waiter was offering us drinks,but how much can you drink without food? There were a few very large groups seated outside and clearly they had overwhelmed the kitchen, indicating either under-staffing or very poor planning.
- Belated Valentine's DinnerOYLFREEDined on 2/15/2014My husband and I wanted a romantic dinner with great ambiance, healthful menu choices and not outrageously expensive- we got all of this and so much more at Areal. And let me add: Bacon-wrapped dates!!!! Highly recommend this wonderful restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NOT A MEMORABLE EXPERIENCE!!!lollytoodumbDined on 2/14/2014I would never ever go back to this restaurant. It was my first and last time I will go. Poor service ... our wine arrived after our dinner was finished. The food was very very mediocre and took WAY TOO LONG to get your food. The waitress told us it was her first day at the job and it showed. She was confused the whole time and the whole order was screwed up. The food tasted terrible and the heaters were cranked so high I thought I was going to melt!!!
- bring your coat even if youOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/7/2014bring your coat even if you are inside. It was cold and uncomfortable..
- Great Mimosas!misscupcakezDined on 2/2/2014Made reservations for 5 for Sunday brunch. My friend has a 6 month old baby and they had high-chairs and were kid friendly. Mimosas were delicious and the waiter was on point with refilling our glasses! Plus he was super energetic which was really great and inviting especially since it was our first time here. Food took awhile to get to the table but since it was Sunday we didn't mind...had time to talk/relax. Loved it and can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Food is outstanding, and greatdtttttVIPDined on 1/24/2014Food is outstanding, and great selection of draught beers. Unfortunately, noise level is very high (loud music, echoing) so probably not the best place to choose for a quiet conversation.
- Just OK...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/18/2014Nothing really exceptional to write about...food was just OK. The server was just OK. He didn't really know the menu when asked about an entree. He actually had to look at the menu. No specials and we were there on a Saturday night! Wouldn't recommend this restaurant and probably wouldn't go back. Lot's of other really good restaurants on Main St. Don't bother...