Ardeo + Bardeo
3311 Connecticut Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20008Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Ardeo + Bardeo
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ardeobardeo.com/
- Phone: 2022446750x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm Saturday & Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 3:00pm, Sunday & Monday Dinner 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Matt Kuhn
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Ardeo's private dining room can accommodate parties up to 45 guests for dinner and 60 guests for a reception. Also when the weather is nice our roof terrace is available for parties. Please contact the restaurant for details.
- Private Party Contact: Fran Nepomuceno 2022446750x
- Cross Street: Macomb
- Public Transit: Cleveland Park Metro Stop (Red Line)
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet parking available evenings starting at 6:00 PM. $8 per car--bring your ticket into the restaurant with you and have your $8 charge added to your check. We have a limited amount of spaces, but we will gladly validate for up to two hours of parking at the nearby Sam's Park and Shop if our valet lot fills up.
A word from Ardeo + Bardeo
Ardeo+Bardeo, located in the historic district of Cleveland Park -- four miles from the White House -- is a neighborhood favorite serving modern American cuisine. The restaurant underwent a major renovation in November 2010 to enhance the modern bistro and wine bar, uniting the two restaurants with a 24-seat island bar. Executive Chef Nate Garyantes has crafted a menu which features cured meats, soups and salads, savory snacks, seasonal vegetables dishes and brick oven baked flatbreads. Ardeo+Bardeo has become a virtual “Who’s Who” of Washington. Those who frequent include Madeleine Albright, Jim Lehrer, Alan Greenspan and the former first family, the Clintons.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ardeo + Bardeo reviews from OpenTable diners
195 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (110)neighborhood gem (103)great for brunch (72)special occasion (58)good for groups (48)romantic (40)notable wine list (33)great for outdoor dining (21)vibrant bar scene (20)hot spot (15)great for lunch (14)kid-friendly (11)late-night find (8)scenic view (2)Show More
- After the Uptown, check it out!WaifDined on 8/23/2014Great spot for after-movie dinner. Mussels, cod very good. Rice pudding great. Chocolate peanut butter bar -- fabulous!Special Features:
- Excellent flavors!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/23/2014A stellar menu, lovely upper floor dining and roof deck, superb service. Loved that we could order 1/2 portions of their pasta offerings. Made it possible to try two fabulous options. My husband found the fried oysters on fresh polenta to be amazing. Loved our quieter location, upstairs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very DisappointingWineandvistasVIPDined on 8/17/2014I was shocked to see that I was the only guest in the restaurant for dinner upon my arrival. When I left, there were only two other tables with guests (I dined on a Sunday evening). The front of the restaurant needed cleaning--there were webs, dirt, and chipped paint. Inside was nice enough, but the view through the windows was dismal. My deviled eggs appetizer was good enough (hard to mess that one up), but my entre (a sandwich) was flavorless. I managed to eat half of it. Needless to say, I was very disappointed with my experience.
- RW MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/16/2014Came for Restaurant Week. First and Second Course were good; dessert round was a miss. The rice pudding was too thick to the point that it was solid. The berry/lemon crisp was not fresh so the crisp part was almost stale. Despite the miss on the dessert round, the service was where I was somewhat frustrated with. We were seated on time, however, we waited about 15minutes after we've set both of our menus down for the waiter to come by for our drink order. We ordered a bottle of wine, and what initially came out wasn't anywhere near what we ordered. There was a wait staff switch, we didn't get the same waiter after the correct bottle came out and service was smoother with the second waiter.
- decent placeanonVIPDined on 8/16/2014The wine list year is a bit pricey relative to what you are getting. There is nothing (or very little) on the menu for under $45/bottle; however there are a couple wine flight options and lots of wines by the glass. I guess that is ok, but if you are in the mood for a bottle of wine then you are a bit screwed. Perhaps a few offers of a Malbec or Rioja, regions that are known for inexpensive and good wine, should be offered at more reasonable price points. The menu is fine, but a bit broad. The bouillabaisse is not good; the octopus appetizer was nice and a good portion. However, the spices/seasoning was heavy handed (and was for everything). This place is good but not one of the best in DC and is a good last resort for a night out.
- A&B brunchNancyDined on 8/16/2014very nice, very good food, and my friend and i had fun. The noise level was high, though. Bad acoustics.Special Features:
- SmittyRayVIPDined on 8/15/2014Was disappointed for the first time. Food was very average and service was extremely slow. Had to wait for almost 15 minutes to receive our drink order. Food was cold and not very tasty.
- Food Great; Problem with "service"StuckDined on 8/13/2014The meal was lovely and the waiter very nice. The noise was unbearable -- way too many tables in the restaurant. But there was a problem. My friend who was with me went to the ladies room. She found herself locked in the stall and had to crawl out under the door. lWe reported this to manager who said she would look into it. She showed no sympathy for the distress this caused my friend, didn't offer to have her clothes cleaned or even a complimentary "something' . With all the great restaurants in D.C. I might not be coming back.Special Features:
- good for foodiesdannsamjVIPDined on 8/13/2014A very nice restaurant in the Cleveland Park area near the Metro. Excellent cuisine and service. It is quite noisy , however.Special Features:
- Ardeo + BardeoVAcoupleVIPDined on 8/11/2014Food was very good, but the service was disappointing. We had reservations, and even though restaurant was half empty and other tables appeared available, we were seated next to a high traffic staircase. Despite the traffic of service staff, our water glasses were empty more often than full.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/11/2014All the dishes we ordered were excellent. In particular, the tomatoes with burrata had the best yellow summer tomatoes and excellent cheese. The bouillabaisse was outstanding - several large grilled shrimp and mussels with just the right amount of soup and excellent toast. The service was prompt and attentive. We were there on a Monday evening so the quiet rating might not always apply.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/11/2014We went to Ardeo+Bardeo during Resturant Week. Love that you can order from the regular menu! We had Heirloom tomate salad and crispy brussel spounts for appetizers. Both were great! We had the trout for entree and and the berry crisp for dessert. The crisp is to die for! Our service was also excellent. We'll be back, even not during Restaurant Weel!
- Thanks!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/10/2014Crossed another Top 100 off the list and had a great time doing it. Thank you for a great dinner!Special Features:
- GreatFoodie223Dined on 8/10/2014Fit for foodies Great for vegetarians Great service Reasonable priceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/8/2014We had a great time. Food was very good and was great to share. Service was very nice and knowledgeable. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Tomato Tasting Menu!BrandrBVIPDined on 8/8/2014Excellent dinner at Ardeo + Bardeo featured an inventive tomato tasting menu (3 courses - with tomatoes highlighted on each course - for $39) plus wine pairings. Gracious service, good ambiance, and interesting food pairings (such as the cherokee purple tomato sherbet dessert) made for a very enjoyable meal. We'll definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Peaceful dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/3/2014A restaurant that is too quiet is a turn-off, but this place can be quite loud. My only option is to dine here on an "off" day or a time before the overwhelming noise level gets obnoxious. So that is what I did and I enjoyed the delicious food, great ambiance and wonderful staff without having to raise my voice and lean into the table to hear my dining companion.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic service!JnmzDined on 8/3/2014The server spent so much time explaining each and every menu item, with clarity, patience, and charm! The Duroc pork tenderloin was the most tender pork that I have ever, ever eaten. The charcuterie appetizer was so delicious, it's obvious that the chef and the waitstaff love to work there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch DateFoodFoodFoodDined on 8/3/2014I went for a brunch date with my husband and had a fabulous time. The chocolate chip scones were phenomenal. Everything was delicious. The French press coffee was excellent and a much better purchase/order than tea, which is Twinings. (I love Twinings, but for the price get the coffee and have your Twinings at home.) I tried the watermelon tomato gazpacho which was spicy and flavorful, but I wound up not eating much of it because it just wasn't for me (I expect others will love it). When the bill came, our server told us that he had taken off the gazpacho because he noticed that I didn't finish it (even though I had told him it was tasty), which really impressed us. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was amissDGScustomerDined on 8/2/2014This was my second visit in six months to Ardeo Bardeo. My last visit in March came with an amazing server who was attentive yet not overbearing and knew how to have a conversation with her guests. My server this time was socially awkward and had to run back to the kitchen to see if the kitchen carried certain items as alternative for those with food allergies. However, their brunch is the best in the Cleveland Park neighborhood - $28 for bottomless mimosas, one appetizer, and one entree. They also give you an amazing bread basket with scones and breakfast breads.Special Features:
- Love this placeMiguelVIPDined on 8/1/2014Great menu, not too expensive, tremendous service and a interesting and attractive decor. It's hard to do better than this very consistent Cleveland Park gem.Special Features:
- One of our favorites!CAngelesVIPDined on 8/1/2014The dishes are easy to share, and the wine list includes some lovely reds that are reasonably priced. Fran will help you choose. Try the Brussel sprouts - they are wonderful!Special Features:
- Great experienceBobLVIPDined on 7/28/2014Went there with a Groupon deal which included tomato focused 3 course meals. We went early on a weeknight (6:00) and got a good table and great service. The atmosphere was good, but we sat by the window and didn't see much of the interior. The food was very good: complex and original offerings using tomatoes to embellish the appetizers, entrees and even deserts. It was worth the price, but even better with the Groupon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pub Atmosphere with Good FoodEstragonDined on 7/26/2014I may be dreaming, but I recall that Bardeo was a bar that served simply prepared, good food, while adjacent Ardeo was an upscale restaurant serving" new American cuisine" on tablecloths. If so, everything has changed. There is a bar in Ardeo too now, the chef prepares "new Italian cuisine," both spaces seem to receive the same food service, and there are no tablecloths. The result is a good neighborhood restaurant, with a short decent wine list and drinks that aren't exorbitantly priced, but ambience that rates no better than fair. (My dinner companion asked me why the man at the next table was shouting. I think he thought he was riding the subway.) This time the menu was rife with tomatoes, too much of a good thing in my view.I would recommend this to a friend.
- carrolVIPDined on 7/26/2014My husband and I had the Halibut it was delicious. I think this would be a good place to stop before the movie. We were done in less than an hour 3 course meal. I am not a fast eater. They had lighter choices so would not be stuffed watching the movie. I had the living social coupon choices were limited but the meal was very good. My husband would have liked more choices. We would have preferred a more leisurely dinner.Special Features:
- Great tomato menuJfk66VIPDined on 7/25/2014All three of us had the all tomato menu and enjoyed it. I had the peekytoe crab and tomato salad, which was good but did not have much crab in it. The other two had the watermelon and tomato gazpacho and it was different than I expected, smooth like a true Spanish gazpacho and delicious. We all had the halibut and cleaned our plates. The tomato sorbet was a treat, also. One friend who works in Bali for a high end resort was taking a picture of the menu to show the chef there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Burger NightClevelandparkguruVIPDined on 7/24/2014Came with a group of friends for pizza and burgers. They really have one of the best burgers in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CupcakeWonkVIPDined on 7/21/2014Great food and atmosphere - waitress was a little too attentive (not the worst problem to have). Great girls night!Special Features:
- kshrewsburyDined on 7/20/2014bottomless brunch was great - good price and amazing food - what's more is that unlike so many other hot brunch spots in DC, it didn't feel overcrowded and somehow wasn't loud.Special Features:
- Great brunch menu and service!ypdinersDined on 7/20/2014We had a group of 8 for brunch and our server Matthew was amazing! He kept the champagne flowing for our bottomless mimosas and champagne throughout. We all ordered something different from the brunch menu and it all was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ardeo Dining ExperienceluckyusDined on 7/19/2014Our experience with Ardeo was terrific. We had very severe and complicated food allergies in our party. We notified the restaurant ahead of time and they were completely prepared for us including the chef, maitre'd and our waiter. The chef concocted seasonings which were delicious and which strictly avoided all of the allergies. Everyone was very gracious for which we were very appreciative. Anyone with food allergies (including Gluten Intolerance) can feel secure that this is a safe place to dine. Bottom line: Really good food, very nice personnel in a pleasant environmentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great nightClevelandparkguruVIPDined on 7/19/2014Stared off with an awesome cheese selection. Cocktails and vino were excellent. Dinner was burgers, trout and halibut. All were great with excellent flavors. Service as always was Tops!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Tomato Tasting Menu 7-14OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/19/2014We enjoyed the July 2014 Tomato Tasting menu. Highlights were the tomato + buratta salad, halibut with vegetable ragu, and cheese plate. For $39 per person it was on the expensive side, but worth the money. I would also suggest the wine pairing.Special Features:
- Great brunch had by all!AggieFoodieDined on 7/19/2014My friends and I are going to one restaurant per month for each letter of the alphabet. Since we are on letter "A" we went to Ardeo to try their bottomless brunch. The brunch special comes with bottomless mimosas or champagne, an app and entree. The restaurant was not that crowded for a Saturday so our flutes continued to stay full with mimosas! Our waitress was super friendly and helped me plan getting two desserts to celebrate two friends for a belated birthday and new job! My only two issues were that some of the apps were way bigger than the entrees and my chorizo hash barely had any chorizo in it. Other than that it was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfection!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/18/2014I went on a Friday for an early dinner, and there were only a few diners. We ordered the 3-course seasonal menu which happened to be tomato based. This menu is very limited and offers only two options in each category. However, it worked fine for us. We both ordered the salad appetizer which had an assortment of greens and a tasty dressy. For the entree, I had pasta with a spicy tomato sauce and my husband had the halibut. I loved my pasta (which had no meat that I could detect) and my husband loved his halibut. For dessert, I had the cheese plate and my husband had cake. You can add wine pairings to this menu for a very reasonable price. I have no complaints about this place at all, and I plan to return soon. See you there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Tomato DinnerSKDCVIPDined on 7/16/2014This special prefix dinner was fabulous! The halibut was seared just right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food but a bit priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/15/2014I tried the Tomato Tasting Menu and everything was so delicious. The salad and halibut were outstanding. I am not eating sugar, so I gave the dessert to my husband and he enjoyed it. The restaurant is quite cool, so take a sweater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/15/2014Wonderful restaurant in all aspects… Have invited friends there again this coming Friday.Special Features:
- Great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/12/2014Went out for a birthday dinner for a small group. Ambiance, service and food were great. Brussels sprouts were a great hit!Special Features:
- Great Food Questionable ServicePastaBeaVIPDined on 7/12/2014We dined on a Saturday night and the place was nearly empty. We had reservations for 7:00 and were seated promptly. We were given water and bread and then we waited 15 minutes before the waiter arrived. We selected the Tomato Tasting menu and accompanying wine selections. Both the Gazpacho and Tomato salad were excellent. We finished the appetizers and waited for our waiter. Finally, we got our Halibut entrées and they were deliciously prepared, the fish was perfectly cooked. Another server checked to see if everything was alright but we didn't see our waiter. We both got the Cheese Plate for dessert. The tomato jam was the star. As we finished the dessert, our waiter brought the check. Could have been a 5 star meal with better service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.