Archetype (fka French Blue - St. Helena)
1429 Main Street
Saint Helena, CA 94574Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Archetype (fka French Blue - St. Helena)
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://www.archetypenapa.com/
- Phone: 7079689200x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast M-F 8:30am - 11am
Lunch: M-F 11:30am - 2:30pm
Brunch: Sat-Su 9:00am-2:30pm
Dinner: M-Su 5:30pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Ryder Zetts
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Archetype (fka French Blue - St. Helena)
Archetype offers an iconic Americana menu that takes a contemporary out-of-the-box approach to classic dishes from our heritage. Nearly every preparation from our kitchen bares the signature char from our wood-burning grill or is complimented by an infusion of smoke from our wood-burning oven. Dishes feature local, seasonal ingredients, perfect for pairing with a thoughtful selection of regional wines and handcrafted cocktails from our list. The dining room - designed by Archetype founder and renowned architect, Howard Backen, and named as one of the “10 Most Beautifully Designed” by Architectural Digest - reflects distinctive wine country style with a relaxed, comfortable sophistication.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Archetype (fka French Blue - St. Helena) - Best Restaurants in St. Helena ›
Archetype (fka French Blue - St. Helena) reviews from OpenTable diners
197 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (123)great for brunch (105)neighborhood gem (95)great for lunch (95)great for outdoor dining (68)special occasion (67)romantic (59)good for groups (50)notable wine list (23)hot spot (23)kid-friendly (17)vibrant bar scene (11)scenic view (5)late-night find (4)Show More
- LPOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/26/2014Great restaurant. Perhaps the best north of Yountvill in the Vally.Special Features:
- Excellent midweek LunchrobinVIPDined on 8/26/2014First time at Archetype. The food is very tasty! Our Server was knowledgeable of all ingredients (fresh, organic, local, fresh caught, etc.), how food was prepared, and delivered topnotch service. The restaurant manager - Kelly was attentive as well and stopped by to ensure we were enjoying our experience. The restaurant is lovely and has a huge table in the middle of the room where I could envision large parties. The patio is lovely and could also be used for special events.Special Features:
- Bad customer serviceOpenTableDinerDined on 8/24/2014I can't really rate the restaurant experience because after making a reservation, we arrived at Archetype to find it closed. Yes, there was an earthquake in Napa Valley the day before. But most other restaurants in St Helena were open, since that part of Napa Valley was not nearly so much affected as Napa itself. I do think the least the restaurant could have done was to put a notice on their answering machine or website, or call or email people who had reservations to notify them. There was no way I could get through to them to find out if they were open. Fortunately we could get in to Tra Vigne up the road, where we had a delicious meal with excellent service -- so I'd like to give Tra Vigne a big thumbs up!
- Beautiful, relaxing placeCharVIPDined on 8/23/2014with excellent, beautifully presented and delicious food. Creative chef. Comfortable chairs and setting. Waiter was a little snotty. I had told him we had limited time -- going to a concert, but he ignored us and was snippy when I said we needed to see the dessert menu and wanted to order it right away. Rest of wait staff excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BlissfullBeachtimeVIPDined on 8/23/2014First time since ownership change and it was just as wonderful. Can't wait to revisitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful DinnermiketraceDined on 8/22/2014Incredible staff and food --- in no particular orderSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stellar restaurant!IWFoodieVIPDined on 8/19/2014Ate here for the first time and everything was great, so good that we made a reservation to return in a week. We have been on a 2 month trip eating up & down West Coast and this was one of the best meals we have had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pretty but stick to the basicsStaceyVIPDined on 8/19/2014Archetype has one of the prettiest dining rooms in Napa Valley. But on my last visit, the food did not live up to the decor. The peach and burata salad started out strong. It was beautiful and tasty. Padron peppers were fine, though the accompanying sauce did not add much in terms of favor. The fried green tomatoes were very disappointing. They were served with a gooey pepper sauce that made the tomatoes soggy and added far more acid than the dish needed. The open faced BLT was good and had a lovely presentation. The uninspired tuna salad looked like chunks of canned tuna over some greens. Overall, I'd recommend sticking to the simple dishes, like BLTs and seasonal fruit salads. I am told the brunch is very good. Will give it a try.Special Features:
- Wonderful!Foodie614Dined on 8/18/2014This is our first time returning to this restaurant since the name changed to Archetype. Still the same fabulous decor, wonderful food, exceptional service. We will keep coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/18/2014My husband loves wild game and thought the duck breast was wonderful. Heirloom tomato with parmasean cream was amazing as well as the flat iron steak. Service was superb and the ambience was most enjoyable. Anxious to return!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/17/2014desserts were disappointing; otherwise very good. that's really all i have to say. cheddar chive biscuits were great.Special Features:
- PickyeaterDined on 8/17/2014Food was fabulous…a must-try! Locally sourced food, amazing combinations, excellent.Special Features:
- DesperadoVIPDined on 8/16/2014The food, service and ambience were all good but the wait between the courses was unacceptable. I would have to give it another try before recommending it to a friend.
- Great Place!happycamperDined on 8/14/2014This was my fav restaurant that I visited when I was recently in St. Helena on business. The food was amazing and the staff were great. I am making it a point to go again!Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/14/2014I really enjoyed the atmosphere, the service and the meal. The menu is just right with plenty of appetizers to choose from. I love the blue and white decor and the great servers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third visit and never disappoints!cinsolVIPDined on 8/12/2014One of my favorite finds anywhere in wine country. The food is wonderful with unique combinations, excellent presentation and fantastic taste. From the service staff to the owner/GM who somehow always finds the time to check in on you (I really don't know how she pulls it off!) you feel well cared for and welcomed. I can't recommend highly enough and can't wait to visit again soon!Special Features:
- Beautiful with superb foodCharVIPDined on 8/5/2014Everything was wonderful at this absolutely lovely, comfortable place. Appetizers delicious -- entrees wonderful. Desserts varied -- one delicious (peach cobbler type), the other good but not great (ice cream sandwiches). Need more dessert choices.Special Features:
- Skip the rock starsDinerDined on 8/4/2014Of all the restaurants we visited in the area, this was our favorite. The menu met everyone's needs (meat eater, vegetarian, large and small appetites) and the service was attentive, but not formal. We really enjoyed our evening hereSpecial Features:
- New is GoodINFoodDined on 8/3/2014The name may have changed, but the food is fantastic, service outstanding and the dining spaces perfect. During our recent trip we had a wonderful dinner and memorable brunch. On both occasions, several of the items were described by my family as, "the best I've ever tasted," especially the sliders appetizer from the bar menu, the halibut and the flautas at brunch. We loved French Blue, but Archetype has moved things up several notches.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wish you were in the Hamptons...QueenVVIPDined on 8/3/2014Dine here. It has a wonderful relaxed and chic vibe. VERY NapaSpecial Features:
- DELICIOUSPepper1VIPDined on 8/2/2014Exceptional. Everything. Food, environment, staff, drinks, wine list, SOME OF THE BEST FOOD I HAVE HAD IN ST. HELENA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delight for the tastebudsHariDined on 8/2/2014Food was amazing. The Waffle was light and fluffy. The eggs perfect. Great brunch !Special Features:
- Underwhelmingfood4pearlVIPDined on 7/31/2014Hot summer evening, ready to relax and enjoy a lovely dinner in St. Helena, we chose Archetype for its inviting atmosphere. Host was friendly and seated us 10 minutes early for our 7pm reservation. Sevice went downhill from there. Ten minutes later we received our water, then the waitperson arrived took our drinks (2 gin and tonics) and appetizer (salmon stogies-good!). The appetizer arrived first, but it took another ten minutes for them to "put the finishing touches" on our drinks (what, a lime?). When we asked what the house specialties were, the server said, "Gosh, I don't know, everything's good. Maybe the halibut?" How's the lamb? "I don't know -- I don't eat meat." The food was average and expensive. We won't rush back.Special Features:
- Great Place!IwillbbackDined on 7/30/2014Lovely restaurant! The food was amazing! I ordered the calamari app. - GREAT! The Naan - wonderful and entree was the salmon - spot on! Perfectly wonderful dinner! Our waiter was attentive and knowledgeable - perfect! Thank You and I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful dining experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/28/2014From the moment, we walked into the light, airy, beautifully-appointed dining room, we knew we were in for a delightful dining experience. We were warmly greeted as we were seated, and the service remained impeccable throughout lunch. The menu was very innovative and appealing, and we enjoyed everything we ordered. We definitely would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/28/2014Beautiful restaurant. Friendly and prompt service. The food was delicious. Highly recommend to anyone!Special Features:
- Don't waste your time, bad service!BruzuVIPDined on 7/26/2014We came for a lunch on a Saturday and had to sit outside ( no free tables inside). It was extremely hot. We had to wait approximately 45 min until they had served our table. The food was ok, but not many options to choose. There was a couple trying to pay their bill, they waited so much for somebody to take it, that they went inside to pay it. I guess it was to hot for them to serve the tables outside.
- very very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/22/2014We went in for lunch and had a terrific meal and great service...could not ask for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Clean cut chicMwardVIPDined on 7/20/2014Amazing food and service right in the heart of shopping in st HelenaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SFSGAL1Dined on 7/20/2014We enjoyed Sunday brunch at Archetype and every one of us ordered something delicious - we were all very happy! We can't wait to go again, and we even talked about planning a future party there while we were dining!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuzGrothVIPDined on 7/16/2014Great spot in St. Helena. Kelly, and the rest of the gang always makes it specialSpecial Features:
- Archetype A Home RunMobileForagerDined on 7/15/2014Now under new management Archetype has become a favorite spot for locals and visitors alike. The food is terrific with the right blend of basic fare and more exotic choices and lots of local, seasonal product. The hand-crafted specialty cocktails are hard to resist. Good wines by the glass and attentive service seal the deal, not to mention the airy, welcoming design of the interior and exterior space. Make a reservation, it crowds up on weekends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovative FantasticLindaDined on 7/12/2014Incredible food! I hadn't been to Archetype (or French Blue) butI chose the restaurant to share a meal with cousins visiting from the east coast. We visited on a Saturday and I was disappointed to find that only a brunch menu was offered. I got over that fast when I saw what was on the menu: from egg dishes or pancakes to peanut crusted prawns or trout. I had trout like I've never had it before, paired with a fabulous crisp white wine and great company. A very memorable day and meal was had by all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So much better!dine2wineDined on 7/10/2014The new Archetype is awesome! Love the menu, the food is much improved over the previous French Blue, while keeping the brilliant layout and ambiance of the building's design. Their small plates are simple yet delicious (Tater tots are amazing!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing meal!KkwoodDined on 7/7/2014One if the best meals I have ever had and I have been to great and notable restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/7/2014Lunch at Archetype was truly spectacular. Wonderful food, service, ambiance. I'd recommend it to anyone. (There was considerable traffic noise in the outer area, but if that had bothered us, we could have chosen the interior.) We had dinner the previous evening at Bottega. There is no comparison - these two places are in entirely different leagues in every respect.Special Features:
- Good food in a nice ambienceBlondiejDined on 7/6/2014Great food, fast & friendly service. Wonderful ambience.Special Features:
- Nice airy restaurantjazzmanDined on 7/5/2014The two of us had mixed feelings about this restaurant, we like the atmosphere a lot, service was good but not outstanding. We both ordered the soup of the day which was a cold cucumber soup. It was just so so. The entries, were much better, we both had fish, halibut and salmon, each with an interesting combination of sides.Special Features:
- Excellent experiencenyrothDined on 7/4/2014Wonderful meal & ambiance. Terrific staff, friendly with a great knowledge of the ingredients. Soup, salad, grilled fish entrees were impecible. Salmon & halibut dishes are not to be missed. The desserts need a little tweaking. The lemon meringue & strawberry turnover were just OK. The waitress told us later that their ice creams are their forte. Will be returning for another delicious meal in 2 weeks!Special Features:
- STUNNINGPepper1VIPDined on 7/4/2014One of the best meals I have ever had. From the hostess who was accommodating to my table request, to the quick food service, to the perfect sliders, wine selections.... amazing.