Archetype (fka French Blue - St. Helena)
1429 Main Street
Saint Helena, CA 94574Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Archetype (fka French Blue - St. Helena)
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://www.archetypenapa.com/
- Phone: (707) 968-9200
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast M-F 8:30am - 11am
Lunch: M-F 11:30am - 2:30pm
Brunch: Sat-Su 9:00am-2:30pm
Dinner: M-Su 5:30pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Ryder Zetts
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Archetype (fka French Blue - St. Helena)
Archetype offers an iconic Americana menu that takes a contemporary out-of-the-box approach to classic dishes from our heritage. Nearly every preparation from our kitchen bares the signature char from our wood-burning grill or is complimented by an infusion of smoke from our wood-burning oven. Dishes feature local, seasonal ingredients, perfect for pairing with a thoughtful selection of regional wines and handcrafted cocktails from our list. The dining room - designed by Archetype founder and renowned architect, Howard Backen, and named as one of the “10 Most Beautifully Designed” by Architectural Digest - reflects distinctive wine country style with a relaxed, comfortable sophistication.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Archetype (fka French Blue - St. Helena) - Best Restaurants in St. Helena ›
Archetype (fka French Blue - St. Helena) reviews from OpenTable diners
212 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (160)neighborhood gem (107)great for brunch (98)great for lunch (89)good for groups (77)special occasion (75)romantic (60)great for outdoor dining (57)notable wine list (50)hot spot (34)vibrant bar scene (15)kid-friendly (9)scenic view (6)late-night find (2)Show More
- RobertDined on 11/22/2014My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our dining experience at Archetype. We arrived 45 minutes earlier than anticipated with the intention of sitting at the bar. Although the restaurant was packed, we were surprised to be seated within 15 minutes of our arrival. When we asked the waiter about several of the menu items, his descriptions were more like a chef explaining his process than a waiter describing the item. Each course from appetizers to desert was absolutely delectable and left us wanting to come back soon. In fact, our waiter arranged reservations for us when we return to St. Helena in two weeks. Every aspect of this restaurant from the wonderful ambiance through the outstanding meal were made even more enjoyable by the service we received.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome experienceFigueDined on 11/22/2014Had a chance to try out this rest in st Helena this past weekend. Wow, I'm glad we went there. Really enjoyed the food with some very interesting choices. Service was also very good with some great suggestions from our server regarding both good choices and drinks. Regarding the drinks, they have some very cool cocktails. finally, the place itself is beautiful, wide open with full view of kitchen.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unpredictable ServiceJustDined on 11/22/2014I was part of an 11:00 AM brunch party of 5 at this same venue on Sunday, November 16th, and service was excellent. My party of 3 on November 23rd @ 1:00 PM was seated at the same table as before. Other than drinks, we did not get served until 2:00 PM. It appeared that they were short staffed--either in the kitchen and/or wait staff. I believe the waiter was the same as November 16th, but I'm not positive. Although it gave us more time to visit with one another, this level of service would have to be rated unacceptable. I would think twice about going there again.
- Gorgeous setting, fabulous foolMPufDined on 11/21/2014My group of 8 dined at Archetype on November 21, 2014. We ordered a variety of dishes and everything we tried was outstanding. The chicken dish and the ribs were two of the best offerings at the table. The restaurant is beautiful, loved the ambiance. Would highly recommend Archetype!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crisp and Clean Food!jrsandiegoVIPDined on 11/21/2014What a nice surprise! Recommended by a few friends we stopped by for a late lunch and found the food and service to be amazing. Big open space, clean and crisp decor complement amazing food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food, great serviceDebjonDined on 11/21/2014Our work had a group lunch for 11 people. The service and food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Experience does not match the price!DesperadoVIPDined on 11/15/2014I have now tried this restaurant three times and each time I struggle to find one thing I really want to order. To me a great restaurant has two or three items that make it difficult to decide. I think the kitchen is trying to be different but are missing the mark on quality. The prices are way to high for the quality of the items in my opinion. I don't think this restaurant will be successful in the winter when the locals get tired of what is going on. Of course, you can get by with this during the tourist season. To bad because the restaurant has a nice ambiance to it.
- Casual elegance in St HelenaBarrysanDined on 11/12/2014A stunning room and great, attentive service combined with some very interesting menu options made this a lovely spot for a casual family lunch yesterday. The sliders were a generous portion and my open faced Reuben was made with incredibly tasty pastrami and cheese. I heartily recommend this to almost everyone of my guests and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notch hamburgers on Monday!ToniVIPDined on 11/10/2014Two of the three of us went for the burgers and were not disappointed at all. Great fries, too.Special Features:
- It just keeps getting better!NapaloverDined on 11/9/2014I am addicted to brunch ... Lunch ... Happy Hour... Dinner it's doesn't matter Just GO NOWSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious DinnerJaneEmmDined on 11/8/2014We had a simply marvelous experience at a recent dinner. So many things sounded good to us that we ordered and shared many dishes. I had put a note in my reservation that we did not want shellfish or pork, and more than one person mentioned it--from the host to our server. Our only disappointment was that we were too full for dessert. Highlights: heirloom tomato bisque, blini with burrata, and ahi tuna. Wine choices by the glass did not impress. But the restaurant is gorgeous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice spot for brunch or lunchMargaretDined on 11/8/2014Good food, nice decor, service is not rushed. My friend was late meeting us for my birthday brunch and the waitstaff was not at all put out. They were gracious and did not make us feel that we were causing a problem at all. So refreshing and kind!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Wine Country DinnerHappyDinerVIPDined on 11/1/2014Had dinner with my wife at Archetype on Saturday -- our first visit to this restaurant. Really enjoyable time....excellent food and friendly, professional service. We will definitely go back again.Special Features:
- Not just another upscale restaurantfrekdnrVIPDined on 11/1/2014Would recommend customers sit in the alcove through which one enters to the main restaurant. Much quieter.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday lunch!NapaJraDined on 11/1/2014My husband and I took his mother and father to lunch/brunch on Saturday for her 60th birthday. The service was amazing, they sent out some of their donuts for her to start and everything we ordered was fantastic. Everyone was attentative, helpful and very courteous, I can not say enough about the service. Recommend for any holiday, special occasion, or just a great lunch while driving thru St Helena.Special Features:
- Not French BlueThomasVIPDined on 11/1/2014We really miss French Blue as a breakfast and brunch hangout. The house made chorizo was good as was the very flat chicken. But the food while it was French Blue was a whole lot better. We will return to Archetype as the comparisons wear thin. Good service, nice staff.Special Features:
- ReverendVIPDined on 10/27/2014Perfect. Playful food and great service. Glad to have these folks for neighbors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As great as the first time!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/26/2014The only negative was the choice of music when we sat for early dinner. The place is stunning. Some great music should match it. Too upbeat for serene and elegant setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Archetype not to be missedNapaloverDined on 10/26/2014Wow. The Ambiance, the food, the service, the whole deal here is top notch. The service was polite, professional. the management who actively engages the table. What a memorable experience we will make this a must stop anytime we are in Wine Country.Special Features:
- Wish Archetype was in my home town!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/26/2014Wow what a great Restaurant (third time here for breakfast), great food, Great service and great ambiance. Many restaurants don't get that customers should be apperciated for their business, these guys get that and everyone is friendly and competent especially our waitress. The breakfast here is better then any dinner I have had in my home town of Aspen. I can't wait to come back for Dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/25/2014Everything was wonderful. The service was A+. The food was A+. The staff was A+.
- AnonymousDined on 10/25/2014Food was good, service not so good. We arrived a few minutes early and were directed to sit at the bar while we waited. There were no seats available at the bar, just a table that hadn't been bussed, but we took it anyway since the restaurant was beginning to fill up ... it took a while before someone noticed the table needed to be cleaned. When we were seated for our meal, we requested a table in the front section of the restaurant where it was brighter, only to find the tabletops were sticky and had some food debris left from the previous guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only one word, Fantastic.joewDined on 10/19/2014The location, the food, the staff made it a great night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Bruch SpotrpjinvaDined on 10/19/2014My girlfriend and I dinned at Archetype for brunch after a day of wine testing the day before. The ambiance was great and food was even better. Would highly recommend this for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous breakfast/brunchKatarinaVIPDined on 10/19/2014Archetype is a class act. Comfortable, airy, totally pleasant atmosphere and professional wait staff. Best cinnamon rolls, hash, and corn/fontina cheese omelet. The trout is excellent as well. Great Bloody Marys and fresh squeezed juices. We go here every time we are in the valley ... wouldn't miss it!Special Features:
- Beautiful roomCCDINERVIPDined on 10/17/20142 for lunch, on a Friday...restaurant quiet. Auberge cocktail was great, tuna salad, with poached tuna- would have been better grilled. Pork sandwich good, date cake for dessert lovely...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot in St HelenaTravellerDined on 10/16/2014Inventive bartender, good food & service. Great spot in the valleySpecial Features:
- We had a fantastic meal.SolanaBeachDined on 10/12/2014Our meal was amazing...a great place for breakfast/lunch/brunch. The atmosphere was very nice and the service was wonderful. We look forward to coming back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sherrysherryDined on 10/12/2014Delightful restaurant, excellent food, and very good service. Charming place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family Breakfast of 24Looking4TasteDined on 10/11/2014Got Lucky with this spot, night before need to find breakfast for our group including children. The food was amazing and we are foodies! They accommodated the kids and babies with easy, service was fast and professional. Friends and family were texting me later ,thanking me for finding such an amazing place to enjoy breakfast together. Highly recommend and we will be back our next visit to the Valley.Special Features:
- MikeMIKEWVIPDined on 10/10/2014Archetype was fantastic and creative with their food and ambiance, but drops the ball on the wine list. They're in the heart of the best wine region in the world and list is light on number of choices especially Napa Valley wines. Would have given 5 stars if the wine list had been as creative and imaginative as the food and styling of the restaurant itself.Special Features:
- Beautiful and ElegantNapaHipstressVIPDined on 10/9/2014Fresh and creative, focused menu, great sourcing, artful, elegant plating, interesting market-fresh cocktails, down-to-earth, friendly service in a nice, clean, airy, and elegant atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best brunch anywhere - hands down!MW17588VIPDined on 10/5/2014Archetype hit the spot when I needed a leisurely Sunday morning brunch with my husband to reconnect after several weeks of travel. We sat outside in the "porch" area on a beautiful morning. We ordered a small stack of the Lemon-Ricotta Pancakes with Blueberry Sauce to split. Then he had the Chorizo Flautas and I had the Ham, Padron and Manchego Omelet. All of it was OUTSTANDING. We eat out several times a week, all over the country, and Archetype is, hands down, my new favorite restaurant. I can't wait to return - for brunch, lunch or dinner!Special Features:
- Fantastic!kellyh925VIPDined on 10/4/2014My third meal at the "new" Archetype. Fresh, and innovative menu; comfortable and classy ambiance; attentive service without being "in the way" and an overall fantastic experience. Housemade 'tater tots" should not be missed. Flatiron steak with corn & hominy, chili-lime butter, onions & padron peppers - like a deconstructed fajita, but *so* much more delicious. Gnocci with chanterels - sell your clothes, you're moving to heaven. And the wine list . . . had the Eleven-eleven Pinot on Saturday night based on the Wine Director's recommendation - holy moly. I'll keep coming back with foodies, and neophytes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findNhmanDined on 10/4/2014Food was out of the box creative. Great atmosphere with even better service.Special Features:
- Wow2foodiesDined on 10/4/2014Truly remarkable. We ate a late saturday brunch at Archetype and each dish was surprisingly better than the last. The cheddar biscuits and sage sausage gravy was a unique experience. The decor was clean and sophisticated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Gem!TahoeGalDined on 10/1/2014Friends and I visited St. Helena this past week and discovered Archetype for a delightful lunch. The restaurant is so welcoming, from the decor to the staff. Then, there is the food.... OMG! We shared everything to make the most of the experience. Highlights for us were the Grilled Padrons, Fried Green Tomatoes, Petrale Sole Fish & Chips, Liberty Farm Duck Steamed Bun and the Open Faced B.L.T. We could have sat all afternoon just taking in the ambiance but alas we had to move on. So we went for breakfast the next morning! We enjoyed two breakfast pizzas - yes, pizza for breakfast - delectable! And the manager delivered a complimentary bowl of sugared donut holes - yum! Five stars all around for this exceptional dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentRyan76Dined on 9/30/2014Went here based on reviews and was actually blown away by the quality of food, the ambiance, the service! Started the dinner off with oysters that were beyond amazing, paired with roederer estate brut. My GF ordered the duck and I ordered the boneless ribs.absolutely amazing. Paired with Shafer Merlot, it was absolute treat. We ordered dessert, chcool are blah blah that paired excellent with 20 yr old Tawny port. I would recommend this restaurant whole heartedly! I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- enjoyable eveningJAMESDined on 9/27/2014Had a great experience at Archetype. The decor and vibe of the place was great. Casual but chic. Food was excellent. We had a large party with two families, including kids, and they were very accommodating. only dish that fell short was the rapini (broccoli rabe) we would definitely go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best gnocchi I ever hadlocaldinerDined on 9/26/2014We have loving this new restaurant in St Helena. The gnocchi dish that I had and the chicken dish y wife chose were the best we have ever had.Special Features: