Archetype (fka French Blue - St. Helena)
1429 Main Street
Saint Helena, CA 94574Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Archetype (fka French Blue - St. Helena)
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://www.archetypenapa.com/
- Phone: 7079689200x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast M-F 8:30am - 11am
Lunch: M-F 11:30am - 2:30pm
Brunch: Sat-Su 9:00am-2:30pm
Dinner: M-Su 5:30pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Ryder Zetts
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Archetype (fka French Blue - St. Helena)
Archetype offers an iconic Americana menu that takes a contemporary out-of-the-box approach to classic dishes from our heritage. Nearly every preparation from our kitchen bares the signature char from our wood-burning grill or is complimented by an infusion of smoke from our wood-burning oven. Dishes feature local, seasonal ingredients, perfect for pairing with a thoughtful selection of regional wines and handcrafted cocktails from our list. The dining room - designed by Archetype founder and renowned architect, Howard Backen, and named as one of the “10 Most Beautifully Designed” by Architectural Digest - reflects distinctive wine country style with a relaxed, comfortable sophistication.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Archetype (fka French Blue - St. Helena) - Best Restaurants in St. Helena ›
Archetype (fka French Blue - St. Helena) reviews from OpenTable diners
199 reviews since July 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (151)neighborhood gem (105)great for brunch (96)great for lunch (91)special occasion (76)good for groups (75)romantic (65)great for outdoor dining (64)notable wine list (44)hot spot (28)kid-friendly (13)vibrant bar scene (13)scenic view (6)late-night find (3)Show More
- ReverendVIPDined on 10/27/2014Perfect. Playful food and great service. Glad to have these folks for neighbors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As great as the first time!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/26/2014The only negative was the choice of music when we sat for early dinner. The place is stunning. Some great music should match it. Too upbeat for serene and elegant setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Archetype not to be missedNapaloverDined on 10/26/2014Wow. The Ambiance, the food, the service, the whole deal here is top notch. The service was polite, professional. the management who actively engages the table. What a memorable experience we will make this a must stop anytime we are in Wine Country.Special Features:
- Wish Archetype was in my home town!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/26/2014Wow what a great Restaurant (third time here for breakfast), great food, Great service and great ambiance. Many restaurants don't get that customers should be apperciated for their business, these guys get that and everyone is friendly and competent especially our waitress. The breakfast here is better then any dinner I have had in my home town of Aspen. I can't wait to come back for Dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/25/2014Everything was wonderful. The service was A+. The food was A+. The staff was A+.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/25/2014Food was good, service not so good. We arrived a few minutes early and were directed to sit at the bar while we waited. There were no seats available at the bar, just a table that hadn't been bussed, but we took it anyway since the restaurant was beginning to fill up ... it took a while before someone noticed the table needed to be cleaned. When we were seated for our meal, we requested a table in the front section of the restaurant where it was brighter, only to find the tabletops were sticky and had some food debris left from the previous guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only one word, Fantastic.joewDined on 10/19/2014The location, the food, the staff made it a great night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Bruch SpotrpjinvaDined on 10/19/2014My girlfriend and I dinned at Archetype for brunch after a day of wine testing the day before. The ambiance was great and food was even better. Would highly recommend this for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous breakfast/brunchKatarinaVIPDined on 10/19/2014Archetype is a class act. Comfortable, airy, totally pleasant atmosphere and professional wait staff. Best cinnamon rolls, hash, and corn/fontina cheese omelet. The trout is excellent as well. Great Bloody Marys and fresh squeezed juices. We go here every time we are in the valley ... wouldn't miss it!Special Features:
- Rude ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 1999VIPDined on 10/18/2014Our server was borderline hostile towards my table of 5 women. He needs to keep in mind that he is catering to tourists that have spent the day doing what you are supposed to do in wine country...wine tasting. We were having fun, yes, a bit tipsy but he was downright mean. It really ruined our whole experience. I should have listened to all the locals that did NOT recommend this restaurant. I don't either.
- Beautiful roomCCDINERVIPDined on 10/17/20142 for lunch, on a Friday...restaurant quiet. Auberge cocktail was great, tuna salad, with poached tuna- would have been better grilled. Pork sandwich good, date cake for dessert lovely...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot in St HelenaTravellerDined on 10/16/2014Inventive bartender, good food & service. Great spot in the valleySpecial Features:
- We had a fantastic meal.SolanaBeachDined on 10/12/2014Our meal was amazing...a great place for breakfast/lunch/brunch. The atmosphere was very nice and the service was wonderful. We look forward to coming back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sherrysherryDined on 10/12/2014Delightful restaurant, excellent food, and very good service. Charming place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family Breakfast of 24Looking4TasteDined on 10/11/2014Got Lucky with this spot, night before need to find breakfast for our group including children. The food was amazing and we are foodies! They accommodated the kids and babies with easy, service was fast and professional. Friends and family were texting me later ,thanking me for finding such an amazing place to enjoy breakfast together. Highly recommend and we will be back our next visit to the Valley.Special Features:
- MikeMIKEWVIPDined on 10/10/2014Archetype was fantastic and creative with their food and ambiance, but drops the ball on the wine list. They're in the heart of the best wine region in the world and list is light on number of choices especially Napa Valley wines. Would have given 5 stars if the wine list had been as creative and imaginative as the food and styling of the restaurant itself.Special Features:
- Beautiful and ElegantNapaHipstressVIPDined on 10/9/2014Fresh and creative, focused menu, great sourcing, artful, elegant plating, interesting market-fresh cocktails, down-to-earth, friendly service in a nice, clean, airy, and elegant atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best brunch anywhere - hands down!MW17588VIPDined on 10/5/2014Archetype hit the spot when I needed a leisurely Sunday morning brunch with my husband to reconnect after several weeks of travel. We sat outside in the "porch" area on a beautiful morning. We ordered a small stack of the Lemon-Ricotta Pancakes with Blueberry Sauce to split. Then he had the Chorizo Flautas and I had the Ham, Padron and Manchego Omelet. All of it was OUTSTANDING. We eat out several times a week, all over the country, and Archetype is, hands down, my new favorite restaurant. I can't wait to return - for brunch, lunch or dinner!Special Features:
- Fantastic!kellyh925Dined on 10/4/2014My third meal at the "new" Archetype. Fresh, and innovative menu; comfortable and classy ambiance; attentive service without being "in the way" and an overall fantastic experience. Housemade 'tater tots" should not be missed. Flatiron steak with corn & hominy, chili-lime butter, onions & padron peppers - like a deconstructed fajita, but *so* much more delicious. Gnocci with chanterels - sell your clothes, you're moving to heaven. And the wine list . . . had the Eleven-eleven Pinot on Saturday night based on the Wine Director's recommendation - holy moly. I'll keep coming back with foodies, and neophytes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findNhmanDined on 10/4/2014Food was out of the box creative. Great atmosphere with even better service.Special Features:
- Wow2foodiesDined on 10/4/2014Truly remarkable. We ate a late saturday brunch at Archetype and each dish was surprisingly better than the last. The cheddar biscuits and sage sausage gravy was a unique experience. The decor was clean and sophisticated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Gem!TahoeGalDined on 10/1/2014Friends and I visited St. Helena this past week and discovered Archetype for a delightful lunch. The restaurant is so welcoming, from the decor to the staff. Then, there is the food.... OMG! We shared everything to make the most of the experience. Highlights for us were the Grilled Padrons, Fried Green Tomatoes, Petrale Sole Fish & Chips, Liberty Farm Duck Steamed Bun and the Open Faced B.L.T. We could have sat all afternoon just taking in the ambiance but alas we had to move on. So we went for breakfast the next morning! We enjoyed two breakfast pizzas - yes, pizza for breakfast - delectable! And the manager delivered a complimentary bowl of sugared donut holes - yum! Five stars all around for this exceptional dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentRyan76Dined on 9/30/2014Went here based on reviews and was actually blown away by the quality of food, the ambiance, the service! Started the dinner off with oysters that were beyond amazing, paired with roederer estate brut. My GF ordered the duck and I ordered the boneless ribs.absolutely amazing. Paired with Shafer Merlot, it was absolute treat. We ordered dessert, chcool are blah blah that paired excellent with 20 yr old Tawny port. I would recommend this restaurant whole heartedly! I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- enjoyable eveningJAMESDined on 9/27/2014Had a great experience at Archetype. The decor and vibe of the place was great. Casual but chic. Food was excellent. We had a large party with two families, including kids, and they were very accommodating. only dish that fell short was the rapini (broccoli rabe) we would definitely go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best gnocchi I ever hadlocaldinerDined on 9/26/2014We have loving this new restaurant in St Helena. The gnocchi dish that I had and the chicken dish y wife chose were the best we have ever had.Special Features:
- BigRayDined on 9/26/2014This is one of the best restaurants in the Napa Valley. Ambiance is superb, especially for small groups. Food was a little salty for my taste and the service slightly too attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lunch at Archetype in St HelenaliketoshareamealDined on 9/26/2014Very much enjoyed my lunch. The staff is very friendly and attentive without being intrusive or oppressive. Food was quite tasty. Even though the seatings are close together, we were at ease having a personal conversation, but then discovered that our neighbors had been able to listen in. This not being my first visit I noticed that the menu had continuously improved.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- paulaVIPDined on 9/25/2014We love this restaurant but we were disappointed with our entree. We were told the two large shrimp/prawns were beyond fabulous. They were still in their shells and VERY difficult to shell. It was a messy dinner with little to show for our efforts.Special Features:
- Unpretentious In St. HelenaLuv2goLAVIPDined on 9/21/2014Wonderful fresh food with great presentations and no pretensions. The menu has a nice variety of selections with flavorful accompaniments. The halibut with a bacon crumb crust was prepared perfectly. The fish was moist and flakey. Our group of 8 was accommodated very comfortably and efficiently. The seating for larger groups is very comfortable.Special Features:
- Great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Service was amazing and the food was out of this world!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/17/2014I liked the food when the restaurent was French blue. The dishes now are too prissy. We won't be back.Special Features:
- Wine Country WinnerDragonDined on 9/16/2014This is the place to sit back on a comfy sofa and enjoy the best of the Wine Country. Great food, wonderful wine and an utterly delightful atmosphere. Archetype is always on our list of stops when we are in Napa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- better and better every visitAratasVIPDined on 9/15/2014Recently taken under the management umbrella of Auberge Resorts, Archetype epitomizes wine country cuisine with exceptional fare and polished service. The space is stunning white on white palette in a casual space designed by Howard Backen, softly lit, and exceptionally comfortable (take a loveseat) for an relaxing evening with friends. A new locals favorite, the outdoor patio is heated with a fireplace and Fido is welcome. Start with the padrons and fried green tomatoes then take your pick from anything pulled from the wood burning oven. All outstanding.Special Features:
- change of the spotsfranclyDined on 9/15/2014We had a very nice time for dinner at Archtype, the make-over from French Blue is physically less dramatic then the changes to the cuisine. Food items were very well done and precise - a couple of appetizers lacked a little pow - but the entrees were superb. We are glad for the recent changes and plan to dine there more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/15/2014Great, fresh food menu with a wonderful selection of lunch options!Special Features:
- Visit to Archetypebob1VIPDined on 9/15/2014Their peanut crusted shrimp was a dish we had never tried before - it was fantastic. But the hit of the table were their BLTs - absolutely phenomenal!Special Features:
- Still thinking about it!LuvGrdntotbleDined on 9/13/2014I had dinner with five girlfriends Saturday night at Archetype and we all had a wonderful time. This Howard Backen gem exceeded our expectations on all levels (and that is hard to do). The ambiance, food and service were fantastic! It was the perfect setting for a party of six. We could have stayed all night and everyone is still talking about it. We ordered a large variety of food and everything was memorable. We can't wait to go back again and again!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/13/2014I was disappointed that there were not more gluten free items on the main menu and the dessert menu. I have required a gluten free diet for 40 years and have been very pleased in recent years that most restaurants offer many gluten free choices or adaptations.Special Features:
- Amazing transformationKirklandboyVIPDined on 9/11/2014Archetype is a vast improvement over French Blue which was in itself a pleasant bistro. Our waiter was attentive and engaging. His wine recommendations were spot on. The Pope Valley peach salad was amazing. The mains were terrific. We will be back and frequently.Special Features:
- OutstandingRhodionDined on 9/8/2014Sometimes it all comes together. The space was large and open, furnished"Restoration Hardware" style. Maybe that does not sound too appealing but the chairs were comfortable and the colors and designs were muted and geometrical and relaxing. Our server was very helpful and friendly. Finally the food was superb. Obvious attention to detail in every dish with carefully chosen ingredients and mix of flavors. We were loving every minute.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.