160 W. Adams Street
Chicago, IL 60603Neighborhood:
Downtown / Loop
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ara-on.com/
- Phone: (312) 781-7300
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm (last seating 9:00 pm)
Saturday Dinner 5:00 - 10:00pm (last seating 9:00 pm)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Contemporary Asian, Japanese
- Executive Chef: James Okuno
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: We are known for our sushi and for our ability to meet your requirements.
- Special Events: We have a large private event space (250 people capacity). Please ask for Kendra.
A word from AraOn
Sushi and Modern Asian Cuisine: large lounge and sushi bar; comfortable, elegant dining room with modern art and tables crafted from 300 year old treesContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
AraOn reviews from OpenTable diners
57 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (30)fit for foodies (22)good for groups (19)neighborhood gem (12)special occasion (10)romantic (6)hot spot (3)great for brunch (3)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Poor Waitering nothing French about this place!HridoydoctorVIPDined on 11/17/2014They claim to be a French-Asian restaurant. It is actually a glorified Sushi place. The food was good but the main complaint I have is that I felt rushed after every meal although the restaurant was virtually empty. No sooner had I put my soup bowl down, the waiter was there to remove it. Good waitering is a skill and it makes the customer comfortable. I felt edgy every time he/she would show up. At one point I even held on to the bowl while he stood there for me to finish. Very crude.
- LisaPDined on 11/14/2014The place is nice, I wish they put less rice in sushi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LeighLeighVIPDined on 10/30/2014I only had one issue with AraOn. The food is excellent and extremely fresh but the chef is unwilling to accommodate any changes to the dishes.Special Features:
- jfe141Dined on 10/27/2014Food and presentation are very very good Service is attentive but not pushy Ambiance is OK, just a matter of tasteSpecial Features:
- Saigon Meets ChicagoJeanValjeanDined on 10/24/2014AraOn is an elegant, up scale eatery. It is perfect for entertaining a prospective client, collaborating with a colleague, or romancing a yearned for love interest. The food is wonderful; the staff is great and attentive, but not "pushy"; and the location is peerless. I can't recommend this under-stated little gem highly enough. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014I thought it was great for the business lunch I was attending.Special Features:
- High end /Japanese and KoreanmactheknifeDined on 10/15/2014new downtown addition, great for lunch in the loop. still getting organized; i hope they get some coat racks by the next time i visit. high quality imaginative high end asian cuisineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!MIBeerGuyDined on 10/11/2014Really enjoyed our dinner here! We enjoyed the Vietnamese spring rolls, and the Steak Frites (Korean Bulgogi flank steak) and the Bi Bim Bop entres were delicious. Awesome service, would like to get some of the sushi next time because the rolls sounded really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent establishimentdocbartDined on 10/10/2014Right next to the Marriott/W in the Loop, but on a Friday at 8pm it was fairly dead, strange. However all the better, since we had most of the expansive and nicely decorated space to ourselves. Surrounded by art, cool wood tables, enjoyed a massive spread. The Bento boxes weren't the cheapest but had enough for 2 meals really (or 1 American meal!) with a mix of vegetables, sushi, pasta (which makes it "French" I suppose), with a main meat or Sushi dish. There was barely room to fit it all on the table! In addition the Edamame, green tea with rice, and Green tea cream brûlée saturated us to the max on a celebratory night. Nice service and atmosphere, but I suggest KILL THE TERRIBLE MUZAC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best business lunch spots downtownOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014The food and service at AraOn is exceptional and the prices are reasonable especially for lunch. The servers have been there for years and the service level is exceptional even when they are fully booked which happens oftenSpecial Features:
- ScuffyDined on 9/17/2014Way too slow for lunch - took 40 minutes to get served!!!Special Features:
- ScottScottMDined on 9/11/2014Really enjoyed dinner at AraOn. Sushi rolls were excellent and both of the steak entrees at the table were delicious. Nice ambiance. Definitely recommend as a dinner spot in the loop.Special Features:
- Great Sushi!karlynVIPDined on 9/10/2014Creative and yummy. Even the edamame is extraordinary. The dishes look as great as they taste. If you're in the loop, check it out.Special Features:
- Best sushi we've had in a whilemel78Dined on 9/4/2014We went here before an event at the Chase Auditorium and enjoyed it. The service was prompt and food quite good. Our only complaint is the spicy tuna roll seemed to have pureed tuna instead of a piece of tuna. We've encountered this on multiple occasions in other Chicago sushi places but never in other cities.Special Features:
- Favorite spot for sushi / JapaneseOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/12/2014AraOn continues to impress me. I like the fact that they have great quality sushi along with a diverse and approachable menu. I really view it as one of the most reliable places I can go to for lunch with guests. If you really want to spoil yourself, just sit at the sushi bar and let the chefs make the selections. Aweseome!Special Features:
- Great lunch spot in the loopLCE1Dined on 8/7/2014Service was quick and the food was delicious. I try to plan lunches there when entertaining clients or coworkers because the food is great and they are so prompt with their service that lunch doesn't become an all day eventSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only Place For Japanese In LoopQuasiVeganFoodieVIPDined on 8/7/2014I dine at AraOn frequently and am never disappointed. The menu offers so many appealing options that I usually have trouble deciding what to order. This meal I was starving so opted for the Salmon Bento Box. Along with getting a generous sampling of so many great flavors (tempura vegetables, gomai, potatoe, mixed fruit and more) the salmon was perfectly cooked and delicious. Service is also great. This is my go-to place for Loop lunches - especially with out of town guests. It's a real crowd pleaser.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Who would have thought . . .janetrae51Dined on 7/30/2014that such a high quality sushi restaurant would be tucked away in the Loop? Really fresh fish. If you don't like sushi, try the Bento Box lunch or the wonderfully tender Korean steak. Could not recommend more highly. (The room is pretty loud - high ceilings with bounceback.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LingDined on 7/28/2014Had lunch with an out of towner who was impressed. Good food, good service. The menu had lots of options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 245 reviews are from the AraOn reviews archive.
- LPboyVIPDined on 7/18/2014The waitstaff was unfriendly and unengaged. Not only did we seem to be a "bother", but I couldn't even get a refill of my drink. Our waitress had zero personality. Never smiled. The sushi was just ok. We started wth a few rolls, but after being ignored, decided to get the check and leave. There are plenty of better sushi options in the city.
- Good Food but poor ambienceRockonelgrosDined on 7/17/2014We went there on a thursday night at 8. The food was very fresh and tasty, but the restaurant was empty....have to finish our wine bottle quickly because the staff was ready to leave at 9h15!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingJimPVIPDined on 6/25/2014After having had many good meals at AraOn, I must say my last visit was awful. My sushi was soggy, tasteless and just down right bad. It was as if the roll had been frozen. I had 2 pieces of Unagi that were definitely frozen before. My guest had the Steak Salad and said it was good. I hope this was a one time thing because I have had very good food there before.
- TastyUpSnoFnVIPDined on 6/25/2014Enjoyed the AraOn roll and also the variety of appetizers from Edamame to Spring Rolls - fresh and delicious.Special Features:
- UnderappreciatedentropyGainDined on 6/20/2014Ate here on a friday night for a business meal and was very impressed. Being from CA I'm a bit of a sushi snob. The offerings were excellent quality with nice originality in some of the rolls. (sorry, forgot the names). The sake list was also surprisingly good, with several fine Gingo offerings. Service was unobtrusive, but never wanting. The environment was modern, cool, quiet. My only surprise was that despite being in an active downtown area, it was rather empty for a friday. Great for us, but this restaurant deserves much more attention. Skip the overpriced steakhouses, stop by here for an elegant meal.Special Features:
- Tomenr48VIPDined on 6/18/2014My second time bringing clients to this restaurant for lunch and great placeSpecial Features:
- Asian LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/12/2014I took one of my assistants, who is non-familiar with Sushi, for a nice lunch. It was a pleasant lunch for both of us and we left full.Special Features:
- Always great!Stephanie1959Dined on 6/4/2014The maki was fresh and delicious. This is one of my favorite lunch spots. Make a reservation though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing visitOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/19/2014I was disappointed that the ONE thing I wanted on the menu, the very reason I chose this spot for lunch, was unavailable the day I visited (the short rib for the bahn mi sandwich). That drives me crazy when menu items are not available! The chicken teriyaki bento box I ended up with left much to be desired. It was ok but not terribly flavorful and that potato "croquette" type thing that came with it definitely needs to be served with some kind of sauce; it was good but dry. All in all, I'll be back but this was not the best experience for me. The server was nice and apologetic so that was cool; I never blamed her anyway, though.Special Features:
- Great Sushi find!!Erin2024Dined on 5/17/2014Delicious Sushi in the Financial District. It happened to be across the the street from my hotel and next time I am in Chicago I WILL go out of my way if I have to, to eat here again! Vietnamese spring roll app was simple yet extremely flavorful (and quite large, 6 big pieces). And we ordered 4 different sushi rolls - can't complain about any of them! They had two bars as well, great for a date! Art is amazing too!Special Features:
- Odd experirnceGrahamBDined on 5/8/2014As usual the food was excellent however this is the only occasion that I've ever received the bill before any food arrived. It took well over 25 minutes to receive our order at lunch. Very confusing, little in way of an explanation or apology.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing SpecialBuccos815VIPDined on 4/17/2014The sushi was good. The Bento Box was blase. Nothing horrible, just nothing compelling either.Special Features:
- Another good loop lunch spotfrp0511VIPDined on 4/9/2014Pricey but tasty. If you're looking for a better sushi option than Tokyo lunchbox, this is your place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loop Lunch SpotBobLoblawVIPDined on 4/9/2014This is one of the most consistently good lunch options in the Loop. The salmon bi bim bop is very good (albeit quite non-traditional).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable but somewhat hiddenOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/2/2014I've been walking past this restaurant for what could be years (I don't know when they opened) and had no idea it was there until I found it on OpenTable the other day. Service was prompt and friendly. Although the portion size seemed just a little small for the price on the meal I ordered... it was delicious and I cleaned my plate. It's not somewhere I'd go every day, but I'll definitely return in the future. There were a number of menu items that looked interesting that I'd like to try. This restaurant wasn't very crowded and I was able to make a reservation during the lunch rush, less than 1 hour in advance. I think this is directly due to no one realizing this restaurant exists.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chatted with the owner. VeryOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/1/2014Chatted with the owner. Very nice man. Regular sushi rolls were great. Specialty sushi rolls weren't anything special. Great location downtown, but easy to miss the sign. Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Came away more than impressedmilwaukeebrianVIPDined on 3/29/2014My wife and I were visiting Chicago and wanted to find a sushi place close to the hotel we were staying at. Oddly enough, there was one right across the street. What we experienced was far and away better than what I was expecting. Our waiter, Sergei, was so polite and fast. The owner? Jimmy was accommodating and appreciative. Ara On is a french inspired Japanese restaurant. I wish we were more hungry or we would have tried what looked to be amazing options on the dinner list - we stuck to sushi rolls. The seaweed salad was top notch. The California Crunch roll was very good. We eat sushi at least one a month, and this restaurant was a very good option. We loved the ambiance and the beautiful wood-crafted tables. Definitely go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/18/2014I enjoyed my lunch and thought the shrimp salad was excellent!Special Features:
- Japanese with a twistGrahamBDined on 3/14/2014A menu that caters to all with vibrant flavors and colors to tempt the palate. Well prepared and knowledgeably served in a lively yet not too noisy environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient for Loop LunchTerryVIPDined on 3/11/2014I went here with a couple colleagues for lunch. We got 3 sushi rolls and it was more than enough food. The sushi was really good. We were able to get in and out in an hour. I would recommend it for lunch in the Loop.Special Features:
- Good Business Lunch SpotGinaVIPDined on 3/11/2014It's a good alternative spot for business lunches when you're used to going to basic places like South Branch and Sienna Tavern. Even if certain people don't like sushi, you can get basic Asian dishes for picky eaters. Good for vegetarians, too!Special Features: