1829 West Chicago Avenue
Chicago, IL 60622Neighborhood:
Bucktown / Wicker Park
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.aramichicago.com/
- Phone: (312) 243-1535
- Hours of Operation:
M 5 PM - 9:15 PM*
T 5 PM - 9:45 PM
W 5 PM - 9:45 PM
Th 5 PM - 10:15 PM
F 5 PM - 10:30 PM
S 5 PM - 10:30 PM
S 5 PM - 9:15 PM
*kitchen closes 30 min after last seating
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Seafood, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Frederick Despres
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: We have catering options for all occasions! Contact us at 312-243-1535 or email@example.com
- Private Party Facilities: Updated tradition feeds the urban dweller at this innovative sushi and Japanese kitchen spot. Host your private event at Arami and enjoy high quality sushi in our peaceful, natural, garden like atmosphere as you mingle and dine with your guests.
- Private Party Contact: Event Coordinator 8557809843
- Special Events:
A word from Arami
Updated traditional feeds the urban dweller at this innovative sushi and Japanese kitchen spot. Enjoy high quality sushi in our peaceful, natural, garden like atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Arami reviews from OpenTable diners
87 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (69)neighborhood gem (60)special occasion (30)romantic (28)hot spot (20)good for groups (11)notable wine list (10)kid-friendly (3)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (3)great for lunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Wonderful as always!CarbCakesDined on 11/17/2014We had a wonderful time at Arami recently - I wanted to introduce friends of mine to the restaurant. The food was superb, well-timed and delicious. The sake list is robust, and we found two great choices. We began with house-made pickled burdock root, okra, mushrooms and hearts of palm, followed by their warm Japanese mushrooms. The kama (collar) was picked clean rapidly, and the sushi was delicious, with a few rarities. We ended with tonkatsu, the perfect end for a cold night. Delicious, wonderful service, and a friendly, inviting atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChicagoanDined on 11/16/2014Very good sushi. Some of the best I have had in the city. The service was knowledgable and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great place for sushiWoodyDined on 11/14/2014Very tasty and creative sushi. While the portions were small, the prices were not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- super Japanese food choiceLeoluDined on 11/7/2014Arami is so far my best Japanese dinning exp in Chicago. Best and fresh sashimi choice, innovative cold choice (I love the urchin and toro tatar spoon!!!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seriously Good SushisushmagooshDined on 11/5/2014Some of the best Hamachi I have ever had! We had the Hamachi Carpaccio that was simply amazing. The flavors in the rolls were spot on too. Staff was on the ball and worked like a well oiled machine. Friendly, amazing food, and great sake choices too.Special Features:
- Gorgeous and Delicious PlaceelfyDined on 11/1/2014We've dined here before and my wife has allergies. They accommodated us and we were able to dine in peace without any kitchen mess. We both ordered a plate of sushi and shared the Arami Ramen at the end. Everything was served elegantly, timely, and really fed our eyes. It's filling but not over the top! It's such a great find and worth the price. We will certainly return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazone sushi And serviceAnnakayeVIPDined on 10/25/2014The Best sushi so fresh And creative. Cannot give enough praise snd our waitress the best!Special Features:
- Intimate dining experiece, Sushi OKWindyCityKCriticDined on 10/18/2014Approaching the front door it appears a hole in the wall, only the bar and small space visible from the front window. Once back in the restaurant, the sushi bar and dining area have a casually elegant atmosphere. The saki menu is extensive and the cocktails were mixed very well. The service by the wait staff and others was phenomenal... the real highlight of the experience. Items on the menu are presented well, variety, description. The quality of the sushi however leaves something to be desired. The finer atmosphere, presentation and price sets the expectation higher... for which they do not deliver in flavor, quantity or plate presentation. Overall review: I recommend Amari for the dining experience and not the cullinary expertiseSpecial Features:
- Food was great!!!VeganfoodieDined on 10/11/2014The food was really well done but slow to come out. Service was excellent but slow as well. I would do it again though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice spotpathgeekDined on 10/11/2014Liked the place, liked the food. Don't live in Chicago- more expensive than it would've been for similar atmosphere and food quality in Seattle... whatever that means. Nice mix of folks dining there. Kind of loud If in chicago and wanting sushi might go againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing sushiBobJ72Dined on 10/10/2014Made a reservation at Arami for my wife's birthday. She's gluten free due to a medical condition and was happy to find that they have a dedicated GF menu and they have GF tamari on hand so we didn't have to bring our own! Everything we had was delicious and the staff was very friendly. I would have given the ambiance 5 stars, but the people immediately next to us had some kind of problem with voice modulation - extreme loud talkers and they stayed well beyond the time they finished their meal. At times I had difficulty concentrating. The food was outstanding though! Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Another lovely night at AramiCarbCakesDined on 9/28/2014We had a terrific time at Arami, as friends of ours hadn't been before. They were highly impressed with the food, level of service, and overall ambiance of the restaurant. I wish we'd had more room for dessert, but we were more than satisfied with our delicious meal.Special Features:
- Best sushi in ChicagoSmoochieDined on 9/19/2014we have dined here many times, never been disappointed. Great sashimi and cocktails exactly what we wanted. Friendly staff and usually easy street parkingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not only for fishYalekVIPDined on 9/12/2014Arami is a great Japanese restaurant. Sushi and sashimi are excellent but they also offer udor, bento and appetizers. The robata pork belly is excellent too. The only criticism is the sushi bar. Traditional, the customers order directly from the chef but I have to order through the host even I sat at the sushi bar. Since there is lack of inter activities with the chefs, it feels odd to sit at the bar.Special Features:
- amazing sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/10/2014We have a lot of sushi options which are quite frankly less expensive. But Arami was in a league above most of our regular "go to" spots. There were very interesting preparations we don't see elsewhere and the fish was so fresh. We have sushi 3-4 times per month and the price point puts this out of reach for that frequency. But we will definitely go back for special nights.Special Features:
- Best sushiSuburbanguyinthecityDined on 8/29/2014This our second time at Arami and we ordered all new appetizers, rolls and drinks. I was not sure if it was possible, but the food was even better than before. The drinks were great and the service was good. It was a little loud, but still an excellent couples' dining experience. Love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!NotToMissVIPDined on 8/24/2014Wait staff was very friendly and gave great recommendations for wine, sake and food. Loved the spicy tako springroll, the special nigiri, Kampachi sake and the robata dishes - don't miss the corn and the pork belly.Special Features:
- Amazing food, but service was offOpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 8/23/2014The food was amazing, the fish was incredible fresh and delicious. My wife is a vegetarian and they had more than enough options to satisfy her. The highlight was the Kabocha nigiri and maki, which are the same ingredients, but different forms. That was definitely unique and amazing. The service was a little off though. For example it took 10+ minutes for our waitress to come to our table and greet us and by the time the first plate arrive it was nearly 40 minutes and we were starving. She was somewhat robotic in her delivery and there wasn't a lot of warmth from her(not cold, but not warm). Also kinda loud in restaurant and the tables are on top of each other making for some pretty good eavesdropping if you are into that kinda thing.Special Features:
- Excellent sushi !LindiDined on 8/22/2014Unique flavour combinations and rolled to perfect bite size ( not too much rice) - lovely presentation - great experience !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sea Urchin ShootersDeniseDined on 8/16/2014Need I say more? Helpful staff lead you through the menu and offer suggestions to match your taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatSteveDined on 8/15/2014Best sushi I ever had. Everything was spectacular !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre at bestAdSmithVIPDined on 8/1/2014The two of us spent about $90 there and tried many different dishes. None were above being "good." Nothing was awful but I'd never go back. For the US, it's fairly authentic Japanese, but tries to make it 'fancy.' It just wasn't that good.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/29/2014Food taste and presentation were excellent. Overall, wonderful exprience.Special Features:
- Outstanding SUSHI!DeliciousDined on 7/26/2014Arami was a total surprise & delight! I love, love sushi, & this place hands-down was the best I have ever had! I told Michele the waiter, what I usually like, but would also like some recommendations, because if it is fresh sushi, it all will be good. She brought me some salmon sashimi, (my normal like), & another one called amber -jack I think, to try. Both were outstanding, yum! I then trusted her & told her to just go ahead with what she would chose, & course out the whole meal for me, including a lite dessert. Best decision I made! Everything she brought was a new experience, & absolutely delicious! Thank you, Michelle! Did I mention, the place is beautiful, & very tastefully laid out, great ambiance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 547 reviews are from the Arami reviews archive.
- Best sushi in the cityEEK27VIPDined on 7/22/2014Arami looks like a hole in the wall until you walk back to the dining room and see a gorgeous space. Their wait staff takes excellent care of you and the food is amazing. Definitely try the truffle bites, yum! The high ceiling makes for a louder atmosphere, so not exactly a quiet and cozy. But you can't beat the freshi and creative sushi and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- top notch foodChicagoMariaVIPDined on 7/18/2014I am always surprised at the quality of ingredients and how amazing the food is at Arami. You would not expect such spectacular food at an unassuming neighborhood sushi restaurant but they really go above and beyond. The environment is romantic and low key. The drinks are great. And the service is perfect - attentive, informative, and friendly. I love coming here and always recommend it to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very happy every time we go there.FoodieprincessVIPDined on 7/12/2014Excellent sushi but even better sashimi. Terrific noodle soups as well, highly recommend.Special Features:
- FineFoodFanaticDined on 7/10/2014Very much enjoyed the creative and flavorful sushi and the very professional service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Amazing!foodieVIPDined on 7/10/2014I have been to Arami a half dozen times and am always impressed with the care given to every ingredient, the innovation in flavor pairings, the consistently excellent cooking and presentation and the wealth of goodies on the menu. You can have a delicious meal here and never have a piece of fish.Special Features:
- Slow and overpricedanothersteveVIPDined on 7/5/2014I have been here a few times and want to like the place. Unfortunately, long waits on orders combined with high prices (considering the service) makes this restaurant hard to recommend.
- All around fantastic.SirEatalotVIPDined on 7/3/2014A restaurant needs great food for a great dining experience but that alone doesn't assure one. Arami has great food, fantastic staff, excellent cocktails and a great vibe. It's a can't-miss spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit the spotJmillDined on 6/30/2014Everything about this place was perfect, it's a hidden gem. From outside you'll never know it's such a great restaurant until you walk in. Service was great, 8 course meal was delicious. Will be back very soon to try the maki sushi rolls.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Salmon SashiminomcatDined on 6/27/2014I've been here twice before and each time I got ramen. They didn't have as much ramen on the menu as the previous 2 tiimes I was here, so I got sushi. The salmon sashimi is top quality and very fresh. If I ever craved amazing sashimi, I'll most likely be returning here.Special Features:
- Sushi GemBrandersonaDined on 6/27/2014Food, service and the sake list are always on point & exciting! The only teeny tiny element that would boost the overall package is ambiance..lower lighting & more pronounced music. I'm not saying make it dark with loud music -- small tweaks to both would enhance the feel of the space and the experience. That said, even if there was no music and all the lights were on and bright, I'd STILL go to enjoy a fabulous meal and bottle of sake (maybe two!) ;-)Special Features:
- Great spotrestaurantmavenVIPDined on 6/24/2014This is a great spot for good Asian food in Ukrainian Village. Its unassuming from the outside but the food is interesting and flavorful. I took my fiancé there for her birthday and really enjoyed the experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/22/2014Excellent food. Very nice ambiance. Hard to locate because of lack of sign outside. The greeter can smile a little. She sounded a little rude. Definitely will go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FolksPassingThroughDined on 6/19/2014We were in Chicago and needed to drive to the United Center with our 12 year old son to see Queen and Adam Lambert (which, by the way, was an amazing concert). We looked online and the description of this restaurant seemed perfect. As soon as we opened the front door, we were immediately impressed. We were warmly welcomed, escorted past the sushi chefs and all of their wonderful raw material, and had the most amazing waitress -- friendly, efficient, and extremely knowledgeable. Did I say the food was good? YES.....AMAZING!!!! This restaurant was a great find, and we will go back again and again, even when we're not on our way to the United Center.Special Features:
- Still the best sushi in ChicagonicknameVIPDined on 6/18/2014We keep coming back-- the folks at Arami never let you down. Always fresh, every bite delights.Special Features:
- really awesomelavpupsDined on 6/13/2014A great dining experience. Excellent sushi, great service, awesomeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FFandJJVIPDined on 6/5/2014Great food; sushi selections are good and fish are notably fresh. However, it's a little on the pricey side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.