131 Carondelet Plaza
Clayton, MO 63105Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.araka.com/
- Phone: 3147256777
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm
Monday & Tuesday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
Wednesday & Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
Happy Hour: Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 7:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Burnau
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Off-premise catering is available.
- Private Party Facilities: Perhaps the most unique private dining rooms in the St. Louis area. Business dinners or Board Meetings. Pharmaceutical Dinners or Medical Meetings. Rehearsal Dinners or Birthdays. Graduations or Celebrations. Whatever the occasion, Araka is the place for you. Araka offers four private areas to accommodate from 10-50 people for sit down lunches, dinners, or cocktail parties. Each room has its own unique touches, but all include 42” plasmas & state of the art electronics for presentations. The Venetian & Olympian Rooms, located on the mezzanine level, offer a 180 degree panoramic view of the fountain on Carondelet Plaza. The Marseille & Olympian Rooms offer the utmost privacy with its ionized glass that can change from clear to frosted with the flip of a switch.
- Private Party Contact: Kristen 3147256777
- Special Events: Perhaps the most unique private dining rooms in the St. Louis area. Business dinners or Board Meetings. Pharmaceutical Dinners or Medical Meetings. Rehearsal Dinners or Birthdays. Graduations or Celebrations. Whatever the occasion, ARAKA is the place for you. ARAKA offers four private areas to accommodate from 10-50 people for sit down lunches, dinners, or cocktail parties. Each room has its own unique touches, but all include 42” plasmas & state-of-the-art electronics for presentations. The Venetian & Olympian Rooms, located on the mezzanine level, offer a 180 degree panoramic view of the fountain on Carondelet Plaza. The Marseille & Olympian Rooms offer the utmost privacy with its ionized glass that can change from clear to frosted with the flip of a switch. For more information or to book your next event contact: Sharon Hornbeck, Special Events Coordinator (314) 725-6777
A word from Araka Restaurant
The culinary philosophy of both Executive Chef Michael Burnau and Chef de Cuisine Ryan Cooper is to use simple market fresh and pure ingredients to create flavorful and memorable dishes. In addition to our meat and fish dishes, our expansive vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free selections all contain healthy vegetables, and proteins, without sacrificing flavor. We look forward to seeing you!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Araka Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
- Great food and service. SorryTennisace1Dined on 3/6/2013Great food and service. Sorry they will be closing. Beautiful decor hope the new restaurant owners don't change it too much.Special Features:
- Food was very good. MenuFamilydineoutDined on 3/2/2013Food was very good. Menu offered excellent choices -- meat, fish, vegetarian, vegan --perfect for my family. Our waiter was especially good. So sorry to learn the restaurant is closingSpecial Features:
- Our appetizer was very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/16/2013Our appetizer was very good and the entre was good - grouper very good and the chicken was just okay. The waiter was also good, but we had to wait over an hour and a half for our food once we ordered. I have never drank a bottle of wine before my dinner was served.
- Saturday night , restaurantTMARTINVIPDined on 2/16/2013Saturday night , restaurant was only half full and our waiter would still not be seen for 20 minutes at a time. Food good but with that service we will never be back .Special Features:
- My husband and I have a 7Foodie52Dined on 2/14/2013My husband and I have a 7 month old, so we were really looking forward to a nice Romantic Valentine's Dinner alone. When we got to Araka we were seated promptly and greeted by our server. There were so many delicious looking items on the menu we couldn't pick just one, so we decided to order several appetizers and a couple salads. Despite only ordering appetizers and salad, it took a half an hour for our salad to come out. Then another 30minutes for our food to come out and once they arrived they were cold. We rarely saw our waiter and to avoid spending any more time at Araka we ate our cold food. Then waited another 20 minutes for the check. Our total dinning experience was close to 2 hours. Needless to say we were quite disappointed.
- Awesome dining experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/13/2013Excellent food and great ambiance. Our waiter was new so not as informed about wines and menu items but very pleasant young man.Special Features:
- I ordered the Australian lambOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/9/2013I ordered the Australian lamb and do not regret it. It was delicious.Special Features:
- Great for a business lunch.OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/8/2013Great for a business lunch. Foood was very good quality and well prepared. Convenient parking in the garage behind the restaurant, a plus for a Clayton restaurant. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Food was delicious and theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/26/2013Food was delicious and the wait staff very attentive.Special Features:
- Great menu for restaurantdinerDined on 1/26/2013Great menu for restaurant week. They did not include a dessert instead you had 3 courses of real food. We picked them becasue of thisSpecial Features:
- A little disappointed thatGoodVIPDined on 1/26/2013A little disappointed that we were seated upstairs in a very unattractive. The downstairs is lovely. Will request a different table when I go again.
- We went for Clayton restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/26/2013We went for Clayton restaurant week. Very nice variety of menu selections. Really appreciated the vegetarian options. Food was very good, ice cream (salted caramel and white chocolate banana-house made) was excellent. Wine list was also exceptional.
- We came to Araka for ClaytonscifisirenDined on 1/25/2013We came to Araka for Clayton restaurant week. Everything we had was expertly and perfectly prepared and cooked, from the beet salads to the steamed mussels, to our entrees of salmon and flatiron sirloin, both deliciously seared and at perfect medium temperature. Great ambiance, lovely design, and wonderful service. I'd like to come back to try some more adventurous menu options.Special Features:
- A wonderful Clayton RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/25/2013A wonderful Clayton Restaurant week experience.Great wine list, delicious food and appropriate amounts and choices. We will definitley be back soon!Special Features:
- This is probably my favoriteKito3987VIPDined on 1/24/2013This is probably my favorite restaurant in St. Louis now. Everything is amazing. Even pretty non-exciting dishes like "mac & cheese" were absolutely amazing. I can't wait to go back. The location and ambiance are terrific. Service was outstanding (attentive without hovering). Wine is good, and even though this is a pretty pricey restaurant, you can get a good bottle of wine for $30. Most importantly (just kidding), our waiter was HOT!!!!Special Features:
- It was Clayton restauraanttwinsisDined on 1/23/2013It was Clayton restauraant week so we expected smaller portions for the $25.00 three course menu but wanted to introduce our visiting NYC daughter to the restaurant. Much to our delight, there were plenty of choices for each course and the plates were were not only bountiful but presented beautifully. And most important DELICIOUS, as good as the finest restaurants in NYC.Special Features:
- Very good as always. ReallyOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 1/23/2013Very good as always. Really enjoyed the salmon - the duck confit ravioli was a disappointment however. Thought they'd either be boiled or soft pasta, not baked. Sauce was flavorful, but couldn't eat the ravioli w/o it.Special Features:
- Wonderful as always, evenlolatwinkletoesVIPDined on 1/23/2013Wonderful as always, even with it being Clayton Restaurant Week and the restaurant being exceptionally busy.Special Features:
- Apps were okay, but the entreesOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/23/2013Apps were okay, but the entrees were average at best. As an example, the pork loin was an overcooked boneless chop. Nothing to write home about. We were disappointed. Unfortunately we can't recommend.
- Place to go AnytimeHirschwritesVIPDined on 1/22/2013Terrific menu for the Clayton Restaurants week. Three savory courses ... one as great as the next. I had the white bean soup, mac and cheese, and salmon. Service excellentSpecial Features:
- We were pleased with unusualOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/22/2013We were pleased with unusual and creative food choices that are not routinely available on the menu of every upscale restaurant, such as the duck confit ravioli and warm beet salad. The serving of flatiron steak was a bit meager, but we came for Clayton Restaurant week (fixed price) so perhaps that's the reason. The decor is very special, particularly the bar area.Special Features:
- Food was disappointing, notOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/21/2013Food was disappointing, not nearly as good as it has been in the past. Will probably try again but not for awhile.
- Excellent meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/21/2013We were there for Clayton restaurant week and had an excellent 3-course prix fixe meal. I was amazed at the portion sizes (large!). Most the dishes were excellent and well presented; cauliflower soup, smoked trout, mussels, pasta, salmon all wonderful. The Caesar salads were fine but nothing out of the ordinary. The mushroom ravioli is made with a baked ravioli which was good (delicious dipping sauce) but I think the dish would have been better with a soft pasta type of ravioli. Service was excellent. Overall it was a great experience and I will return soon. Highly recommend for restaurant week!Special Features:
- Araka was a very amazing find,OPKSDined on 1/18/2013Araka was a very amazing find, considering I did not know a thing about it and selected it because (a) the menu looked good and (b) it was within easy walking distance from our hotel. The food was really super - salmon prepared just right, excellent scallops, to-die-for salted-caramel ice cream; the bar scene was fun (we asked for bar seats after arriving and the switch from table to bar was made seamlessly); and the service was just perfect. A small group came in that included several kids and they seemed to enjoy it also. But, it was also just right for a romantic dinner for two. Outside dining appeared available but we ate at Araka in January so no outside dining for us. We'd strongly recommend Araka and hope to dine there again.Special Features:
- Food and service was fantastic.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/11/2013Food and service was fantastic. I loved the choices on the menu. They were spot on with service. Only surprise was that it wasn't very busy. This place is beautiful, and would recommend it to anyone.Special Features:
- Whole process with reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/8/2013Whole process with reservation went flawlessly. Food and service were great. Just don't sit in booth where shades can't block out lunch time sun.Special Features:
- Dave and I really liked Araka!FrostyDined on 1/5/2013Dave and I really liked Araka! We wanted to try something different in the Clyton area so I just checked on line and found it. We loved it! Thanks!Special Features:
- For a fine dining restaurant,ChrisDined on 12/31/2012For a fine dining restaurant, I was truly disappointed with the service. We were seated for about 10 minutes and nobody brought us any water or bread. I felt a bit embarrassed to have to ask for bread. Our server was slow and unattentive. The food was good but wasn't out of this world.
- We will be back!VSTLVIPDined on 12/31/2012We decided to try a new restaurant for New Year's. We were not disappointed. The food was delicious and from what I gather it was a special menu for New Year's and the chefs did themselves proud. The food was imaginative, beautifully presented and excellent. And Sean, our server, was tremendous. He was that perfect balance of attentive without being cloying, informative and professional. In Europe, where, particularly in nicer restaurants, waiting tables is a profession, he would fit in nicely and service can make a special meal that much better. My compliments!Special Features:
- Food was presented and tastedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/29/2012Food was presented and tasted great, but we were disappointed that it wasn't crowded, especially for a Saturday night. This is the 2nd time we have been there on a Saturday night and it was empty. We really enjoy the food and the restaurant is beautiful. I hope they make it.
- What a findOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/28/2012This was a nice place to eat at. It was not crowded and the service was great. Our server was knowledgable and recommended his favorites. The food was delictable. We will go back.Special Features:
- It was a really good and pleasantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/27/2012It was a really good and pleasant dinner, the only thing to be improved might be the espresso, it was lukewarm!! GSW
- I found the dishes to be overlyLynnVIPDined on 12/5/2012I found the dishes to be overly salty and just not good. The dumplings were very salty. THe short ribs very pedestrian. My dinner companion had a better tasting meal. Perhaps I just made poor selections.
- Good. A little chilly duringOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/23/2012Good. A little chilly during these winter months. Did like the ambiance for a small group. Too open for me to be romantic. Service was very good. Liked the waiter - helpful and available without hovering. Wine he suggested was good.Special Features:
- We enjoyed our food and experienceFoodie2bDined on 11/23/2012We enjoyed our food and experience there. The wait staff were all very good and professional. We definitely will go again. My Cosmo was a bit too sweet - and not a great amount of vodka - but nicely presented. The wine was perfect with all of our choices for the meal(s). We went early - but the restaurant did fill up as we were leaving. It is an "easy" and welcoming place to go.Special Features:
- Nice new additions to the menu!dreday23Dined on 11/17/2012Had a great dinner at Araka on Saturday night. My boyfriend and I split the lobster BLT app and it was delish. You could easily make a meal out of this app with four sliders. I had the bibb salad and the seafood pasta. Both were excellent. The pasta was just the right amount and had a ton of seafood. The bf had the cauliflower soup and the ribeye. He was very pleased with his steak they cooked it perfectly and he was a very happy camper. We had a bottle of pinot greigo and it was a perfect night. If you haven't been to Araka in awhile make a trip, it will be worth it!Special Features:
- Great spot, poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/16/2012The restaurant is beautiful. We were greeted by a friendly and energetic hostess, but that's where it stopped. Our service was not good. Our waiter seemed very disinterested in assisting us and we had to flag him down everytime we needed something. He did not come back to check on us. The only time he was prompt was in bringing the check; almost seemed like he was rushing us out. My food was tasty, but it was cold. I had to ask for it to be reheated. My steak was tough despite ordering it medium well. My date's chicken (Amish chicken) was amazing! I ate more of his food than my own. The beef carpaccio appetizer was great, also great wine. The ambiance is very nice. I'll go back, but I hope for a different waiter.Special Features:
- I brought my girlfriend toOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2012I brought my girlfriend to Araka Restaurant for our four year anniversary. I was impressed with the ambiance, specifically the changing light colors on the ceiling and the cross-hatch patterns on the walls. I was also impressed with how fast and friendly the service was, and the atmosphere was quiet and I did not feel crowded.Special Features:
- Perfection...One of my top 5OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/27/2012It's been over a year since I dined at Araka and having dinner there the other night reminded me that I am missing out on a real gem. Everything was perfect, service, food, drinks, dessert, parking noise level good for conversation. Could not ask for anything more. Walked over to The Ritz for a nightcap and a little music. Perfect evening.Special Features:
- absolutely the best! Lovedowlfan2VIPDined on 10/25/2012absolutely the best! Loved their anniversary menu which included appetizer, entree and good sized dessert.I had filet mignon..cooked superbly,Husband had chicken...very tender and juicyMy son had pork belly which was mouth watering delicious!Special Features: