4 East 36th Street
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Phone: 2125322210
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 1:00am, Saturday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: African, Mediterranean, Middle Eastern
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
A word from Arabesque
Building on the success of New York City’s acclaimed Barbès Restaurant, Omar Balouma & Abdellah Ksiyer introduce Arabesque, named for the art form defined by a complex ornamental design of intertwined flowing lines & geometric figures originally found in Moorish decoration. Arabesque Restaurant resonates this in its architecture, décor and menu with a modern Moorish dining room, a traditional Moroccan lounge and a menu that carefully intertwines North African, Middle Eastern & Mediterranean cuisines.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Arabesque reviews from OpenTable diners
17 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
romantic (8)good for groups (7)hot spot (6)neighborhood gem (6)special occasion (5)late-night find (5)fit for foodies (3)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Great food great staffTgold1Dined on 8/5/2014The food was excellent and the staff was very attentive and accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Meal...and a Belly Dancer!ChewiesPetDined on 7/19/2014Dined with friends on a Saturday night. The food was good; prepared well. The atmosphere was dark, romantic, low key; overall very nice. The only (small) blemish was the service; somewhat spotty. One of our appetizers never came (hostess apologized, we were not charged, so OK) and they forgot our dessert and tea until we reminded them 15 minutes later. Ended the night with a hookah, a nice treat! We were two couple and shared all plates. Started with the Arabesque Quinoa Tabouli, Babaganoush and Hummus with Avocado, all very good. Entrees were Leg of Lamb (really good!), Filet Mignon, Chicken Paillard and Grilled Citrus Tuna. Good food, live music and the belly dancer made for an overall nice experience, try it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly SpecialReasonableExpectationsDined on 7/12/2014Roaches everywhere, and huge roaches at that. And they would only offer to switch our table. Made no attempt to make it right with the bill. More than four individual, new york roaches. The last straw was one of their pets landing in my wife's lap. We left immediately, the last thing the girl asked was, "do you want a different table". Disgusting AVOID AVOID AVOID!!!!!!!!
- Overpriced.OverpricedArabEsqueDined on 6/28/2014Overpriced, Hookah was decent, food was not good. Service was ok - had made reservations with specific instructions, was given whatever table was left over, low table, high seats, you had to stoop to eat, and with middle-eastern food that is difficult with sauces/dips. I do not recommend this place.
- amazing experienceYesyliciousDined on 6/11/2014I will highly recommend this restaurant. The Bartender was so kind and friendly. . Thank you Jessica, we had a such wonderful time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exotic GemAngieDDined on 6/2/2014I loved this place, it was as if you stepped into a scene from Casablanca. The fare was beautifully prepared and is perfect if you are looking for light lunch. The Morroccan tea was a perfect end to our meal. Would definitely return and would love to visit in the evening next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 61 reviews are from the Arabesque reviews archive.
- Fantastic service & great foodTommyDined on 5/16/2014Had the mussels and garlic shrimp over rice, with hummus and a glass of red. Delicious. Great friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great hookah lounge!MprezDined on 4/29/2014Chill, Moroccan-style hookah bar and lounge. Apps were great. Main dishes were fairly good. Best hookah I've had in manhattan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Arabesque touch all sensesOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/12/2014Arabesque offers wonderful food, drinks, smells, sights, and sounds all in one place. It is a hidden gem that transports patrons to Morocco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a place we wanted to dineOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/9/2014The description of Arabesque sounded good and the menu looked interesting. But when we arrived there was loud throbbing music which would have prevented conversation bellow a shout. I couldn't hear what he host was saying. I asked if he had a quieter table and he took us to the back section which we soon realized was a hookah lounge. We didn't want to eat in the smoke and no waiter had come so we got up and went back to the front. It was still as loud there. Someone said he would find us a table in one minute. We waited a while but realized we really were not going to enjoy eating in that atmosphere. We couldn't find anyone to tell so we just left. Can't comment on the food.Special Features:
- Special OccasionKatsDined on 3/22/2014Eventhough it is not a romantic place, it was a nice to have an special occasion. Service was great and the food was excelent. I had a good time and I will go back again and recommend to my friends. Thanks. KSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- differentLayaDined on 3/14/2014I found this restaurant to have fun vibe. the food was delicious and the music was upbeat. we had funSpecial Features:
- Great place!HowardDined on 2/24/2014Fantastic food, terrific atmosphere and great service. A real gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant for a middle-easteOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/16/2014Great restaurant for a middle-eastern vibe; food was great, hookah was very smooth (although coals ran our quickly) and our waiter, Tri, was very nice! Will go back on a weeknight when there is more of a crowd. Expensive night but worth it for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 9 very happy peopleOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/18/2014We had a group get-together. Many of them are foodies... like me and we were delighted with everything. The service was warm, friendly, attentive. The food please everyone - this was a first... and everyone has differing tastes... very conscientious about food allergies - one of us is a celiac. all the courses were superb. The atmosphere was simply wonderful. Thank you Arabesque for such a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed and ignored!DisappointedDined on 1/13/2014We went for a small group lunch to celebrate the new year and it was a big disappointment - not special at all. Mostly this was because of the terrible service. Not welcoming, then we waited 15 minutes for water and tea, then waited again for the starters and then the mains did not come together it took 10 minutes for the last person to be served - so all our food was cold. No-one seemed to care, they said they were busy - how can they not be able to serve properly when only one third of the restaurant was occupied? To add insult to injury, they charged $20 dollars per pot of mint tea and kept offering more so we were charged $60 for tea on the final bill!! Not a great experience and not recommended.
- Great food and ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 1/10/2014The food was delicious. The rose flavored dessert was one of a kind. The ambiance took us to a new world. The owner stopped by to inquire how we felt and if needed anything. We mentioned we would have appreciated some water - other than that we were happy with the food. He took our request to heart and served us water. The staff followed up accordingly. We appreciated our experience and hope to enjoy the place and delicious food again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was better than expected.OwenVIPDined on 12/28/2013This was better than expected. We worried that the live entertainment "belly dancing" would overwhelm the experience. Didn't happenn since BD started at 10 and our reservation was for 7. Service was very attentative. Food was terrific. Best dishes were the cigar and the sole, of the several we tried. "Small" and "large" plates don't necessarily conform when it comes to portion size. There are two rooms...a white tablecloth front room (narrow) and a square "lounge" room with tables around the large performance space. That room has no table cloths but looked equally nice in a more informal way. Lively crowd in both rooms on Sat 12/28. A fun experience. Would go back for sure.I would recommend this to a friend.
- food was great. pretty empty.christmasinthecityDined on 12/25/2013food was great. pretty empty. a lot of young adults who plan on using hookahs. may not be the best choice for children but the food is delicious. definitely recommend the mushroom risotto.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small plates were VERY small...6OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/25/2013Small plates were VERY small...6 shrimp for $14!!! Had 5 small plates and left hungry. They don't even put bread on the table...very strange. A nice experience but will not return.Special Features:
- 21st birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/15/2013Great time! Had a family party here for our daughters 21st birthday. Wait staff were extremely attentive to our party of 22. Food was both fun and delicious. Glad we chose Arabesque.Special Features:
- Food very good. Portions areOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/29/2013Food very good. Portions are huge; small plates are size of a full entree. Great veggie options. Reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful surprise!jtg1VIPDined on 11/21/2013this spot is hidden gem in midtown, once inside there is a warm Moroccan ambiance. The host and server could not be more gracious, attentive, and hospitable and friendly. you don't get that a lot, so it is noteworthy. the ambiance is very exotic and romantic, they had live music in the back room. The chicken cigars were amazing, as well as the other food we had. will definitely be a regular!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not enough room for large partiesOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/9/2013My guest where crammed into a small space which did not accommodate them and the server was unable to manage a party of 15 and was overwhelmed one if the guest had their entree at the end if dinner
- Arabesque is the full package!!!CrazyredDined on 11/9/2013Arabesque is the full package!!! You have ambience, great food, great service and entertainment. We had soooo much fun. The owner came over to us several times and asked if we needed anything. We danced with belly dancers, smoked hookah and ate unbelivable food and delicious wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very attentive staffCondesaVIPDined on 11/9/2013This lively restaurant is beautifully decorated. For us, the music was too loud but the waiter did try to accommodate our needs for a quieter space. The food was good, not great. The Moroccan spicing was lovely.
- It was quieter than we thoughtOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/30/2013It was quieter than we thought it would be but the ambiance was really nice. We were just there for drinks but the appetizer we ordered was good. Would return here for dinner one day or over the weekend. Hope it picks up. The door to the entrance is just gorgeous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun night with the GirlsJulieBDined on 10/19/2013This was a great place for groups, with good food at great prices, and unique entertainment. I would definitely recommend to people looking for a new experience and fun dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticimdkiddDined on 9/26/2013I was really impressed. The decor was amazing and service was great especially considering that they only had two waiters during lunch. Small plates are definitely the way to go here. I would say my party was less impress with the large plates, although, they were fairly good. You get better variety with the small plates and certainly more tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch optionPriNJDined on 7/11/2013A small group of us went for lunch to Arabesque after I had read good reviews of this restaurant on Opentable and Yelp and it certainly didn't disappoint. I was a little wary walking in through the narrow door the obvious hookah bar decor but was pleasantly surprised by the service as well as the quality of the food. The place was rather empty but I guessed that it was more known for its dinner and late night scene rather than for lunch. Overall good experience and would definitely go back if I'm in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place to chill but...MasryaVIPDined on 6/30/2013....be prepared to spend a lot. The hookah is $40 and the avg cost of a small plate is $12-14 dollar. Entres are much more. I must admit the hookah and food was good but I can't justify spending that much on a hookah.
- Nice food , nothing elseLjuboDined on 6/27/2013Food is nice, nothing special, but also not expensive.. Value for money, definitely yes. Rest is so - so.. Although we (family of 5) book table more than 30 days in advance , on our arrival we had been seated on improvised table where we had barely any space for glasses and plates..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceMare1952Dined on 6/13/2013All 3 times I've been for dinner and asked for a table away from the rather loud music, they turned the music level down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Arabesque reviewScaryChoeVIPDined on 6/6/2013We started with the 3 assorted hummus dips and baba ghanoush. All hummus dips were very flavorful, spicy hummus was our favorite but the baba ghanoush was a bit bland. The quinoa salad which we ordered next was also very bland. However, the mussels in white wine and the grilled calamari were absolutely delicious. We would have like a larger portion though of the calamari. The ambiance was very nice, service was very good, and we will likely return for the mussels and calamari dishes.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceFishlover49Dined on 6/5/2013We had the spicy hummus for an appetizer and it was fantastic! My husband had lamb and I had the Cornish hen - both dishes were delicious and prepared using herbs and spices that made them special. Prices are reasonable and service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great midtown locationOhYummVIPDined on 5/26/2013the "Small Plates" are really large! we ordered Quinoa Tabouli & Babaganoush which were delicious and really fresh. the Babaganoush had just enough smoked paprika. The Chicken Apricot Cigars were flavorful and crispy. we ordered the special of the day which was Chicken Brochette which was perfectly grilled and had a wonderful marinade. the Salmon Brochette was also perfectly grilled. Both came with a salad that had really ripe tomatoes and cucumbers, a lemon dressing and white beans. Needless to say, we took a lot home and enjoyed it the next day! The wine selection was very good and reasonably priced. I would definately go back
- The chicken cigars for appetizerLunchDateVIPDined on 5/22/2013The chicken cigars for appetizer were amazing! Wild mushroom ricotta really tasty. The friends I dined with had the tuna, and they LOVED it. Friendly staff. Music was a bit loud, but the staff turned it down the second that we asked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/10/2013This little gem was a true find! The food was delicious & the service was outstanding. Went there for lunch with friends & we were shocked how quiet & not crowded it was. Midtown is missing out! I can't say enough about the attentiveness of the wait staff. Can't wait to go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and UniqueMazmanVIPDined on 5/1/2013Fun and unique spot for drinks and small plates. Would not recommend for dinner since it has a ver limited menu for full course entrees. Decor was very dark, middle eastern and exotic. They had Arabic dancing periodically which made it a fun and lively bar scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A slice of Morocco in mid townOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/1/2013For lunch it was really low key and quite. Must be a lot busier for dinner. Food was very tasty. Many middle estaern and moroccan dishes. If going with a group then share several small plates. the small plates are not that small by the way. serive was very friendly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.