Arabelle at the Hotel Plaza Athenee
37 E. 64th St.
New York, NY 10065Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
Arabelle at the Hotel Plaza Athenee
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.arabellerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2126064647
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast Daily: 6:30am - 11:00am; Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 2:15pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Tyson Jordan
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, High Tea, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Private parties for up to 100.
- Private Party Facilities: Intimate private dining room for parties of up to 20. Elegant banquet room, Le Trianon, for up to 100.
- Private Party Contact: Mary Cawley 2126064663
- Special Events: Weddings, rehearsal dinners and private party facilities available. Special menu offered for Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Mother's Day and Easter.
A word from Arabelle at the Hotel Plaza Athenee
Arabelle at The Hotel Plaza Athenee features modern American cuisine in a contemporary, elegant setting. A gorgeous room with a gold-domed ceiling is the backdrop for our innovative menu. A la carte and prix fixe menus options are available. Highly rated in Zagat 2012.Bar Seine is as romantic as they come.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Arabelle at the Hotel Plaza Athenee - Best Restaurants in Upper East Side ›
Arabelle at the Hotel Plaza Athenee reviews from OpenTable diners
31 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelQuiet
romantic (21)special occasion (20)fit for foodies (10)neighborhood gem (8)notable wine list (5)great for lunch (3)good for groups (3)vibrant bar scene (3)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Bait and SwitchTheTruthIsVIPDined on 8/13/2014Be careful, Arabelle at the Hotel Plaza Athene baits you by advertising 1,000 point reservations and then switches it to 100. Also, they didn't want to accept my OpenTable check. I booked a 1,000 point lunch for two at Arabelle at the Hotel Plaza Athene. Even though I clicked the 1,000 point “label”, when I printed out the reservation it showed I’d only get 100 points. So I tried it again to test to see if I’d made a mistake. Once again it went from 1000 to 100 points. We dined at Arabelle at the Hotel Plaza Athene that day. We partially paid our bill with a $100.00 OpenTable check. When we were walking out a waiter came up to us saying they don’t take the check. I firmly disagreed. Had I been with a client not a best friend it would ha...
- Bad foodPinkeyDined on 8/12/2014For such an elegant hotel, the food is unacceptable
- Very PrettyLyv2dineDined on 8/7/2014Went here for restaurant week menu. Food was very good. Wait staff and kitchen were very accommodating to our daughters food allergies making our overall experience positive and fun. We want to return for high tea!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JanetVIPDined on 8/4/2014Everything about Arabelle was more than great, it was incredible. Fine dining at it's best. Best of all the noise level (since my husband has a hearing deficit. Restaurant week was a perfect opportunity for us to try, else it would probably too expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/2/2014Very nice experience, except for a slight mishap. A waiter accidentally knocked over a glass of iced tea on one of our party. The response was immediate in changing chairs, mopping up, etc and then the manager came to apologize. She was wonderful and made us all feel well taken care of. Wonderful dessert was sent out, including a special birthday one for the celebrant. I will absolutely return and recommend Arabelle to all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A beautiful spaceVeggiegirlDined on 8/1/2014I went to the Hotel Athenee the other night with four friends of mine for Restaurant Week. We sat in the Bar Seine for a while first and were treated like queens. The service was amazing and the drinks were lovely. We really liked their take on sangria. The restaurant was incredibly beautiful! I felt like we were in a hotel in Paris. Again the service was impeccable. Most of the food was very good. I found that the sea bass was very underseasoned but everything else was delicious. Mind blowing ambiance but not mind blowing food. Still I would go back for a special occasion or to try the brunch.Special Features:
- An Elegant Dinnerhjk522Dined on 8/1/2014I returned this month for restaurant week to see if I remembered my experience correctly. The restaurant is elegant and very quiet. The food was good but not really remarkable. I enjoyed my evening.Special Features:
- Nice Vibespb293Dined on 7/29/2014It was a nice experience that I enjoyed. The staff was attentive and sometimes a little too attentive but otherwise great dinner.Special Features:
- A Quiet elegant oasisOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/28/2014How wonderful to go to a restaurant that is spacious with an elegant ambience. It allows you the luxury of being able to hear your companions talk. One doesn't have to scream above a loud din which is supposed to stand for a festive atmosphere. A rare gem in the city.Special Features:
- Nice, quiet and great food.Ravik07Dined on 7/26/2014Had a great time. Nothing to complain about. Food was excellent.Special Features:
- Elegant DiningFirebirdVIPDined on 7/25/2014The dining room was gorgeous, the food was delicious, and our waiter was knowledgable and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrendous placeAnnyVIPDined on 7/25/2014I made reservations for 5 people to celebrate the birthday of a friend. We arrived 5 minutes earlier than the 2 o'clock reservation. We wanted 1:45 but Open Table indicated that only 2 o'clock was available. The restaurant was completely empty. The last table just left as we entered. The old maitre d', Antonio, announced as we were taking our seats that we should hurry up because they are closing at 2:00. One of our friends was late and I asked if she were late, she would not be served? He proceeded to say that we should order for her, but luckily she came "on time". This set the entire tone of the lunch. Needless to say we will never again dine at Arabelle's. No one should.
- Entertaining....chuckVIPDined on 7/23/2014The bar area had smooth jazz music playing while conversations still could be had. The restaurant was nice and the wait staff very accommodating. The room should be less lit and there was an air-conditioning issue in the bar area. Otherwise, I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Beautiful elegant Restaurant & BarNikki10023VIPDined on 7/23/2014Ate there last week. Chose Restaurant Week menu. 3 choices per course. Had Tomato Tart w Chevre, Stripped Bass (portion smallish) & Berries w Sorbet. No drinks. Food lovely, service prompt but indifferent. Both the restaurant and bar are elegant, formal & glamorous. This did not deter anyone from wearing jeans. I might go there again on a special occasion. Love to hang out in their bar if I drank. Bar is completely separate from the restaurant.. .Special Features:
- ExcellentAprilDined on 7/23/2014It's difficult to looking good food, more difficult to looking and tasty. Arablle has something beautiful tasty.Special Features:
- beautiful setting/minimal fooddoctorfoodDined on 7/21/2014great setting, clean, beautiful, clasic;; tasty food well presented; quantiti was minute-real nouvelle cuisine- great if you are on diet and want your dinners under 200 cal.- portion size was a joke. I had a lot of delicious bread and butter to make up for non existant meal.Special Features:
- Perfect for meeting an Old FriendJuleinnyDined on 7/18/2014Because I was meeting an old friend who seldom comes to Town, we wanted somewhere quiet where we could chit chat, not being bothered. This was a perfect choice. New York City is really empty during the weekends in the Summer, but Arabelle would have been a lovely setting, even during the week. The food, service and atmosphere were splendid. Light, lovely and bursting with flavor delights, it will be a "go to" in the future.Special Features:
- So pretentiousMJTHDined on 6/12/2014I went there for a work lunch, but the staff kept treating us (a group of young females) like we didn't belong. One server in particular kept going out of his way to make us uncomfortable, essentially trying to teach us how to eat at the table. I wanted to tell him to get out of our faces, we know how to eat at a restaurant, but the whole thing was so awkward. The place was also empty so we couldn’t speak without our voices carrying over the entire room.
- Enchanting and ElegantDowntonDined on 6/7/2014For months, I looked for an opulent, elegant restaurant in NYC that served dinner in the style to which I have become accustomed, i.e., white linens on the table, chandeliers, crystal, silver flatware, a mature and attentive wait staff. We were staying at The Plaza Hotel, but there was no dinner restaurant there. Todd English's Food Hall was a joke, as was the St. Regis King Bar and Salon and the Waldorf Astoria Steak house. There was nothing elegant, until a good friend recommended Arabelle at the Plaza Athenée. WOW!! What a restaurant!! It harkens back to the days of elegance and regal environment. It's not for the ultra-modern superficial leather and chrome crowd. I was spellbound. The food was great!! The wait staff was superb!!Special Features:
- The following 295 reviews are from the Arabelle at the Hotel Plaza Athenee reviews archive.
- A classicOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/15/2014Returned to Arabelle after some time, and was not disappointed. Loved the savory mix of flavors of the roasted salmon, and the delicious finish of a tarte tatin, did not disappoint. Beautiful, timeless atomosphere, and attentive service made our dinner perfect.Special Features:
- IMHO, this is an underratedOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/8/2014IMHO, this is an underrated restaurant, especially if you are attracted to a place with Old World elegance and formality. The food is consistently excellent, the service is superb and the setting is pefect for a intimate and romantic meal. This will never win an award for being trendy or a hot spot, but many of us are not looking for that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The TruthThetruthVIPDined on 2/14/2014This was really Poor. I eat out quite a bit, at very nice places. I would never go back again. Mediocre at best in every category. When you book on opentable, you'll often see availability at this restaurant. Now I know why.
- This would be a terrific restaurantJtheGourmetVIPDined on 1/24/2014This would be a terrific restaurant if you were not needing to eat. Some dishes are ok, but the menu looks more like room service (as tastes accordingly). Service is superb, the room is charming, and the noise level is minimal for New York. It is so pleasant; all they need is a chef.
- Tourist-trap mentalityNYCgourmetVIPDined on 12/28/2013Beautiful room and menu--but union staff and inflexible customer service made for stressful and unenjoyable meal. Obviously a good chef, but why was it empty but for our table at 12:30pm on a Saturday? Because they have no idea how to make guests feel comfortable and happy. Ordering the prix fixe lunch? The four courses will all come out at once "bento-box" style. Since when does a French restaurant refer to its service as bento box? We should've left then. So your soup and entree and sides and dessert will all come out at the same time. The staff tried their best, but they were griping about vacation days and who was off and so on-- right by our table! And must we ask for more water when there's no one else there to serve?
- CostOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/24/2013Cost for special Christmas Even dinner was way too high, but selections were good.Special Features:
- You are paying for the locationMiamiDinerVIPDined on 12/14/2013This food is very "tired". The prices are the same as top-tier restaurants (couch as Daniel, on e block away) but don't even come close. The food quality is OK for a neighborhood restaurant. I would only eat there if no other choice. Thats too bad, because the hotel is great and in a great location. The service staff is wonderful. MAke everyone feel welcome and are very efficient.Special Features:
- Elegant and SereneEmilySeaLyonsDined on 8/15/2013Went to Arabelle for restaurant week, early because we were going to the theatre. Excellent value and choices for this event. Wine list was expensive, but doable. Superb service and attention to our group overall, particularly because it's August in NYC and we were early, so the dining room wasn't yet full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food, prepared by ChefmarielleDined on 8/15/2013The food, prepared by Chef Tyson is excellent; as well as the service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OK - expected exceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/14/2013The food was good - but waiter took my order and never came to check on me. The only time he came back to the table was when he presented the check - thought this was a huge negative to my experience. First time there - not sure I'm coming back. Base service expectation not met.
- Friendly and refined service...PreTheaterPickDined on 8/13/2013Friendly and refined service in elegant surroundings. A relaxed atmosphere in a traditional setting that was warm, quiet, and attractive. The service was extremely attentive without any intrusiveness at all. Fortunately, the food was as elegant and nicely prepared as was appropriate for such a lovely setting. We has a roasted Hake over potatoes and vegetables and our guests had an organic chicken breast. Both dishes were perfectly cooked. The appetizers of risotto, carrot soup, and salads were likewise delicious as were the deserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A kind, somewhat old-fashionedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/8/2013A kind, somewhat old-fashioned place - spacious, happily quiet, attentive service. The food is decent if not outstanding. I'd go back any minute.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor performance on Restaurant WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/7/2013If your idea of restaurant week is to serve sub-par food, then you should not participate. While the bread was warm and the risotto ok, the hake fish was inedible (stringy fish, soggy "crust") and the unseasoned grilled vegetables offered as a "vegetarian course" were shameful. The kind, attentive wait staff made every effort to make up for the chef's mistakes, e.g. when asked for some sort of seasoning/sauce for this plate of grilled vegetables, the chef repositioned them on the plate and sent out a bottle of oil and vinegar. (Clearly, they had no vegetarian option despite advising that they could accommodate.)
- A Great Findhjk522Dined on 8/2/2013This has got to be one of the nicest restaurant finds. Quiet, elegant, and the food was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisasterOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/29/2013Order arrived wrong despite telling the waiter that it had been wrong the last time we were there ... Billing was horrid - bill not divided between 2 credit cards, one card was not returned, whole amount was applied to 1 card ... Despite consulting with the Mgr. my credit card was charged the full amount PLUS the restaurant added a 20% tip!!!! Outrageous!
- Arabelle is all classOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 7/25/2013The best looking room I've seen in NYC. And the food was dazzling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotnyctosfVIPDined on 7/25/2013This place is a quite and relaxing spot. I like the elegant ambiance and décor of the restaurant. It's also a good place for a good cup of coffee and deep conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/24/2013Michelin-starred classic restaurant participating in Restaurant Week with romantic atmosphere at the Plaza Athene? We were excited, but the limited menu was a bit disappointing. Everything was good, but neither unusual or impressive. Service was superb.
- very small choice of entreesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/23/2013only 2 entrees on the restaurant week menu, Extremely expensive drinks and tea or coffeeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was good. Only oneStarvingSteveDined on 7/19/2013The food was good. Only one other table occupied. Dinner was astonishingly expensive - $245 for dinner for two, with two appetizers, two glasses of wine one coffee, and no dessert. Oh, t was very quiet.
- Changing of the seasonsWrldtrvlrDined on 7/5/2013I started visiting this restaurant because the reviews, both good and bad showed the true quality of the establishment. The bad reviews were always the result of the customers who didn't understand the tradition and etiquette the staff were steeped in. Through all the changes, the staff have remained the same with only one addition I have noticed. The professionalism, quality and tradition here are rich and inviting to anyone and a welcome change to the rushed, untimed, and in appropriately sized portions of most American restaurants. I will continue to visit this gem as long as it maintains the value of tradition and the warmth of authenticity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.