569 Tremont Street
Boston, MA 02118Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.aquitaineboston.com/
- Phone: (617) 424-8577
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 9:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, French
- Executive Chef: Bob Krajewki
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: customized menu available
- Private Party Facilities: Aquitaine is available for LUNCH starting at $20/person and Dinner starting at $30/person (both prices exclude alcoholic beverages, tax and tip). We can accommodate both semi-private dining and private dining for groups of 10-75 people. Our sister restaurant Cinquecento, an Italian trattoria also located in the South End with its own free parking lot has a private room that holds up to 48 for seated dinner and 75 for cocktail receptions 617-338-9500.
- Private Party Contact: Scott Toney 6174248577x
- Special Events: Available for LUNCH starting at $20/person and Dinner starting at $30/person (both prices exclude alcoholic beverages, tax and tip). We accommodate both semi-private dining and private dining for groups of 10-75 people. Call 617-424-8577 for more info.
A word from Aquitaine
Award winning Parisian inspired French bistro located in the heart of Boston's South End, overlooking historic Tremont Street.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Aquitaine reviews from OpenTable diners
147 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (88)fit for foodies (82)special occasion (53)romantic (51)great for brunch (45)notable wine list (36)great for lunch (25)hot spot (25)good for groups (18)late-night find (12)vibrant bar scene (7)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- The best food and drinks in the South EndOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/19/2014Between the excellent French food, plus Maggie and Ludgie as servers and bartenders, Aquitaine is one of the best restaurants in the South End. The bartista drink is spectacular, the cobb and steak salads are heavenly, and the service is great. Aquitaine functions equally well for brunch on the weekends, late night dinner or weekday business lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BarbVIPDined on 11/14/2014We came because open table menu said there was pasta and meatballs on menu. Very disappointed not available. Bolognese rigatoni was a pale version of the real thing, short on flavor. Grilled chicken with balsamic glazed veg arrived Cajun and a huge swath of pesto. Dish didn't come together at all! Flatbread arrived as lumpen mess of chicken and who knows what because all covered with too much cheese. Nothing delicate about it.
- "French food crtic"FoodloverDined on 11/11/2014I'm a French food lover, and I usually explore around to search for good food. The appetizer is excellent, especially the lobster bisque, escargots, and foie gras. I'm really impress with it. It was way beyond my expectation. However, the entree really disappoint me. It was one of the worst entree I ever had. Ingredients were unmatch, taste are too ordinary, technique of cooking hake is definitely not there. The standard of entree is way below a fancy restaurant should have. Desserts was scrumptious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to celebrate!JulesDGDined on 11/9/2014We have come for brunch and for all sorts of family celebrations. The atmosphere is cozy and welcoming. We love coming here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't copy Balthazar in NYCOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/8/2014waited 20 minutes for a 7:30pm reservation. Wine list is very overpriced. Barely any wines in the $45-range. Majority $60 and over. Endive salad was excellent; escargot - how can a restaurant ruin those! Steak Frites, ordered medium, delivered rare with some glop of sauce on that destroyed a fairly decent piece of meat. A very small piece of meat i may add. This should be their signature dish!. Cannot compete with NYC Balthazar , PASTIS, or anything else of this type . Would not return. HOT SPOT??? i think not.Special Features:
- Delicious Lunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/7/2014My dining companion and I both had the Steak Salad and it was terrific. I live in the neighborhood and love returning to this place over and over again.Special Features:
- noisy but worth itreenieDined on 11/6/2014If you don't mind a noisy background, this restaurant is a great pick. The food and the service were beyond reproach the sea bass and it was excellent. One big problem is choosing from a fabulous menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good service but...MimiVIPDined on 11/5/2014The service was quite good but food oversalted and kitchen very smoky. All of our clothes smelled when we left.Special Features:
- Good for brunch before CalderwoodSuburbanfoodieDined on 11/2/2014Food was fine but I've had better Eggs Benedict. We went for brunch before going to calderwood theatre and its location near the theatre is probably one of the only reasons if recommend it. I will go back to check out another dish however.I would recommend this to a friend.
- AquitaineDineOutOftenVIPDined on 10/31/2014Aquitaine is a great neighborhood restaurant. A terrific place if you are going to the Calderwood. Small but very comfortable. The service was fabulous and the waiters and management were very attentive to our needs. We had a schedule to meet and they were very helpful in that regard - calling us ahead, checking with us about time as the food came out, managing payment, etc. The appetizers were terrific, the entrees were good and the desserts were poor. This view was shared by the four of us. All things considered, we would certainly go back to try Aquitaine again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pre/post theatre menuoutonthetownDined on 10/30/2014My husband and I had a wonderful three course meal before the theatre in the South End. The selection was excellent and the price extremely reasonable. We love the bistro atmosphere and the friendly efficient service. The food did not disappoint. We will be going back in a few weeks with friends.Special Features:
- foodyDined on 10/29/2014The staff and service were great, but the food though good, could have been better.
- Service is below parOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/26/2014The food itself is great; I just wish the eggs bennies were still hot when I got them. The hostess kept us waiting a while even though our table was ready, no one came by to get us waters, no one checked up on our food, many plates were left at the pass to get cold, and they just gave us the check without asking if we wanted to get dessert (we did), and it took them a while to get the check. Small service shortcomings that added up to a less stellar experience than it could have been
- If you can stand it...sharonkingDined on 10/26/2014Starting with the positive: The food was good. We had a reservation for a tale for 2, at 12:30. At 12:50 we were standing in a 3-deep line waiting for a table where we could talk without having to shriek - the noise level was that good. To compound matters, the restaurant had some sort of background noise (you couldn't really call it music) running as well, so that a mature patron would want to leave as soon as possible. Even though the food was good, I will never go back there again.Special Features:
- Good neighborhood brunch spotMKNSWFDined on 10/26/2014We've been here many times and it never disappoints, but it also doesn't thrill us like it used too. Brunch was good: Eggs benedict delicious. French toast tasty but my husband said it was cold (but good). Wait person was good; seemed impatient or annoyed at times (was it us?) Not looking to make friends with our wait person, but I think you know what I mean. The feeling was a little rushed when someone at our table ordered coffee (you want coffee now?) and as we wrapped up our stay... Oh well, we'll probably go back.Special Features:
- Excelent italianJoemartDined on 10/26/2014From the moment we enter the restaurant we notice are going to be a perfect celebration. Service, food and wine was excelent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bonbonDined on 10/23/2014We all enjoyed the Pris Fixe dinner. Our waitress was fast talking, efficient, energetic and very pleasant. Since we were going to the theater, we asked if we had time for all three courses and she assured us we did. Although we were a bit rushed at the end, we were able to enjoy our dinners. There were other theater-goers in the restaurant as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfectpoorstreetDined on 10/23/2014we got there early, before 5:30, and had a lovely wine/beer and ice water at the bar while the staff finished up their staff meal and readied the tables; when 5:30 came, one of our party of four was late... no problem for the restaurant... we put in our orders, including ordering for her... all wonderful, even considering that the restaurant immediately filled up with before-theater diners like ourselves. ... reasonable prices... three of us had the prix fixe ($29)... the bill came to $180 with tip and drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for brunchfkanDined on 10/19/2014Aquitaine has a great brunch menu with very reasonable prices. Ambiance in the right spot between elegant and casualSpecial Features:
- Perfect pre-theatercaryndVIPDined on 10/18/2014Reserved early for dinner before walking up to the theatre. Food and service were great as always but I had to compliment the staff on how well they handled our delayed entrees from the kitchen.Waiter and manager sincerely apologetic and invited us to come back after the show so my husband could enjoy his dessert w/out being rushed . We did walk back at around 11 and were seated for coffee and dessert. The dining room was still busy and it was a sort of festive pleasant ending to the eveningSpecial Features:
- brunchNorthCountryGirlDined on 10/18/2014lovely Saturday morning brunch. delicious food. good coffee. nice mimosa. lively atmosphere. just French enough.Special Features:
- John F & Aquitaine - AWESOME Combobkg42Dined on 10/14/2014Once again, thanks to John F for being the BEST server in the South End. I qualify as "in the South End" because, with so many fabulous restaurants in the 'hood, I don't have to search outside to get incredible dining. Earlier this week, I had a networking dinner... where else would I go but to Aquitaine? Whom else would I request as server but John F? Sorry to all the other great servers at Aquitaine who take such good care of me when John is not working, you too are at the top of the game. Just expressing my gratitude as it makes sense. Brian G. Resident of Union Park since 1990.Special Features:
- great place, good foodfrankDined on 10/11/2014We had a great time here. Our only complaint was that there were out of several dishes. Two of the dishes that they were out of were dishes that no French place should be out of (especially on a Saturday night). Such as the escargot and Foie gras.Special Features:
- An exceptional mealBillCVIPDined on 10/9/2014We had not been to Aquitaine for a number of years and remembered it as a good but not outstanding restaurant. We would now rank it one of the best in the Boston area. My wife had the special pasta of the day (with lobster) -- they make the pasta fresh daily - and I had the endive salad followed by the short ribs. Everything --including the small puff pastry served first - was exceptionally delicious and attractively served. Also our terrific waiter had me taste two red wines (I was just ordering one glass) to see which I preferred. Also, he would not serve me a decaf coffee immediately after dinner because he wanted to make a fresh pot to be sure it was not stale.
- fun place, disappointing servicesarahaDined on 10/5/2014We had reservations for 4 at 12 and weren't sat until 12:30. I understand that these things happen, but I an apology from an employee would have gone a long way. Instead I kept being told that the party before us just received their bill and that it would only be 2 minutes.
- South-end Standard2togoVIPDined on 9/30/2014Neighborhood Gem perfectly describes this place. If you lived nearby you'd probably dine here several times a week. If you're visiting Boston it's a great alternative to a big/loud impersonal steakhouse chain restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunchBf410Dined on 9/28/2014Luckily we had a reservation for Sunday brunch as the wait for a table was an hour due to the Red Sox/Yankees series being in town. We were seated within 5 minutes of our reservation/arrival and the food was fantastic. One complaint would be that we were left with menus and water for a good 15 minutes before a waiter came to take our order, but the restaurant was busy and our service was good other than that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What happened to our favorite spot?Cook4MeVIPDined on 9/21/2014We have been going to Aquitaine for brunch on and off for the last 8 years or so and this is the first time we've been disappointed. Fake maple syrup being served? This isn't IHOP after all, the least we would expect is to have real maple syrup served with our French toast (which was amazing, as usual). Though real maple syrup was served on the side in a tiny bottle, the one that came with the pancakes was fake. My husband got the Omelette Marocain, and while the sauce was really good, the sausage in the omelet was completely tasteless (and had no harissa spice that we can tell). We'll give Aquitaine another try for old times sake, but this was very disappointing. On the plus side, ambiance was nice as usual, and service was good.
- Great foodJleiboVIPDined on 9/19/2014Our first time here. Food was very good, although the drinks were tiny and we felt a poor value. They were so small that when they came we thought it was a shot not our mixed drinks. Too bad as that really forced us to stop ordering drinks and put a damper on our night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Aquitaine always delivers!GavinMVIPDined on 9/19/2014Back for a visit this weekend in Boston and had a fabulous dinner at Aquitaine. Superb food, good value and excellent service. Try the Filet au poivre for one of the best meals in the city. Thanks Eric and team!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favoritessusgkVIPDined on 9/19/2014We love this place and return again and again. Great food, friendly service, reasonable prices.Special Features:
- Great as usualdapersDined on 9/14/2014Dined at Aquitaine on a Sunday evening. We had an early (6:30) reservation after a matinee show. We were seated immediately upon arrival. Servce was great - good suggestions for wine to have with our dinner. The "theatre" Prix Fixe menu was excellent and a very good value. Nice low key atmosphere and a great meal.
- I like this place a lotOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/14/2014I will say I'm often under impressed with their wine list/prices on wine but the food is phenomenal... I honestly think it's the best steak I've had in BostonSpecial Features:
- PhilipPhilipVIPDined on 9/10/2014A South End treasure....always great service and a delicious meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- slouis83VIPDined on 9/7/2014Typically, I love this restaurant but this time the waiter was unattentive. He did not check on us until the very end of the meal when we were clearly finished. he then took awhile to bring over the check and didn't even run our cards as the manager handled it for him.Special Features:
- Always delightfulLaurieDined on 9/7/2014This place does everything right. The cocktails and food are always perfect they make it seem easy in a casuall, relaxed but elegant atmosphereSpecial Features:
- Perfect for LunchStephVIPDined on 9/3/2014Always great food and the atmosphere is perfect for business or the occasional lunch out for retirees. The sophisticated lunch place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/1/2014While I have no complaints about the food or service, on a hot humid day, it is hotter inside the restaurant than outside. With only weak ceiling fans spinning, this upscale restaurant should really have AC so as not to make the dining experience miserably warm and sticky. Alternatively, go there in another season.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- richVIPDined on 8/30/2014Great food, great service, great atmosphere. My wife and I have be going to Aquitaine for many years and have never been disappointed. We had the tow lobster specials on the menu. Both were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/27/2014We dine here frequently. Experience is always excellentSpecial Features: