569 Tremont Street
Boston, MA 02118Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.aquitaineboston.com/
- Phone: 6174248577x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 9:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, French
- Executive Chef: Bob Krajewki
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: customized menu available
- Private Party Facilities: Aquitaine is available for LUNCH starting at $20/person and Dinner starting at $30/person (both prices exclude alcoholic beverages, tax and tip). We can accommodate both semi-private dining and private dining for groups of 10-75 people. Our sister restaurant Cinquecento, an Italian trattoria also located in the South End with its own free parking lot has a private room that holds up to 48 for seated dinner and 75 for cocktail receptions 617-338-9500.
- Private Party Contact: Scott Toney 6174248577x
- Special Events: Available for LUNCH starting at $20/person and Dinner starting at $30/person (both prices exclude alcoholic beverages, tax and tip). We accommodate both semi-private dining and private dining for groups of 10-75 people. Call 617-424-8577 for more info.
A word from Aquitaine
Award winning Parisian inspired French bistro located in the heart of Boston's South End, overlooking historic Tremont Street.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
Aquitaine - Best Restaurants in South End ›
Aquitaine reviews from OpenTable diners
136 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (79)fit for foodies (74)great for brunch (50)special occasion (49)romantic (45)notable wine list (36)great for lunch (21)hot spot (21)good for groups (15)late-night find (10)vibrant bar scene (6)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- perfectpoorstreetDined on 10/23/2014we got there early, before 5:30, and had a lovely wine/beer and ice water at the bar while the staff finished up their staff meal and readied the tables; when 5:30 came, one of our party of four was late... no problem for the restaurant... we put in our orders, including ordering for her... all wonderful, even considering that the restaurant immediately filled up with before-theater diners like ourselves. ... reasonable prices... three of us had the prix fixe ($29)... the bill came to $180 with tip and drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for brunchfkanDined on 10/19/2014Aquitaine has a great brunch menu with very reasonable prices. Ambiance in the right spot between elegant and casualSpecial Features:
- Perfect pre-theatercaryndVIPDined on 10/18/2014Reserved early for dinner before walking up to the theatre. Food and service were great as always but I had to compliment the staff on how well they handled our delayed entrees from the kitchen.Waiter and manager sincerely apologetic and invited us to come back after the show so my husband could enjoy his dessert w/out being rushed . We did walk back at around 11 and were seated for coffee and dessert. The dining room was still busy and it was a sort of festive pleasant ending to the eveningSpecial Features:
- brunchNorthCountryGirlDined on 10/18/2014lovely Saturday morning brunch. delicious food. good coffee. nice mimosa. lively atmosphere. just French enough.Special Features:
- John F & Aquitaine - AWESOME Combobkg42Dined on 10/14/2014Once again, thanks to John F for being the BEST server in the South End. I qualify as "in the South End" because, with so many fabulous restaurants in the 'hood, I don't have to search outside to get incredible dining. Earlier this week, I had a networking dinner... where else would I go but to Aquitaine? Whom else would I request as server but John F? Sorry to all the other great servers at Aquitaine who take such good care of me when John is not working, you too are at the top of the game. Just expressing my gratitude as it makes sense. Brian G. Resident of Union Park since 1990.Special Features:
- great place, good foodfrankDined on 10/11/2014We had a great time here. Our only complaint was that there were out of several dishes. Two of the dishes that they were out of were dishes that no French place should be out of (especially on a Saturday night). Such as the escargot and Foie gras.Special Features:
- An exceptional mealBillCVIPDined on 10/9/2014We had not been to Aquitaine for a number of years and remembered it as a good but not outstanding restaurant. We would now rank it one of the best in the Boston area. My wife had the special pasta of the day (with lobster) -- they make the pasta fresh daily - and I had the endive salad followed by the short ribs. Everything --including the small puff pastry served first - was exceptionally delicious and attractively served. Also our terrific waiter had me taste two red wines (I was just ordering one glass) to see which I preferred. Also, he would not serve me a decaf coffee immediately after dinner because he wanted to make a fresh pot to be sure it was not stale.
- fun place, disappointing servicesarahaDined on 10/5/2014We had reservations for 4 at 12 and weren't sat until 12:30. I understand that these things happen, but I an apology from an employee would have gone a long way. Instead I kept being told that the party before us just received their bill and that it would only be 2 minutes.
- South-end Standard2togoVIPDined on 9/30/2014Neighborhood Gem perfectly describes this place. If you lived nearby you'd probably dine here several times a week. If you're visiting Boston it's a great alternative to a big/loud impersonal steakhouse chain restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunchBf410Dined on 9/28/2014Luckily we had a reservation for Sunday brunch as the wait for a table was an hour due to the Red Sox/Yankees series being in town. We were seated within 5 minutes of our reservation/arrival and the food was fantastic. One complaint would be that we were left with menus and water for a good 15 minutes before a waiter came to take our order, but the restaurant was busy and our service was good other than that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What happened to our favorite spot?Cook4MeVIPDined on 9/21/2014We have been going to Aquitaine for brunch on and off for the last 8 years or so and this is the first time we've been disappointed. Fake maple syrup being served? This isn't IHOP after all, the least we would expect is to have real maple syrup served with our French toast (which was amazing, as usual). Though real maple syrup was served on the side in a tiny bottle, the one that came with the pancakes was fake. My husband got the Omelette Marocain, and while the sauce was really good, the sausage in the omelet was completely tasteless (and had no harissa spice that we can tell). We'll give Aquitaine another try for old times sake, but this was very disappointing. On the plus side, ambiance was nice as usual, and service was good.
- Great foodJleiboVIPDined on 9/19/2014Our first time here. Food was very good, although the drinks were tiny and we felt a poor value. They were so small that when they came we thought it was a shot not our mixed drinks. Too bad as that really forced us to stop ordering drinks and put a damper on our night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Aquitaine always delivers!GavinMVIPDined on 9/19/2014Back for a visit this weekend in Boston and had a fabulous dinner at Aquitaine. Superb food, good value and excellent service. Try the Filet au poivre for one of the best meals in the city. Thanks Eric and team!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favoritessusgkVIPDined on 9/19/2014We love this place and return again and again. Great food, friendly service, reasonable prices.Special Features:
- Great as usualdapersDined on 9/14/2014Dined at Aquitaine on a Sunday evening. We had an early (6:30) reservation after a matinee show. We were seated immediately upon arrival. Servce was great - good suggestions for wine to have with our dinner. The "theatre" Prix Fixe menu was excellent and a very good value. Nice low key atmosphere and a great meal.
- I like this place a lotOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/14/2014I will say I'm often under impressed with their wine list/prices on wine but the food is phenomenal... I honestly think it's the best steak I've had in BostonSpecial Features:
- PhilipPhilipVIPDined on 9/10/2014A South End treasure....always great service and a delicious meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- slouis83VIPDined on 9/7/2014Typically, I love this restaurant but this time the waiter was unattentive. He did not check on us until the very end of the meal when we were clearly finished. he then took awhile to bring over the check and didn't even run our cards as the manager handled it for him.Special Features:
- Always delightfulLaurieDined on 9/7/2014This place does everything right. The cocktails and food are always perfect they make it seem easy in a casuall, relaxed but elegant atmosphereSpecial Features:
- Perfect for LunchStephVIPDined on 9/3/2014Always great food and the atmosphere is perfect for business or the occasional lunch out for retirees. The sophisticated lunch place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/1/2014While I have no complaints about the food or service, on a hot humid day, it is hotter inside the restaurant than outside. With only weak ceiling fans spinning, this upscale restaurant should really have AC so as not to make the dining experience miserably warm and sticky. Alternatively, go there in another season.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- richVIPDined on 8/30/2014Great food, great service, great atmosphere. My wife and I have be going to Aquitaine for many years and have never been disappointed. We had the tow lobster specials on the menu. Both were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/27/2014We dine here frequently. Experience is always excellentSpecial Features:
- BEST EvermememeDined on 8/26/2014WE went to celebrate our anniversary and planned on spending $$ so knew it would be expensive. The steak au poivre was the best I have ever had in my life!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would RecommendjmorrDined on 8/25/2014We went for Boston Restaurant week to this restaurant, which we had heard of but never jumped to mind when we were planning a night out. We were not disappointed. The ambiance of a small, intimate restaurant was great, the server was friendly and attentive, and the food was great. We looked at the regular dinner menu as well, and noticed that a lot of the food looked good and reasonable. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food,iffy wine pairingW000Dined on 8/22/2014We booked at Aquitaine because we ha a gift card (and because we really like gaslight). Turns out it was restaurant week so we ended up ordering off of that menu. Food was great (especially the apps), but we felt the wine pairing didn't work. The rose didn't pair well with the onion tart (it deserved a red with all thy delicious cheese) and the red paired with the salmon was jus overpowering. So yeah... Probs just should've ordered a bottle of something, but it only detracted a little from the experience. Like I said, food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seems to be losing steamFooooodieVIPDined on 8/14/2014We love Aquitaine and frequent it often. We have noticed in the past months the quality of the food has declined. Food is bland and the presentation seems to have taken a step backwards. I had the olive crusted swordfish which was very dry and the flavors did not blend well. It really was a disappointment. My partner had the lobster bisque and again not close to what a lobster bisque should taste like. We are hoping that this is just a blip and that thing will improve. The service is always wonderful and it has always been one of our go to spots I would hate to give up on the place but the food really needs to improve.Special Features:
- Slower than normalKrisVIPDined on 8/10/2014My wife and I frequent Aquitaine for brunch and find it to be one of the best places in Boston considering the ambiance, food, service and price (especially the Prix Fixe menu). This weekend, the service was quite a bit slower. I imagine the restaurant was short staffed, but it took nearly 2 hours to get in and out with 3 people ordering from the Prix Fixe menu, rather than closer to 1 hour. I would still unequivocally recommend Aquitaine for brunch, but this experience wasn't quite the straight 5 star review I'm used to giving.Special Features:
- Not bad but overratedJoeNomadDined on 8/9/2014I picked Aquitaine for lunch based on reviews. I was expecting something more interesting and more authentic french. The menu doesn't really have french bistro character that I was expecting, just a regular item you could find in any upscale lunch/bar place. Only the setting is maybe similar to french bistro but the food was disappointing. The service was busy and not too helpful. Overall good place for a quick lunch but not worth a detour...Special Features:
- Neighborhood gem + great foodAoifeGraceDined on 8/8/2014A special shout out to the manager who set up the requested table for 4 near the front window in the South End Aquitaine. While I always enjoy the food here, on Friday in August, the fish and the special salad of tomato, cucumber, olives with a buttermilk swish on the side, were perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try too hard and failLaurieVIPDined on 8/6/2014The food was generally bland or not good. The worst was a strawberry shortcake for dessert. I could takes the granules of sugar in the whipped cream! The biscuit base was overly sweet and the strawberries were covered in a sugar sauce. The location and atmosphere are great. But it is a poor attempt to be a French bistro.
- AQUITAINELebevoVIPDined on 8/4/2014A neighborhood gem, the ideal spot for that leisurely business lunch.Special Features:
- A lovely brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/3/2014I had the pleasure of dining at Aquitaine for brunch last Sunday. The restaurant ambience was cute and quaint -- great for a girls' brunch -- and the food itself was very good. The service was great -- professional and yet personable. We'll be dining here again!Special Features:
- DeliciousAlebard65Dined on 8/3/2014The food at aquitaine was divine. I went in for a late dinner as well as an early brunch. Both were fantastic. They always made sure my drink was filled to the brim whether it was the coffee or the sparkling water and the service in general was fantastic. I got the arctic char and that was fantastic!! No complaints at allSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great choicecaryndVIPDined on 8/1/2014Perfect evening with great menu choices and everything well prepared. One star was deducted only because it became very hot in the dining room for my heat intolerable husband. We had a memorable dining experience for my daughters birthdaySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- richVIPDined on 7/31/2014Food was excellent, as always. Service was wonderful (Marsio is a great server). A great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going back to AquitaineAquitaineDomainDined on 7/30/2014I got my table at 8:30PM near a window - just perfectly using OpenTable. The service was efficient with the support staff making sure we were greeted and seated quickly. While the waiter was friendly, she was only initially attentive taking much more time to come in and check on our progress as the night progressed. I found myself rubber-necking several times to try and finder her. It was a busy night and she had at least 2 parties of 6 or more to work with - so that's probably why. The food was hot and delicious when delivered. The wine list, though limited completely impressed my French colleague. Valet parking was courteous and efficient as well. Overall it was a fine experience and priced appropriately. I'm definitely returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food - Poor serviceTinaKDined on 7/23/2014Had a 6:30 pm reservation. We were seated right away, but the service was so slow that we didn't finish our meals until 9:30pm. We waited at least 45 minutes after our soup and salads before our entrees were served. The waiter had to be asked three times to bring the dessert that was ordered at the beginning of the meal and part of a three-course dinner.
- DisapointmentDisapointmentVIPDined on 7/23/2014The quality of food has gone downhill over the past six months. Service and ambiance is great but the kitchen just can't seem to get it together. This is a French restaurant and the cooks cannot cook a steak correctly. Three times on separate occasions we have ordered steak and it is either overdone or underdone. The presentation and food selections do not come out looking appetizing. This used to be our neighborhood go-to restaurant but enough is enough.Special Features:
- Not what I expectedPharyDined on 7/21/2014We made reservations for a 9:30pm dinner. They closed at 10? Not sure if the food was cooked, rushed, but every appetizer I ate was either plain, no flavor, or really salty. We ordered the bone marrow, the foie gras, very disappointed, escargots, very salty, and another I can't recall. For my entree, I ordered the steak frites. The steak was cooked perfectly and the fries were probably the best thing we had at the table. I don't think I would go back. But I heard their brunch was goodSpecial Features: