65 East 55th Street
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
ScandinavianPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.aquavit.org/
- Phone: (212) 307-7311
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:45am -2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Wild Game, Scandinavian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Aquavit
Two Michelin-starred Aquavit, located in Midtown Manhattan showcases seasonal, Modern Nordic fare and has been a pioneer of Nordic cuisine since opening in 1987. The restaurant has an extensive wine list as well as an aquavit infusion and cocktail program. At lunch we offer an a la carte menu and a 3-course prix fixe for $48pp. At dinner we offer a 3-course prix fixe for $85pp, a 5-course seasonal tasting menu for $95pp and a 8-course chef's tasting menu for $135pp.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Aquavit reviews from OpenTable diners
91 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (64)special occasion (56)romantic (33)notable wine list (21)great for lunch (16)hot spot (12)neighborhood gem (9)good for groups (8)vibrant bar scene (4)great for outdoor dining (3)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- cleanTlklaVIPDined on 11/26/2014good quality seafood, but not special; sort of boring, it was ok for one meal, but i wouldn't go back
- Exceptional, memorable meal - one for the journal!KiscoQVIPDined on 11/15/2014I have enjoyed many a fine meal at many a fine restaurant in many places around the world. The experience at Aquavit is absolutely among the top few. We were six people, chose the mid-range tasting menu and were astounded time and again as each new delicacy was served. Must say I am not a huge fan of fungi, but the Heirloom Egg and Cultivated Mushrooms with Danish cheese, consomme and shaved truffles was transporting. Jess, our main server, was attentive and knowledgeable, the sommelier most helpful and Jeremy at the bar beforehand is a master at his craft. This has become a new tradition in our group and we all so look forward to another journey at Aquavit. Many thanks to Ms Bengtsson and her staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional foodBalletFanDined on 11/15/2014This Scandinavian gem serves superb meals based on uncommon ingredients and in a formal, but not stuffy, atmosphere. The service is impeccable shout being pretentious or intrusive. It is a bit pricey, but worth it. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomePookVIPDined on 11/8/2014Finally made it and worth the wait, stellar! Every course was better than the last creative, beautiful, layered flavors, just brilliant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AWesomejc45Dined on 11/8/2014Very accommodating to my dietary restrictions, and the service was top-notch. It was everything you'd expect from a michelin starred restaurant and more. Will definitely recommend it to friends and will be back for special occasions.Special Features:
- Paradise of flavorsNjoydinningDined on 11/6/2014The food and service are impeccable and delicious. Best dinner ever!Special Features:
- Scandinavian experienceParkroadDined on 11/6/2014I was visiting New York for very short period, wanted to treat myself a good lunch. The set menu was simple but good. Deco I quite like, but that tall let her chair is real no no. The exterior is not very attractive but not much they can do, I understand. I had eaten better Scandinavian restaurant, still I quite liked this placeSpecial Features:
- MimiNYCDined on 11/4/2014Great fall tasting menu and stylish presentation of the Scandinavian cuisine. As a Scandinavian visitor this restaurant offers great overlook of the very best of not only tastes from the Nordics but also design; such as Alvar Aalto vases on the tables or well-known design chairs in the bar area. It was our first visit in a Michelin starred restaurant and did not leave us disappointed as regards the culinary and service experience we had in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2014I took my girlfriend here for her birthday. Everything about the place was spectacular. The ambiance, the service, the wine, and the food were all very impressive.Special Features:
- Alan SchwimmerOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/31/2014Very unsatisfactory. Would not return. Very overrated
- Good qualitybrkgnyVIPDined on 10/29/2014Gravlax and halibut was amazing. Banana mousse is not successful. Staffes are professionalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service and food.GreatExperienceVIPDined on 10/23/2014My girl friend and I had dinner there on a Thursday night. We had the chef's tasting menu. It was our first time doing something like this. The chef made accommodations on the tasting given we don't eat seafood. Everything was fantastic, especially the service. We would definitely recommend the place for a special night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently lovelyRTSADined on 10/22/2014Great for a quiet lunch. Comfortable surroundings, attentive service, wonderful food. Guest can connect and focus on each other without silly distractions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Even better than ever!semmynycVIPDined on 10/20/2014This is one of my favorite restaurants, and I use it always as a safe choice. I feel that the food is getting better and better! No wonder why they got one more star added to their Michelin star ranking. Loved everything. I had a Fall Tasting this time (the Chef Tasting menu is just too much food for me). The blue egg with mushrooms in mushroom broth was heavenly! And, all the rest was also deceivingly simple looking with burst of flavors while not-fooled-around-too-much top quality ingredients made wonderful harmony. Always love the petit fours and cookies they give out when I leave. Great with coffee/tea the next day. The service was great, as always, and the wine paring was very interesting and refreshing choice of wines.Special Features:
- Terrific for LunchLawSuitDined on 10/17/2014This was my first visit to Aquavit for lunch, and it was terrific. The food is just as complex and interesting as at dinner, the service is impeccable and the room is comfortable and quiet. It's not cheap, but it's a great place for a quiet business lunch for two or three people.Special Features:
- ArtguyVIPDined on 10/15/2014Outstanding Fall tasting menu and service. I am not a fan of eating off a place mat and prefer table cloth. Chairs were a little uncomfortable and they try to adjust them with a wrap over the backing of some. Basically, the ambiance tampered the great food and service. Temperature was cold and drafty in our location
- My favorite restaurant in midtownL0la132VIPDined on 10/10/2014Stunning food, professional and welcoming service, a serene room in which conversation is possible. Complex but never pretentious flavor combinations beautifully presented. The second Michelin star they just earned was well deserved. I look forward to going back again and again.Special Features:
- GreatJackDined on 10/7/2014Outstanding service and food...worthy of the Michlin rating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Ever!!!gourmandVIPDined on 10/4/2014Aquavit did not disappoint in any way. The food was outstanding. The wait staff was excellent and personable. The "extras" including the amuse bouche were blissful, delicious surprises. The ambience was perfect. I will dine there again while in NYC. Kudos to the chef and staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Christian InSebastianDined on 10/3/2014The food was a magical culinary experience! Highly recomend the tasting menu. If you do the eight course tasting menu which we did give yourself about three hours. My wife and I were truly amazed by all aspects of the dinning experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off the chartsCitygirl1Dined on 10/2/2014Our dining experience started with us being seated at a comfortable banquette. The servers were all professional; friendly without being overly intrusive or familiar. The food is magnificent. We ordered the fall tasting menu. All of the small "amuse bouche" courses were perfect and really interesting. Haysmoke wafting from a covered soup dish; caviar on homemade potato chips with a side of quail eggs (to name only two of them). Heaven. The chef accommodated one diner ordering a substitute course, which is not typical in NYC restaurants. Every single dish was beautiful, delicious, unusual and something I would likely not attempt at home. And the price was an amazing value. Remember for special occasions. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- Outstanding in every regardKirovkidVIPDined on 9/12/2014Flawless service, sophisticated food beautifully presented. It has been several years since we here, and I would award the current restaurant 2 Michelin stars. We will return soon.Special Features:
- First Rate FoodfilmmakerfoodieDined on 9/12/2014This is one of the three top restaurants in New York. We have been to Aquavit a number of times. The food is exceptional, the service is perfect. It is one of the few expensive restaurants in NY where I have felt that the food was well worth the price.Special Features:
- Very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/9/2014The food was very good, but I miss the old location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent summer tasting menupetitefleurDined on 8/30/2014The summer tasting menu was sensational. The combination of flavors and ingredients was very pleasing and original. It started with a couple of excellent amuse bouche among which the smoked fish was incredible. Pouring the veloute over the fish released amazing flavor. The following dishes were equally interesting. I enjoyed very much the heirloom tomatoes with green sorrel, diver scallop with sea urchin and the delightful braised lamb with superb accompaniments . The ambiance and furnishing are interesting. The round tables or the small rectangle ones seemed nice. The big rectangle desks and chairs remind me of an office or bank setting and are not that comfortable. Perhaps this is part of the Scandinavian experience they aim to create.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "experience" the mealSimpletonDined on 8/30/2014Small but comfortable space with an understated decor. Being that there were only 12 or 13 total tables, we were well taken care of by the multiple waiters and servers who all covered for each other seamlessly. My wife and I knew we were going to be having the the summer sampler with wine paring so we did not order a pre-dinner drink. This led to the only awkward moments of the night. Before the first menu item and wine pairing arrived, we were served multiple small plates that were not listed on the menu. We felt a bit naked without a drink, but the surprise plates were awesome. Hay smoked corn with trout roe and truffle. mmmm. Food, drink, service, surprise dishes throughout night made dinner a 2 1/2 hour wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scandinavian eclecticOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/30/2014We enjoyed a rare treat for our anniversary. The attention was kind & courteous. The food was truly " presented".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Petit Gateau Foie GrasKikoDined on 8/30/2014I went to the restaurant to have the signature dish created by Marcus Samuelsson. Unfortunately it was not more in the Menu. The amuse-buches were very good. The Entrée and the main course good. The fromage very good. The desert good. There was a small kid crying loudly almost all the time in a large group. It made the environment unbearable. It doesn't make sense that all the other clients have to support this kind of situation.Special Features:
- "Don't know how to cook fish"RC4UVIPDined on 8/30/2014I took my sister visiting NYC who is a vegetarian and knows her fish very well. She picked Aquavit because of their expertise in fish. But she was served with an undercooked wild striped bass that had the traces of blood in the middle of the fish. What was worst it was served to her the second time still undercooked.
- Great innovativeKathleenDined on 8/22/2014We enjoyed the summer tasting menu. The fish dishes were amazing. The service was impeccable and they were open to changes and adjustments that needed to be made for allergies, etc. I was impressed with the presentation of the food and the flavors. Each dish was explained well.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceTarHeelTravelerDined on 8/16/2014My wife and I visited Aquavit on a trip to NYC. It was our first time ever eating a Michelin-starred restaurant. The star was well-earned and it was truly a wonderful experience. (Notice I said "experience" and not just "meal".) We had the chef's tasting menu at $135 per person. A good bit more expensive than we normally spend on our dinners, but truly worth it. The flavors and textures of the food were sublime and the courses were well-ordered and well-paced. Haute Scandinavian cuisine isn't something you see very often, but Aquavit managed to take the best of Scandinavia and pack it into a great seven course meal. A word about the service: it was first class. They anticipated their guests' needs and were professional and courteous.Special Features:
- Babette's Feast at AquavitOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/8/2014Everything about Aquavit was beyond our high expectations. We opted for the summer tasting menu and could not have been more pleased with each course. Many gustatory and olfactory treats greeted us with each element of the meal. Although our waiter was quite good, the support staff was even better.Special Features:
- Raul y Yolis RamirezPatoDined on 7/31/2014Excellent restaurant, we are coming to New York City for our daugther BOLSHOI Ballet Performance. Beforen her presentation we decide take our first dinner here. Today we will go again to take our dinner with our daugther.Special Features:
- The following 1116 reviews are from the Aquavit reviews archive.
- A Highly Civilized OasisYoungrymanDined on 7/16/2014What pleases me most about Aquavit is that it has not succumbed to the technological razzle-dazzle and theatrical over-stimulation which has infected many other fine restaurants. Five varieties of herring preparations on a plate, an aquavit flavored with horseradish, a plate of barley embellished with mushrooms and greens, and wonderful bread, crackers and butter in a calm, well-designed room is my idea of fine dining and a reassurance that there is still some hope that humanity will not innovate itself into extinction.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Polished service, clean flavorsthegforcenyVIPDined on 7/2/2014Impeccable service standards. Interesting plating and presentation that engulfs all the senses. It is not a versatile menu; though what it does it does flawlessly. Such a pleasant lunch experience. Never disappointsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What's not to like?OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/28/2014The rooms is great. Not big, not noisy, nice decor. The food was really outstandingly presented and excellent throughout. The staff did a great job all the way around, professional, but relaxed.
- ExceptionalBobWVIPDined on 6/26/2014My wife and I were in New York with family this week. We planned to slip away from the group one evening for a quintessential NYC dining experience. We found it at at Aquavit. Wonderful atmosphere, great service from beginning to end and unique, delicious food. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- ImpeccableAAMVDined on 6/24/2014Could have the chef's herring every day of the summer. Not a missed beat with any dish. Even dessert was a star.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressive!ShillyDined on 6/20/2014The flavors, aromas, presentation were a sensual pleasure! We shared, discussed, marveled over each dish. Made for a terrific evening and lasting memories.Special Features:
- NicknameVIPDined on 6/18/2014Where else in NYC can you get haute Scandinavian fare? Aaquavit's food is excellent, and its wait staff is friendly. But my wife and I have one complaint: We went for lunch and the service was astonishingly slow for a weekday lunch in Aquavit's midtown business district. We enjoyed ourselves, but we needed patience. Business people, however, may not be able to afford the time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.