65 East 55th Street
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
ScandinavianPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.aquavit.org/
- Phone: 2123077311x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:45am -2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Wild Game, Scandinavian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Aquavit
Two Michelin-starred Aquavit, located in Midtown Manhattan showcases seasonal, Modern Nordic fare and has been a pioneer of Nordic cuisine since opening in 1987. The restaurant has an extensive wine list as well as an aquavit infusion and cocktail program. At lunch we offer an a la carte menu and a 3-course prix fixe for $48pp. At dinner we offer an a la carte menu, a 5-course seasonal tasting menu for $95pp and a 8-course chef's tasting menu for $135pp.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Aquavit reviews from OpenTable diners
71 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (49)special occasion (42)romantic (28)notable wine list (18)great for lunch (13)good for groups (8)neighborhood gem (7)hot spot (7)vibrant bar scene (3)great for outdoor dining (3)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- ArtguyVIPDined on 10/15/2014Outstanding Fall tasting menu and service. I am not a fan of eating off a place mat and prefer table cloth. Chairs were a little uncomfortable and they try to adjust them with a wrap over the backing of some. Basically, the ambiance tampered the great food and service. Temperature was cold and drafty in our location
- My favorite restaurant in midtownL0la132VIPDined on 10/10/2014Stunning food, professional and welcoming service, a serene room in which conversation is possible. Complex but never pretentious flavor combinations beautifully presented. The second Michelin star they just earned was well deserved. I look forward to going back again and again.Special Features:
- GreatJackDined on 10/7/2014Outstanding service and food...worthy of the Michlin rating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Ever!!!gourmandVIPDined on 10/4/2014Aquavit did not disappoint in any way. The food was outstanding. The wait staff was excellent and personable. The "extras" including the amuse bouche were blissful, delicious surprises. The ambience was perfect. I will dine there again while in NYC. Kudos to the chef and staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Christian InSebastianDined on 10/3/2014The food was a magical culinary experience! Highly recomend the tasting menu. If you do the eight course tasting menu which we did give yourself about three hours. My wife and I were truly amazed by all aspects of the dinning experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off the chartsCitygirl1Dined on 10/2/2014Our dining experience started with us being seated at a comfortable banquette. The servers were all professional; friendly without being overly intrusive or familiar. The food is magnificent. We ordered the fall tasting menu. All of the small "amuse bouche" courses were perfect and really interesting. Haysmoke wafting from a covered soup dish; caviar on homemade potato chips with a side of quail eggs (to name only two of them). Heaven. The chef accommodated one diner ordering a substitute course, which is not typical in NYC restaurants. Every single dish was beautiful, delicious, unusual and something I would likely not attempt at home. And the price was an amazing value. Remember for special occasions. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- Outstanding in every regardKirovkidVIPDined on 9/12/2014Flawless service, sophisticated food beautifully presented. It has been several years since we here, and I would award the current restaurant 2 Michelin stars. We will return soon.Special Features:
- First Rate FoodfilmmakerfoodieDined on 9/12/2014This is one of the three top restaurants in New York. We have been to Aquavit a number of times. The food is exceptional, the service is perfect. It is one of the few expensive restaurants in NY where I have felt that the food was well worth the price.Special Features:
- Very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/9/2014The food was very good, but I miss the old location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent summer tasting menupetitefleurDined on 8/30/2014The summer tasting menu was sensational. The combination of flavors and ingredients was very pleasing and original. It started with a couple of excellent amuse bouche among which the smoked fish was incredible. Pouring the veloute over the fish released amazing flavor. The following dishes were equally interesting. I enjoyed very much the heirloom tomatoes with green sorrel, diver scallop with sea urchin and the delightful braised lamb with superb accompaniments . The ambiance and furnishing are interesting. The round tables or the small rectangle ones seemed nice. The big rectangle desks and chairs remind me of an office or bank setting and are not that comfortable. Perhaps this is part of the Scandinavian experience they aim to create.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "experience" the mealSimpletonDined on 8/30/2014Small but comfortable space with an understated decor. Being that there were only 12 or 13 total tables, we were well taken care of by the multiple waiters and servers who all covered for each other seamlessly. My wife and I knew we were going to be having the the summer sampler with wine paring so we did not order a pre-dinner drink. This led to the only awkward moments of the night. Before the first menu item and wine pairing arrived, we were served multiple small plates that were not listed on the menu. We felt a bit naked without a drink, but the surprise plates were awesome. Hay smoked corn with trout roe and truffle. mmmm. Food, drink, service, surprise dishes throughout night made dinner a 2 1/2 hour wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scandinavian eclecticOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/30/2014We enjoyed a rare treat for our anniversary. The attention was kind & courteous. The food was truly " presented".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Petit Gateau Foie GrasKikoDined on 8/30/2014I went to the restaurant to have the signature dish created by Marcus Samuelsson. Unfortunately it was not more in the Menu. The amuse-buches were very good. The Entrée and the main course good. The fromage very good. The desert good. There was a small kid crying loudly almost all the time in a large group. It made the environment unbearable. It doesn't make sense that all the other clients have to support this kind of situation.Special Features:
- "Don't know how to cook fish"RC4UVIPDined on 8/30/2014I took my sister visiting NYC who is a vegetarian and knows her fish very well. She picked Aquavit because of their expertise in fish. But she was served with an undercooked wild striped bass that had the traces of blood in the middle of the fish. What was worst it was served to her the second time still undercooked.
- Great innovativeKathleenDined on 8/22/2014We enjoyed the summer tasting menu. The fish dishes were amazing. The service was impeccable and they were open to changes and adjustments that needed to be made for allergies, etc. I was impressed with the presentation of the food and the flavors. Each dish was explained well.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceTarHeelTravelerDined on 8/16/2014My wife and I visited Aquavit on a trip to NYC. It was our first time ever eating a Michelin-starred restaurant. The star was well-earned and it was truly a wonderful experience. (Notice I said "experience" and not just "meal".) We had the chef's tasting menu at $135 per person. A good bit more expensive than we normally spend on our dinners, but truly worth it. The flavors and textures of the food were sublime and the courses were well-ordered and well-paced. Haute Scandinavian cuisine isn't something you see very often, but Aquavit managed to take the best of Scandinavia and pack it into a great seven course meal. A word about the service: it was first class. They anticipated their guests' needs and were professional and courteous.Special Features:
- Babette's Feast at AquavitOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/8/2014Everything about Aquavit was beyond our high expectations. We opted for the summer tasting menu and could not have been more pleased with each course. Many gustatory and olfactory treats greeted us with each element of the meal. Although our waiter was quite good, the support staff was even better.Special Features:
- Raul y Yolis RamirezPatoDined on 7/31/2014Excellent restaurant, we are coming to New York City for our daugther BOLSHOI Ballet Performance. Beforen her presentation we decide take our first dinner here. Today we will go again to take our dinner with our daugther.Special Features:
- A Highly Civilized OasisYoungrymanDined on 7/16/2014What pleases me most about Aquavit is that it has not succumbed to the technological razzle-dazzle and theatrical over-stimulation which has infected many other fine restaurants. Five varieties of herring preparations on a plate, an aquavit flavored with horseradish, a plate of barley embellished with mushrooms and greens, and wonderful bread, crackers and butter in a calm, well-designed room is my idea of fine dining and a reassurance that there is still some hope that humanity will not innovate itself into extinction.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Polished service, clean flavorsthegforcenyVIPDined on 7/2/2014Impeccable service standards. Interesting plating and presentation that engulfs all the senses. It is not a versatile menu; though what it does it does flawlessly. Such a pleasant lunch experience. Never disappointsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What's not to like?OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/28/2014The rooms is great. Not big, not noisy, nice decor. The food was really outstandingly presented and excellent throughout. The staff did a great job all the way around, professional, but relaxed.
- ExceptionalBobWVIPDined on 6/26/2014My wife and I were in New York with family this week. We planned to slip away from the group one evening for a quintessential NYC dining experience. We found it at at Aquavit. Wonderful atmosphere, great service from beginning to end and unique, delicious food. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- ImpeccableAAMVDined on 6/24/2014Could have the chef's herring every day of the summer. Not a missed beat with any dish. Even dessert was a star.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1111 reviews are from the Aquavit reviews archive.
- Impressive!ShillyDined on 6/20/2014The flavors, aromas, presentation were a sensual pleasure! We shared, discussed, marveled over each dish. Made for a terrific evening and lasting memories.Special Features:
- NicknameVIPDined on 6/18/2014Where else in NYC can you get haute Scandinavian fare? Aaquavit's food is excellent, and its wait staff is friendly. But my wife and I have one complaint: We went for lunch and the service was astonishingly slow for a weekday lunch in Aquavit's midtown business district. We enjoyed ourselves, but we needed patience. Business people, however, may not be able to afford the time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/17/2014Herring Festival excellent and the Bouillabaise savory with so many fish varieties.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionallexandwilldinenycDined on 6/14/2014I took my husband for dinner here, he is Scottish and loves smoked fish, herring etc so I thought he would appreciate the Scandinavian slant. The food was outstanding, we had the Spring tasting menu and wine pairing and enjoyed all courses and wines. The only issue was that the restaurant was over air conditioned and we were freezing all through dinner.Special Features:
- Service good; food less osShirleyVIPDined on 6/13/2014Food sparse and not up to par for a restaurant of this caliber. Service was good. Shirley M. Mueller
- LWLLWLVIPDined on 6/4/2014IT IS ALWAYS A DELIGHT TO DINE AT AQUAVIT, AN ELEGANT, WELL MANAGED RESTAURANT WITH EXCEPTIONAL FOOD. THE STAFF HELPS TO CREATE A RELAXING, UNHURRIED ATMOSPHERE, SO IMPORTANT FOR FINE DINING.Special Features:
- Marvelous LunchLCdinerVIPDined on 5/30/2014Cold nettle soup, Scandinavian bouillabaisse, shrimp skaag, burrata with salmon roe,lamb tartar, mango pan a cotta,all shared with a dear friend after the lunch rush; perfect!Special Features:
- Fabulous NYC DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/19/2014Second time in the last ten years to this restaurant. Food and atmosphere better than ever. The menu was innovative, fresh and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, adventurous cookingCDMGVDined on 5/15/2014Aquavit it too expensive for my crowd to dine there often but worth every penny. I appreciate the quiet, the spaciousness, the understated decor and comfortable seating and the gracious service and atmosphere almost as much as the excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of the ordinaryAck12Dined on 5/9/2014While its a bit out of the ordinary for me and my family - they generally prefer a great NY steak house - they agreed to Aquavit at my request as a Mother's Day treat. The meals on all three occasions I have eaten at Aquavit have been among the best I have ever eaten in NYC. The service is fine, as you would expect at such a high end restaurant, but can be a bit cloying and affected. I thoroughly enjoyed the gravlax first course - the best salmon ever - followed by a soft shell crab - tasty but overly battered. Family had the lamb and the short ribs - both amazing. Delighted by the little tastes we were served at the outset of the meal and in between each course. Just lovely. Its pricey, but you get what you pay for & more at Aquavit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ArtfreakVIPDined on 5/5/2014Innovative use of ingredients that worked. Solicitous service without being obsequious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SurprisingFoodiesDined on 5/3/2014We were able to eat the soft Shell crab , one off my favorite dishes which was prepared excellent . The portion was also royal . Then we had the lamb , slow cooked , so nice ! We didn't know what to expect from scandinavian cuisine but were really pleasantly surprised !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb Nordic!MC173VIPDined on 5/3/2014Try the Spring tasting, it is a treat. The staff is attentive and knowledgeable. You need time to complete the tasting, but it is well worth the investment.Special Features:
- Taste of Scandinavia in NYCFrederikDined on 5/1/2014Very tasty and intelligent pairing of Scandinavian roots, fish and herbs. Lobster and lamb neck cooked to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JandEfromNYCDined on 5/1/2014The food and service were excellent. The ambience, while pleasant, seemed dated and the lighting level was too high. The noise level was low so conversations were pleasant!!!!! Though we did not go in, the bar seemed the more in place. Next time I would go there and make a dinner of the hors as they are inventive and very good.Special Features:
- A Different PalateShrinkVIPDined on 5/1/2014Wonderful experience for the taste buds. The chef blends flavored in a different way making for a special meal. The many small tastes delight your palate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would not returnOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/26/2014The chef's amuse bouches were inventive and very tasty as were the soups and salads. The main courses fell short however with the fish having a mealy texture and not much flavor and the lamb was ordinary. Would have expected much more for the price.