65 East 55th Street
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
ScandinavianPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.aquavit.org/
- Phone: 2123077311x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:45am -2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Wild Game, Scandinavian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Aquavit
Michelin-starred Aquavit, located in Midtown Manhattan showcases seasonal, Modern Nordic fare and has been a pioneer of Nordic cuisine since opening 26 years ago. The restaurant has an extensive wine list as well as an aquavit infusion and cocktail program. At lunch we offer an a la carte menu and a 3-course prix fixe for $42pp. At dinner we offer an a la carte menu, a 5-course seasonal tasting menu for $95pp and a 8-course chef's tasting menu for $135pp.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Aquavit reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (52)special occasion (50)romantic (26)notable wine list (22)great for lunch (15)good for groups (9)neighborhood gem (8)vibrant bar scene (4)hot spot (4)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Great innovativeKathleenDined on 8/22/2014We enjoyed the summer tasting menu. The fish dishes were amazing. The service was impeccable and they were open to changes and adjustments that needed to be made for allergies, etc. I was impressed with the presentation of the food and the flavors. Each dish was explained well.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceTarHeelTravelerDined on 8/16/2014My wife and I visited Aquavit on a trip to NYC. It was our first time ever eating a Michelin-starred restaurant. The star was well-earned and it was truly a wonderful experience. (Notice I said "experience" and not just "meal".) We had the chef's tasting menu at $135 per person. A good bit more expensive than we normally spend on our dinners, but truly worth it. The flavors and textures of the food were sublime and the courses were well-ordered and well-paced. Haute Scandinavian cuisine isn't something you see very often, but Aquavit managed to take the best of Scandinavia and pack it into a great seven course meal. A word about the service: it was first class. They anticipated their guests' needs and were professional and courteous.Special Features:
- Babette's Feast at AquavitOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/8/2014Everything about Aquavit was beyond our high expectations. We opted for the summer tasting menu and could not have been more pleased with each course. Many gustatory and olfactory treats greeted us with each element of the meal. Although our waiter was quite good, the support staff was even better.Special Features:
- Raul y Yolis RamirezPatoDined on 7/31/2014Excellent restaurant, we are coming to New York City for our daugther BOLSHOI Ballet Performance. Beforen her presentation we decide take our first dinner here. Today we will go again to take our dinner with our daugther.Special Features:
- A Highly Civilized OasisYoungrymanDined on 7/16/2014What pleases me most about Aquavit is that it has not succumbed to the technological razzle-dazzle and theatrical over-stimulation which has infected many other fine restaurants. Five varieties of herring preparations on a plate, an aquavit flavored with horseradish, a plate of barley embellished with mushrooms and greens, and wonderful bread, crackers and butter in a calm, well-designed room is my idea of fine dining and a reassurance that there is still some hope that humanity will not innovate itself into extinction.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Polished service, clean flavorsthegforcenyVIPDined on 7/2/2014Impeccable service standards. Interesting plating and presentation that engulfs all the senses. It is not a versatile menu; though what it does it does flawlessly. Such a pleasant lunch experience. Never disappointsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What's not to like?OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/28/2014The rooms is great. Not big, not noisy, nice decor. The food was really outstandingly presented and excellent throughout. The staff did a great job all the way around, professional, but relaxed.
- ExceptionalBobWVIPDined on 6/26/2014My wife and I were in New York with family this week. We planned to slip away from the group one evening for a quintessential NYC dining experience. We found it at at Aquavit. Wonderful atmosphere, great service from beginning to end and unique, delicious food. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- ImpeccableAAMVDined on 6/24/2014Could have the chef's herring every day of the summer. Not a missed beat with any dish. Even dessert was a star.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressive!ShillyDined on 6/20/2014The flavors, aromas, presentation were a sensual pleasure! We shared, discussed, marveled over each dish. Made for a terrific evening and lasting memories.Special Features:
- NicknameVIPDined on 6/18/2014Where else in NYC can you get haute Scandinavian fare? Aaquavit's food is excellent, and its wait staff is friendly. But my wife and I have one complaint: We went for lunch and the service was astonishingly slow for a weekday lunch in Aquavit's midtown business district. We enjoyed ourselves, but we needed patience. Business people, however, may not be able to afford the time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/17/2014Herring Festival excellent and the Bouillabaise savory with so many fish varieties.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionallexandwilldinenycDined on 6/14/2014I took my husband for dinner here, he is Scottish and loves smoked fish, herring etc so I thought he would appreciate the Scandinavian slant. The food was outstanding, we had the Spring tasting menu and wine pairing and enjoyed all courses and wines. The only issue was that the restaurant was over air conditioned and we were freezing all through dinner.Special Features:
- Service good; food less osShirleyDined on 6/13/2014Food sparse and not up to par for a restaurant of this caliber. Service was good. Shirley M. Mueller
- LWLLWLVIPDined on 6/4/2014IT IS ALWAYS A DELIGHT TO DINE AT AQUAVIT, AN ELEGANT, WELL MANAGED RESTAURANT WITH EXCEPTIONAL FOOD. THE STAFF HELPS TO CREATE A RELAXING, UNHURRIED ATMOSPHERE, SO IMPORTANT FOR FINE DINING.Special Features:
- Marvelous LunchLCdinerVIPDined on 5/30/2014Cold nettle soup, Scandinavian bouillabaisse, shrimp skaag, burrata with salmon roe,lamb tartar, mango pan a cotta,all shared with a dear friend after the lunch rush; perfect!Special Features:
- Fabulous NYC DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/19/2014Second time in the last ten years to this restaurant. Food and atmosphere better than ever. The menu was innovative, fresh and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, adventurous cookingCDMGVDined on 5/15/2014Aquavit it too expensive for my crowd to dine there often but worth every penny. I appreciate the quiet, the spaciousness, the understated decor and comfortable seating and the gracious service and atmosphere almost as much as the excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of the ordinaryAck12Dined on 5/9/2014While its a bit out of the ordinary for me and my family - they generally prefer a great NY steak house - they agreed to Aquavit at my request as a Mother's Day treat. The meals on all three occasions I have eaten at Aquavit have been among the best I have ever eaten in NYC. The service is fine, as you would expect at such a high end restaurant, but can be a bit cloying and affected. I thoroughly enjoyed the gravlax first course - the best salmon ever - followed by a soft shell crab - tasty but overly battered. Family had the lamb and the short ribs - both amazing. Delighted by the little tastes we were served at the outset of the meal and in between each course. Just lovely. Its pricey, but you get what you pay for & more at Aquavit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ArtfreakVIPDined on 5/5/2014Innovative use of ingredients that worked. Solicitous service without being obsequious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SurprisingFoodiesDined on 5/3/2014We were able to eat the soft Shell crab , one off my favorite dishes which was prepared excellent . The portion was also royal . Then we had the lamb , slow cooked , so nice ! We didn't know what to expect from scandinavian cuisine but were really pleasantly surprised !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb Nordic!MC173VIPDined on 5/3/2014Try the Spring tasting, it is a treat. The staff is attentive and knowledgeable. You need time to complete the tasting, but it is well worth the investment.Special Features:
- Taste of Scandinavia in NYCFrederikDined on 5/1/2014Very tasty and intelligent pairing of Scandinavian roots, fish and herbs. Lobster and lamb neck cooked to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JandEfromNYCDined on 5/1/2014The food and service were excellent. The ambience, while pleasant, seemed dated and the lighting level was too high. The noise level was low so conversations were pleasant!!!!! Though we did not go in, the bar seemed the more in place. Next time I would go there and make a dinner of the hors as they are inventive and very good.Special Features:
- A Different PalateShrinkDined on 5/1/2014Wonderful experience for the taste buds. The chef blends flavored in a different way making for a special meal. The many small tastes delight your palate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1095 reviews are from the Aquavit reviews archive.
- Would not returnOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/26/2014The chef's amuse bouches were inventive and very tasty as were the soups and salads. The main courses fell short however with the fish having a mealy texture and not much flavor and the lamb was ordinary. Would have expected much more for the price.
- Very enjoyable lunchDinetimeDined on 4/25/2014We enjoyed the prefix lunch menu and the nettle soup was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good lunch with clientOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/17/2014Food and service are pretty good. Price is a bit expensive but reasonable considering personal attention and quality of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inventive and InterestingDavidDined on 4/5/2014Was travelling alone in NYC and decided to treat myself. I ordered the chef's tasting menu with wine pairings. The decor could use a little bit of updating (especially the dining room ceiling which was very office-like), but it was more than made up for through the very attentive (but not intrusive) service and inventive food, from the playful plating, to the flavour combinations, and the interesting ingredients. My personal favourites were the uni and perigord truffle, the wagyu, and the gorgeous "arctic bird's nest" for dessert.The wine pairings were also creative, bringing in things like sake, mead, and "orange wine" Highly recommended for anyone who wants a different fine dining experience from "the same old cuisine".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite Scandinavian Cuisine!kristicrisisDined on 4/4/2014Aquavit has long been a family favorite. We are American but of Danish ancestry and always looking/yearning for delicious, fresh, inventive Scandinavian cuisine -- well, let me say, after so many years -- the food has never been better!! Marcus Samuelson has put a gifted Chef in place and together with his cooking team and a fabulous wait staff, this was an amazing dining experience. Our "Spring" menu was, start to finish, a genuine breath of fresh air! ~ KJSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Swedish Meatballs Ever!!NatalieVIPDined on 3/31/2014The food was delicious- from the grilled dutch asparagus to the very special swedish meatballs with just the perfect balance of each flavour. I highly recommend this michelin starred restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing and inventivewfoodieVIPDined on 3/14/2014The food is absolutely amazing, inventive, and delicious! It was a real treat-perfect in every way! Also loved the homemade aquavit drinks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PretentiousSusanDined on 3/12/2014You'll never get fat with these smart portions Had the prix fixe. Unimpressed with the lobster salad but enjoyed the bouillabaisse very much. Seafood was very fresh and was delicious. Still trying to figure out exactly what my dessert was, but the chocolate and pistachio portion Made up for the tan life jacket plastic pastry that surrounded it.
- will not returnHavasuDined on 3/7/2014This was our third visit and each time it has declined. We always order the chef tasting menu with wine pairing. I was always short poured and could not eat two of the courses. We were never asked how we like a course. At 265.00 per person one should be satisfied and not disappointed.Special Features:
- Deserves a second Michelin StarOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/5/2014It has been a year since I dined at Aquavit. I have missed a lot. The kitchen is delivering a continual parade of artful, delicious courses with hidden surprises and unique flavors. The staff seems genuinely excited to share what they know is going to be a memorable experience. I chose wines by the glass which were quite good; however, I would have liked to have had some choices among more full bottle offerings that were modestly priced. I'm going back next month as I don't want to miss out as Aquavit achieves even greater recognition. Bravo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- At 1 pm the last table wasMarianaDined on 3/3/2014At 1 pm the last table was leaving and we were alone at the restaurant.Special Features:
- Seafood heavenDines4businessandfunDined on 2/25/2014Second time to Aquavit and lovely again. The wood, ambiance, furniture all lovely. The special wood and fur covered stool brought to have my purse sit on was a first. Had the bouillabaisse which consisted of fine fish bites and champagne foam and parsley purée was excellent.Special Features:
- Nordic paradisedetailDined on 2/21/2014It was too late in the day and we were too tired, so we ordered from the regular menu, but I'm hoping I can return to NYC and to aquavit soon to try the chefs tasting, it seemed really good. Food is absolutely exquisite and the care and preparation dispensed to each dish makes you feel like you are tasting something that was really tested and it is the best version of that dish possible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!torontoladyDined on 2/20/2014Aquavit is a truly superb restaurant in all aspects -- decor, ambiance, food, service. A wonderful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Special TreatDrewDined on 2/17/2014We visited Aquavit on a Monday evening over a holiday, so traffic was quite light. Our host Nathaniel was eminently professional, polished and precise, and the waitstaff followed his lead. We sampled the chef's tasting menu, which was comprised of a farflung assortment of tastes and textures. Sometimes the ingredient descriptions were too detailed and quickly repeated to comprehend, but certain dishes stood out: the foie gras surrounded by a sphere of marinated beet was particularly remarkable. I only give four stars for the food because there should always be room left to strive higher -- no one gets five. The check was not for the faint of heart, but dinners at Aquavit are better left as a rare indulgence, anyway.Special Features: