AQ Restaurant & Bar
1085 Mission Street
San Francisco, CA 94103Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
AQ Restaurant & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.aq-sf.com/
- Phone: 4153419000x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday 5:30pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Mark Liberman
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: AQ is available for catering requests. Please contact Daphne Lucas-Knox.
- Private Party Facilities: AQ is available for private parties ranging from intimate, custom tasting menus for six, to a full restaurant buyout. Our seating layout is flexible and can be customized for your special occasion or business function. The Cellar Room is perfect for formal dinners or larger gatherings, while our Whiskey Lounge is ideal for intimate cocktail parties. We will work closely with you to develop a special menu and tailor the ambiance to your needs.
- Private Party Contact: Daphne Lucas-Knox 4153419000x
- Cross Street: 7th and Mission
- Public Transit: BART: Civic Center Van Ness
Bus: 7th Street & Mission St
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Parking is readily available on Mission street between 6th and 7th street. Parking on Mission street is free after 6:00 PM daily, and free on Sundays.
A word from AQ Restaurant & Bar
The term “AQ” (“As Quoted”) often appears on classic restaurant menus to describe fresh, seasonal or specialty items. For this restaurant we extended this concept one step further—As we update the menu to reflect the freshest produce, we also gradually transform the interior of the restaurant to reflect the palette and tone of the current season. Executive Chef/Owner Mark Liberman showcases the quality and diversity of local produce, meats, fish and dairy by employing classic French technique, elegant plating and an unwavering commitment to flawless execution. We offer a nightly 4 course Prix Fixe menu, or our spontaneously inspired tasting menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
AQ Restaurant & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
101 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (71)special occasion (55)notable wine list (38)romantic (31)neighborhood gem (30)hot spot (27)vibrant bar scene (21)good for groups (11)late-night find (4)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (3)scenic view (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Sommelier-Officer of ProvisionsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014The server saved the evening.She was outstanding. Reg. Sat night out for dinner for two native SF. AQ dinning concept appeared intriguing. Lived up to expectations. A small detail to note. The Meat/Steak knife had a full tang and was balanced with weight in handle. Food Selection/ offerings adequate but not over bearing. Sommelier was only disappointment. Did not listen to my question and then charged for a bottle not ordered. AQ is well established and matured in SF Rest community. A must try for locals. Given the four season approach to menu, one should go 4 X per year. Do check your bill for errors.* ( sent private note to restaurant)Special Features:
- Perfect pre-theater dinner!SebdancaDined on 8/23/2014I can't think of another place where the presentation was as artistic, the food as delicious, the service so outstanding, or the prices so reasonable. We each chose different items from summer prix fixe menu and had 8 courses between the two of us... each one more delicious than the previous one. We had a 5:30 reservation which gave us plenty of time to have a leisurely dinner before a 10 minute walk to the Orpheum for a show. A perfect night. Thank you AQ!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great all aroundJustinVIPDined on 8/22/2014Loved our meal, and the venue was great. We liked the concept of a sub-70 dollar prefixe. Not cheap by any means, but reasonable for 4 courses. Each course was above average, and something new. Service and staff was extremely professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food marred by poor servicedan7000VIPDined on 8/20/2014First, The food was truly amazing. But We probably won't be back because the service was so bad and the number of staff crowding around our table all the time was truly bizarre. It was an expensive dinner with cheap, frustrating service. We sat for at least 15 minutes before anybody took our drink order. When the waiter did take our drink order, he pushed us to order dinner at the same time. For the price I'd expect to get a drink order taken really quick followed by some time to look at the menu. The rest of the evening was similar - long waits followed by being rushed. Also, there was a bizarrely large crowd of staff in the room. Most stood around waiting for food to come up or water to filll. A very weird dining experience.Special Features:
- The Art of Food and Fine DiningLovesToDineDined on 8/20/2014This place really delivered an evening of fine dining...it looks cool, it feels open and cool, the service was excellent and knowledgeable, the menu was simple enough to be readable but exotic enough to be interesting, the food itself was outstanding both for its beautiful presentation and its flavor/flavor combinations. I will go back the next time I'm in San Fran.Special Features:
- DxbnycOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014We tried the summer menu. Will definitely be back for the Fall!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Winner!OpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 8/16/2014I heard good things about this place but was not sure about the pre-fixe menu. Turned out every item on the menu was tasty! Can't wait to go back and try their Fall menu. I highly recommend this place.Special Features:
- Pretty Bad and Very ExpensiveLynneDined on 8/12/2014I had a $90, 4 course tasting menu in NYC the previous week that was probably one of the best meals that I have ever had with a very reasonable priced bottle of wine. AQ at $85 for 4 courses was way over-priced for the quality of the food and the wine list for a SF restaurant was a joke. All of the California reds were extremely over-priced for the quality of wine that is available in CA and they were pushing Chilean, Australian and Argentinean wines that were also over priced. Why in the world would you pay the import tax on a foreign wine when CA has the best wines in the world including Bordeaux. Coming from NYC, this restaurant was a very rude awakening in terms of lack of quality for a similar price.Special Features:
- Unforgettable!Red19Dined on 8/8/2014I went there with my family. We where in front of the kitchen as it's an open kitchen. The food was AWESOME, I was in heaven!!! Every single dish was different but soooooo good, with different flavors and sensations! Guys, you should go there, that one was the best restaurant I've ever tried. The only negative thing is that there were too much noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AQ is the bestExclamationDined on 8/6/2014Best dinner we have ever eaten! We will return for every season's selections,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Imaginative food and great serviceBorntoeatDined on 8/6/2014The food continues to amaze! It's imaginative and beautifully presented. The idea is to serve seasonal foods. We loved the lobster "bomba" and the chocolate dessert. The bar meister prepared a tasty dark rum drink for me. Allegra was attentive and friendly throughout.Special Features:
- ChowciaoVIPDined on 8/5/2014Everything about this would be great if the value were better. I have no complaints about the food, service or space, it is just not a great value unlike many other restaurants in SF.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting MenuKarenDined on 7/31/2014I didn't realize there is really only an option of the Tasting Menu or a "selection" menu, both at set prices. The set prices were ok, its just that there weren't many options. The food was outstanding, but my two teenagers didn't appreciate the gourmet food. I would go here with an adventurous friend who likes any type of food, as that is what you'll get. Surprise!Special Features:
- Outstanding food at reasonable prixRobTomVIPDined on 7/30/2014Imaginative 4 course tasting menu, impeccably served at the high-stools overlooking the kitchen made for a delicious, fascinating meal for an all-too-rare date night. The food was prepared with care and excellent, seasonal, local produce. Several times we asked the chefs about the ingredients or techniques as they worked away just a few feet from us. Superb fish and meats, fruit and veg. Reasonable corkage and attentive wine service. And remarkable dessert, featuring huitlacoche ice cream (yes, made from corn smut fungus). All for $55 4-course prix fixe. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Price Fixe heavenBB55Dined on 7/29/2014Found this restaurant using Google Maps. The high ratings are justified, although the food and beverage prices are hefty. Each of the four courses was a wonderful mix of flavors and textures. The portions are just enough to make you satisfied, yet wanting something more.Special Features:
- RawlinsDined on 7/26/2014It's one of these places that could surprised you in a good way. All was super good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding, even for SFOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/26/2014Sommelier Allegra Angelo's wine pairings are elegant, ingenious, and astonishingly reasonably priced. A Moselle with a thin dusting of chili powder on the rim of glass was especially inspired & memorable. Amazing food, beautifully served.Special Features:
- DocBGRDined on 7/26/2014Great food with tremendous service. Colorful neighborhood is far outweighed by food and serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extremely disappointingpupsterVIPDined on 7/24/2014Had attenpted to get into AQ before on a walk in basis and was never seated. When friends were coming from out of town, AQ was my first choice. We were a party of 4 who had the 4 course menu at $75 per person. I have never given this comment before, but the portions were ridiculously small. The food was ok, but really nothing special. When something was interesting, there was so little of it that you couldn't figure how and why. The grilled peach desert had real potential. It had one small peach silce and another half a slice. The service was pleasant. The room nice and on a hot evening was pleasantly cool. Unless something major changes, I would never return. My wife was of the same opinion. TBD is a much better experience.Special Features:
- DisappointedHonestVIPDined on 7/19/2014This is a highly talked about restaurant, and our expectations were high. We selected the 4 course testing menu. The descriptions provided by our waiter of the food items within each course sounded incredible. But the food itself was bland, the flavors were so-so and the portions were laughably small. In particular, the lobster bomba, the swordfish and the crudite left us wondering where the rest of the flavors went. Several of our courses came on very hot plates, which usually means that the food was sitting. We would not recommend this restaurant to any of our friends. Our expectations were high and AQ may have delivered 50% of what we expected. In summary, we felt as if we had expensive appetizers at a mid-level restaurant.
- Gourmet, but courses = only optionOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/19/2014The kitchen takes great care with the composition, flavor and design of the dishes. Good food all around. The restaurant only offers tasting menus - 4 or 7 courses for dinner. It's an expensive evening with wine/cocktail added. Recommend that a few a la carte dishes be added to the offering and that the tasting menu-only profile be elevated so that it's clear on OpenTable and any other communications that the diner is signing up for this experience.Special Features:
- ThemasterbakerDined on 7/19/2014Always a great meal with interesting choices that always delight. Inspired drinks and a lengthy spirit collection.Special Features:
- Fixed Price WinnerKatyVIPDined on 7/15/2014I loved the two choices of fixed price menus. We had the lesser expensive of the two with four courses, and we were very, very happy. The staff is quite friendly, the service is the best, and the food is a work of art -- not to mention fabulous. I look forward to returning.Special Features:
- lv2lvDined on 7/12/2014Food was well presented and had great flavor combinations. I appreciated the effort and talent to put the dishes together but the four course prix fixe courses were too small to fill up even a moderate appetite. Needed to get a late night Bi Rite ice cream afterward. Our server was attentive, freindly and the flow of the meal was smooth. We wanted to wait to order dessert and keep the menus but were told the kitchen liked the order all at once so they could determine (something?) more easily, which was the only time in our eveining that felt a little jarring. Creative industrial and organic loft space. Noisy, so lean in.Special Features:
- Had an Amazing Date Night!JDreDined on 7/11/2014The four course meal was amazing. The meal was fun, the cocktails fresh, and the service very accommodating.. Not at all intimidating in any way. The food was amazing, and the presentation impressive. If you are the type of couple that enjoys watching chef shows at home you will love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No longer a fansfdinerVIPDined on 7/10/2014AQ was one of my favorite and most recommended restaurants until my visit last week. I had no idea they had changed to a prix fixe menu forcing each diner to order a 4-course meal! (That is unless you choose the 9 or so course chef's tasting menu.) It took away the fun of sharing small plates and having complete control of how you order. Somehow in this change (or maybe it's the fact I haven't been there for many months) the quality of the dishes went down. At the higher price point I would expect much more. They are trying too hard with the dishes with all of these different elements and they just don't work. Very strange turn at AQ and very disappointing.
- Lovely place!ErikaSFVIPDined on 7/5/2014We really enjoyed the four course tasting menu. The food was well presented and delicious. The cocktails and wine were good too. The dining room is casual yet beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect date nightsammieDined on 7/3/2014I took my girlfriend here for her birthday and it was the perfect choice. She absolutely loved everything about it, as did i. The wait staff was amazing, the food phenomenal, the ambience outstanding, just a perfect 10 all around. I will definitely recommend this place to friends, and plan to return to try the tasting menu! Love love love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seating issueShwinickVIPDined on 7/1/2014I booked a reservation about a month before dinner for my wife's birthday. We were seated at a table in the doorway, behind the hostess. This was a bad table -- the restaurant's open kitchen and its interesting decor are not visible from the doorway, and the energy of the restaurant is poor from this location. There are two tables in the doorway area, and the other table remained empty. I asked to be reseated in the main area, where at least four two person tables were vacant. The hostess was not nice and advised me that the open tables were reserved for people who had requested particular tables. Not only did I find this hard to believe, but if true, then these tables should obviously not be used.
- Imaginative food and presentationBorntoeatDined on 6/25/2014We enjoyed the four course dinner and loved every minute. The best dish was the lobster and chicken combo, unusual for sure. The presentations were colorful and appealing. The bartender created a delicious drink with dark rum. It was a memorable experience.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GempracticalfoodieDined on 6/19/2014I have been a fan of AQ for 2 years now but never had the pleasure of writing a review. My husband and I treated a coworker and his wife to the 10 course tasting menu to celebrate his new job. His wife was the chef at Boulevard and now does events there so I was anxious to see if I could impress her. We all had a delightful dinner - the courses were adventurous and delectable! We had three beautiful wines and the whole affair was served with great care. I live in Civic Center (the tenderloin) and having something as special as AQ within high-heel walking distance proves that San Francisco has great things to offer in every nook and cranny.Special Features:
- The food satisfies every taste budAJ72VIPDined on 6/17/2014An amazing mix of different flavours, often all on the same plate. I can see why some diners may not like that. Its different from what you expect but still great food. I loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent for eyes and taste buds.BibaVIPDined on 6/17/2014AQ is a beautiful narrow space with original brick wall and an open kitchen complimented by an arrangement of branches overhead suggesting you are outside. The 9 course spontaneous menu was a visual and taste delight all nine times even though we had food requests that limited the chef. Each course was small but a satisfying delivered by smiling staff who described the elements and preparation. The wine pairings were also described as to origin and features. This is an expensive restaurant for a special occasion but one you will want to return to and enjoy again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/14/2014service was great, food was not worth the expense, had the chef's tasting menu and I think it is made up of leftoversSpecial Features:
- Great food. Some mishapsExcellentDined on 6/13/2014Our server was really good, there was a backwaiter who was particularly good as well. The somellier was medicore at best. Never cracked a smile. Paired some sort of weird coffee wine with a cheese course. No thanks. The meal should have ended on a positive note but it really ruined it.Special Features:
- Well Done! Good Experience!NoNicknameVIPDined on 6/13/2014Reviews for AQ are either ecstatic or frustrated. I had a delightful time with my full 8-course chef's menu, and did not experience the kind of things that other made other reviewers fume. Had really friendly and excellent service from beginning to end. The dishes all worked quite well, and it was fun to watch their preparation. Some flaws - the morel mushroom ravioli had too much salt for example. And the wine list was not at all to my taste and tremendously overpriced. Was it worth experiencing it? Absolutely yes.Special Features:
- Artistic restaurantacommunaltableDined on 6/6/2014If you enjoy creative cuisine that is artfully presented, you will enjoy AQ. If your idea of an outstanding meal is Morton's you will probably be disappointed. Recently dined at AQ and had the Chef's tasting menu with the wine pairings and thoroughly enjoyed the entire experience! The service was efficient, warm and personal and the food/beverage pairings were brilliant - and yes I said "beverage" because the pairings go a bit outside the box - Amontadillo sherry, Madiera, and sparkling sauvignon blanc.Special Features:
- DisappointedForeignFoodieVIPDined on 5/31/2014I like the vibe and decor of this restaurant. Other than that, my experience at AQ wasn't wasn't what I would expect based on the reviews of this place. Maybe I was here on an off night and it's hard to argue about taste, but of the eight dishes we ordered only one agreed with my palet. The others seemed odd combinations of flavors that didn't really go together. If I had realized that they only offer no a la cart ordering, only prix fixe with a minimum of 4 course, I would have picked another restaurant. On top of that, the waiting staff was not attentive (we had to make the same request multiple times and it took a long time to get our bill) and with the windows open it got very cold; I was freezing at the end of the night.
- Not worth the priceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/30/2014Very creative dishes, but some fell short. Savory salmon with sweetened strawberry puree? Not tasty. I applaud the creativity, but it just didn't work. Also, the pork entree was overpowered by the cherry and beet flavors- pork was absolutely lost. All in all, very expensive without the wowing flavors or winning combinations. If you're looking for creative/experimental food that actually tastes amazing, try 1601 Bar and Kitchen.
- Amazing !!JaneDined on 5/24/2014One of my favorite restaurant. Food is delicious, ambiance is perfect, decoration is amazing and service is goodSpecial Features: