AQ Restaurant & Bar
1085 Mission Street
San Francisco, CA 94103Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
AQ Restaurant & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.aq-sf.com/
- Phone: 4153419000x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday 5:30pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Mark Liberman
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: AQ is available for catering requests. Please contact Daphne Lucas-Knox.
- Private Party Facilities: AQ is available for private parties ranging from intimate, custom tasting menus for six, to a full restaurant buyout. Our seating layout is flexible and can be customized for your special occasion or business function. The Cellar Room is perfect for formal dinners or larger gatherings, while our Whiskey Lounge is ideal for intimate cocktail parties. We will work closely with you to develop a special menu and tailor the ambiance to your needs.
- Private Party Contact: Daphne Lucas-Knox 4153419000x
- Cross Street: 7th and Mission
- Public Transit: BART: Civic Center Van Ness
Bus: 7th Street & Mission St
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Parking is readily available on Mission street between 6th and 7th street. Parking on Mission street is free after 6:00 PM daily, and free on Sundays.
A word from AQ Restaurant & Bar
The term “AQ” (“As Quoted”) often appears on classic restaurant menus to describe fresh, seasonal or specialty items. For this restaurant we extended this concept one step further—As we update the menu to reflect the freshest produce, we also gradually transform the interior of the restaurant to reflect the palette and tone of the current season. Executive Chef/Owner Mark Liberman showcases the quality and diversity of local produce, meats, fish and dairy by employing classic French technique, elegant plating and an unwavering commitment to flawless execution. We offer a nightly 4 course Prix Fixe menu, or our spontaneously inspired tasting menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
AQ Restaurant & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
151 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (108)special occasion (76)notable wine list (44)hot spot (43)neighborhood gem (38)romantic (35)vibrant bar scene (18)good for groups (16)late-night find (7)great for outdoor dining (4)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Terrific!ChucklikesgoodfoodDined on 10/24/2014Highly recommend this great spot in San Francisco. Had the Chef's tasting menu which did not disappoint. Great spot.Special Features:
- SyzyQDined on 10/17/2014We were very disappointed in the quantity of food for the price we paid. Service was okay.
- AQ for Special OccasionsMrnSDVIPDined on 10/17/2014AQ was a treat. Expensive, but well worth it for our special occasion. Great service, spectacular prix fixe menu!Special Features:
- beautiful space, great foodsmm12Dined on 10/16/2014this restaurant is possibly on my least favorite block of the city, but is absolutely STUNNING inside. The food we got was great, but was maybe trumped by the amazing bottle of Cab Franc the sommelier recommended. Loved it. Great for a special occasion, bc pretty $$$.Special Features:
- long on concept short on flavoreat1knit2VIPDined on 10/16/2014Loved the concept and the design. Loved the wait staff and the service. Cocktails were great. Everything on the menu looked so amazing that I had a hard time choosing. But the foot itself was nothing to write home about. In fact, I can barely remember what I ate. At those prices, the food should be unforgettable.
- Great Birthday TreatColleenVIPDined on 10/11/2014AQ's decor, ambiance, and service were all impeccable and completely worthwhile. The food was innovative with interesting and unique flavor combinations, and the coursing was great. It was nice to be able to select from the options without requiring full table participation. The dessert course was far and away the most flavorful and knocked it out of the park. I will say, however, that had I not eaten 3 servings of Acme Epi bread, I would have been quite hungry upon my departure, which was unfortunate. I think they need to increase their portions somewhat. I will probably come back though, as the bar program, wine list, overall menu, service and ambiance were really fantastic, and I don't dine out solely for the food.Special Features:
- bigbbigBDined on 10/10/2014Clearly a sophisticated modern menu fit for knowledgeable foodies. Fastidious service but not very personable. Some plates got cleared with a bite left to accommodate timing of next course and style of presentation. My selections as a combination were missing textural variation. I left hungry but in all fairness food was creative but not totally satisfying. About 105 bucks per person with one drink tax tipsSpecial Features:
- A delightBibsyDined on 10/10/2014Innovative and exciting menu. Great atmosphere. I wish I'd had time for the tasting menu. Next time. Go for the wine accompaniment. Truly outstanding.Special Features:
- Good dining experienceJohnny36Dined on 10/10/2014This was my second time here and although I wasn't as Impressed this time as I was last time it was still good. The menu changes constantly so it all depends on what is fresh. The prix fix menu is ample and while it looks small you get a good amount of food. I will give it another try when their menu changes for winter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food & stunning decorBigTeamDined on 10/8/2014AQ was amazing from the moment my party arrived at the restaurant. We were promptly greeted and seated by the pleasant host, and the service staff asked us for our preference of tap or (complimentary) sparkling water. We ordered the 4 course dinner, and loved the autumn, pumpkin flavored amuse-bouche that we were treated by the chef. Each of the four courses built beautifully upon each other, with my favorite being the 3rd course, filet medallion. I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for a delicious and stunning dining experience.Special Features:
- Know what you are getting intoOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 10/4/2014AQ has only a prix fix menu, no other options. So, just know that you are $65 minimum each and the wine list has no reasonably priced wines. It's definitely a special occasion spot. The food was interesting and in some cases delicious. They bent over backwards to be such we loved the experience, but for me, it was over priced and I didn't like being dictated the price fixe. If you do require that, then it should be a very special experience. I found it to be good, but not fantastic.Special Features:
- Date Night! Date Night!AndrewcrombieDined on 10/3/2014Great place, wonderful atmosphere. Staff is very attentive and great service. Perfect for date night.Special Features:
- Not that great for many reasonsReviewDined on 10/3/2014My husband and I were disappointed with the food and the service at AQ. For starters, the ingredients didn't match well, especially in the appetizers and first course. Too many ingredients put together, creating a medley of savors that contrasted one with the other. Then my fish came raw. I sent it back and it came back raw again. At that point I skipped my second course, but no adjustments were made to the bill to reflect the mistake. Lastly, it is a prize-fixed menu' (we knew this in advance!), which means that for a whopping $65.00 one eats a four course dinner, with relatively abundant portions. The problem is that the price would be okay if the food were outstanding, which it was not.Special Features:
- Never againCCCCDined on 10/3/2014AQ did not live up to its reviews. Food menu was limited, very small portions. We had 3-4 choices, and what we had to chose from was unappealing. It has the appearance of being fit for foodies, but did not cut it at all. The desserts were however the best tasting. There was one vodka choice, tried it was only OK. Never again. Our waitress however was lovely.
- Taste sensations, fantastic serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/30/2014Everytime I visit AQ, the combination of the food and the service make it an amazing experience. I always try something new and often ingredients that I'd never think of putting together produce new taste sensations. The last couple of times I've gone, I've added the wine pairings and they've complimented the food perfectly. The seating is comfortable, you can carry on a conversation and the decor is really nice without being over the top. The service is always exceptional.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/27/2014We did the four course fixed price menu with wine pairings. The food was good and presented with care but not fantastic. More disappointing were the wine pairings that did not particularly complement the food course. The waitstaff, while pleasant, were young and unprofessional (nothing wrong with being young but seemed like they needed more training.) When you charge those prices, diners deserve the full experience.Special Features:
- Foodie dining in the MissioncnalscVIPDined on 9/27/2014Entering AQ is like entering another world. The brick building is on a not so nice section of Mission Street but once inside, one is transported to another world. The menu is a prix-fix 4 course and you select from several options for each course. Each dish is inventive and imaginative, wrapped around a central ingredient, and the portions are not too large. We enjoyed squid, Sacramento Delta crayfish, squash, halibut, swordfish, followed by desserts of chocolate and corn. Interesting wine list. Service got us out in plenty of time but there was a hiccup in getting the wine to us with our first course. By the time left, the place was packed and the line was out the door. The noise, unfortunately, is deafening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy but pricey!junzDined on 9/26/2014Great place! Yet in terms of the price, it seems to be competing with the greats. I think most of the items on the 4-course prix fixe menu were a hit, but some were just okay. I'd love to come back if the menu looks cool in the other seasonsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey but worth consideringLawrenceJDined on 9/23/2014We visited AQ prior to a night at The Opera. Our waiter was informed at the 5:30 beginning that we had a 7:30 curtain. Service was very good until the end, when delays getting the credit card handled ended up having us running up the stairs at the Opera house, ruining almost perfect service until then. We were glad we where there early, with the place less than full, as we could see this was the high ceiling, open kitchen, hard surfaces interior design so common these days, which inevitably results in a very loud dining room. The first course came quickly, which was great, except our cocktails did not, which was really the only other service flaw. The food was outstanding, though portions tiny. The wine list is uber expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summer tasting menuSFOmnivoreDined on 9/18/2014Inventive tasting menu featuring locally sourced delicacies with innovative beverage pairings. Rooted in France, the menu also draws from Japanese and California cuisines. Service was excellent although felt a little rushed toward the end plates. Highlights included a braised heirloom celery with the beef course, a tofu custard with daichi broth, and a purple carrot with roe. Only points off are poor atmospheric control (owners need to invest in an air conditioner given the open kitchen format) and a 'cheese course' that featured a solitary blivot of fried cheese. Notable wine pairings included a 2004 Ramsey Chardonnay that drank like Meursault and an immaculate 1998 Dunn Cabernet. Will return for sure.Special Features:
- Great spotUser499493Dined on 9/13/2014Food was excellent. Service was outstanding. Bar scene vibrant.Special Features:
- Very disappointing mealSouthParkFoodieVIPDined on 9/12/2014Surprisingly, the food here was extremely bland and somewhat boring from a taste standpoint. This restaurant is trying so hard to be artsy in food presentation, they forgot that most important food has to taste good. You only have 2 choices for this restaurant: a $98, 8 course fixed price or a $58, 4 course meal, with 4 choices for each course. My wife and I chose something different for each of the courses; not one course was memorable for either one of us. The wine list is very extensive, but extremely over priced, with few bottles under $100. The service was confusing and erratic; with many different people serving us during the meal. We eat out often and will not be returning to this restaurant.Special Features:
- Attentive, timely and sweetihackettDined on 9/11/2014We chose the chef's tasting menu with the premier wine pairing. We noted that we default plant based (vegan-ish) with some seafood when the chef determined appropriate. Each plate was beautifully constructed, unique and delicious. The wine pairings were spot on and really complemented the food. The service team was simply outstanding - engaging but not intrusive, fun but professional. I would highly recommend AQ for a seasonal special date with your someone special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding twiceVmaloneDined on 9/6/2014We were here for dinner pre-theatre two weeks in a row because I put the wrong date down on my calendar:) So, we got to try out different things on their summer menu. Both dinners were exceptional! Unusual, very tasty food. And the service is perfection. Lots of servers, but, never obtrusive. A new favorite place!Special Features:
- Don't waste your money or timeLockeDined on 9/5/2014Bottom line: 1-star because it's the food that matters, and you should not spend your hard-earned money on this food. The restaurant itself is very nice, with cool exterior and interior design. The service was not bad, but not great. The problem is that the food is simply NOT GOOD. Yes, it's well-presented with fancy tiny portions, and you're paying a lot for it, but that does not make it good. The dishes were half-baked ideas with no interesting flavors. My squid course was a tablespoon of seafood salad you could get at an Italian market plus a few slices of cucumber and blackberries. The fruit course was some melon with a dollop of cheese. You could honestly make this food at home, and better. Don't waste your money or time here.
- A Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/4/2014This was our first time at AQ and we caught the "summer" menu and decor. What a great room, great food, great staff. At $58 for a four course prix fixe AQ is excellent price/performance. Sort of a funny location, but we were going to a show at the Orpheum and it's really close. They also worked hard to get us through in 1.5 hours to make the show. We will for sure be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MenuJerryDined on 9/3/2014Having a choice between four different 1st, 2nd, 3rd and desert courses for a set price gives each diner a chance to customize his or hers meal. The choices are "real" in that they vary enough to be distinctive. The food matches expectations…excellent preparation as well as excellent presentation. The service is very good and enhanced by the knowledge of the wait staff. The table arrangement leaves a little to be desired. The tables are a bit too close to each other making conversation a bit confusing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Good.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014Definitely wait to sit at the chef's counter. You really learn to respect the kitchen!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Step DownEstrangeiroVIPDined on 8/30/2014We thought the food had declined a bit since our last visit, with several dishes that didn't quite come together. Wine pairings were superb, the best part of the meal. But service issues shadowed the evening. At one point a previously unseen man appeared to ask whether I wanted more bread. I said yes, but no bread ever came (and the man wasn't seen again). And at the end of the meal, no one asked whether we wanted coffee; instead the check was brought abruptly. We still admire AQ and will come again, but they have too many people running around (we talked to four different servers of various kinds not including the sommelier) and not enough people taking responsibility.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, excellent wine pairingfred06VIPDined on 8/29/2014Aq is a wonderful restaurant with an unique top chef menu. The 4 courses menu was incredible and the wine pairing insane. We have appreciated the bar with a wide whiskey selection. A great place and an excellent table !!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our new favorite before theaterFoodieVIPDined on 8/29/2014AQ was terrific and is an easy walk to Orpheium. We enjoyed the inventive options and fun cocktails. We will be back to try the 10 course sampling menu.Special Features:
- Service couldn't catch up with foodsfseaDined on 8/28/2014First of all, the food is good, not great, delicious yet interesting. However, poor service can seriously affect your dining experience, included the satisfaction towards to food. This review is mostly focus on the poor service we got from the host at that night. She wouldn't seat me until my friend's arrival when I am there first with my RESERVATION. She also told us we will have to wait 30 min to get a table otherwise bar seats were only option. It was Thursday night, tables are fairly empty. In the end, we got a table from our lovely server, and of course the host herself wasn't too thrill about our act. I would recommend invest money on somewhere have both good service and food.Special Features:
- Sommelier-Officer of ProvisionsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014The server saved the evening.She was outstanding. Reg. Sat night out for dinner for two native SF. AQ dinning concept appeared intriguing. Lived up to expectations. A small detail to note. The Meat/Steak knife had a full tang and was balanced with weight in handle. Food Selection/ offerings adequate but not over bearing. Sommelier was only disappointment. Did not listen to my question and then charged for a bottle not ordered. AQ is well established and matured in SF Rest community. A must try for locals. Given the four season approach to menu, one should go 4 X per year. Do check your bill for errors.* ( sent private note to restaurant)Special Features:
- Perfect pre-theater dinner!SebdancaDined on 8/23/2014I can't think of another place where the presentation was as artistic, the food as delicious, the service so outstanding, or the prices so reasonable. We each chose different items from summer prix fixe menu and had 8 courses between the two of us... each one more delicious than the previous one. We had a 5:30 reservation which gave us plenty of time to have a leisurely dinner before a 10 minute walk to the Orpheum for a show. A perfect night. Thank you AQ!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great all aroundJustinVIPDined on 8/22/2014Loved our meal, and the venue was great. We liked the concept of a sub-70 dollar prefixe. Not cheap by any means, but reasonable for 4 courses. Each course was above average, and something new. Service and staff was extremely professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food marred by poor servicedan7000VIPDined on 8/20/2014First, The food was truly amazing. But We probably won't be back because the service was so bad and the number of staff crowding around our table all the time was truly bizarre. It was an expensive dinner with cheap, frustrating service. We sat for at least 15 minutes before anybody took our drink order. When the waiter did take our drink order, he pushed us to order dinner at the same time. For the price I'd expect to get a drink order taken really quick followed by some time to look at the menu. The rest of the evening was similar - long waits followed by being rushed. Also, there was a bizarrely large crowd of staff in the room. Most stood around waiting for food to come up or water to filll. A very weird dining experience.Special Features:
- The Art of Food and Fine DiningLovesToDineDined on 8/20/2014This place really delivered an evening of fine dining...it looks cool, it feels open and cool, the service was excellent and knowledgeable, the menu was simple enough to be readable but exotic enough to be interesting, the food itself was outstanding both for its beautiful presentation and its flavor/flavor combinations. I will go back the next time I'm in San Fran.Special Features:
- DxbnycOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014We tried the summer menu. Will definitely be back for the Fall!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Winner!OpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 8/16/2014I heard good things about this place but was not sure about the pre-fixe menu. Turned out every item on the menu was tasty! Can't wait to go back and try their Fall menu. I highly recommend this place.Special Features:
- Pretty Bad and Very ExpensiveLynneDined on 8/12/2014I had a $90, 4 course tasting menu in NYC the previous week that was probably one of the best meals that I have ever had with a very reasonable priced bottle of wine. AQ at $85 for 4 courses was way over-priced for the quality of the food and the wine list for a SF restaurant was a joke. All of the California reds were extremely over-priced for the quality of wine that is available in CA and they were pushing Chilean, Australian and Argentinean wines that were also over priced. Why in the world would you pay the import tax on a foreign wine when CA has the best wines in the world including Bordeaux. Coming from NYC, this restaurant was a very rude awakening in terms of lack of quality for a similar price.Special Features: