199 Soundbeach Avenue
Old Greenwich, CT 06870Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.osteriaapplausi.com/index.html
- Phone: 2036374447
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Beppe Cornacchia
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Upon request Applausi can accommodate up to 75 people for a private party/event.
- Private Party Contact: Beppe 2036374447
A word from Applausi
Osteria Applausi (Applause in Italian) is one of three Italian restaurants owned and operated by the Marchetti family in Fairfield county. Osteria Applausi opened in Greenwich in 1994. Each customer is treated like family. Our food is authentic Italian food requiring only the finest and freshest ingredients, every cut of meat and fish is hand-selected and Maria makes handmade pasta daily. If you want to experience a true taste of Italy and be treated like one of the family, come to Osteria Applausi. Beppe Cornacchia, co-owner and manager of Osteria Applausi, has been a vital part of the restaurant since 2002. Prior to managing Applausi, Beppe lived in Tuscany since 1985 and worked in many successful Italian restaurants. He brought his vision of "La Cucina Italiana" to Fairfield County. Beppe also orchestrated the beautiful renovation of Applausi in 2010 to making it more metropolitan and giving it a sleek New York City feel in Old Greenwich.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
Applausi - Best Restaurants in Old Greenwich ›
Applausi reviews from OpenTable diners
29 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (23)fit for foodies (15)special occasion (8)good for groups (6)romantic (5)kid-friendly (4)notable wine list (4)great for lunch (3)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- MarciaVIPDined on 8/2/2014Food was better than ever, and it is always good. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Love It!RJGreenwichDined on 7/25/2014Our favorite Old Greenwich spot. Love the pasta. Great attention. On weekends a reservation is a must. Always crowded, can be a bit noisy.Special Features:
- Outstanding local ItalianPetecooksVIPDined on 7/19/2014Applausi is one of the best Italian restaurants in lower Fairfield county. The food is second to none and the service is professional, yet warm. The head waiter, who takes all orders in the restaurant, is on his game, making great recommendations on food choices as well as wine selections. This is a quality Italian restaurant run by a beautiful family!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food, a bit noisybasseDined on 7/14/2014The place is good for an informal dinner with friends, has a decent wine list and very good food (on two occations we have been there). The service was firendly, a the food came without much delay. The noise level can be a bit on the high side, but overall a place I would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice SpoteatoutalotVIPDined on 7/14/2014On a trip East to visit family, took several to dinner here. Old Greenwich needs more of these places as it seems overrun with delis and bagel/chicken places. While not inexpensive, the food was top notch, nicely presented and delicious. Salmon, veal and pasta were all expertly prepared. Attentive staff added to the experience. We would be regular visitors if we lived closer for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a Disappointment!PeterMVIPDined on 6/27/2014We were excited to get a table as we were celebrating my wife's retirement. We arrived on time but, the table wasn't ready and we were asked at the bar. As it turned out, that was the highlight of the evening as Katrina, the bartender was a most enjoyable person to talk with and watch work. Her very pleasant personality and attentiveness made the wait tolerable by 7:30 We began to wonder what was wrong. We were finally seated with the explanation that we were sitting at a table for 3 as the table for 2 started late?? The wait staff was less than attentive or personable. The food was excellent. As I explained to my wife the only reason they got a 20% tip was because I think the management is at fault not the staff.
- Our Favorite Neighborhood Gem!TripleLeoDined on 6/27/2014We love our neighborhood gem, Applausi. Thursday through Sunday evenings, dinner is busy and so it is loud, but in a very friendly way. Families of well-behaved children, grandparents, young couples, friends - you name it - everyone enjoys it. If you want a quieter experience, try lunch or a weekday evening. They are lovely. We are thrilled Applausi is thriving and we like to walk there to dine whenever we can.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciosoStamforddinerDined on 5/31/2014Attractive decor, good service and memorable food. Salads are incredible as are pasta dishes. Had the veal special and it was special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mushy SoleFloeyVIPDined on 5/31/2014Really want to love this neighborhood staple with generally very good food but this highly priced special was mushy and tasteless. Very disappointing.Special Features:
- Food was good, service not so muchSydney10Dined on 5/11/2014Menu and food was nice but service was non-attentive and aloof. Left sitting without drinks for longer than should have been.Special Features:
- The following 37 reviews are from the Applausi reviews archive.
- ApplauseAndyMorseVIPDined on 3/22/2014Osteria Applausi is a fine Italian restaurant. The pasta, that is homemade, is superb. Eggplant starter was superb, delicate in one regard, rich in another. Service was efficient yet curt. The decor was changed to a darker more intimate interior..than in years past. Thematically, it was a bit lost..but overall pleasing. Andy MorseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Applausi!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/1/2014We go so often now, it's funny, but what can we say - the place is great. The pastas are delicious, the pork chop always perfect. The staff get to know you (Abel is the waiter of all waiters). Just an all-around great place - can't say enough good things about it.Special Features:
- Too noisy, food ok but tooKennethDined on 3/1/2014Too noisy, food ok but too expensive relative to quality.would not go back very soon
- Delicious Italian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/21/2014My husband and I both got pasta dishes. Both pastas were made fresh and in house and they were spectacular. We will definitely visit again.Special Features:
- Great foodedmfc92Dined on 2/14/2014Applausi's food was superb, but I knew it would be based on being a long time Columbus Park fan. Service was average at best but I gave them a pass due to it being Valentine's Day and the place was packed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gem but priceyCSNfromOGDined on 2/7/2014While great food and a lovely atmosphere, the very high prices keep me from bringing certain friends for a casual, local dinner.Special Features:
- Neighborhood gem with some riskCSNfromOGDined on 1/16/2014People bring young children to this neighborhood gem, which is NOT inexpensive, so I am often surprised. Food is fabulous, wine selection very nice. Would like it more if I didn't worry about noisy children at the next table. Probably a function of being there on the early side of the evening, of course, so keep that in mind.Special Features:
- Always a great meal and wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/4/2014Always a great meal and wonderful service. We never feel rushed and the service is superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent New Years Eve dinnertyeatonDined on 12/31/2013Had a great dinner at Applausi, food and service was very good. A bit pricey but still excellent. The only issue was that we have to wait about 30 minutes for our table when we had a reservation for 8:30 and showed up about 10 minutes early. We waited at the bar which was small and crowded and we were kind of in the way of the waitstaff who were trying to get by with drinks and dishes. Otherwise, a very good meal. Would definitely recommend this place if you don't mind a little wait and an "energetic" noise level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food. Warm, cozyLaurenDined on 12/24/2013Wonderful food. Warm, cozy atmosphere. Awesome service. Great suburban spot for NYC transplants.Special Features:
- Best dining in Old Greenwich!food101Dined on 12/7/2013What is better than this wonderful neighborhood restaurant? Not much. Appetizers are varied and delicious.The daily pasta specials, and regular menu pasta items created by Maria, one of the owners, are exquisite. The seafood here is also amazing. Try the Branzino. It is perfection! You are missing out if you are not headed here where people actually care to know you by name and greet you warmly at the door. Old Greenwich at its' finest!Special Features:
- We will not returnOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/23/2013The noise level was so high it was uncomfortable. The food was edible but not memorable, and the service very spotty.
- Will definitely returnNannyDined on 11/17/2013The shrimp with white bean appetizer was outstanding. Food is prepared with care and well seasoned.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner on a Saturday nightjoterDined on 11/16/2013Dinner on a Saturday night was wonderful. The restaurant was full but there was no problem having a quiet conversation. The service is always perfect, not intrusive. Try the pasta made by Momma. It is fantastic. I had red snapper with vegetables and wine. It was probably the best I have had. The food is always interesting and delicious. We always have a hard time choosing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, kitchen very slow,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/9/2013good food, kitchen very slow, entree over 1 hr to serve, waiter disappeared and kept returning to say, " your up next", Took 2 1/4 hrs tor salads, entree and coffee! Thank god the company was good! Too many other restaurants with good food and much better service.,
- Good food, very expensive wine listoldgeenwichresidentDined on 10/18/2013I will probably end up doing take out a lot from this place. Home made pasta dishes are excellent (a little on the small size). Crusty bread too..Special Features:
- Excellent food and service!!Belpaesano78VIPDined on 10/13/2013Excellent food and service!! Beppe is the best!!! Bravo Beppe!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As alwaysbonappetitVIPDined on 10/2/2013Excellent is the best way to describe the experiment at Applausi. Bravo once againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalbonappetitVIPDined on 9/21/2013We love Applausi .... the food, service and presentation are consistently wonderful. Can't wait to returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Italian foodRiversideDined on 9/14/2013The homemade pastas were delicious, so was the burrata. The staff are all very nice and attentive. My whole family loves this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Applausi never disappoints!JAT1Dined on 8/26/2013Delicious food, good service, agreeable atmosphere. Not too fancy, not too plain. The portion sizes are perfect -- just enough to leave a little but never over-the-top too much. Always a good choice for dinners by ourselves or with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding experiencePetecooksVIPDined on 8/23/2013We have been to Applausi many times and once again we had an amazing experience. Beppe, the maitr'e d/manager, runs the place as if he were at home in Italy overseeing the entire restaurant with style, class and a great vibe. He makes great recommendations on the food and wine. And the staff is courteous and friendly. Extremely high praise for this outstanding Italian osteria!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchJimCVIPDined on 8/20/2013Had lunch here just the other day and was very impressed, the food was excellent and the service, while a bit lackadaisical, was pleasant. Will definately be back for lunch and diner.Special Features:
- The restaurant always seemsDickyGDined on 8/17/2013The restaurant always seems to get better and better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always one of our favoritesZmanVIPDined on 7/6/2013This gem in Old Greenwich boasts one incredible Italian menu. The daily specials are just that ... specials! Always feel welcome, always served by pleasant knowledgeable staff! Last night I asked for a wine recommendation to go with my veal and the wine the captain selected was really delicious... Same for my husband... and the wines by the glass were not the most expensive offerings... now that shows some real customer concern and thoughtfulness. Friendly and appreciative staff! We love this place!Special Features:
- On Saturday night the noiseOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/21/2013On Saturday night the noise level of horrible so I will only go during the week. I love this restaurant and the staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What did you say?PatrickVIPDined on 6/14/2013Just two of us, but talking to each other was impossible. Everyone around us was yelling -- the noise level was simply unbelievable! We waited nearly a half hour after being seated before a waiter would even take our wine order. Only two actual servers for the entire packed restaurant? Food good, nothing really outstanding. But the noise level was the killer. Oh, and Open Table notified us that the restaurant said we were a no show?
- Never Fails to PleaseFloeyVIPDined on 5/25/2013Very well prepared dishes, fresh seasonal specials. We have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would never go on a SaturdayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/2/2013Would never go on a Saturday night because the noise level is unbearable; they need to cushion the sound. I love it during the week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Applausi is very good. IthirschcoolpapaVIPDined on 3/29/2013Applausi is very good. It is located in Old Greenwich which is a away from the hub-bub of Greenwich and Stamford. This is a sister restaraunt to Columbus Park is Stamford, which is one of our favorites. Everything about Applausi say quality. We were a party of six and no one ordered an identical appetizer or entree, and it was thumbs up all around. the wine list is extensive and fairly priced. The service is totally professional. the ambiance is warm and you never felt rushed.Special Features: