8650 Genesee Ave Ste 106
San Diego, CA 92122Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
GreekPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.apolloniabistro.com/
- Phone: 8584551535
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Sunday -Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Greek, Middle Eastern
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Apollonia catering specializes in the art of Greek and Eastern Mediterranean food and excellent service. Our authentic selections along with our sister restaurant Cafe Athena have enchanted San Diegans since 1990.
- Private Party Facilities: Apollonia welcomes private parties with open arms. Our private dining room, where a monitor is available for any presentation, can accommodate groups of up to 30 diners, the patio can seat up to 40 diners and the combined fireplace and main dining rooms can seat up to 70 diners. The entire restaurant is also available for private events. Our chefs can create prix fixe three or four-course menus, to fit your needs. Private parties may be served for lunch or dinner and are suitable if you are planning a business meeting, a wedding rehearsal dinner, a bridal shower, a graduation or birthday party at our family restaurant. The objective of such menus is not only to simplify the ordering process but also to provide you with the best package of great food, reasonable price and efficient service. For parties of ten or more, please make arrangements with a manager in advance
- Private Party Contact: Matt Eker 8584551535
A word from Apollonia
Apollonia prides itself on serving foods that are shaped by simplicity and spawned by ingenuity. Our chefs have created dishes that allow natural flavors, which are hallmarks of Greek fare, to emerge and stimulate the senses. Our generous menu, which is designed to accommodate both vegetarian and omnivorous diners, includes age-old favorites such as Dolmathakia and Moussaka, alongside some absolute surprises guaranteed to tantalize your adventurous curiosity.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Apollonia - Best Restaurants in La Jolla / Golden Triangle ›
Apollonia reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (26)neighborhood gem (16)good for groups (15)great for outdoor dining (14)fit for foodies (12)kid-friendly (4)special occasion (3)great for brunch (3)romantic (2)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- A long time customerLA811VIPDined on 8/29/2014Been a customer of Apollonia for many years. It's a reliable and affordable choice for good Greek and Middle Eastern food. The wait staff is always helpful and pleasant. We usually like eating on the patio but the inside dining room is comfortable. My only gripe of late with this restaurant and many other (especially Southern) California restaurants is the misuse of water. We're in a severe (and apparently about to worsen) drought. Water should only be served on request. I mentioned this to our server the other day and she nicely pointed out that on hot days, they like to give people water. A quick look at the tables nearby showed that nearly all diners had left full or half full water glasses on the tables.Special Features:
- OPA! Great Greek meeting placeCindyDined on 8/21/2014Girlfriends met for dinner and were pleasantly impressed with the lovely decor and calm ambience. Excellent service, attentive but let us linger a long time. Luckily, no one was waiting for our table. Not loud, a real bonus. Friends enjoyed the chicken kebobs (a bit of struggle to get it off the skewer), shrimp dish (couldn't finish it, but ate all the shrimp), and gyros sandwich (not the best I've ever had, but fresh and tasty) and had to pay extra to add a Greek salad. Still reasonably priced. Lots of free and close parking. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Apollonia RestaurantAnniversaryDined on 8/8/2014Very nice place to go for my lunch meetings. Location is great for locals yet convenient to meet those midway from north county and San Diego. It can be a bit loud during lunch 12to 1 pm but tapers off. Nice comfortable decor. Menu is very good and as is the food served. Front staff is friendly and kitchen staff gets the flavorful menu items out quickly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a grear mealGavinVIPDined on 7/31/2014Apollonia is a guaranteed good meal, consistently the food comes out exactly as it should and just the right amount of service. I had the Olympian salad this time with chicken and it was delicious, my friend had the chicken kebab plate and he finished it off. Will be back soonSpecial Features:
- Always goodKMACDined on 7/5/2014We've been coming here for years for lunch and dinner and it only gets better. Their salads and grilled meats are excellent but last night I tried a vegetarian dish-stuffed eggplant..fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sadly, has gone downhillfoodieDined on 6/8/2014This used to a fav, but this was our last visit. One person asked for a side Mediterranean instead of Greek salad. The waitress scolded her for ordering the wrong item. With three similar salads, only one of which comes as a side, she might have verified. The lamb kabobs have been discontinued. One person's chicken kabob was so tough and chewy he sent it back. The waitress said "Well, you ordered chicken breast" as if chicken breast is always tough and chewy. He asked for the moussaka as a replacement (since others enjoyed it); the waitress didn't mention that it took the longest to cook. When everyone else was done and he was still waiting, she said "The moussaka takes the longest." We liked the moussaka and the avgolemino soup.
- DinnerCarolyncVIPDined on 6/5/2014The lamb "stew" had no flavor and was very fatty. The pita bread was served in a cheap basket with wax paper. The fish had a heavy sauce. I was looking forward to a great Greek dinner in La Jolla but was disappointed.
- Great Greek!JennDined on 6/4/2014The food is delicious...everything! Great place to have lunch or dinner. Has become one of my favorite places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Greek CuisineSDLurkerDined on 5/25/2014An expansive menu of authentic Greek and Middle-eastern dishes. Our food was well seasoned and delicious. We started with a basket of pita bread and tsanziki (cucumber yogurt sauce) and I also had Avgolemeno soup - both were very good. For an entree, I had the Arni Stefado (braised lamb shank) and it was tender falling off the bone with an excellent sauce. My wife (a Greek Cypriot) had the Greek Feast, a variety dish with several specialties and she enjoyed it very much. We had plenty left over which went home with us for an enjoyable lunch the following day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Greek food!La1960VIPDined on 5/24/2014The food was very good and very reasonably priced. The waitress was a little short with us and tried to clear my plate when I was clearly not finished. A very nice setting and easy parking.Special Features:
- The following 43 reviews are from the Apollonia reviews archive.
- Always delivers a great mealGavinVIPDined on 5/12/2014Their olympic salad, shrimp scorpio, taramasalata, and chicken kebab plate were all delicous, Went there to celebrate a special occasion, told host it was a birthday but it seemed like he forgot to tell server, was'nt going to make a big deal out of it. Great food, we will be backSpecial Features:
- Everything was top notch!nivi94Dined on 5/3/2014I appreciated everything about the restaurant, the food, the ambience, the music (mainly the Greek music, not the pop), the service, the kind gestures of the waitress, the setting etc. I had chosen it for my friend's birthday and everyone who had attended had liked the food very much and also commended me on the choice of restaurant. I am vegetarian and there was a sufficient amount of vegetarian choices for me to choose from.Special Features:
- Birthday CelebrationHappyEatersDined on 5/2/2014I booked this reservation to celebrate two birthdays on one night. We had a party of six and none of us had been to Apollonia's before. We received the outside table as requested. Service was great and the food was delicious. A great find. Would come again!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/29/2014The food is consistently wonderful! Lots of options, tasty. Friendly and attentive service. Great for meals with colleagues as well as with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business lunchsdsu98Dined on 4/17/2014Really nice atmosphere in the enclosed outdoor patio area. Service was great and so was the food. Tomato bisque was really good. I would definitely order that and the Chicken Aioli again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Greek RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/16/2014Excellent food; great service; knowledgeable & courteous staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Greek restaurantjenniferVIPDined on 3/27/2014The place is pretty; we had been there before but this was the first time we sat outside, and the patio is lovely. The food is delicious, with one exception. One time my son ordered macaroni and cheese from the kid's menu, and it was Kraft, and it wasn't even freshly made; he wouldn't eat it. The traditional Greek menu items are all excellent, however, and do please ask for some harissa on the side, whatever you order: it is addictive!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great GreekemessessVIPDined on 3/27/2014One of our favorite places. The food ix excellent, the servers are very nice and efficient, and the room is very comfortable. The prices are also reasonable..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Gyros & Baba Ghannouj!sdmargoVIPDined on 3/21/2014Great food, comfortable table and fast service by Anthony. Anthony was outstanding with excellent food suggestions. The lemon soup was as outstanding as he promised and I loved the Gyros and Baba Ghannouj !! Can't wait to returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic FoodKmalbbaughnDined on 3/20/2014There were four of us and we all had something different. We enjoyed every bite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was delicious and tableOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/8/2014Food was delicious and table service was terrific, but it took quite some time before anyone acknowledged us at the door. Restaurant is very bright, before walking in I thought it was going to be like a cafeteria it was so bright. Dimming the lights a bit may bring a better ambience. The live music was a nice touch. Otherwise, great place for some good Greek food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food. Generous portions.PrincessDined on 3/8/2014Very good food. Generous portions. Reasonable price. Full bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely musicWillowVIPDined on 3/1/2014I had no idea we'd have greek music playing during dinner, but loved it! The whole experience was very good - food and service.
- Awesome experiencemarchinitpDined on 2/28/2014The food was fresh, the service was outstanding, and the scenery was fantasticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Evening with friendsJohnDined on 2/19/2014We have enjoyed the Apollonia many times before. Their food is very similar to that which we enjoyed on the Greek islands. This time we shared a meal with friends, one of whom is Greek and he thoroughly enjoyed the ambience and food, which reminded him of his family's cooking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodItsAllGreekToMeDined on 2/15/2014Really like the food here, tasty and good quality, I eat the moussaka everytime I come here.Special Features:
- Truly RomanticEfrenDined on 2/14/2014This is a great place to take that special date. The setting is truly romantic and the décor makes it look so unique and special. There is even a room for groups as large as 30 people, which is great for celebrating a graduation, anniversary or any special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best service and food hands downJOEJORDANDined on 2/14/2014IT was a great dining experience, first time visiting and would definetly return, food was very authentic, wait staff was unbelievable, portions were just right for the price. Nice place for a diner for two or a group great atmosphere and staff were very welcoming. Outstanding food and great atmosphere, waiter was one of the best that I have ever had, I believe his name was Aaron, BEst experinece I have ever had dining out My wife and I will definetly return. Thank you for very memorable Valentines Day and wish you all the best of luck as countinue your excellence in food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for business lunchPaulSVIPDined on 2/14/2014Apollonia is my go to place for a business lunch in UTC. Food and service are very good and the atmosphere is perfect for business conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extremely good experienceSamFromSDDined on 2/12/2014We had a great time and great food. I had the salmon which I recommend to every one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, Terrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/28/2014Decided to take my boyfriend to Appollonia for his birthday and it happened to be Restaurant Week. He is of Greek descent so I wanted to him to have some dishes that reminded him of his yaya and pappous' dishes growing up. We both agreed the dishes were delicious and the meals were large portions. We were particularly impressed with the sagnaki, spanakopita, dolmas and lamb cous cous. However, the service was absolutely terrible. The restaurant was not crowded at all but our waitress took a while to take our orders, made us feel unwelcome, did not refill our waters even once, did not check on us throughout our meal and did not say thank you when dropping off the bill (and the bill was wrong too). What a birthday disappointment.
- Great dinner restaurantplf94Dined on 1/24/2014Apollonia is a beautifully decorated restaurant. The food is great and reasonably priced, there are a lot of choices, and it is not at all difficult to get a table for a big group. The servers are always extremely friendly and helpful, and I have never had to flag someone down for water. They are attentive without being too intrusive. It's a great place to eat and talk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business lunchSpoonDined on 1/7/2014Apollonia is a good place for a business lunch. The service and food are very good. The noise level is moderate so it is possible to have a conversation without shouting at one another. Easy access and lots of parking make it very convenient for all.Special Features:
- Excellent Xmas Eve dinnerManielDined on 12/24/2013Four of us for dinner in the small room. Food excellent and plentiful as always: the baked chicken; the gyros plate; the seasoned ground meat; and the souvlaki. Fresh Greek side salads and one lentil soup - all good. And two desserts - one mousse and one house special. The waitress was efficient and personable and plates were cleared at the right times. All this at a reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Christmas Eve MealHungrybulldogDined on 12/24/2013There was seven adults to including two that have special dietary needs, i.e., a vegetarian and a vegetarian that is allergic to gluten and xathum gum. Both of them where able to find something enjoyable to eat. Jess and Juan did a fine job serving the family. JerrySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was okOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/15/2013When I booked the table I specify that if was for a birthday of a six year old. When we arrived on a Sunday for lunch the restaurant is basically empty, maybe 5 table in total and the place is hugeWe ordered the food, it was ok. Beef was very tender. Then at the end the waitress asks if we want any dessert, I remind her we are there for a birthday and ask if they have any cake to sing happy birthday. After one minute she arrives with one piece of baklava on a small plate, no candle, not even the slightest decoration (even powder sugar would have worked...) and put in front of the child and left. Now, we didn't expect anything special, but at least one candle!! $100 bill for 3 adults and 4 kids....not worth it!Special Features:
- Pleasant, Long LunchBdaybashDined on 11/24/2013Two hour birthday lunch with a friend was delightful and yummy! Good food, good service.Special Features:
- OK not greatLynnLuvs2eatDined on 11/20/2013We just met for appetizers and happy hours drinks. The ouzo was only $3.50 each - I'm no connoisseur but it seemed fine. We order the appetizer platter. Hummus, tsatziki, pita were good, everything else just so-so. Service and atmosphere were good, but for me, I care most about food quality and value for the money. Apollonia did not excel in either of these two categories.
- Delicious!!GailCVIPDined on 11/16/2013We enjoyed the vegetarian options on the menu. Great food and good service. We plan on returning for brunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful BrunchFhoward416Dined on 11/3/2013There were 4 of us and we sat outside in a corner and the brunch was wonderful, each of the 3 courses were the best. We all had something different and loved them all. Don't miss a chance to go and enjoy their food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.