4741 SE Hawthorne Blvd.
Portland, OR 97215Neighborhood:
Hawthorne / Belmont
PizzeriaPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.apizzascholls.com/
- Phone: 5032331286
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: M-Su 5:00pm-9:30pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Brian Spangler - Pizzaiolo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Apizza Scholls
18" Neo-Neopolitan style pizzas served in a bustling environment.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Apizza Scholls reviews from OpenTable diners
- Good PizzaTacomaLoveDined on 3/7/2014Fun place to meet with friends for Beer and Pizza. Long wait for a lot of people so make reservations ahead of time. People love this place for a reason because the pizza is pretty yummy.Special Features:
- The best pizza on earthworktotravelDined on 3/3/2014Well maybe there is one place in NY city that sold me a slice once that compared. Hands down so far one of the best I have tasted in my 47 years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Possibly the best pizza everOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/3/2014Really great pizza. Crust is very thin while remaining crisp on the bottom. Toppings are fresh and delicious. The place has a vibe like any neighbourhood pizzeria, but the pizza is one of the best I've ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Pizzapizza2loveDined on 2/27/2014Apizza Scholls is absolutely the best pizza we have ever had! Wouldn't eat pizza anywhere else, after having pizza at Apizza Scholls. Always perfect pie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Pizza in PortlandNikkithefoodieDined on 2/23/2014Hands down the best pizza in Portland. Love the margherita. Only wish it was easier to get a reservation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect pizzaBGinArlingtonVIPDined on 2/22/2014Yes, there's a long wait (though the reservations, if you can get them, help avoid that!) and a lot of rules, but it's an outstanding example of east coast-style, thin and crisp crust pie. The beautifully crunchy crust is nicely complemented by topics that creative without being esoteric and beautifully balanced. Crisp, friendly service keeps things moving but not rushed.Special Features:
- Best pizzajfmPortlandDined on 2/18/2014Apizza Scholls has been my favorite pizza place in Portland for years, but the inevitable line/wait was a definite deterrent. Just learned that they take limited reservations, which made this the easiest choice in the world to take our British friends out to. They loved it. We loved it, as always. Really, really happy that I can come here with my husband now, who will NOT wait outside in the rain for pizza.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best pizza anywhereWillDined on 2/18/2014This is simply the best pizza anywhere. Very consistent, always delights. The Cesar's salad is wonderful too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best pizza in PortlandOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/17/2014I grew up in the northeast, where we had access to some of the best pizza around the New York-style, Chicago-style, and Old Forge-style. The area has great, local pizza shops practically every where. Now Portland has some good pizza places, but Apizza Scholls really stands in the same category as the best little pizza shops in New York. If you haven't eaten here yet, eat here. The pizza also isn't the only star, their appetizers, such as their Caesar salad, are house-made and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing red sauceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/15/2014Love the red sauce. Great that they will do half and half, you get to try moreSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant But...NathanDined on 2/15/2014Everything was awesome except for making reservations. I made reservations online for 6:45pm only to be told they didn't know I was coming because I made the reservation after they opened and it would be another 20 minutes before I could be seated. They kept saying that I "sneaked in ahead of others" which I thought was odd considering I made a reservation. Apparently if you make a reservation after they open you have to call them to let them know. It was a bit annoying because no where during the online booking did it say I should call them. Not a big deal because they bought us our first round of drinks. To the hostess maybe don't accuse people of sneaking in ahead of others when they have a reservation. I'll definitely come back.Special Features:
- Apizza Delicious!Redf00tDined on 2/12/2014My husband and I had reservations, walked and were seated immedately. We found the staff polite, helpful but the best was certainly the meal. We ordered two pies that had the most perfect, thin crust I thought I was in pizza heaven! We ordered one tartufo and one 1/2 surf & turf, 1/2 sausage & peppers. Both were the ultimate delight. Perfectly baked crust with awesome care in baking. I will never go to another pizzeria in Stumptown again! My go to spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always top notchMjk55Dined on 2/10/2014Fantastic pizza here, there is nothing else like it and I've tried most of the pizza in PDX and Clark countySpecial Features:
- expected morePIzzaFaceDined on 2/6/2014the review from yahoo claiming to be one of the 10 best in the country might not be accurate. our first experience was definitely better than the second. maybe we came on a 'bad' night. our server wasn't overly excited about us being there. awkward feeling for being in portland. pizzas were tasty but for 20+ for a pie... we will do pizza oasis on the west side next time.Special Features:
- Excellent NY style gourmet pizzaCarrPDXDined on 1/31/2014Fabulous salads, good beer and wine and the pizza is sublime. Sometimes the wait for a table is long so make a reservation through Open Table!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible crustNathanDined on 1/27/2014The pizza crust is incredible! It is thin, crisp, dotted with bubbles, and has a nice amount of char. It is the best crust I have had the pleasure of eating. My girlfriend and I ordered the margherita pizza. The ingredients were full of flavor, but the crust is in a league of its own. When you pick up a slice, it holds firm, and has a satisfying crunch when you take a bite. I heard great things about this place and was surprised to discover it is close to my home. I plan to return frequently and try the other certainly wonderful pizzas. I highly recommend Apizza Scholls!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pizza...best I've hadOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/24/2014Great pizza...best I've had in Portland. Pricey. Too crowded for such a small space, very noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Pizza, Poor Customer ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/21/2014They sold a couple different kinds of salads. One priced higher than the other. 1 was a caesar that uses romaine, and the other using mixed greens. The mixed greens one was the higher priced one. I wanted to order the higher priced one and get romaine lettuce instead of mixed greens. They said no. I was really suprised they chose to not make a sale and make the customer feel like a fool in front of friends and family. It was very arrogant, and I won't be back because of that reason. Leftover pizza was dropped on the floor. They did replace it slice for slice, however the size of the slices were way smaller, and we only got 2 different kinds of pizza verses the three that were dropped by the server. That said, the pizza was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best pizza in PortlandapmarlowDined on 1/20/2014My wife and I chose Apizza Scholls to celebrate our first 6 months of marriage. We'd been there once before and knew that, between their amazing NY style pies (I'm a born-and-raised NY pizza snob) and their newer option to make an online reservation, we had to go back! Everybody their was thoroughly enjoying their special food and the staff were very thoughtful and warm. Tip: if it's just you and your partner on a date, be sure to make a reservation or you'll be smushed in the back or sent next door to their louder/rowdier side (which is also a great place to enjoy their fare if you have a larger group that's not concerned with ambience). Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/18/2014Service amazing even on a Saturday night. Make a reservation though as seating is limited. This place is everything all the foodies say it is!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thin crust is good but theJtharrisDined on 1/12/2014Thin crust is good but the Pizza needs some ingredients.
- The best pizzaCicciaDined on 1/12/2014We are italian and it is so hard to find a good pizza... If you want to get one you have to try apizza scholls .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ridiculously good pizza!KerinaeDined on 1/10/2014The pizza was top knotch, definitly did not dissapoint! The menu selection was pretty good, as well as the service. We didn't have to wait too long for a table becuase we made the reservation ahead, which I would definitly reccomend to anyone planning on eating there. I would definitely go back!Special Features:
- DeliciousPortland541Dined on 1/2/2014Great pizza. Limited menu, small tables and the long wait are worth the pizza.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best. Pizza. EVER!JWegsDined on 12/29/2013Pizza is amazing, but be prepared for a long wait without reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- STILL CAN' FIGURE OUT THE HYPETeriDined on 12/22/2013It was good pizza, but not any better than many pizza jints here in Portland....Special Features:
- Not worth the hoopla.FlyPDXDined on 12/19/2013I didn't get it. I expected a lot more. Not impressed too much by the pizza. I love pizza and have eaten pizza all over the world. I thought it would be more like the pizza I used to get when I lived in New Jersey and New York. Yawn.
- Visit to Apizza SchollsPeggyDined on 12/16/2013recommended by a friend - the pizza here is good, but I wouldn't put it on my favorites - got to go to list. I knew Apizza Scholls does not serve neopolitan pizza (of which I am a fan) and upon indulging in their "New Haven" style pizza - realized I'm a die hard neopolitan fan. Although, I got to admit - their crust is outstanding!Special Features:
- Pizza heaven1977spDined on 11/27/2013Delicious pizza, it's our go to for birthdays and now our 1 year old can't get enough of it eitherSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!MindyDined on 11/25/2013Always a great time with amazing pizza. Love the ceasar salad!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply the BestBobBVIPDined on 11/25/2013I travel quite a bit for business both nationally and internationally. I do not care if I'm gone for 4-5 days on the east coast or 12-15 days in Asia. I could be eating a variety of different foods during these trips but when I get on that plane to come back to PDX I get that craving and I know that I will be visiting my go to place, Apizza Scholls within a few days. Make a reservation on Open Table, order a Caesar salad, Veggie Plate, NY Red with Capicolla (ask for it to be cooked for a minute or 2 longer for that cripsy crust) and a pitcher of Anchor Steam; OH MAN, Come on Baby; does it get any better than that? NFW, Foooorgettttaboutit; Now That's A Happy Ending!! Nuf Said BBSpecial Features:
- Wish the pizza crust was moreOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/24/2013Wish the pizza crust was more crunchy. Wasn't sure if it was the ingredients which lended to the lumpy crust (sausage), but it was a bit chewy. Girlfriend said jaw got tired of chewing. Had been there before with brother and it was awesome. Loved having Squirt.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pizza, snobby staffpizzacrazyDined on 11/23/2013The pizza was awesome. Our server was unfriendly, and didn't even look at us when she spoke. However, she attended our needs in a timely manner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A REAL GEMLOIEDined on 11/21/2013wonderful Ceasar salad, Wonderful Pizza, and wonderful and welcoming people waiting on us. A real hit with anyone we introduce it to.Special Features:
- Battle of pizzasKbgrDined on 11/17/2013My husband and I both love pizza. We go back and forth trying to rate our top 3 choices in Portland. Of course Apizza Scholls is one of the top 3. The great part about not being able to agree on which one is number 1 we keep rotating between our top choices. Apizza Scholls crust is perfect, topping selection is great and the salads are good. I love that we can now make reservations. :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing PizzaKatieDined on 11/14/2013This place should be on any Foodie's list for great pizza in PDX. As an ex-New Yorker I have strong opinions about good pizza and Apizza Scholls makes an awesome pie. As my husband said, "It tastes like New York." It's our favorite pizza in Portland, by far! The salads, anti-pasta, beer, and wine offerings are also great. Plus, they offer Moxie soda (delicious) and It's-it ice cream sandwiches :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!JudibyDined on 11/14/2013Love this pizza and the Caesar salade is delicious too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Pizza in PortlandVinnieDined on 11/12/2013Pizza was great. I've read that they have some crazy rules that you should check their web page for. We went in an low traffic time with reservation so we didn't notice.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!AalstarDined on 11/9/2013My wife and I drove down to Portland for the weekend to eat at few places we had heard great things about. We are so glad we chose to visit Apizza Scholls! We have eaten pizza all over the country and we rate it number one! Great east coast pizza; excellent sauce, crust and fresh toppings. We are already planning our return trip in a few weeks.Special Features:
- birthday dinnerSusanDined on 11/9/2013We saw a review on the Food Network and thought this would be a great place for my husband's birthday. Great food, service was great, and prices were affordable. We will surely will have a return dinner there and recommend to friends. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.