217 Eldridge St.
New York, NY 10002Neighborhood:
Lower East Side
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.apizz.com/
- Phone: (212) 253-9199
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday 6:00pm-11:0pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: John LaFemina
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant
A word from Apizz
A hidden treasure on the Lower East Side, Apizz cooks up Italian food in a stunning -- and huge -- wood-burning oven. The dining room is intimate and cozy, rustic yet modern, and perfect for first dates or dining with friends. Like its décor, the menu at Ápizz is a blend of old and new. The menu consists of updated versions of Italian classics like Wild Boar Lasagna and Open Ravioli with Butternut Squash, as well as Oven-Roasted Whole Fish and a braised short rib gnocchi.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Apizz reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (27)fit for foodies (27)romantic (22)special occasion (12)notable wine list (7)good for groups (4)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Neighborhood Italian Gem in "Upper" LESJoshGVIPDined on 11/15/2014Just around the corner from Katz's Deli, Russ & Daughters, and the Landmark indie film theater, this neighborhood Italian is a little gem. On what looks like an almost abandoned block just below E. Houston, you find a warm, almost intimate interior of woods and warm fire light. And "where's the fire"? Emanating from a large brick oven where almost everything is cooked - not just the flat pizza-apps. The service is attentive - the atmosphere relaxing, even pretty - and the food is outstanding and imaginative (a Veal Bolognese with bow-tie pasta is brilliant). Not "gourmet" - but a real find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Feels datedabcdVIPDined on 11/13/2014Good food but the whole thing feels a little dated now. We were pretty much left to our own devices in terms of service. They were polite on the rare occasions that we saw them.Special Features:
- Great grilled fishsuttonplaceVIPDined on 11/9/2014The Bronzino is grilled in their open hearth oven. You get a whole grilled filleted Bronzino. Perhaps the best fresh and juicy fish I ever ate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/25/2014Dinner was very enjoyable. Apizz is one of a few restaurants that never seems to disappoint us. The food and service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Apizz AppealTBSNYCVIPDined on 10/17/2014If you're walking too fast, you'll walk right by this great little spot so slow when you smell the wood burning. A good wait staff try their best but need to up their game to keep up with the great food. With that said, I recommend to Italian food lovers and go often.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/17/2014Great date night! Veal bolognese was delicious! Can't wait to go backSpecial Features:
- Nice EscapeMike1786Dined on 10/14/2014My significant other and I typically dine out usually further up town. After reading a review on infatuation.com I decided to treat us to dinner at Apizz. I'm glad we did. It was a welcome escape from the usual noisy and crowded restaurants were used to. We actually were able to carry on a normal conversation over delicious food without having to strain to hear or raise your voice to near shouting level. The food was great, the service on point and the ambiance romantic. Will be back!Special Features:
- family dinnervleeckerDined on 9/30/2014My family's grown. We went to Apizz to share a meal and conversation. Success. The room is lovely and golden, the server was brusque, and the food was decent with the exception of the gnocchi, which were aggressively tasteless. I go back, but steer clear of the gnocchi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NICE FINDkungfuVIPDined on 9/13/2014EXCELLANT FOOD GREAT COCKTAILS, HUGE PORTIONS VERY ATTENTIVE STAFF AND A GREAT NEIGHBORHOOD FIND. TRY THE SHRIMP APP. HAD THE WHOLE BRANZINO EXCELLANTSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVELuckyDined on 9/12/2014We had the best time! Huge portions but great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/29/2014The jewel of the neighborhood. The food is delicious, the cozy setting along with the professional service make your dining experience very special indeedSpecial Features:
- Great SurpriseDavidDinesOutVIPDined on 8/28/2014As you walk down the block you don't get the feeling you are about to enter culinary heaven. this is a wonderful relaxed spot for great Italian food.Special Features:
- Elegant and DeliciousshootaDined on 8/23/2014Cannot say enough about Apizz - had dinner on a Saturday night and EVERYTHING was perfect - the service was courteous, efficient, friendly, polite, polished, etc....the food was excellent - VERY tasty (read: "melt in your mouth")...I had the chicken, my family had the crabmeat pasta and veal bolognese....ALL OF IT was so flavorful, hot, perfect texture, etc.....desert was more of the same with the chocolate cake and vanilla gelato. Great wine selection. Ambiance was perfect - elegant but relaxed, calm and quiet but not too quiet...great lighting, decor and music. Overall - totally recommend going. A bit pricey, but totally worth it if you want a truly memorable, satisfying NYC dining experience at a restaurant with CHARACTER.Special Features:
- Hidden AwayBarbaraVIPDined on 8/15/2014A little tough to find, but what a treat when you do. We were there early and really enjoyed the quiet and ability to converse. I don't know what it's like when the "bar scene" gets going, if it ever does. The food was exceptional in every way. I shall return.Special Features:
- Great fishsuttonplaceVIPDined on 7/27/2014We loved the fresh Bronzino that was baked in the open ovenSpecial Features:
- The following 776 reviews are from the Apizz reviews archive.
- Apizz my appetiteamorgieDined on 7/19/2014Solid menu, consistently great food, nice wine list with many wines reasonably priced.Special Features:
- PretentiousGingerDined on 6/28/2014This restaurant will NOT make any adjustments to their menu for allergies, dietary restrictions, or any other reason. The salad looked nice but was over-dressed and too vinegary. The staff was dismissive. Pretentious and just bad.
- Second Time AroundOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/26/2014We had friends from out of town that were staying in a nearby LES hotel, so we chose A Pizz for location, plus we wanted to come back after having eaten here about a year ago. We were not disappointed and our friends enjoyed our choice. We chose the daily fish special, a nice prepared bronzino, the lobster risotto, plus two different pizzas. The food was fresh, tasty, and nicely presented. Our waiter was attentive, tho' perhaps a bit too eager to get our drink order. The nicely back-lit dining room was packed, tho' we had no trouble hearing each other and getting caught up. Solid meal, tho' not necessarily inventive. We will be back.
- Yumm!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/25/2014A friend recommended this place to me as I rarely frequent the lower east side. It is on a quiet street and yet close enough that getting a cab after dinner was no problem. The interior is very ambient. It's dark inside but with lots of low lights for atmosphere. The fire oven if visible as well as the kitchen from the dining room. The food was excellent. I had the butternut ravioli which was amazing. My friend had the entire fish which was cooked perfectly. I would definitely recommend this restaurant and if I am ever down that way again, would certainly go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Even bought the book!aaronmcoVIPDined on 6/21/2014My Wife and I got a recommendation to visit Apizz. From our experiences with Raoul at the bar to sitting down in a comfortable table with impeccable service; we knew we weren't going to be disappointing. I research the amazing wines before arriving at the dinner but with hesitation, confident Raoul not only pick the perfect wines for us but fully explained the menu; the half portions available so you can have a variety. We had four appetizers for the table the octopus, shrimp, meatballs, and salads were all amazing and flavorful; entrees were again perfect in every way. I had to know more about this restaurant and its Chef, next day i read the whole book and have already tried out a few of the recipes.Special Features:
- Divine Diningmom2diVIPDined on 6/21/2014Everything we ordered was delicious--pizza, oven roasted branzino (best we ever had), pasta, lobster risotto, shrimp and calamari appetizers. Even the ricotta spread for the bread was divine. Apizz serves exceptional food in a comfortable atmosphere with excellent service.Special Features:
- great food, cave-like restaurantetc1Dined on 6/20/2014I made a last minute reservation and was pleasantly surprised. Food was great. The Chorizo Pizza and Raviloi Con Zucca were favorites among the table. The only draw back I see is the ambience. The restaurant is dark, no windows, and cave-like.
- Great foodKesslercDined on 6/14/2014The food was great here. My only issue, and it's not even a real "issue," was the waitstaff. We were never greeted by a server when we sat, someone just showed up, asked us what wine we wanted, then apparently he was our waiter. He did a fine job the rest I the night, just an awkward start. Also, he may have been too attentive. I don't need my wine topped off every 3 minutes, especially when I haven't taken a sip. Overall, good place and I would recommend for the food alone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet & Romantic GemBowTailsDined on 5/25/2014Visited over Memorial Day weekend with my girlfriend and had an amazing dinner at Apizz. We are still talking about it five months later and agree that it was one of the best dining experiences we've ever had. Reservations were promptly honored and the proprietor showed us to a romantic table near the window with a great view of the kitchen. We both had the off menu specials and a bottle of Super Tuscan. Dinner was delicious, dessert was fantastic, and while it was busy it was very quiet. Wonderful for conversation and a romantic meal. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Fantastic FishsuttonplaceVIPDined on 5/20/2014We had a fabulous dinner. We started with very full and tasty salads. The whole open oven baked branzino was about the best we ate anywhere. It was fresh, moist and delicious.Special Features:
- APIZZ EXPERIENCE.Dineout8daysaweekDined on 5/18/2014GREAT FOOD, SERVICE @ AMBIANCE. NOISE LEVEL LOW, VERY GOOD LOOKING INTERIOR,VERY GOOD PLATE PRESENTATION. THE WINE GLASS SHOULD BE REPLACED WITH A LIGHTER WEIGHT MORE LUXURIOUS LOOKING AND BETTER FEELING IN THE HAND GLASS. IN SUMMATION WE HAD A WONDERFUL DINING EXPERIENCE AND A WONDERFUL EVENING.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't stay, but still enjoyedLittleItalyLocalDined on 5/17/2014My wife was feeling ill, so we had to leave before our main dishes came. However, everything leading up to that point was amazing. Cocktails were tasty, the bread with ricotta and marinera sauce was delicious, and our appetizer was good. Our dishes we took home did not live up to the experience, but that is likely because we had to wait 20 minutes after receiving them to eat them when we got back to the hotel. All in all, this place is a solid choice for a night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, food and ambianceAliceCDined on 5/11/2014My family went to Apizz for the first time on Mothers Day as we had taken a tour over at the Tenement Museum. Picked it based on location and reviews and was very pleased with the choice. The pizza with spinach and cheese and one large salad as an appetizer was perfect for the 4 of us. All of our meals were delicious and so filling that we did not have room to taste dessert! Hopefully next time we can have dessert and those yummy looking meatballs we did not try yet!!Special Features:
- ApizzloviDined on 5/3/2014Service was perfect until they (kindly) asked us if we could move to the bar after finishing our main course, since there was four people waiting for a table. After moving to the bar the waitress started neglecting us. Some friends of hers came in to the restaurant and she started chatting with them instead of giving service. It seemed like she had forgotten about us and we had to wait for a long time to get the check. We left the restaurant with a feeling of unsatisfaction. Too bad, since the food was good.Special Features:
- Happy First timerfoodloverVIPDined on 5/3/2014Found Apizz while searching for a new place on the LES and A'pizz sounded nice. The restaurant was on a residential block all alone with a neon sign and a funky entrance that led into a world of fantastic food, great service and a really great vibe. A'pizz is one room with an oven, literally with perhaps 15 tables where two cooks turn out truly terrific food. Our server was great, service spot on and just a totall pleasure. I will be back that's for sure...one of the best meals I have had in months....Special Features:
- Everything revolves around the ovenGallagherDined on 4/25/2014The oven is the center of the food at Apizz. The bread made in it is amazing! The pizzas made in it are equally excellent. Great obscure Italian wine list of bottles one rarely sees in the US, but overpriced even for NY (Marked up 4X retail).Special Features:
- Lost on me...OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/25/2014This restaurant came highly recommended by a bunch of people who have solid creds. I thought every dish we ordered (including the famed lasagna) was quite average. Bottom line is I was disappointed...especially at that price point.
- Apizz Dinner for 3AFullStomachDined on 4/11/2014Food was flavorful and the menu offered a not too large selection to choose from but with plenty of variety. True to the servers word, the wild boar lasagna was not gamey, and indeed very tasty. Short rib gnocchi was the best meal on the menu, hearty, well seasoned, but with not too large gnocchi to avoid overwhelming the dish. Pair the short ribs with a glass of Barolo and you'll be a happy camper. Good food, great wine. My only critique would be the light fixture cover that fell on our table during the meal was a bit worrying. In return we got free desert which was a nice gesture. Overall a great experience but there is room for improvement.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eh....DianneDined on 4/11/2014The restaurant wasn't what I expected. Being from an Italian home, I know what "APizz" means, unfortunately, this place didn't impress. When we arrived, the ambiance is delightful, however spanish music was playing in the background. I thought that was odd, but then thought it even odder that a pizza would have "chorizo" on it! I wanted a salad with grilled chicken before sharing pizza with my friends.....they couldn't accomodate; they didn't have any grilled chicken! So, we asked for cannellini beans instead...they were hard as a rock!! We ordered a few "pizza's". They arrived on a rectangular appetizer size plate...about the size of a normal forearm. To sum it up, the ambiance was sweet, but the food so-so and really overpriced.Special Features:
- Great night at ApizzAdventuresOfJohnAndCatDined on 4/6/2014My girlfriend and I dined at Apizz on Sunday (4/6/14) and had a wonderful time. The service was warm and friendly. The bread (served with marinara sauce and ricotta cheese) was great, the pizza appetizer was delicious and the mains (shared the gnocci with short rib and the open ravioli with buttenut squash) were excellent. The wait staff was attentive and helpful. The space was warm and cozy and the large open hearth gave the place a very romantic feel. My girlfriend had asked for help in choosing between two desserts and our waiter brought us both (the one we didnt order on the house). Highly recommend for a date or dinner with friends/family. Will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always, the food was great-meatbOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/6/2014As always, the food was great-meatballs and gnocchi were big hits. Service friendly without being overbearing. The brick walls and fire in the oven create a warm and cozy atmosphere. We have been many times before and will continue to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We've been there a numberCaseyDined on 4/2/2014We've been there a number of times and the food, service and ambience have always been great!Special Features:
- charming delicious LESModelsEatVIPDined on 4/1/2014This place is really nice, brick walls, nice lighting, cosy atmosphere w sophistication. stands out from all other LES restaurants. Oven roasted branzino is done to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AWESOME experience!!! FoodHungryDogDined on 3/21/2014AWESOME experience!!! Food was delicious, everything was just perfect!! Love the hot tomato sauce, and ricotta that is served with the complimentary bread!! Gnocchi, mini pizza, lasagna was absolutely amazing!!!! I plan on going back soon!!! YUMMMMM!!!! A+++Special Features:
- Dining at Apizz.y90zivDined on 3/20/2014So we went there me and my girl for our two year anniversary.. if only we checked the menu before we went there... the place looks great and all and also is the menu altho it was very short menu. Me & my girlfriend don't eat pork/seafood like lobster and most of the menu was that... so we were very picky in the choices.. but what we choose was very good.Special Features: