426 State Street
Schenectady, NY 12305Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.aperitivobistro.com/
- Phone: (518) 579-3371
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Courtney Withey
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please inquire for details.
- Private Party Facilities: In addition to the main dining room, there is a private event room for up to 30 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Katie Boughton 5185793371
A word from Aperitivo Bistro
Piattini comes to downtown Schenectady. Italian for "small plates", Aperitivo Bistro serves the ultimate Piattini selections - from the traditional fried calamari to stuffed artichoke hearts and sushi. Other selections include specialty pizzas, fabulous pasta dishes and larger plate selections called “Piatti”. Piattini are meant to be shared along with a glass of wine or cup of espresso. The decor is chic metropolitan, with exposed brick and creative use of metals.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Aperitivo Bistro - Best Restaurants in Schenectady ›
Aperitivo Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
99 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (68)special occasion (54)neighborhood gem (52)good for groups (34)hot spot (34)vibrant bar scene (31)romantic (26)great for lunch (25)notable wine list (25)late-night find (21)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (3)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Our waitress was terrible.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/21/2009Our waitress was terrible. There wasn't enough wait-staff to handle the busy crowd. I mentioned 3 times that we had to catch a show and couldn't be late and she made no attempt to hurry up and get our bill. Also, for the price of the food, I left there very very hungry. The bread in the basket was the most filling thing and it wasn't even that good. I know its all about small plates, but if they were any smaller, they wouldn't exist. For the amount of money we spent, there are many other fine dining restaurants in the area I would have rather eaten at, such as The Brown Derby. Also, There was no wine list given to us. I was under the impression that wine was a big deal at this restaurant. I was dissapointed.Special Features:
- The servers and atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/21/2009The servers and atmosphere were very pleasing. However the food left much to be desired. The warm mozarrella lacked real flavor and intensity. The beef in the beef skewers was grizzly and hard to chew. The polenta was underdone and mushy. The rigatoni bolognase was O.K., but definitely something I could have gotten anywhere for a lot less money. The stand out dish was the stuffed portobello mushroom. I wish every dish had as much flavor. Our table spent about $300 for what was supposed to be a special occassion. Although the atmosphere and servers were wonderful, that doesn't really make up for bad food. We definitely will look for a different restaurant on our next visit to Schenectady.Special Features:
- i wasnt impressed at all thisOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/15/2009i wasnt impressed at all this place is a rip off. dont plan on sharing the appetizers with your date cause there is barely enough for one person.
- Appertivo has a wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/15/2009Appertivo has a wonderful light fare menu. The Calamari and the Pizza were outstanding. Service was prompt and efficient and not over bearing.
- Minor service glitch in thatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/14/2009Minor service glitch in that server forgot to bring bread before entrees, otherwise very prompt and efficient.Special Features:
- Had a great experience. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/13/2009Had a great experience. The wait staff was very good and the food was great.Special Features:
- The food was not very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/12/2009The food was not very good for the price. I had the petit filet which was dry, the garlic mashed potatoes were also dry. The grilled asparagus was fine. My husband had the NY Strip and he thought the same as I, everything was dry and very overpriced!
- The food was even better thisJamieVIPDined on 3/8/2009The food was even better this time. The menu choices are nice.Special Features:
- We were pleasantly surprised!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/28/2009We were pleasantly surprised! Easy to make reservations,we were seated promptly upon arrival; wait staff very knowledgeable of menu,friendly,efficient. Atmosphere was quaint and a good-fit for its location. Our lg plate dinners were excellent-exactly how they were descibed,presentation & taste top-notch! We were too full for dessert but look forward to returning to try some lighter fares with room for dessert-what a great find!!!Special Features:
- Average food, a bit sub-parOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/26/2009Average food, a bit sub-par service, noisy. Nothing notableSpecial Features:
- Good overall- piattini (littleOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2009Good overall- piattini (little plates) excellent & quite superior to the two entrees we had. Tables along the bench seat quite close together.
- The food was excellent, theOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2009The food was excellent, the service just a touch spotty, we had to remind the waiter to bring bread and soda, but he picked up the pace after that an finished just fine. Dessert (Chocolate raspberry cake) was excellent. My only complaint is that the tables are just a touch too close together, so that having a private conversation was just a bit difficult, and getting in an out of the bench seat against the wall just a bit tight (and we're not tubby). Overall, a good place and we will go back again.Special Features:
- The food was very good. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/13/2009The food was very good. The only negative comment I have is that you don't receive alot of food for the price that is paid. In comparison to Creo where the prices were about the same, yet they provided a good amount of food.Special Features:
- our dining experience wasOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/13/2009our dining experience was great fun! we do not go out often,so the experience at aperitivo was a special treat for us.our server was wonderful.she seemed to take special care of us. we did not know what to expect[as we had not eaten there before] so the 'tappa' menu was a bit of a surprise.....but the food was excellent and presentation wonderful.[loved my ricotta fritter/apple caramel dessert!...martini glass et al]Special Features:
- The food quality at AperitivoOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/12/2009The food quality at Aperitivo was excellent. The atmosphere was relaxing, and the service was prompt and personal. The prices were higher than those of other restaurants in the area, but were worth it if you are willing to splurge for a great meal/experience. The wine list was also impressive.Special Features:
- I have lived all over theOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/11/2009I have lived all over the World and in my opinion, this is the best restuarant. The only downfall is that it is a little to expensive.Special Features:
- They were very busy the nightOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/31/2009They were very busy the night we were there. The service was mediocre. Our orders were mixed up several times. When the food arrived it was not warm enough. I am not inclined to visit this restaurant again.
- Restaurant week: 1) The "VegetableOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/30/2009Restaurant week: 1) The "Vegetable Spring Rolls" was one. Very nice but not plural as advertised. 2) The "Penne Vodka Grilled Chicken" appeared to miss a major ingredient - chicken. The story given was that it was all ground up in the sauce but that was questionable. 2 of us eventually found 2 dime size pieces in the penne. Raising the issue was not received well at first as "we were the only ones to complain so far" but they did bring out 2 small bowls of ohicken and sauce. Pity the penne was gone already and that the chicken had little flavor anyway. We were treated to a chocolate pizza on the house which was very good. From past experience though we'll stiok to the pizza's next time.
- The ambiance and the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/25/2009The ambiance and the food were both excellent. I was happily surprised to find such a fine restuarant in Schnectady. I will be back!Special Features:
- The restaruant had a cozyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/24/2009The restaruant had a cozy relaxed feel. Excellent choice for a romantic evening for two. The Veal Maria was very good. It was a perfect choice for dinner before a show at Proctor's.Special Features:
- We went to Aperitivo beforeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/21/2009We went to Aperitivo before a Proctors show. We used the special Proctors Show menu guaranteed to get you there by curtain time. The food was delicious; the service impecable. We had a 6:00 p.m. reservation but 6:30 would still have allowed plenty of time to get to the show. The only criticism was the bar - the bilinis were uneven - sometimes sweet and sometimes so sour you puckered uncontrollably. We'll stick with the wine next time.Special Features:
- the tuna tartare would haveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/14/2009the tuna tartare would have been outstanding if it was mildly hot - thought it was a bit too hot I was having a great festival in my mouth until the heat of the spice overcame the wonderful texture/flavors the online reservation feature is GREAT! Our server, I think last name is Vendetti, was EXCELLENT!
- My daughter and I were attendingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/10/2009My daughter and I were attending a show at Proctor's, our server asked if we were seeing a show, and throught the course of our meal she was mindful of the time. We were delighted! Great service, she took the time to explain menu in laymans terms for my teenage daughter. We never felt rushed and the food was wonderful. We will definately be returning! The protion size was just right, we even had dessert, which was delicious! The Warm Banana Cheesecake, to die for! So happy to see such an upscale, but "people" friendly establishment come back to down town Schenecatdy!Special Features:
- One can craft just the rightOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/27/2008One can craft just the right amount of food and variety to satisfy. No need to overspend for a heaping platter of food you can't eat.Special Features:
- This great restaurant verySobriquetVIPDined on 11/28/2008This great restaurant very close to Proctors was a real treat - who knew a place like this was in the middle of Schenectady? We had a bunch of piattini that came out lightning fast and were very good. Always be sure to check out the specials. The place was a little on the expensive side, but the food was high quality. Our server was ok, but definitely not as attentive as others. I'd definitely recommend this place if you're going to a show!Special Features:
- The service was great andJamieVIPDined on 11/16/2008The service was great and the food just as good. For a romantic dinner, ask for a table upstairs overlooking Lark Street. The bar scene downstairs seemed open and relaxing.Special Features:
- Very crowded and the waitressIronicDined on 11/1/2008Very crowded and the waitress lost track of us. We got very tired of waiting for her attention, and ended up leaving only a 15% tip and cancelling one entree because she was so inattentive. It ruined the experience, our first with this restaurant.Special Features:
- Varied menu with lots of opportunitOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/10/2008Varied menu with lots of opportunities to mix and match with your fellow diners and share appetizers, pizza and dessert. We had a very attentive, friendly server.
- On a recent Saturday my husbandOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/27/2008On a recent Saturday my husband and another couple visted the restuarant. The atmosphere was nice; tall cielings, exposed brick, great lighting. The menu looked wonderful too! The party took sometime to order as we wanted one of everything. When the food arrived it looked great. Unfortuanately, upon tasting it was just OK. My fresh mozz roulade was prepared days a head and tasted like it. The portobello mushroom appetizer was tasteless. The soup was ok. The main meals faired the same way. Friemd order the nucci's and they were not homemade. Duo tournades were cooked wonderfully, yet small portion. The chicken scarp. was fried in batter and slightly greasy. Wine list was great! We will not return as their are so many other restaurants.Special Features:
- Don't be fooled by the small-plateBobbyVIPDined on 9/25/2008Don't be fooled by the small-plate ads ... you can get a full dinner here that you won't want to share! Oh, sure, you can go app, but the entree options are plenty and fulfilling.Special Features:
- The only drawback of thissldfDined on 9/19/2008The only drawback of this place is that it is VERY noisy. Lots of people and lots of hard surfaces for all the noise to bounce off of. The service was excellent and the food was good. While it was a nice dinner, we'll probably not return because of the noise level. We litterally had to yell across the table to hear each other.Special Features:
- My friend and I booked throughOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/14/2008My friend and I booked through your site and it was our first time at Aperitivo's. We almost missed our show we were having such a great time and the food was outstanding, we totally forgot all about time! Our server, Johnny was just wonderful, attentive, personable and answered all our questions without being condescending. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who loves equisite food and a beautiful hip atmosphere.Also, the Appletini's were the best I have ever had, not too sweet, not too tart, just right. Cudos to the bartender. I felt like I was in a bistro in New York City without the high NYC prices! If I could give it 10 stars, I would!Special Features:
- Great food and ambiance.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/12/2008Great food and ambiance. Servers were wonderful and made sure we were out in time for our show.Special Features:
- Good, but the not all tapasbbmlDined on 8/16/2008Good, but the not all tapas were good value for money. One spring roll cut in two pieces is $7, for example. Creative menu, however, and nice range of choices that accommodate both conservative and adventurous palates.Special Features:
- A good spot for 30 and 40-somethingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/9/2008A good spot for 30 and 40-somethings. Good food with a good wine list - suitable for dinner or apps before/after a show. Always very good service.Special Features:
- Is part of the renasance ofOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/31/2008Is part of the renasance of resturants in downtown Schenectady. Tapas style as well as more tradtional Italian fare. Don't expect "huge" portions in Tapas style, but expect to experience a wide range in experiences. Always liked to select several items and try alot of different things. Pizza is thin crust, but very tasty, and doesn't leave you feeling like its expanding in your gut. Bar was exceptional in range as well as quantity. Service was 5 star.Special Features:
- The food was excellent andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/28/2008The food was excellent and the service even more so; the menu offered a variety of choices of both "small plates" and entrees.Special Features:
- This is the first time I'veOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/23/2008This is the first time I've sat in the rear room of this place. While the food/wine was still fantastic, I missed the vibrant bistro atmosphere in the front.Special Features:
- My dining partners had pattinniOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/11/2008My dining partners had pattinni which they both enjoyed. One said it was the best pattinni he had ever had. I had filet. My food was a tad oversalted, however, the experience was very enjoyable. We will definitely make a trip back.Special Features:
- We all had a very good time,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/11/2008We all had a very good time, and our waitress Katie was very accomodating and informative. We enjoyed her as much as the food and ambiance of the restuarant. Im sure that we will be there again!!Special Features: