Anton & Michel Restaurant
Mission St & 7th Ave
Carmel-by-the-Sea, CA 93921-4917Neighborhood:
EuropeanPrice: $31 to $50
Anton & Michel Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.carmelsbest.com/antonmichel
- Phone: 8316242406x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Continental, Californian
- Executive Chef: Mark Simpson
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Anton & Michel can accommodate parties of 10 to 100. The semi private Fireplace Rooms seats up to 26 guests and the Fountain Room seats up to 50 guests. The whole restaurant can seat 100 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Bert Simpson 8316242406x
A word from Anton & Michel Restaurant
Since 1980, Anton & Michel has consistently maintained an award-winning reputation for true excellence in the art of fine dining. A complete interior remodel in 2013 features handset stonework throughout and an expanded lounge. The floor to ceiling windows offer breathtaking views of the Court of the Fountains. Zagat Survey calls it “Carmel’s long-standing paean to graciousness in dining out". Along with updated and contemporary changes to the menus, ultimate table side service and spectacular flambé desserts remain. As quoted in the Wine Spectator, Anton & Michel is “probably the best dining experience in downtown Carmel-by-the-Sea”.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Anton & Michel Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Carmel ›
Anton & Michel Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
93 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (53)romantic (50)notable wine list (42)fit for foodies (35)neighborhood gem (29)great for lunch (21)great for outdoor dining (10)good for groups (8)scenic view (7)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (3)hot spot (2)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Ambience is excellentJcaveDined on 10/22/2014The newly remodeled restaurant is very attractive. I especially liked the stone work walls and the window view of the courtyard fountain was very nice.Special Features:
- SophiaPhiaDined on 10/19/2014Food was cold, not very tasty, the waiter neglected to tell us after bringing out 3 dinners, that they ran out of steak for the fourth person. They did offer is as compensation dessert We would never consider goi g back to this reataurant!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/18/2014Our experience at Anton & Michel was outstanding. The food was great, the wine list complete and the service was second to none. We had dined there in the past, but were very impressed with their recent renovation. The interior is light and airy without being noisy. Can't wait to return.Special Features:
- Quiet in heart of Carmel by the SeaCarmelFoodLoverDined on 10/18/2014Quiet, elegant dining. Service was attentive, food was wonderfully presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tried and True FavoriteMrsBDined on 10/17/2014We have been eating at Anton & Michel for over 25 years, and always find that we have a beautifully prepared, and attractively served, meal, with excellent service.Special Features:
- A Carmel GemNew2PGDined on 10/15/2014My wife and I have been going to Anton & Michel for special occasions for many years. The food, wine list, and service have always been first rate! Now that we live in the area, we've become regular patrons.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a dining pleasuretennisman35Dined on 10/15/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our latest dining experience at Anton and Michel. We had a nice quiet table next to the window looking out into the courtyard. We were warmly greeted and the service we received was top-notch throughout the evening. Wine selection was good and the food was excellent! We ended our dining with some of the best Irish coffees we have ever had. Thanks to everyone who made dining here such a pleasureable experience!Special Features:
- Outstanding for 40 years!!!roadgormetDined on 10/11/2014This restaurant has an excellent kitchen! We had the lamb fixed price menu which was cooked to perfection. This was the second consecutive Anniversary my wife and celebrated there. It was outstanding last year and again this year. I cannot praise Anton and Michele enough. It was outstanding 20 years ago and it still is!! The service is outstanding by exceptional waiter and waitresses. Last year it was Tiffany and this year it was Victor. They are real professionals who care about you.Special Features:
- Courtyard dining a mustNorCalSusyDined on 10/10/2014A beautiful day in Carmel. This restaurant has elegant indoor AND outdoor dining and unlike other Carmel establishments, is not at all "snooty". We chose the courtyard, which is serene and very romantic with two water features, beautiful landscaping, and an atrium, enclosed feel. The service was outstanding and the food delicious for our anniversary lunch. Husband chose the special: sole stuffed with crab over salad, which was beautifully presented and which he enjoyed very much. I opted for my all-time favs when dining out for lunch: French onion soup and French fries---how could you go wrong with that choice?! Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We alway have love coming!!DeniseDined on 10/8/2014Service has always been excellent! We have been coming for years and the food, ambiance.. and staff has always been excellent!! Look forward to many more visits to come!! Thanks you for a great time! 😘Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Refined diningNoAxe2GrindDined on 9/28/20148:30pm evening reservation on a slow weekend. Restaurant was almost vacant, so they were closing down while we dined. Food was very good, not outstanding. Service matched. Better results likely if dining during prime time. Halibut w Jasmine rice: worth every bite. NY Strip with brandy peppercorn: Not my first preference, but waiter recommended. Properly prepared, but a bit tough. Wait staff very attentive even as they were closing down. Tables spaced for good privacy, lighting appropriate. Town is a haven for fine dining, and this 4S establishment has strong competition.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful evening with friendsVinylfeverDined on 9/26/2014Our server Lauriel was very sweet, funny, attentive, and professional. The food was very good but not spectacular. The restaurant was beautifully done and our experience was what we were looking for to enjoy the company of our good friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant but menu lacking creativityleomintDined on 9/20/2014In an area such as Carmel, there should be more of a concerted effort to serve organic or sustainable foods especially with a heavy meat menu. The vegetarian options were lacking, and the waiter was surly when we asked basic questions such as the above. The restaurant is elegant and is a special dining destination for special occasions.Special Features:
- Still Great, but...BobFDined on 9/19/2014Been coming here for many years to celebrate our anniversary...used Open Table this time to make the reservation... Every prior year, we always received the special table we requested... back room by a courtyard window. This year, the walk ins got them first. Seems open table special requests are not as well received as the personal phone conversation. For good seating, call direct. Table side Caesar salad and table side flambe deserts are an especially nice visual treat to a begin and end a wonderful meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/16/2014Sadly, the food was quite a disappointment. We asked to split an entree, the filet mignon, and the kitchen split the steak before grilling it, so that it came out medium well, not medium rare. After some consternation on the part of the wait staff, the steak was replaced. But it was still not as tender nor flavorful as one might have expected. Like the bar menu but not the dining room. Our 25th wedding anniversary. Could have done much better on our choice of restaurant.Special Features:
- SamthewineguyVIPDined on 9/12/2014We all agreed. This was the worst dining experience in the last ten years or more. The remodel was beautiful and more contemporary but the food is an unmitigated, mediocre disaster. There wasn't a single redeeming dish. The table side Caesar salad, a restaurant signature, was very poor at best. The wedge salad had a dressing with so much vinegar in it that that was all you could taste. The main courses were devoid of any flavor or seasoning. It was as if they were prepared for people on a no salt diet who did not care for pepper either. The three filets were not even filets--more likely the lowest grade of choice sirloins. The advertised red wine sauce was missing, the accompanying potatoes and vegetables were tasteless and unattractive.
- past its prime?OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/10/2014rack of lamb was tasty but the rest of the meal fell flat. vegetables over cooked, asked for very light on the salad dressing but got served drenched in oil. cherries jubilee less than jubilant. we have been going there for several years when we visit Carmel. not in a hurry to go back, too many other good choices available.Special Features:
- Wonderful Sunset DinnerRickzVIPDined on 9/10/2014The sunset dinner is priced very well, especially considering Anton & Michel is in Carmel by the Sea which tends to be a little pricey. The quality is consistent with what you get later in the evening and the selections cover many of the regular menu items. The service is outstanding from the moment you enter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice......BogeyDined on 9/9/2014Enjoyed our meal after it was cooked table side for us.......knowledgable staff, and friendly too. Manager was terrific and engaging. Would recommend to othersSpecial Features:
- Elegant, comfortable, but relaxedcodycoleDined on 9/4/2014Busy at the "Sunset" hour, when the older people in town dine, this lovely restaurant is very quiet and romantic later on. The food is very good. Two of us dined and the starters were a Hawaiian tuna tartar and a roast tomato & salmon risotto, followed by a barramundi filet of fish over a marvelous crispy kale, with vegetables and rice (the owner's favorite); and a filet mignon, cooked to perfection but which my dinner companion found had a strange flavor. We each had half bottles of wine from a very good selection (Rutherford cabernet & Grgich Hills fume blanc). No dessert. Service was charming and amusing. The restaurant was almost empty on this Thursday night at 8:30pm. Most locals dine earlier.Special Features:
- Special OccasionCharlieTSJDined on 9/3/2014Wonderful restaurant, food, service, and ambiance. Treated to an exceptional evening of fine food and relaxation. The service was attentive without being overbearing. I would strongly recommend this excellent restaurant for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot and coldFarfromhomeDined on 8/30/2014Service was hot and cold. When they got guys later it was clear they were understaffed. The duck was fantastic. By desert we were forgotten about and our cherries jubilee was left wanting.Special Features:
- Very Good SpotJDranVIPDined on 8/30/2014We had a wonderful dinner. Food and wine was very good and moderatly priced. Service was less than stellar but the food made the evening.Special Features:
- Expected moreEarlamosDined on 8/26/2014Admittedly we are used to the SF food scene however we expected food at the level we are used to at this restaurant. Sadly it was disappointing. The fish was over cooked and cold at serving. This place presents as a top line restaurant and has the look but needs to do better at this price point.Special Features:
- Super little placeKateyeDined on 8/23/2014Great place that acted as though they were happy to see you! Service was very good, followed by outstanding food - especially loved the dessert. Worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious nightLuv2dineDined on 8/23/2014My girlfriend and I went here for our first date and it was fantastic. I ordered the prawns and scallop pasta and she got the pesto salmon. Both were very good. Service was very good, our drinks were always filled and our server and the busser were very prompt. It's was a bit pricy, I ended up spending about 100 dollars, but I'm a college student so anything over 40 bucks for two people us expensive for me haha. Overall a great nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic and consistentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/22/2014Have been going here for years and have always found the menu well balanced and have never been disappointed with the entre I picked for the evening. Service has always been good and the decor is very nicely done. Very good wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old World Charm in CarmelJuror17Dined on 8/19/2014This 30 year old restaurant, handsomely redecorated, is right in the heart of town, overlooking a courtyard and reflecting pool. The wait staff are seasoned veterans - gracious, professional and genuinely interested in diners having a good experience. This is a restaurant that still offers traditional favorites such as Bananas Foster and Cherries Jubilee flamed at table side, a blast from the past. Food is delicious if a bit pricey: my Wagu short ribs were mouthwateringly tender, and each plate was a brilliant assemblage of colors and texture, a delight to the eyes as well as the palate.Special Features:
- Very nice Carmel spottropicalefanVIPDined on 8/17/2014This review would have been so much better had we not been seated next to some blow hard pontificating about any and all topics from the riots in the south to Obama being a bad president to the end of the world coming soon. He was so loud it ruined the experience for us. He was a local and nobody said anything but really can't you ask these people to talk lower? The whole dining room could hear this blow hard!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Restaurant in CarmeltouristdinersDined on 8/16/2014food was bvery good. the wine list was excellent and not to pricy.The wait staff were courteous and gave us plenty of time between courses. When we go back to Carmel back to Carmel we will definitely make reservations here. Book in advance to get the best tables by the windows.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- staffCallieDined on 8/16/2014The staff at Anton Michel's is very friendly and professional!Special Features:
- WHAT HAPPENED!!!!!!!!CharlyVIPDined on 8/15/2014I setup a VERY SPECIAL night and thought this would be the perfect place to take someone special!!! All the reviews sounded great and I went by that alone and it was a BUST! The server never poured my champagne and laughed when she came by at the end of dinner and said "well, I see that's all done" - the food was terrible! I think the chef has left or was not there that night because everything was so basic!! My better-half said "I think Olive Garden would have been better" - well, at $200, I was not thrilled with that comment!!! I don't know what is going on here although I will not be back!! This was not a good thing being that several out of town people were in town for the Concours d'Elegance like myself and this is a very tight group.
- Great RemodelDrBobDined on 8/14/2014The restaurant remodel is beautiful. The service and food are exceptional. A table with a view of the water and fountain only adds to to ambiance. On a nice day outside dinning is available.Special Features:
- MehOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/9/2014Went here with another couple during a quick weekend in Carmel. I probably wouldn't go back. It was fine, but not great. The waiter was definitely "winded" and sweating badly when he came to our table. He was friendly, but made some obvious errors in describing menu items. We all ordered a special halibut that wasn't on the menu. It tasted good, with the right seasonings but was pretty dry. Our dinner dates wanted to send it back but I talked them out of it just because I didn't think it was worth making a big deal about it. We ordered a $30 abalone appetizer, which was fine but wow the price wasn't really worth it. Desserts were just OK. The decor is a bit faux fancy and the lighting was pretty bright for a nice restaurant.
- Nice for special occasions.Gracehappens94Dined on 8/7/2014We went here for my birthday and were pleasantly surprised! The rooms were cozy and updated. We appreciated the privacy of our two top toward the back, never once did we feel isolated though. Our server was polite and prompt. The manager was friendly without being obtrusive. My only complaint was my filet was undercooked (despite double checking that medium rare meant pink throughout). It was easily remedied and the staff did not seem offended when I had it sent back. The wine list was very impressive. We only eat out at "fancy places" a few times a year and will definitely return. If only we could find a high end restaurant that didn't include children...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Carmel GemJadeVIPDined on 8/7/2014Anton and Michel provides an elegant yet comfortable setting to enjoy good food and company. We spent over three hours, by choice, catching up with an old friend. The staff of the restaurant supported that on a Thursday night with no hint that it was time for us to leave. Thank you! Service got off to a bit of a slow and aloof start, however, once we connected with the server service was warm, timely, and more interactive. We will be back to try out the Sunset Dinner menu (three courses, until 6:30 for $28)!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/6/2014Anton & Michel's was recommended to us by a friend who had eaten there years ago. We had never heard of it before. We were very impressed with the service, the food and the ambiance. The wine list is fairly extensive, and the prices sre very reasonable. Overall, we were extremely happy with the restaurant, and will not only be back, but will tell our friends about it as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/3/2014Had lunch at Anton & Michel for my mom's birthday and it was a lovely experience. Our server and host was super friendly and the food was delicious. They recently remodeled and the place looked great! We will be back the next time we are in Carmel :)Special Features:
- Great fixed price sunset dinnerRickzVIPDined on 8/1/2014With the nice selections on the menu including soup or salad, entrees that include shellfish, fish, pork, lamb, chicken and steak, and two desserts, there is something that should match everyone's tastes. Most of these items are the same as on the regular menu. And they are made to the same level of perfection as the items on the regular menu. For those of you who eat early (offered only until 6:30 PM), you should take advantage of this nightly offering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDeniseVIPDined on 7/31/2014Reserved this charming Carmel neighborhood, excited for a wonderful meal on our last night in California. We arrived on time but the man at the front told us to wait in the bar. He seemed bored and uninterested in us, never told us why we were to wait and for how long. Waited 25 minutes then he said he'd seat us. Not a great start. During dinner, we watched other guests being served Bananas Foster - and ordered ours at the suggestion of our server. It looked fabulous! Unfortunately, the uninterested man told us there was no more vanilla ice cream, and offered raspberry sorbet. My teenage son was crushed! Who runs out of vanilla ice cream and offered no sorry. We left with no dessert and felt let down.Special Features: