Anton & Michel Restaurant
Mission St & 7th Ave
Carmel-by-the-Sea, CA 93921-4917Neighborhood:
EuropeanPrice: $31 to $50
Anton & Michel Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.carmelsbest.com/antonmichel
- Phone: 8316242406x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Continental, Californian
- Executive Chef: Mark Simpson
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Anton & Michel can accommodate parties of 10 to 100. The semi private Fireplace Rooms seats up to 26 guests and the Fountain Room seats up to 50 guests. The whole restaurant can seat 100 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Bert Simpson 8316242406x
A word from Anton & Michel Restaurant
Since 1980, Anton & Michel has consistently maintained an award-winning reputation for true excellence in the art of fine dining. A complete interior remodel in 2013 features handset stonework throughout and an expanded lounge. The floor to ceiling windows offer breathtaking views of the Court of the Fountains. Zagat Survey calls it “Carmel’s long-standing paean to graciousness in dining out". Along with updated and contemporary changes to the menus, ultimate table side service and spectacular flambé desserts remain. As quoted in the Wine Spectator, Anton & Michel is “probably the best dining experience in downtown Carmel-by-the-Sea”.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Anton & Michel Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Carmel ›
Anton & Michel Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
94 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (52)romantic (51)notable wine list (41)fit for foodies (36)neighborhood gem (35)great for lunch (20)scenic view (9)great for outdoor dining (9)good for groups (8)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (5)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/16/2014Sadly, the food was quite a disappointment. We asked to split an entree, the filet mignon, and the kitchen split the steak before grilling it, so that it came out medium well, not medium rare. After some consternation on the part of the wait staff, the steak was replaced. But it was still not as tender nor flavorful as one might have expected. Like the bar menu but not the dining room. Our 25th wedding anniversary. Could have done much better on our choice of restaurant.Special Features:
- SamthewineguyVIPDined on 9/12/2014We all agreed. This was the worst dining experience in the last ten years or more. The remodel was beautiful and more contemporary but the food is an unmitigated, mediocre disaster. There wasn't a single redeeming dish. The table side Caesar salad, a restaurant signature, was very poor at best. The wedge salad had a dressing with so much vinegar in it that that was all you could taste. The main courses were devoid of any flavor or seasoning. It was as if they were prepared for people on a no salt diet who did not care for pepper either. The three filets were not even filets--more likely the lowest grade of choice sirloins. The advertised red wine sauce was missing, the accompanying potatoes and vegetables were tasteless and unattractive.
- past its prime?OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/10/2014rack of lamb was tasty but the rest of the meal fell flat. vegetables over cooked, asked for very light on the salad dressing but got served drenched in oil. cherries jubilee less than jubilant. we have been going there for several years when we visit Carmel. not in a hurry to go back, too many other good choices available.Special Features:
- Wonderful Sunset DinnerRickzVIPDined on 9/10/2014The sunset dinner is priced very well, especially considering Anton & Michel is in Carmel by the Sea which tends to be a little pricey. The quality is consistent with what you get later in the evening and the selections cover many of the regular menu items. The service is outstanding from the moment you enter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice......BogeyDined on 9/9/2014Enjoyed our meal after it was cooked table side for us.......knowledgable staff, and friendly too. Manager was terrific and engaging. Would recommend to othersSpecial Features:
- Elegant, comfortable, but relaxedcodycoleDined on 9/4/2014Busy at the "Sunset" hour, when the older people in town dine, this lovely restaurant is very quiet and romantic later on. The food is very good. Two of us dined and the starters were a Hawaiian tuna tartar and a roast tomato & salmon risotto, followed by a barramundi filet of fish over a marvelous crispy kale, with vegetables and rice (the owner's favorite); and a filet mignon, cooked to perfection but which my dinner companion found had a strange flavor. We each had half bottles of wine from a very good selection (Rutherford cabernet & Grgich Hills fume blanc). No dessert. Service was charming and amusing. The restaurant was almost empty on this Thursday night at 8:30pm. Most locals dine earlier.Special Features:
- Special OccasionCharlieTSJDined on 9/3/2014Wonderful restaurant, food, service, and ambiance. Treated to an exceptional evening of fine food and relaxation. The service was attentive without being overbearing. I would strongly recommend this excellent restaurant for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot and coldFarfromhomeDined on 8/30/2014Service was hot and cold. When they got guys later it was clear they were understaffed. The duck was fantastic. By desert we were forgotten about and our cherries jubilee was left wanting.Special Features:
- Very Good SpotJDranVIPDined on 8/30/2014We had a wonderful dinner. Food and wine was very good and moderatly priced. Service was less than stellar but the food made the evening.Special Features:
- Expected moreEarlamosDined on 8/26/2014Admittedly we are used to the SF food scene however we expected food at the level we are used to at this restaurant. Sadly it was disappointing. The fish was over cooked and cold at serving. This place presents as a top line restaurant and has the look but needs to do better at this price point.Special Features:
- Super little placeKateyeDined on 8/23/2014Great place that acted as though they were happy to see you! Service was very good, followed by outstanding food - especially loved the dessert. Worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious nightLuv2dineDined on 8/23/2014My girlfriend and I went here for our first date and it was fantastic. I ordered the prawns and scallop pasta and she got the pesto salmon. Both were very good. Service was very good, our drinks were always filled and our server and the busser were very prompt. It's was a bit pricy, I ended up spending about 100 dollars, but I'm a college student so anything over 40 bucks for two people us expensive for me haha. Overall a great nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic and consistentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/22/2014Have been going here for years and have always found the menu well balanced and have never been disappointed with the entre I picked for the evening. Service has always been good and the decor is very nicely done. Very good wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old World Charm in CarmelJuror17Dined on 8/19/2014This 30 year old restaurant, handsomely redecorated, is right in the heart of town, overlooking a courtyard and reflecting pool. The wait staff are seasoned veterans - gracious, professional and genuinely interested in diners having a good experience. This is a restaurant that still offers traditional favorites such as Bananas Foster and Cherries Jubilee flamed at table side, a blast from the past. Food is delicious if a bit pricey: my Wagu short ribs were mouthwateringly tender, and each plate was a brilliant assemblage of colors and texture, a delight to the eyes as well as the palate.Special Features:
- Very nice Carmel spottropicalefanVIPDined on 8/17/2014This review would have been so much better had we not been seated next to some blow hard pontificating about any and all topics from the riots in the south to Obama being a bad president to the end of the world coming soon. He was so loud it ruined the experience for us. He was a local and nobody said anything but really can't you ask these people to talk lower? The whole dining room could hear this blow hard!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Restaurant in CarmeltouristdinersDined on 8/16/2014food was bvery good. the wine list was excellent and not to pricy.The wait staff were courteous and gave us plenty of time between courses. When we go back to Carmel back to Carmel we will definitely make reservations here. Book in advance to get the best tables by the windows.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- staffCallieDined on 8/16/2014The staff at Anton Michel's is very friendly and professional!Special Features:
- WHAT HAPPENED!!!!!!!!CharlyVIPDined on 8/15/2014I setup a VERY SPECIAL night and thought this would be the perfect place to take someone special!!! All the reviews sounded great and I went by that alone and it was a BUST! The server never poured my champagne and laughed when she came by at the end of dinner and said "well, I see that's all done" - the food was terrible! I think the chef has left or was not there that night because everything was so basic!! My better-half said "I think Olive Garden would have been better" - well, at $200, I was not thrilled with that comment!!! I don't know what is going on here although I will not be back!! This was not a good thing being that several out of town people were in town for the Concours d'Elegance like myself and this is a very tight group.
- Great RemodelDrBobDined on 8/14/2014The restaurant remodel is beautiful. The service and food are exceptional. A table with a view of the water and fountain only adds to to ambiance. On a nice day outside dinning is available.Special Features:
- MehOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/9/2014Went here with another couple during a quick weekend in Carmel. I probably wouldn't go back. It was fine, but not great. The waiter was definitely "winded" and sweating badly when he came to our table. He was friendly, but made some obvious errors in describing menu items. We all ordered a special halibut that wasn't on the menu. It tasted good, with the right seasonings but was pretty dry. Our dinner dates wanted to send it back but I talked them out of it just because I didn't think it was worth making a big deal about it. We ordered a $30 abalone appetizer, which was fine but wow the price wasn't really worth it. Desserts were just OK. The decor is a bit faux fancy and the lighting was pretty bright for a nice restaurant.
- Nice for special occasions.Gracehappens94Dined on 8/7/2014We went here for my birthday and were pleasantly surprised! The rooms were cozy and updated. We appreciated the privacy of our two top toward the back, never once did we feel isolated though. Our server was polite and prompt. The manager was friendly without being obtrusive. My only complaint was my filet was undercooked (despite double checking that medium rare meant pink throughout). It was easily remedied and the staff did not seem offended when I had it sent back. The wine list was very impressive. We only eat out at "fancy places" a few times a year and will definitely return. If only we could find a high end restaurant that didn't include children...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Carmel GemJadeVIPDined on 8/7/2014Anton and Michel provides an elegant yet comfortable setting to enjoy good food and company. We spent over three hours, by choice, catching up with an old friend. The staff of the restaurant supported that on a Thursday night with no hint that it was time for us to leave. Thank you! Service got off to a bit of a slow and aloof start, however, once we connected with the server service was warm, timely, and more interactive. We will be back to try out the Sunset Dinner menu (three courses, until 6:30 for $28)!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/6/2014Anton & Michel's was recommended to us by a friend who had eaten there years ago. We had never heard of it before. We were very impressed with the service, the food and the ambiance. The wine list is fairly extensive, and the prices sre very reasonable. Overall, we were extremely happy with the restaurant, and will not only be back, but will tell our friends about it as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/3/2014Had lunch at Anton & Michel for my mom's birthday and it was a lovely experience. Our server and host was super friendly and the food was delicious. They recently remodeled and the place looked great! We will be back the next time we are in Carmel :)Special Features:
- Great fixed price sunset dinnerRickzVIPDined on 8/1/2014With the nice selections on the menu including soup or salad, entrees that include shellfish, fish, pork, lamb, chicken and steak, and two desserts, there is something that should match everyone's tastes. Most of these items are the same as on the regular menu. And they are made to the same level of perfection as the items on the regular menu. For those of you who eat early (offered only until 6:30 PM), you should take advantage of this nightly offering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDeniseVIPDined on 7/31/2014Reserved this charming Carmel neighborhood, excited for a wonderful meal on our last night in California. We arrived on time but the man at the front told us to wait in the bar. He seemed bored and uninterested in us, never told us why we were to wait and for how long. Waited 25 minutes then he said he'd seat us. Not a great start. During dinner, we watched other guests being served Bananas Foster - and ordered ours at the suggestion of our server. It looked fabulous! Unfortunately, the uninterested man told us there was no more vanilla ice cream, and offered raspberry sorbet. My teenage son was crushed! Who runs out of vanilla ice cream and offered no sorry. We left with no dessert and felt let down.Special Features:
- Everything was LOVELY!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/31/2014The ambiance was lovely; great new feel (renovated "recently"). Tiffany, our server, was delightful; very attentive but not obstrusive. We had the rack of lamb for two; the Caesar salad was made table-side as was the final prep & carving of the lamb. And to finish it off the Crepes Suzette were also prepared table-side making the whole experience a special treatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic foodMikeDined on 7/22/2014We had the pleasure of having lunch in this really nice restaurant 3 weeks ago. The food was not only good, the whole atmosphere around the restaurant was very nice, and we really enjoyed it. On our 30 day vacation throughout the US this was by far one of the best meals we had. We would definitely visit this restaurant again, and I would say that it is a must if you visit Carmel bts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JackDined on 7/17/2014The rack of lamb was very good, but portion of swordfish was small. While it was late midweek, we were the only ones in the restaurant. The week before it was pretty busy and many seem to prefer the bar menu.I would recommend this to a friend.
- SurprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/17/2014I was surprised that the food and cocktails were only fair after the other great reviews. Definitely overpriced for the experience. The updated lounge area was very nice however the decor in the restaurant area was not as nice and the carpeting was old, dirty and in need of updating. Would chose another restaurant in the future.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceReenieDined on 7/15/2014We have visited this restaurant on each trip o Carmel. The waiter was great and the food delicious! Would recommend as one of the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slayne4VIPDined on 7/13/2014Great spot for any occasion. I would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice but a little datedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/13/2014Good food but menu is a little dated compared to the inventive cuisines you see now on the west coast.Special Features:
- Great for lunch with dogOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/13/2014Great patio for lunch with our dog. Staff very accomodating. Pasta with seafood disappointing this time. Very sweet. Different than when same dish ordered last fall. Sand dabs cooked perfectly as was flat iron steak so 2 out of 3 entrees very good.Special Features:
- Great Food in CarmelOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/12/2014Food was excellent. Rack of lamb and braised short ribs were perfect. Service was outstanding. Great dining in Carmel.Special Features:
- Another wonderful dinnerRickzVIPDined on 7/12/2014This time we had the pork tenderloin and the barramundi. Both were prepared and plated beautifully. For desert we each had creme brulee which was too good. The service was excellent from our arrival through our departure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice room but food needed some workOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/11/2014A very quiet and elegant place but the food was needed a little more attention to detail - e.g the lemons withe fish looked a little old and thee same with vegetables! Service was good and the tables were spaced apart and not too crowded.Special Features:
- Good food and serviceNsquaredDined on 7/6/2014We celebrated our 41st Anniversary here. The service was impeccable but low key. The food was delicious, well prepared and presented. The wine list was ample and reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unpleasant dinner!!!PamkfVIPDined on 7/5/2014Our dining experience at this restaurant was extremely disappointing and we will not be going back. First, although the restaurant was empty, we were seated in a sun room that was blistering hot, with no air stirring and the sun beating in. When we looked clearly uncomfortable, the guy that brought us to our seats said not to worry as the sun would be going down soon. The air remained heavy and moist and unpleasant throughout our meal. My French Onion soup was the only decent part of the dinner. The Martini was terrible, as was the Beef Shortrib (unbelievably fatty), the Tuna Tartar wasn't fresh and was tasteless. My spouse's steak was salty, although it was a good cut of beef. We didn't order dessert and couldn't wait to leave.
- Delightful evening !LuvgoodfoodVIPDined on 7/3/2014My group thoroughly enjoyed their dinner here . My son-in-law had the short ribs which he loved ! He is picky so they must have been especially good . Everyone else had the fish special which was a Hawaiian fish called MaChong ( probably spelled incorrectly) and it was fabulous ! We plan to dine at Anton and Michel again very soon. !Special Features: