93 Salem Street
Boston, MA 02113Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.anticofornoboston.com/
- Phone: 6177236733
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 3:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 3:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 3:30pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 3:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Salvatore Gaglio
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: They cater both small and large parties.
- Special Events: Restaurant Week Summer 2006
August 13-25, 2006
Menu On Line: http://www.anticofornoboston.com/restweek.htm
A word from Antico Forno
Stop by Antico Forno for a great meal in an atmosphere that is casual and relaxed with delicious food, of course, but also prices that are reasonable.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Antico Forno reviews from OpenTable diners
191 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (106)fit for foodies (64)good for groups (49)kid-friendly (46)romantic (31)special occasion (31)hot spot (27)great for lunch (26)notable wine list (15)late-night find (13)vibrant bar scene (13)scenic view (4)great for outdoor dining (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Good spotdinnerpartyDined on 9/25/2014Went here with friends for an early dinner. Probably not the right choice if you're looking for something quiet because the tables are pretty close together and it gets busy, but the food was great and our server was really nice.Special Features:
- InkareDined on 9/25/2014I like this restaurant and it was 4th times in 2014 that I was eating there, but I can say that one lady who is working there, has THE WORST attitude I have ever seen... except that, food is great !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GnocchiOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/21/2014I enjoyed my gnocchi, but definitely not the best in the neighborhood. I absolutely love your tomato sauce, but for some reason the gnocchi is served with a cream sauce, like a vodka style sauce. It made the dish a little lacking, but still enjoyable. I took the leftovers home for the next day. Overall, I wouldn't hesitate to come back. :)Special Features:
- Excellent ChoiceexcellentVIPDined on 9/20/2014We were recommended to this restaurant on a last minute basis. I made the reservation through open table. There was a line half a block long. They took us right away. Every one's meal was excellent. The shrimp/salad appetizers and antipasto were enough for a meal in itself. The food is tradition italian food with an excellent quality. Will return when visiting boston again.Special Features:
- Saturday dinnerShellyDined on 9/20/2014Food was amazing - ample portions and everything was delicious. We had a reservation and we were seated immediately - the waitress and busboys kept our waters/drinks full - overall a great evening out!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Reservation times were off significantly but the staff and food were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't bother with Open Table.......pretentiousVIPDined on 9/19/2014The restaurant ignores your reserved time, instead they tell you you're on priority seating when a table comes available. Yeah the place was packed, but we waited for 45 minutes before we were seated. However, the whole reason for Open Table is so you can dine at a specific time so that you may go enjoy the rest of your evening, not getting bumped and jostled as the place was very full .It'd be nice if the restaurant placed customer care ahead of the almighty dollar bill, but it appears that they only want to fill the tables as quickly as possible and screw the people who took the time to forward plan by making a reservationSpecial Features:
- ChrisDined on 9/18/2014The best pizza I every had. I have traveled the world and this is #1! Very good Italian food as well. In the heart of little Italy. A must when coming to Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What does "reservation" mean?BostonDinerDined on 9/18/2014When we arrived for our reservation, the hostess handed me a pager and said it would buzz when our table was ready. I asked how long and she gazed around the room before guessing it would be about ten minutes. We got a drink at the bar and I walked back up 25 minutes later to ask what was going on. I was ready to complain that I didn't think she understood the concept of reservations, but she pointed to a table in the process of being set up and said that was in fact our table. We sat and waited easily ten minutes without anyone coming by. We got the attention of a woman (possibly the owner) and she sent our waiter over right away. He was very friendly, but clearly had way too many tables. The food was good, but I would not come back.Special Features:
- Can't hear yourself thinkAnnKDined on 9/15/2014While the food was good the noise level is impossible. My dinning companion and I felt like we were screaming at each other. Impossible to have a conversation. Service was slow and food was good, not excellent, and maybe a step above Olive Garden.
- Too noisysyljefDined on 9/13/2014We had to wait for our table 30 minutes because of overbooking. The noise level is unbearable for a normal human being...you have to scream if you want to talk to the person next to you. Yes, the food was good but considering everything the experience was not happening. I would rather eat at home. Three (3) different waiters to ask if they could remove the meals as it was obvious that we were not done. The service was expeditious as if they wanted to get rid of you for the next party. The waiter asked us if we wanted to take home what remained in our plates and I replied:No. He got upset and removed the plates so nervously that he spilled some risotto on the skirt of my daughter. I don't have to mention we were extremely happy to leave!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Food was exceptional Speed with which it was prepared and delivered was surprisingly fast (felt rushed) The noise level was intolerable and we would not return because of it. The four adults in our party resorted to shouting to communicate so the expectation of a liesurely dinner (see above) and friendly conversation was not delivered.
- A Must in the North EndRoland33Dined on 9/12/2014I enjoyed the great portion of food at a reasonable price. Along with the good service and cool experience. I will be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awsome!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/10/2014We had such a great experience there. From the hostess to the server to the busboys. Coming from Chicago we are not easily impressed with because we are use the best food and service. Antico Forno was an excellent find. I would suggest to anyone looking for great authentic Italian food and great service.Special Features:
- Great!FabdinerDined on 8/31/2014We have eaten here several times while in Boston, and as usual it was fantastic.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/31/2014We chose our meals off of the dine out Boston menu and felt that the restaurant really went the cheap route with the amount of food. My fiancé chose the raviolis and only got 2. I felt even though we were eating off of the dine out boston menu it still should have been a little bit of a bigger meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Italian FoodSuperDinerDined on 8/30/2014We have had several meals at Antico Forno. All dishes were very satisfying and prepared traditionally in old-world brick oven. Small, busy restaurant, reservations suggested. A place to be seen and enjoy a delicious meal. Mention a special occasion and you too might receive a complimentary dessert tray for your table. The Tirimasu and cannoli are the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our new go-to spot in the North EndbcmomDined on 8/30/2014The food here is very good. The pizza is excellent. The restaurant has a great Italian feel to it.Special Features:
- Amazing experienceRayrayDined on 8/29/2014Hands down one of the best resturaunts I have ever eaten at. Great good, excellent service and cool environment!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining in the North EndCaitlinCDined on 8/29/2014I have never been disappointed by Antico Forno! I recommend making reservations as it usually has a line. It's Salem Street location is key, as it tends to miss the huge crowds of Hanover Street. The food is excellent and reasonably priced but the wine bottles are a bit pricey ($35+).Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/28/2014This was my first visit to Antico Forno as part of Restaurant week. The food was fantastic and my friends & I thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not ImpressedMangiafagioliDined on 8/27/2014First off, the restaurant is WAY TOO NOISY (shouting required here). It's impossible to hear your waiter or even yourself screaming across the table to be heard. For this reason alone I am loathe to return. There were three of us and we all thought there was something odd (not fresh?) about the sauce. I for one thought it was too sweet. My pasta tasted homemade, but couldn't command the dish under all that sauce. The gelato I had for dessert was loaded with ice chunks. The dishes seemed too complicated to be considered authentically Italian. Perhaps their brick oven pizzas are what they do best. Why Antico Forno is so busy is beyond me -- maybe it's the overly generous portions (or tourists?) that keep them coming.
- PrincessDined on 8/26/2014Other than the service, which was quite good, I was disappointed in my meal. The appetizer and main course were uninspired, to say the least--two dishes in the same red sauce. The bread pudding dessert was more like a cake. All this would have been tolerable if the noise level had been normal, but it was like standing in the T station when a train goes by. Conversation was impossible! I can see why they would want to preserve the rustic atmosphere, but a few bucks spent on acoustical tiles would have improved the evening tremendously. I selected "good for groups" because you forced me to pick something in question 2, but I wouldn't recommend this place at all. Also I resent having to wait in line for 10 minutes for the bathroom!Special Features:
- Good pizzaMrFoodieDined on 8/26/2014We had a good lunch here, food was above average, service was friendlyI would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent, not greatRoadkingVIPDined on 8/25/2014There are so many other choices in the North End. I was not blown away. Good, not great...
- Extremely unpleasant experiencequietDined on 8/24/2014Our experience at this recommended North End restaurant was miserable. Despite an Open Table reservation we were seated very late, and treated as if we were invisible. There were no kind social interactions by the staff, just moving customers coldly. Very impersonal service. The food was average at best, nothing special, certainly not worth the wait. The worst part of the experience was the noise. It was so loud we could not carry on a conversation, and the noise level made the entire experience so unpleasant I would never, ever return. In fact we had our food packed up half-way through the meal and left, just to get out of the extremely unpleasant space. If Open Table would allow me to give this 0 stars, I would.Special Features:
- Reservation meant nothingbeachnole62Dined on 8/23/2014Almost an hour wait for a 7:00 reservation, and was seated only after I complained. Looking back, I see other reviews with similar experiences on Yelp. If they can't honor their reservations, they should not take reservations. The food and service was good once we were seated, but with so many choices in the Nort End, I will go elsewhere until they fix this issue as it was very frustrating.
- JarmoDined on 8/23/2014Very good food but very noisy for dinner. Would return but not at prime dining time in evening. Lobster ravs got good reviews as did the other entres we had for dinner. Calamari app was terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite North End Spotmandii65VIPDined on 8/22/2014My boyfriend and I have tried many Italian restaurants in Boston's North End and Antico Forno continues to be our favorite. The wait staff here is so friendly and accommodating. Also, when you make a reservation, they actually stick to it! Not like some other places I've been where you still end up waiting a long time for a table. The food is fantastic - I've tried most dishes and they're all great. The pizza is highly underrated - it's amazing! Overall, we will continue to visit Antico Forno many more times :)Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Service was quick, and the food was great! We had a three course meal and everything was delivered hot and ready to eat.Special Features:
- Thought it was better 2 years agoandocpaDined on 8/22/2014Was in Boston 2 years ago for a long weekend with the family. Concierge at the hotel recommended this place and we had a great meal. Actually recommended it to my brother in law when we was in Boston. We were back in Boston for another long weekend and went back. Had to wait 20 minutes past reservation time. The place is loud and busy, but I knew that from the last time, so not an issue. Our meals were OK, nothing bad, but nothing special. The antipasto was very good and plentiful. Pizza that was mostly dough. I had zuppa di pesce which was cooked in foil in a pot. It was very watery. Other food was just OK. Would think twice about going back as there are several other places to choose from.
- Birthday dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014My family of 5 (including a 2 1/2 year old) were there to celebrate my son's 26th birthday. Carla was our server and she was wonderful. There when you needed her but not a nuisance. It was during restaurant week and we enjoyed the dine.out specials. Food and wine were superb! We were not rushed but enjoyed a relaxed dinnner. My grandson loved the RIGATONI SALSICCIA - ate every last bite! Two of us had the Frutti di Mare - excellent! Nice ambiance and energetic atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Five Star Food...Seaborn7VIPDined on 8/22/2014at just another North End Italian place that doesn't distinguish itself othewise: a little above average ambience; a lot of famillies; inconsistent, if competent service - but great food. After 4 trips here, I won't go to Boston without visiting for their lasagne, the best I've ever had, including Italy. I've also queried diners next to me - they all describe their experience as "excellent" or "one of the best Italian restaurants they've been to." I hope Antico Forno stays around for my future trips to Boston.Special Features:
- Great food and great times!WestEndFoodieDined on 8/21/2014I visited Antico Forno for the second time with friends from out of town. Both times the food was amazing, the service was great, and the ambience was charmingly Bostonian! Don't hate on the wait, though. It can be lengthly, but it is well worth it!Special Features:
- dineoutDined on 8/21/2014We had a most enjoyable evening. We were looking for a great meal in a North End setting and that is what we got. The restaurant has an intimate feel, the service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid Italian diningNancyBDined on 8/19/2014Large menu with wide variety of choices. Nicely noisy, and the option to sit near open windows on a nice evening to watch the busy North End streets. The service is prompt with pleasant staff, and the ample meals were delivered well-prepared and hot. Our group enjoyed mussels, caprese salad, chicken parm, bolognese, and past putanesca - along side good bread to sop us the juices and the sauces. A good choice in the North End.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- italian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/18/2014antico surpassed my expectations. The food was excellent and the service very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian home cookingYvieDined on 8/18/2014This restaurant in the heart of the north end was charming and we enjoyed most of our choices. The arancini was very good and a large size for an appetizer. My seafood stew app was very good, if a bit salty, (as are most all restaurants' offerings lately!) The risotto was only fair, could have been cooked more. Dessert was fine, all in all, a thumbs up.Special Features:
- BeanLadyDined on 8/17/2014We were excited to eat here from the great reviews it received. But, our expectations were not met, and the food was mediocre and service was very slow and unattentive. The restaurant looks great, and it was certainly very busy, but we will likely not be back. Too many other good restaurants to try in the area.Special Features:
- Excellent FoodAlfdinetimeDined on 8/17/2014The food and service were outstanding . This restaurant is one that you will remember and have to visit every time you visit the North End.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.