93 Salem Street
Boston, MA 02113Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.anticofornoboston.com/
- Phone: 6177236733
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 3:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 3:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 3:30pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 3:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Salvatore Gaglio
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: They cater both small and large parties.
- Special Events: Restaurant Week Summer 2006
August 13-25, 2006
Menu On Line: http://www.anticofornoboston.com/restweek.htm
A word from Antico Forno
Stop by Antico Forno for a great meal in an atmosphere that is casual and relaxed with delicious food, of course, but also prices that are reasonable.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Antico Forno reviews from OpenTable diners
205 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (112)fit for foodies (71)good for groups (54)kid-friendly (49)hot spot (37)special occasion (35)romantic (30)great for lunch (25)notable wine list (16)vibrant bar scene (15)late-night find (12)scenic view (4)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Packed but great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/25/2014If it's busy, expect to brush shoulders with waiters and patrons while dining. Food and service made up for the lack of space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the waitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014We had a 6 p.m. reservation through Open Table, which the restaurant confirmed in advance. We got there about 10 minutes early but weren't seated until after 7 p.m., and then by the door in a heavy traffic area. The manager apologized genuinely, blaming new staff at the door, and comped us an app, which we appreciated. The food was fine but with so many other places to explore in Boston's amazing North End it wasn't anywhere near good enough to earn a second chance for us.
- Neighborhood GemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/20/2014Definitely a place to have a casual meal, not so sure about having a date since some of the tables are kind of wobbly and the space is kind of cramped, but definitely good food. I guess not a perfect first date location but definitely recommended if you have been dating for a while.Special Features:
- Wait... then rushHopefulDinerDined on 10/19/2014We had a reservation, but then had to stand around for 10 minutes waiting for our table, feeling in the way of harried servers, and feeling badly for crowding into other diners' space. When we were at last seated, we asked about the sizes of the pizza, thinking the two of us could split one. I said if we still felt like some additional food, we could then order something else, right? Apparently, wrong. Although it was difficult to hear, amidst the din, exactly what the waitress said, her expression showed her contempt for this plan, and she basically said, "Hey, you only get one chance to order, then that's it." We did enjoy the pizza, which came promptly, but we left quickly. Just too loud and pushy in there.Special Features:
- Awesome!ChimDined on 10/19/2014First time here - great food! Will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Lunch in the north end!MKL15Dined on 10/19/2014The service was great....very friendly and attentive. My app's were very good but my main course was just ok. I had heard a great deal of good things about the ambiance and food and came away a bit dissappointed in both. I didn't find a wide variety in the choices and many seemed to have heavy sauces and heavy amounts of cheese on them. With so many other options in the north end I don't think I would return....but it was not an overall bad experience...just not what I had expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently great foodTexasmom43VIPDined on 10/18/2014We try to eat here when visiting Boston because of their fresh Italian food! YUM! There are subtle changes to their menu but always consistently great. My only complaint would be that we had 7:30 reservations but didn't get seated until almost an hour later as there were many people in line to get in who did not have reservations. But it was worth the wait, and the hostesses were so nice that we couldn't get angry at them!Special Features:
- Fantastic ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/18/2014Our children devoured the delicious pizza, raving about the fresh, thin crust and yummy cheese. We arrived at 4:30 and by 6 the restaurant was lively and packed. Our waitress was very personable and took care of the little kids, making them feel special!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/17/2014Very good food! Like most of the restaurants in the North End it is tiny inside and the tables and in as tightly as possible. But we didn't care - we wanted to experience the North End and have great Italian and we got it! We had two children with us which is why we chose this place - reputation and kid friendly. It was loud so we didn't bother anyone. Wooden tables and wooden chairs - very casual - we wore jeans and were fine. Great choice and easy walk for our first trip to Boston! Modern Bakery and Mike's are on the other side of the block so its easy to go there afterwards.Special Features:
- Good but chaoticLianneDined on 10/12/2014The food was good but the noise level was intolerable! I had made a reservation through OpenTable then got a note that we had not shown up. The service was pretty good. Woyuld recommend for groups and families.Special Features:
- Great FoodTerraNovaDined on 10/10/2014Excellent food. We had the pizza on this visit and I enjoyed it even more than our meal at a nearby "famous" pizza place. However, we were seated near the kitchen and the noise level was quite high. That was our only complaint. Otherwise, the food and service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, Loud, Not For ConversationBoy1DoorDined on 10/9/2014The food & service were good - not great - but they do the Italian "staples" well. Small space with lots of tables & TVs by the bar area. The noise levels is VERY LOUD so you can not have a conversation without the need to shout at your dinner companion(s).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- one of my favoritesM2chowDined on 10/5/2014The rustic decor and welcoming feel make for an enjoyable experience. Every dish that we have had has been excellent. A favorite place to take visitors from out of town.Special Features:
- Best Italian in BostonrockliffDined on 10/5/2014Absolutely the best italian restaraunt in the Northend and all of Boston! All dishes are authentic italian and portions to match. Simply the best.Special Features:
- YummyCaptain49erVIPDined on 10/4/2014Excellent food. Great service. Good prices. Always seems to be busy regardless of time of day or weather.Special Features:
- Antico FornoFoodReviewDined on 10/3/2014The restaurant was absolutely adorable, and the food was out of this world! Brick oven pizza was one of the best I've ever had...if not THE best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JackieRDined on 9/27/2014We visited Antico Forno on a very busy Saturday night in late September. The place was hoping. Service was quick but felt a just bit rushed due to a very large party that was taking place on the other side of the restaurant. Large crowds waiting to get into the restaurant so it is definitely a hot spot of Boston. Food was good. Pizza's looked great. Will come back again just to try the pizzas. Ambiance was great in the heart of Boston's North End. Reservations are a must on the weekend.Special Features:
- Delicious Food, great service!vinolover62VIPDined on 9/27/2014We had a wonderful lunch. Window seat allowed a perfect view of the neighborhood. Our waitress was excellent. She paced our three courses, even asking us when we were ready for our pizza. We had a spinach salad (large enough to share), the aranaci and a wood fired pizza with homemade sausage. It was too much food, but we wanted to taste several dishes and we split everything between the two of us. Our kind waitress even gave us a free piece of tiramisu, and it was the best we had ever tasted!! Make sure to eat at Antico Forno if you are in the North End of Boston!Special Features:
- Fabulous foodPamBJDined on 9/26/2014The pasta was the best pasta ever! Everyone at our table had exceptional dishes. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good spotdinnerpartyDined on 9/25/2014Went here with friends for an early dinner. Probably not the right choice if you're looking for something quiet because the tables are pretty close together and it gets busy, but the food was great and our server was really nice.Special Features:
- InkareDined on 9/25/2014I like this restaurant and it was 4th times in 2014 that I was eating there, but I can say that one lady who is working there, has THE WORST attitude I have ever seen... except that, food is great !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GnocchiOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/21/2014I enjoyed my gnocchi, but definitely not the best in the neighborhood. I absolutely love your tomato sauce, but for some reason the gnocchi is served with a cream sauce, like a vodka style sauce. It made the dish a little lacking, but still enjoyable. I took the leftovers home for the next day. Overall, I wouldn't hesitate to come back. :)Special Features:
- Excellent ChoiceexcellentVIPDined on 9/20/2014We were recommended to this restaurant on a last minute basis. I made the reservation through open table. There was a line half a block long. They took us right away. Every one's meal was excellent. The shrimp/salad appetizers and antipasto were enough for a meal in itself. The food is tradition italian food with an excellent quality. Will return when visiting boston again.Special Features:
- Saturday dinnerShellyDined on 9/20/2014Food was amazing - ample portions and everything was delicious. We had a reservation and we were seated immediately - the waitress and busboys kept our waters/drinks full - overall a great evening out!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Reservation times were off significantly but the staff and food were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't bother with Open Table.......pretentiousVIPDined on 9/19/2014The restaurant ignores your reserved time, instead they tell you you're on priority seating when a table comes available. Yeah the place was packed, but we waited for 45 minutes before we were seated. However, the whole reason for Open Table is so you can dine at a specific time so that you may go enjoy the rest of your evening, not getting bumped and jostled as the place was very full .It'd be nice if the restaurant placed customer care ahead of the almighty dollar bill, but it appears that they only want to fill the tables as quickly as possible and screw the people who took the time to forward plan by making a reservationSpecial Features:
- ChrisDined on 9/18/2014The best pizza I every had. I have traveled the world and this is #1! Very good Italian food as well. In the heart of little Italy. A must when coming to Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What does "reservation" mean?BostonDinerDined on 9/18/2014When we arrived for our reservation, the hostess handed me a pager and said it would buzz when our table was ready. I asked how long and she gazed around the room before guessing it would be about ten minutes. We got a drink at the bar and I walked back up 25 minutes later to ask what was going on. I was ready to complain that I didn't think she understood the concept of reservations, but she pointed to a table in the process of being set up and said that was in fact our table. We sat and waited easily ten minutes without anyone coming by. We got the attention of a woman (possibly the owner) and she sent our waiter over right away. He was very friendly, but clearly had way too many tables. The food was good, but I would not come back.Special Features:
- Can't hear yourself thinkAnnKDined on 9/15/2014While the food was good the noise level is impossible. My dinning companion and I felt like we were screaming at each other. Impossible to have a conversation. Service was slow and food was good, not excellent, and maybe a step above Olive Garden.
- Too noisysyljefDined on 9/13/2014We had to wait for our table 30 minutes because of overbooking. The noise level is unbearable for a normal human being...you have to scream if you want to talk to the person next to you. Yes, the food was good but considering everything the experience was not happening. I would rather eat at home. Three (3) different waiters to ask if they could remove the meals as it was obvious that we were not done. The service was expeditious as if they wanted to get rid of you for the next party. The waiter asked us if we wanted to take home what remained in our plates and I replied:No. He got upset and removed the plates so nervously that he spilled some risotto on the skirt of my daughter. I don't have to mention we were extremely happy to leave!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Food was exceptional Speed with which it was prepared and delivered was surprisingly fast (felt rushed) The noise level was intolerable and we would not return because of it. The four adults in our party resorted to shouting to communicate so the expectation of a liesurely dinner (see above) and friendly conversation was not delivered.
- A Must in the North EndRoland33Dined on 9/12/2014I enjoyed the great portion of food at a reasonable price. Along with the good service and cool experience. I will be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awsome!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/10/2014We had such a great experience there. From the hostess to the server to the busboys. Coming from Chicago we are not easily impressed with because we are use the best food and service. Antico Forno was an excellent find. I would suggest to anyone looking for great authentic Italian food and great service.Special Features:
- Great!FabdinerDined on 8/31/2014We have eaten here several times while in Boston, and as usual it was fantastic.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/31/2014We chose our meals off of the dine out Boston menu and felt that the restaurant really went the cheap route with the amount of food. My fiancé chose the raviolis and only got 2. I felt even though we were eating off of the dine out boston menu it still should have been a little bit of a bigger meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Italian FoodSuperDinerDined on 8/30/2014We have had several meals at Antico Forno. All dishes were very satisfying and prepared traditionally in old-world brick oven. Small, busy restaurant, reservations suggested. A place to be seen and enjoy a delicious meal. Mention a special occasion and you too might receive a complimentary dessert tray for your table. The Tirimasu and cannoli are the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our new go-to spot in the North EndbcmomDined on 8/30/2014The food here is very good. The pizza is excellent. The restaurant has a great Italian feel to it.Special Features:
- Amazing experienceRayrayDined on 8/29/2014Hands down one of the best resturaunts I have ever eaten at. Great good, excellent service and cool environment!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining in the North EndCaitlinCDined on 8/29/2014I have never been disappointed by Antico Forno! I recommend making reservations as it usually has a line. It's Salem Street location is key, as it tends to miss the huge crowds of Hanover Street. The food is excellent and reasonably priced but the wine bottles are a bit pricey ($35+).Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/28/2014This was my first visit to Antico Forno as part of Restaurant week. The food was fantastic and my friends & I thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.