93 Salem Street
Boston, MA 02113Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.anticofornoboston.com/
- Phone: 6177236733
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 3:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 3:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 3:30pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 3:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Salvatore Gaglio
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: They cater both small and large parties.
- Special Events: Restaurant Week Summer 2006
August 13-25, 2006
Menu On Line: http://www.anticofornoboston.com/restweek.htm
A word from Antico Forno
Stop by Antico Forno for a great meal in an atmosphere that is casual and relaxed with delicious food, of course, but also prices that are reasonable.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Antico Forno reviews from OpenTable diners
191 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (104)fit for foodies (63)good for groups (49)kid-friendly (46)special occasion (32)romantic (31)great for lunch (27)hot spot (24)late-night find (16)notable wine list (16)vibrant bar scene (12)scenic view (5)great for outdoor dining (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Can't hear yourself thinkAnnKDined on 9/15/2014While the food was good the noise level is impossible. My dinning companion and I felt like we were screaming at each other. Impossible to have a conversation. Service was slow and food was good, not excellent, and maybe a step above Olive Garden.
- Too noisysyljefDined on 9/13/2014We had to wait for our table 30 minutes because of overbooking. The noise level is unbearable for a normal human being...you have to scream if you want to talk to the person next to you. Yes, the food was good but considering everything the experience was not happening. I would rather eat at home. Three (3) different waiters to ask if they could remove the meals as it was obvious that we were not done. The service was expeditious as if they wanted to get rid of you for the next party. The waiter asked us if we wanted to take home what remained in our plates and I replied:No. He got upset and removed the plates so nervously that he spilled some risotto on the skirt of my daughter. I don't have to mention we were extremely happy to leave!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Food was exceptional Speed with which it was prepared and delivered was surprisingly fast (felt rushed) The noise level was intolerable and we would not return because of it. The four adults in our party resorted to shouting to communicate so the expectation of a liesurely dinner (see above) and friendly conversation was not delivered.
- A Must in the North EndRoland33Dined on 9/12/2014I enjoyed the great portion of food at a reasonable price. Along with the good service and cool experience. I will be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awsome!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/10/2014We had such a great experience there. From the hostess to the server to the busboys. Coming from Chicago we are not easily impressed with because we are use the best food and service. Antico Forno was an excellent find. I would suggest to anyone looking for great authentic Italian food and great service.Special Features:
- Great!FabdinerDined on 8/31/2014We have eaten here several times while in Boston, and as usual it was fantastic.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/31/2014We chose our meals off of the dine out Boston menu and felt that the restaurant really went the cheap route with the amount of food. My fiancé chose the raviolis and only got 2. I felt even though we were eating off of the dine out boston menu it still should have been a little bit of a bigger meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Italian FoodSuperDinerDined on 8/30/2014We have had several meals at Antico Forno. All dishes were very satisfying and prepared traditionally in old-world brick oven. Small, busy restaurant, reservations suggested. A place to be seen and enjoy a delicious meal. Mention a special occasion and you too might receive a complimentary dessert tray for your table. The Tirimasu and cannoli are the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our new go-to spot in the North EndbcmomDined on 8/30/2014The food here is very good. The pizza is excellent. The restaurant has a great Italian feel to it.Special Features:
- Amazing experienceRayrayDined on 8/29/2014Hands down one of the best resturaunts I have ever eaten at. Great good, excellent service and cool environment!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining in the North EndCaitlinCDined on 8/29/2014I have never been disappointed by Antico Forno! I recommend making reservations as it usually has a line. It's Salem Street location is key, as it tends to miss the huge crowds of Hanover Street. The food is excellent and reasonably priced but the wine bottles are a bit pricey ($35+).Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/28/2014This was my first visit to Antico Forno as part of Restaurant week. The food was fantastic and my friends & I thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not ImpressedMangiafagioliDined on 8/27/2014First off, the restaurant is WAY TOO NOISY (shouting required here). It's impossible to hear your waiter or even yourself screaming across the table to be heard. For this reason alone I am loathe to return. There were three of us and we all thought there was something odd (not fresh?) about the sauce. I for one thought it was too sweet. My pasta tasted homemade, but couldn't command the dish under all that sauce. The gelato I had for dessert was loaded with ice chunks. The dishes seemed too complicated to be considered authentically Italian. Perhaps their brick oven pizzas are what they do best. Why Antico Forno is so busy is beyond me -- maybe it's the overly generous portions (or tourists?) that keep them coming.
- PrincessDined on 8/26/2014Other than the service, which was quite good, I was disappointed in my meal. The appetizer and main course were uninspired, to say the least--two dishes in the same red sauce. The bread pudding dessert was more like a cake. All this would have been tolerable if the noise level had been normal, but it was like standing in the T station when a train goes by. Conversation was impossible! I can see why they would want to preserve the rustic atmosphere, but a few bucks spent on acoustical tiles would have improved the evening tremendously. I selected "good for groups" because you forced me to pick something in question 2, but I wouldn't recommend this place at all. Also I resent having to wait in line for 10 minutes for the bathroom!Special Features:
- Good pizzaMrFoodieDined on 8/26/2014We had a good lunch here, food was above average, service was friendlyI would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent, not greatRoadkingVIPDined on 8/25/2014There are so many other choices in the North End. I was not blown away. Good, not great...
- Extremely unpleasant experiencequietDined on 8/24/2014Our experience at this recommended North End restaurant was miserable. Despite an Open Table reservation we were seated very late, and treated as if we were invisible. There were no kind social interactions by the staff, just moving customers coldly. Very impersonal service. The food was average at best, nothing special, certainly not worth the wait. The worst part of the experience was the noise. It was so loud we could not carry on a conversation, and the noise level made the entire experience so unpleasant I would never, ever return. In fact we had our food packed up half-way through the meal and left, just to get out of the extremely unpleasant space. If Open Table would allow me to give this 0 stars, I would.Special Features:
- Reservation meant nothingbeachnole62Dined on 8/23/2014Almost an hour wait for a 7:00 reservation, and was seated only after I complained. Looking back, I see other reviews with similar experiences on Yelp. If they can't honor their reservations, they should not take reservations. The food and service was good once we were seated, but with so many choices in the Nort End, I will go elsewhere until they fix this issue as it was very frustrating.
- JarmoDined on 8/23/2014Very good food but very noisy for dinner. Would return but not at prime dining time in evening. Lobster ravs got good reviews as did the other entres we had for dinner. Calamari app was terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite North End Spotmandii65VIPDined on 8/22/2014My boyfriend and I have tried many Italian restaurants in Boston's North End and Antico Forno continues to be our favorite. The wait staff here is so friendly and accommodating. Also, when you make a reservation, they actually stick to it! Not like some other places I've been where you still end up waiting a long time for a table. The food is fantastic - I've tried most dishes and they're all great. The pizza is highly underrated - it's amazing! Overall, we will continue to visit Antico Forno many more times :)Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Service was quick, and the food was great! We had a three course meal and everything was delivered hot and ready to eat.Special Features:
- Thought it was better 2 years agoandocpaDined on 8/22/2014Was in Boston 2 years ago for a long weekend with the family. Concierge at the hotel recommended this place and we had a great meal. Actually recommended it to my brother in law when we was in Boston. We were back in Boston for another long weekend and went back. Had to wait 20 minutes past reservation time. The place is loud and busy, but I knew that from the last time, so not an issue. Our meals were OK, nothing bad, but nothing special. The antipasto was very good and plentiful. Pizza that was mostly dough. I had zuppa di pesce which was cooked in foil in a pot. It was very watery. Other food was just OK. Would think twice about going back as there are several other places to choose from.
- Birthday dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014My family of 5 (including a 2 1/2 year old) were there to celebrate my son's 26th birthday. Carla was our server and she was wonderful. There when you needed her but not a nuisance. It was during restaurant week and we enjoyed the dine.out specials. Food and wine were superb! We were not rushed but enjoyed a relaxed dinnner. My grandson loved the RIGATONI SALSICCIA - ate every last bite! Two of us had the Frutti di Mare - excellent! Nice ambiance and energetic atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Five Star Food...Seaborn7VIPDined on 8/22/2014at just another North End Italian place that doesn't distinguish itself othewise: a little above average ambience; a lot of famillies; inconsistent, if competent service - but great food. After 4 trips here, I won't go to Boston without visiting for their lasagne, the best I've ever had, including Italy. I've also queried diners next to me - they all describe their experience as "excellent" or "one of the best Italian restaurants they've been to." I hope Antico Forno stays around for my future trips to Boston.Special Features:
- Great food and great times!WestEndFoodieDined on 8/21/2014I visited Antico Forno for the second time with friends from out of town. Both times the food was amazing, the service was great, and the ambience was charmingly Bostonian! Don't hate on the wait, though. It can be lengthly, but it is well worth it!Special Features:
- dineoutDined on 8/21/2014We had a most enjoyable evening. We were looking for a great meal in a North End setting and that is what we got. The restaurant has an intimate feel, the service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid Italian diningNancyBDined on 8/19/2014Large menu with wide variety of choices. Nicely noisy, and the option to sit near open windows on a nice evening to watch the busy North End streets. The service is prompt with pleasant staff, and the ample meals were delivered well-prepared and hot. Our group enjoyed mussels, caprese salad, chicken parm, bolognese, and past putanesca - along side good bread to sop us the juices and the sauces. A good choice in the North End.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- italian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/18/2014antico surpassed my expectations. The food was excellent and the service very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian home cookingYvieDined on 8/18/2014This restaurant in the heart of the north end was charming and we enjoyed most of our choices. The arancini was very good and a large size for an appetizer. My seafood stew app was very good, if a bit salty, (as are most all restaurants' offerings lately!) The risotto was only fair, could have been cooked more. Dessert was fine, all in all, a thumbs up.Special Features:
- BeanLadyDined on 8/17/2014We were excited to eat here from the great reviews it received. But, our expectations were not met, and the food was mediocre and service was very slow and unattentive. The restaurant looks great, and it was certainly very busy, but we will likely not be back. Too many other good restaurants to try in the area.Special Features:
- Excellent FoodAlfdinetimeDined on 8/17/2014The food and service were outstanding . This restaurant is one that you will remember and have to visit every time you visit the North End.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Fra diavolo!BobCDined on 8/15/2014We had the best mussels Fra diavolo. Soooo good , I got the shrimp and scallops in the same sauce over home made fusili. When I got finished sopping up the sauce with the excellent bread the plate was so clean they didn't need to wash it! LolSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/15/2014Great classic Italian food in the heart of the north end. Good for groups, but can get loud!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/14/2014My husband and I ordered pasta dishes and they were very dry from baking in the oven. My son had pizza that was good, but I wouldn't go back just for pizza. The service was slow and they sat three of us at a table for two. My back pushed up against another table for two, so my hair probably dangled over their plates. Very disappointing.Special Features:
- MediocreSamsterVIPDined on 8/12/2014We were referred here by our conceirge and it must have been a hotel deal. I asked for a place with homemade pasta in the north end. When we asked the server he hesitated when I asked if it was homemade. It definitely wasn't. The food was bland. Service was not great. It was a disappointment all around.
- Not what I expected.ksgshmoopsVIPDined on 8/11/2014Went here for a late lunch/early dinner and while there were only 5 tables dining, they were all in a row up against the windows. We were also placed here, mushed between a couple and a big family. I get that you want to seem busy to attract more customers, but the tables are way too close together and it makes for very uncomfortable dining. Cute interior, but horrible acoustics, could hear every conversation loud and clear. As for the food, unmemorable. Veal parm was bland and tough, the pizza was so so, nothing to write home about. Still on the hunt for a decent north end restaurant!
- Great foodBettinaDined on 8/9/2014I have been going to this restaurant for a long time and the food and service have been consistently good. Definitely one of my favorite places to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- another North End gem...UpdateVIPDined on 8/9/2014My wife and I have been coming to the North End for years, and decided to try a new restaurant from our usual spots. Wow glad we did! Antico was over the top. From the food, service, and value (lunch $50 with cocktails) this will be our new go to when in townSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost GreatCARIBDIVADined on 8/9/2014Food was fantastic. Wait staff curt, dining room a bit crowded. However, the food makes everything else not count so much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic ItalianahaleyDined on 8/3/2014Food was outstanding. We were looking for authentic Italian and we found it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.