Anthony's Pier 4
140 Northern Avenue
Boston, MA 02210Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Anthony's Pier 4
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.pier4.com/
- Phone: 6174826262
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm, Saturday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Pierre Jamet/ Thomas Dobson
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The restaurant can accommodate several large parties.
- Private Party Contact: Patty Flanigan 6174826262
A word from Anthony's Pier 4
Anthony's Pier 4 is more than the freshest seafood, delectable prime steaks, and succulent Maine lobsters, we're an exceptional dining experience. Anthony's Pier 4 offers fine food prepared to Anthony's exacting standards, an award winning wine list, superb service, and a spectacular view of the city overlooking historic Boston Harbor. Come experience the full flavor of Boston and enjoy complimentary parking too!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Anthony's Pier 4 reviews from OpenTable diners
- Goodbye to the best of the best!keithmVIPDined on 7/28/2013Well, they've closed now(7/31/13)We went for a last meal on the 28'th. It was outstanding. I started with the Fish Chowder. Full of fish & full of flavor. Little cream(as should be in a TRUE chowder)Richard had the Spinach salad. Great & full of nuts, raisens & Gorgonzola. I went with the Softshell Crab, as that's what I had for an app. the week before. Yes, simply the best I've ever had anywhere. Simply flour dusted & sauteed in lemon caper butter. Truely outstanding.Richard did the Fisherman's Platter.So good & so much he had to bring quite a bit home. For dessert we did the homemade Blueberry pie. Juicy & full of fresh berries. We'll really miss the fact, that in MY opinion at least, This was simply the best seafood restaurant in Boston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Goodbye Anthony's Pier 4OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/28/2013Sunday was a distinct pleasure dining in a resturant that has always been at the top of the best places in Boston to eat and enjoy seafood prepared like no other. Unfortunately, the changing waterfront in Boston has effected many age old establishments. We decided to go this one last time to bring back the memories of the past and it was delightful. So sorry to see it close but that is progress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply fantastickeithmVIPDined on 7/21/2013It amazes me about the negative reviews here.Yes, the decor is old, rather kitchy, but do they know seafood! We started with the Softshell Crab app. Softshell Crab is one of my favorites.This was the best I ever had, period! Richard had the Bouillabaisse(had to use the dictionary here)This is their trademark meal. It was outstanding..full of seafood & the safron broth is great for dipping. My main was the Dover Sole. Top 5 best I've had(I love Dover Sole)Richard had the Prime Rib, again excellent. For dessert I had the Sticky Toffee pudding. really decadent.As Anthony's is closing July 31, we're going again next Sunday.I'll have the Softshell Crab for my main. Richard will do the Bouillabaisse for his main course. We'll really miss them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Is too bad they are closing!TiffVIPDined on 7/20/2013Is too bad they are closing! Was a great tradition.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed Anthony's very much.OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/19/2013Enjoyed Anthony's very much. Always consistently good seafood. Service was good, Acenic views of Boston Harbor. No surprises. It is a bit dated in appearance, still a great spot for a group .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/19/2013Wonderful food, wonderful service, wonderful venue. What a shame this is closing. Sure-- it does need some updating, but a fantastic place. Boston Globe reported that AP4 was closing August 2013, but our bartender said reservations were not being taken past 7/31/13. Get there while you can!Special Features:
- You will be missedRobynVIPDined on 7/18/2013I visited Anthony's for the first time last week, enjoyed their wonderful popovers and great fish. I wish I had been able to experience dining there more often.Special Features:
- as usual: GREAT!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/14/2013This is a terrific restaurant. And it has a parking lot...in downtown Boston!!Special Features:
- A classic. One of our favorites.drdougDined on 7/14/2013A classic. One of our favorites. So dismayed to see it close.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So sad to see the end of anRrtaDined on 7/13/2013So sad to see the end of an era. This place is such a treasure.Special Features:
- Seems like a classic restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/11/2013Seems like a classic restaurant in the Boston area. Lots of people celebrating birthdays and anniversaries. Décor needs some refreshing. Menu has traditional New England seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and view were greatmstaudingerVIPDined on 7/9/2013Great fresh seafood, window seat with view of bay was great. Dining room is looking a bit tired and needs a refresh, but don't let that stop you from going, just be prepared that it is not the fancy place it was in it's prime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great to GoodFrankieDined on 7/9/2013Anthony's Pier 4 location is ideal. Food ok. My scrod was certainly excellent but only lukewarm. Service was excellent and the server was extremely helpful and friendly. Hopefully, the restaurant will reopen in a new location and once again become a premier destination in BostonSpecial Features:
- Will miss Anthony's!!!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/8/2013It was fabulous. George, our waiter, was fantastic and we loved it! Everyone in our party (13) had a great meal and wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- last time...AnnaDined on 7/7/2013We went to Anthony's for a last hurrah since they're closing their doors shortly. I'm sad to see it go, maybe not so much because of the food, don't get me wrong, their food is good, but you can easily find other restaurants at the same price level where you may be happier with your meal. However, their oysters, as usual, were fantastic. As were their crab cakes. The wine list is so so. My husband is allergic to shellfish so he had the steak which was incredibly tasty, cooked medium rare more towards rare, but way too big to the point of being almost unappetizing only because of the size. It's great to sit by the windows for the view, and I enjoy the feeling of being back in the 70s or so...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We enjoyed our meal, and weOpTabVIPVIPDined on 7/7/2013We enjoyed our meal, and we will greatly miss Pier Four after 40 years of serving our family !! :(I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fond memories of Pier 4 ruinedUnimpressedVIPDined on 7/6/2013My table request was ignored, the service staff was gruff, and the food was barely mediocre. I wanted to go back once before it closes. I wish I hadn't, it ruined my fond memories of the place.....Well past its prime and should be laid to rest.Special Features:
- You will be missed....AhartpanVIPDined on 7/6/2013We heard that Anthony's Pier 4 was closing in August forever and a high rise apt/condo was taking its place on the pier. We were so disappointed, we booked a reservation that night. We had guests from Canada with us and we adored the popovers and marinated mushrooms that come to every table. The Cajun salmon and the scallop entrees were top notch, nothing fresher, and the ratatouille was reminiscent of my yiayia's. I know you are still in Swampscott which is only 2 miles from our home, but there is something special about the spot on the pier. We will try to get there one more time before closing for sure.Special Features:
- Old Boston MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/6/2013Every fish dish was fanstastic - pricey, but top quality. They has all of the foods Boston is known for - chowder, scrod, etc.Special Features:
- Unofrtunalely my food wasOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/5/2013Unofrtunalely my food was very bland. I ordered the poacj sake salmon and it was tasteless. The service was ok the view great but I cannot rave about the food. I will definetely give it another try on my next visit to Boston but this time I was dissappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food- abysmal & ambience- dated!YummyVIPDined on 7/5/2013We had to find our way to the front of the house as there was no one there to greet us. When the host did see us hr took his time seating us. The food was bland, saltless and tasted frozen. This is far from a "find dining" establishment. The waiters are all dressed as Isaac from The Love Boat and the prices considering the quality of the food are insane! I Al a New Yorker and I'm accustomed yo better food and even better service. I have found better quality in both categories on food trucks! If this is Boston fine dining then Applebee's it is because that was an embarrassment!
- We enjoyed a wonderful birthdayhubbyDined on 7/5/2013We enjoyed a wonderful birthday celebration. I had a special food request which was honored and the food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed 4th of July lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/4/2013Enjoyed 4th of July lunch here. Great view of Boston Harbor and Old Ironsides Turnaround. Sad to know the restaurant is closing soon. This is a Boston landmark.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great but serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/29/2013Food was great but service was bad. Meal came out just after the appetizers were served. Service seemed rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We have been dining at Anthony'sPhilDined on 6/29/2013We have been dining at Anthony's Pier 4 since its opeming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I haven't been to Anthony'sChiefDined on 6/26/2013I haven't been to Anthony's Pier 4 in over 30 years. This was a trip back in time for me. The restaurant is the same with great food and service but it is aging and needs a makeover. I understand it'll soon be part of a larger redevelopment of the area and I'm sure will return to it's status as a "must experience" on the Boston restaurant circuit. For me it was nostalgic and enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ole faithful for lobstersInfrequentDinerDined on 6/26/2013When my inlaws are in town Pier 4 is our standard go to place for lobster. Old things like the photos of famous guests are great. Old ammenities not so much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Sunday dinner. FoodSGregorioVIPDined on 6/23/2013Wonderful Sunday dinner. Food was excellent. Service a bit on the slow side, particularly at the start. Giving my wife and I an anniversary cake was a very special touch and most appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experiencemoodyfanDined on 6/23/2013My husband and I chose Anthony's to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. It was awesome. Our meal was excellent. They give you a generous amount of food for the price and our fish was cooked to perfection. We had a beautiful view of Boston Harbor. Even though it is a first come first serve for window seats I think anywhere you sit in the restaurant you would have a decent view of the harbor. If a window seat is what you want it is worth the wait. The service was very good. All of the servers you can tell have been there a long time and they were very attentive. It was overall an excellent evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sadOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/19/2013Had a business meal midweek at Ap4. I remembered it as a vibrant, cool, "old-school" vibe place with good food. Sadly, either this place needs to close and become a condo or some other restaurant or just fade away. They need to have a serious introspective talk with themselves. DO NOT go here. The service is slow and indifferent, the food was just awful. Also, as a vegetarian I informed them with my reservation that this was a requirement, but no relevant decent offering was available. The salad was even bad. Just so sad...
- Food was good, but not great.GeneroBLT1Dined on 6/10/2013Food was good, but not great.Generous portions. Time for a remodel.
- Anthony's Pier 4 BostonBillDined on 6/10/2013Anthony's Pier 4 Boston is a classic restaurant with great food and service. The view of Boston Harbor although somewhat comercial is very nice. The only negative here is the facility is dated and the area has major construction. However the food and dining experience overshadowed that fact. The 'popovers' are a traditional favorite. Highly recommend Anthony's, one of my favorite restaurants in the US.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousFish,Popovers,Baked AlaskastephDined on 6/9/2013Excellent seafood & wine menu; great appetizers to start and desserts to finish off. Perfect for a relaxed meal with friends you want to converse with while watching planes take off and land, boats sail or cruise, and sunsetsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average food, terrible serviceAndriaDined on 6/8/2013The food was just ok. Nothing to go back for. The service was terrible. Our server was clearly someone who did not enjoy interfacing with people. The entire time, he gave us the impression that we were inconveniencing him. When I am paying a minimum of $30 per entree, I expect a certain ambiance that I felt this place was lacking.Special Features:
- Not impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/1/2013The food was pretty good but not fantastic. We were never offered a wine list even thought the table next to us got one from their waitress as soon as they sat down. I finished my first drink and had to wait a good 15 minutes for the waiter to come over to see if I would like another. I finished my tiny water in the meantime and that was never refilled. The food took about 20 minutes to come out AFTER we had finished our soup and salad. I could understand some of these issues if the place was full and busy but it was at about 1/4 capacity, IF THAT! No excuse for such poor and slow service. This place is outdated and absolutely not worth the $150 bill for dinner for two people with 2 drinks a piece. Don't waste your money OR time.
- priceeeeeZiggyDined on 6/1/2013Very overpriced. Portions were appropriate size (not too large) and seafood was fresh, but price should really be cut by 1/3. I will nnot be coming back.
- great food, great view ofOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/24/2013great food, great view of the water and attentive, friendly serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Boston Must DoInvisible13Dined on 5/23/2013I had the Lobster, Lobster Bisque Soup, House Wine, and Chocolate Sundae for dessert. Service was constant and polite. The scene across the bay is spectacular. Allow some time to see all of the photos. The photo gallery was well worth the trip. The layout is suitable for groups, first dates, or a weary traveler.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall GoodAgathaDined on 5/21/2013The food critics in my group were many and everyone thought the fish was great, service was good abd pricing "Boston Waterfront expected." Near the end of the evening the bottles of wine were waning and someone asked the waiter for a glass of pinot noir to finish his salmon with. They do not serve pinot noir by the glass and only offer two red wines by the glass; one a cabernet and the second a Carminaire. Neither went with all of the fish we were eating. Also the bread choice they had -- popovers were mushy inside and not cooked all the way through. So Anthony's, if you want to attract us back, increase the wines that pair with the fish on your menu by the glass and serve a better bread choice! There is a lot of good fish served in Boston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great traditional Boston experienceRubenBDined on 5/19/2013Boston traditional food and dinning experience at its best. Antony Pier 4 is a place to enjoy that special moment or event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.