Anthony's Pier 4 Cafe
153 Humphrey Street
Swampscott, MA 01907Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Anthony's Pier 4 Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://pier4.com/Hawthorne/index.html
- Phone: (781) 595-5735
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Anthony's Pier 4 Cafe
Anthony's Pier 4 Cafe is perched on Black Will's Cliff, on Greater Boston's North Shore. The Athanas family restaurants are known for excellent seafood and American cuisine.Continued
We do not accept reservations for The Tavern or deck.
We do not accept reservations for The Tavern or deck.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Anthony's Pier 4 Cafe - Best Restaurants in Swampscott ›
Anthony's Pier 4 Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (24)romantic (12)special occasion (12)great for outdoor dining (9)neighborhood gem (9)great for lunch (8)good for groups (7)notable wine list (5)kid-friendly (2)fit for foodies (2)great for brunch (1)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/8/2014We were here for my mother's 90th birthday. We had a large group - 13 and the service was really great. It was a very special dinner for all.Special Features:
- great view, food quite goodegretshoulderDined on 11/1/2014Fish was a bit disappointing for the fresh fish optionsSpecial Features:
- Agood dinnerFrequentdinerDined on 10/25/2014My dishes were excellent and my wife's dinner was very good. Service was very good but the view was fantasticSpecial Features:
- Great seafoodjoenottaDined on 10/11/2014My wife and I were in Boston for a wedding. We remember eating downtown on the pier. We heard they closed that location and now this is the only location. Easy to find, extra great food, a waitress that was like a family member, and still priced fairly. We will go back!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 25th AnniversaryLPDPaulVIPDined on 10/7/2014Our reception was held there in 1989, we've been back on special occasions there on a regular basis - if it was good enough for my wedding, special events, and my 25th, you can consider it safe to have my endorsement. Of course, the venison was pretty good, too!Special Features:
- Excellent restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/4/2014I love the popovers and marinated mushrooms. Dinner was great. Food was served and cooked to level requested. Excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Late LunchVeeeDined on 9/17/2014Had a late lunch here with a colleague. Food was good and waitress understood that the two of us wanted to talk. Gave us plenty of space to conduct business. I would return.Special Features:
- Excellent restaurantPattiDined on 9/6/2014Outstanding food service and ambience. We have gone to Anthony's often over the years and have never been disappointed. Great menu selection. I usually get the seafood but my husband gets the filet - both awesome. And another nice feature is their parking lot no parking fee ! I would highly recommend it. And on our recent visit we had a window table with a beautiful view of a thunder and lightening storm!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great viewOutandaboutDined on 9/6/2014Anthony's Pier 4 in Swampscott was a great spot for a Saturday lunch . The food was plentiful and cooked to perfection . Out favorite the popovers were piping hot and delicious. Our waiter was attentive and courteous . Must add a shout out to the young man who "mans" the front door. He was charming and entertaining .... We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dateDennisMcDined on 8/31/2014My wife and I had gone to the original Anthony's in Boston decades ago and had meant to go to the north shore Anthony's for years. So on our 35th wedding anniversary we had dinner there. First off the service is perfect, people are polite to her and I, timed the courses to they arrived as we finished. We were never rushed, it was a good meal. My wife had the baked stuffed shrimp and thought it was delicious. I went for two appetizers and they were well proportioned. For dessert we had the blue berry pie and the pecan pie. We enjoyed both but thought the pecan pie was extra special. For a special occasion or a wonderful view of the Nahants this is a very nice restaurant. We'll be coming back for sure.Special Features:
- an enjoyable eveningTriceDined on 8/21/2014I took my family. The view is fabulous. Our waitress was very pleasant and provided attentive service. The food was well prepared, my husband who is very critical about restaurant food had nothing to complain about! They still say "the best scallops I ever had" and the crab cake was delicious. I would recommend ordering a bottle of wine instead of by the glass the prices are very high and the pours are very small. Overall the price point is high but food quality was excellent, it 's a perfect restaurant to celebrate a special occasionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anthony's Pier 4 Still Superb!!restaurant4meDined on 8/16/2014Brokenhearted by the closure of Boston's infamous Anthony's Pier 4, my husband and I had to try Anthony's in Swampscott. Set at the edge of a spectacular ocean precipice, the glass walls and windows create a soothing feeling of dining surrounded by the sea. From the moment the front door is held open for you, you know you are at Anthony's: the large staff treats you as royalty and the delicious banquet awaiting you confirms it! From the famous marinated mushrooms and warm popovers, through its notable wine list, every course is prepared with perfection: we chose scrumptious scallops and the mouth-watering filet mignon. The only challenge is to save room for their homemade deep dish blueberry pie or other scrumptious delights. Go!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view -nothing else noteworthyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/12/2014The view is the only thing worth mentioning about this establishement. The ambience is nice, although the entire restaurant desperately needs to be cleaned and refreshed. The food is mediocre at best. Considering the prices, one would expect far better quality of food and preparation. Both the steak accompanying bernaise sauce and the asparagus hollandaise were warm (at best) and gelatinous in texture. The filet was not seasoned and to be generous, only fair. The stuffed lobster was ok. Located in a seafood town and self proclaimed fine dining, one expects far better. Nothing called out fine dining. Although we dined fairly early, the staff uniforms were filthy (unlaundered, not from a busy shift.)Special Features:
- ExcellentBBMW2314Dined on 8/2/2014One of my favorite restaurant, I enjoyed every visits. The menu, meal specials, and wine list have a numbers of great choices to fulfill your craving for a good meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/1/2014Get the oysters, not the lobster cocktail. The view is gorgeous, great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Russ1010Dined on 7/25/2014Food ranged from great, raw bar & clam chowder to poor, baked clams & COLD blueberry pie. Ambience was great due to the Ocean view although dining room could use a makeover. Service was a disaster! The waitress was ill trained or not at all trained. Starting with the broken cork which can happen but when one wipes the mouth of the bottle with her bare hand, spills food on the table at delivery and provides food late & cold it ruins the meal especially at the prices charged. Disappointing experience overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 271 reviews are from the Anthony's Pier 4 Cafe reviews archive.
- good seafood and ambiencesherpaDined on 7/23/2014The food was excellent. it was a lovely few and the service was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Dininggood4uDined on 7/21/2014Great atmosphere, good food, good service, good drinks, great deep dish blueberry pieSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/20/2014Everything was excellent! Anthony would be proud.Special Features:
- Lovely SeafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/19/2014It was a really wonderful meal. Sat where we could look out at the water and the shore. Everything was very good. Great Oysters! Soft Shell Crabs in season.. my first for that and it was amazing. We all had bouillabaisse, so I can't speak to the rest of the menu, but it was full of mussels, clams, salmon and white fish with an fragrant and flavorful broth. Save room for the seasonal pie. It's blueberry right now.... and was just stellar.Special Features:
- Nice water views.RtlegerjrDined on 7/19/2014The restaurant is scenic and well located. Plenty of parking. Food was just OK expensive for the quality. Service was good, our waiter was courteous and attentive to our large group. the pace was too slow for me but perfect for my older in-laws who like a meal stretched out. The popovers were excellent! clams and mussels were gritty we had to ask for hot water to rinse them in. portobello Wellington was overcooked and had weird texture. Same went for scallops - seemed like they were dredged in too much flower and left under the salamander too long. Biggest surprise was kids menu prices-WAY too pricey!!!!! Overall the food was ok and views were nice. I'd never been before and heard good things; I don't think I'll be rushing back soon.Special Features:
- Anthony's Still in BusinessBillLDined on 7/13/2014We were saddened when Anthony's in Boston closed. We celebrated New Years Day there. It is great to sometimes go to a well established restaurant serving excellent food rather than trying the latest new place. The Swampscott location is wonderful--on the water with a view of the Boston skyline. It is agreat place for a special occasion or just a really good meal with good service. A tried and true restaurant.Special Features:
- Anthony's Pier 4 Cafefritzg2Dined on 7/12/2014What a great place for a romantic dinner..The food and view was the bestSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/11/2014The seafood is outstanding. From the dining room or the deck Boston can be seen in the distance.Special Features:
- You can go home again!NannyDined on 7/10/2014Grew up in Lynn a long time ago and always loved Anthony's and the baked stuffed lobster. Back for the first time in 18 years and it was sensational. Better than I remembered. And the view is amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome view and good foodRobFVIPDined on 7/3/2014The good: The view is incredible & the food is good. We had the Deluxe New England Raw Bar Platter to start and it was great. Our entrees were all very good. We had lobster hawthorne, swordfish, salmon, & bake stuffed shrimp. The blueberry pie was awesome. The not so good: When we arrived & I went to check in some guy in a suit behind the host stand just barked out at me that "you can't bring that in here" about my energy drink. It would have been better if I received a polite greeting & they could have kindly asked me to finish my drink? The wine glasses were dirty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slightly Faded GloryTraveler1000VIPDined on 7/2/2014A beautiful setting for a leisurely summer lunch, but this restaurant is in need of refurbishment. The service was very pleasant, but the waitress was not particularly familiar with the menu or the wine list . The food was decent, though nothing special for the prices charged. Overall, I'd have today that this place has seen better days. Too bad...)
- Train the waitstaffjacquesDined on 6/21/2014Starched and bleached uniforms still there but nobody is teaching the staff how to serve. Our waitress brought a dish in each hand while we were still eating the previous course, and stood there waiting for us to pick up our own plates and move them aside so she could put the next course down. We had to remind her to bring the asparagus, then she disappeared after she brought it -- leaving the sauce in a bowl with no spoon. Nobody noticed my frantic gestures for several minutes. A fellow in a black uniform with a bow tie showed up while we were half way through and interrupted our quiet conversation with a cheerful "Still working on that?" Then some dishes from the first course stayed on the table thru the whole meal.Special Features:
- Hawthorne By The SeaenjoygoodfoodDined on 6/4/2014This restaurant is known for its quiet ambiance and spectacular ocean views and in this respect it does not disappoint. Food quality however is mediocre. My sole was sauteed too long and rice was simple to the point of mundane. Popovers, a perennial favorite, are always a treat. But you are clearing paying for their site location, not for their dedication to their cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointing.ksgshmoopsVIPDined on 5/17/2014Was excited to try this restaurant, but was disappointed in the end. Clams were delicious, but my steak was so over cooked it was like eating a puck. Should have sent it back, but we didn't have the time to wait. I ordered it medium rare, which is probably the most common cook, I am so surprised they screwed it up. No flavor either, it was my first time using steak sauce ever! Oh well. Prices are pretty exorbitant, I could get much better for the same price at any of the fine dining steak houses of Boston.Special Features:
- Mother's Day lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014We had a wonderful lunch on Mother's Day. The food and service were excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anthony's is classic!Cew203Dined on 5/4/2014The food and the service was great. The scallops cooked perfectly. Try the lobster bisque!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 50th anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014Everything I anticipated of Anthony's came true with my visit. You see every year we would go to Anthony's Pier 4 in Boston since we got married in 1964 . The service and food is excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- arualDined on 4/20/2014A very delicious and enjoyable meal Easter experience. Would definetly do it again.Special Features:
- Easter SundayDennyDined on 4/20/2014We have been frequenting this establishment for some time. The ocean view is great for just gazing. Service and the food are always good. Easter Sunday is always special to us and this dining experience was terrific. The table we were given was ocean view. Our seasoned waiter was very attentive. The food was very good. My fiancee had the Ham and I ordered the Lamb. Topped it off with coffee and apple pie a la mode.Special Features:
- Over looking BostonOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/5/2014The view from the dinning room is very special as it looks back at Boston from the North. Ocean water laps at your feet as you enjoy great food and you can carry on good conversation with the people that your are dinning with for a change.Special Features:
- Great Birthday Dinner!CityDwellerDined on 3/23/2014Have eaten at this restaurant for years, but with the closing of Pier 4 in Boston, it has replaced that restaurant for special occasions. I would recommend this place for seafood and meat lovers, alike, although I usually eat their famous baked, stuffed shrimp and grilled scallops. The extras make the meal special, such as marinated mushrooms and popovers, which they serve at no extra charge at every table. All in all a great food and ambiance experience! Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT FOR SPECIAL OCCAISSIONSHarrisDined on 3/23/2014We celebrated my mother's 89th birthday at Anthony's Pier 4. The staff was prepared for all seven of us when we arrived. They gave us a great table with a perfect view. Both the waiter & the maitre de were exceptionally attentive to our party. Also, the food was very good. It was fresh, tasty & served hot (not always the case with a large party). We all plan to return to Anthony's Pier 4 in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday LunchDennyDined on 3/21/2014My birthday lunch was excellent. Our waiter was attentive and the food was great. The scenery was beautiful overlooking the ocean. Top notch visit. My wife loved it. We will be back. Thank you.Special Features:
- pier 4 cafeflowerVIPDined on 3/17/2014we had a wonderful lunch,overlooking the water with the skyline of boston, great service,and delicious popovers! lovely restaurant! classic anthony's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.