Anthony's Fish Grotto
1360 N Harbor Dr
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Shelter Island / San Diego Bay
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Anthony's Fish Grotto
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.gofishanthonys.com/
- Phone: 6192325103
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm; Saturday & Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday: 11:00am - 4:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Anthony's Fish Grotto
Anthony's Fish Grotto is San Diego's original seafood restaurant. Founded in 1946, Anthony's still uses our original family secret recipes to serve what Zagat's 2013 City Guide calls San Diego's Most Popular Seafood. An extensive menu of seafood is complimented by chicken,beef and pork selections, ensuring that there is something for everyone. The building is built over the waters of San Diego Bay, so it offers diners some of the best views in the city.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Anthony's Fish Grotto reviews from OpenTable diners
220 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (181)good for groups (81)kid-friendly (75)great for lunch (73)special occasion (68)neighborhood gem (45)fit for foodies (39)romantic (36)great for outdoor dining (27)great for brunch (26)hot spot (23)notable wine list (10)late-night find (9)vibrant bar scene (5)Show More
- Anthony's lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/16/2014Food was very good. Presentation needs work. Dining room reminds one of eating in a dining hall. Service was very good.Special Features:
- Happy chef meets red lobsterWillDined on 10/12/2014Atmosphere is really dated and the food was pretty much cafeteria style. Location is awesome- and they are milking it for everything. Somebody needs to buy this place and refurb itSpecial Features:
- Not fancy, just wonderfulFlitedocnmVIPDined on 10/8/2014Great food and drinks, very reasonably priced, incredibly friendly and helpful service, fabulous location and views. Highly recommended. The salmon was superb.Special Features:
- jpattDined on 10/8/2014We had a wonderful time. The food was great. I had the trout and really liked the way it was prepared. The service was wonderful also. We were able to sit by the window and of course the view was fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood & Views at Moderate PricesZephyrDined on 10/6/2014Anthony's has been around a long time. It is always consistent. The seafood is fresh. Not fancy food but quite tasty. I had a Fennel, Kale & Shrimp Salad (new to menu); one of the better salads I've had. Generous salad with large portion of shrimp; couldn't finish (for as much as I would have liked!). My husband had a Shrimp Flatbread & salad (also new to menu). I tasted the flatbread it was delicious!! However, the hit of the meal was the New England Clam Chowder. Broth not too creamy nor heavy. I'll guess it is made from a stock & not overly done with cream. The clams tasted slightly seasoned. Everything was quite good. We requested window table & were able to enjoy the sunset & gorgeous post-sunset cloud formations & colors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent on all countsSenatorDined on 10/5/2014I have been going to Anthony's Fish Grotto (original location next to the Star of India, the world's oldest active sailing ship, a barque built in 1863 at the Ramsey Shipyard in the Isle of Man) since the 1960's and regardless of lunch or dinner, they never disappoint. Food, service, atmosphere and view all max the highest rating. These guys and gals are very good in all they do. Don't be fooled by the name, besides fresh seasonal seafood, they also serve up delicious beef, chicken, pork, salads and pastas dishes. A delicious something for all ages.Special Features:
- Family favoriteKikiDined on 10/5/2014Family favorite restaurant for over 30 years. Food is good but the view is amazing!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special place to bring my parentsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014My elderly parents love Anthonys and we treat them there often. The view and the service is amazing.Special Features:
- Wonderful Day Event!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014They were great. We were delayed from our Hornblower cruise and I called to let them know. When we got there they had a table set for my almost 99 year old Mother and the rest of us. It was wonderful and my Mom loved the view (she had been there several times starting around 40 years ago. Thank you all!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovee it!TwoodsDined on 10/4/2014This is the 3rd time I have been here. My parents frequented this place before I was born. I enjoy the food and drinks. We had a party of 15 celebrating my Graduation, we had an awesome waitress who was on point. I couldn't have selected a better place to celebrate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/30/2014They were very accommodating to us with our 1 and 2 year old kids. Nice kid's menu. Beautiful view right on the water. Our waitress was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Missed opportunityJacksonDined on 9/27/2014Anthony's needs an overhaul. The lication is excellent (on the water and close to the Gas Lamp Quarter and hotels). But the decor is dated. A full remodel would help. The food is rather institutional and the dining area is 'cafeteria-like'. The bar is old and has a 70's feel about it with cedar shake interior ceilings. Better to get your food to go outside and have lunch rather than dinner.Special Features:
- First timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Went for our anniversary. I had the shrimp trio and it was good. My wife ordered the filet steak with the lobster. However, she received the sirloin with lobster instead. The steak was a letdown but the lobster was great.Special Features:
- Anthony's Fish Grottocdj123Dined on 9/26/2014We made a last-minute reservation and were immediately seated upon arrival. The view was awesome as we sat at the windows overlooking the bay. The appetizer list was well-rounded and we enjoyed the King Crab dinner and of course, the dinner rolls. The room was quite loud but indicative of a good time by many.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as expectedJH1LDined on 9/26/2014I had been looking forward to trying this place since I relocated to the area some months. This place has nothing on the SF wharf! :/ Maybe I ordered the wrong thing. I had Mama's platter which consist of fried fish, calamari, shrimp, crab cake rolls and a couple of sides. The food was mediocre at best. No real flavor and much of it taste like it was previously frozen. I was really disappointed. My lil one didn't like her food, either.Special Features:
- Had a great time!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/25/2014Our family had a last minute get together and we were accommodated quickly! Loved the food and the atmosphere! Thank you!Special Features:
- Great Restaurant Week Mealmusicmp2003Dined on 9/24/2014My hubby and I decided to try out the Restaurant Week deal, and we weren't disappointed! Great 3 course meal for a decent price. We also really like the garlic and dried tomato-infused butter that comes with the bread. Its a delicious twist to the norm!Special Features:
- Best chowder everFootLadyDined on 9/24/2014Chowder was delicious, justifiably famous. Everything else was just ok.Special Features:
- restaurant weekluv2dineVIPDined on 9/23/2014My girlfriend and I went to Anthony's for Restaurant Week. I wasn't impressed with the service or the food. It took 15 mins to get a server, then another 10 minutes to get water. I ordered the filet mignon with grilled shrimp and mashed potatoes. I ended up getting what seemed to be a sirloin instead. It was not seasoned and wasn't the best quality. The mashed potatoes were the best thing on my plate. I definitely wouldn't recommend this place to friends or family.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014Went for dinner Sunday. Got a great table the food was excellent and service was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Anthony's did a wonderful job accommodating our group of 12 for lunch on a busy Saturday. Specifically, Ryan, our server, was great. He and the support staff went above and beyond to make our lunch wonderful. It was relaxed but the service was very attentive!Special Features:
- An Old FavoriteOceanGirlDined on 9/19/2014Anthony's Fish Grotto is a wonderful old favorite restaurant with a beautiful ocean and sailing vessel views. The outstanding food has passed the test of time, and is always consistently great. Our server was energetic and offered her suggestions on dishes and drinks. She was attentive and friendly. We ate the scallops and the special of the day and were pleased with both. We did not have dessert, however. Be prepared, and make reservations long in advance, as this popular seafood house is bouncing with the San Diego tourists nightly.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Visiting from Minnesota, first time there for me. Went there for my Fiance because her Grandma took her there when she was a young girl. Was NOT DISAPPOINTED!!! Everything about this place is fantastic! Especially the food, will be back in the future!! Thank you Anthony`s!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/17/2014It's all about the view, it's one of the few bayside dining locations. The food is always good, not great. If you're a foodie, this is not the place for you, but you're not going to be disappointed either, very consistent. I live across the street basically and I like to come here a couple times a year, great for out of town guests to experience.Special Features:
- SunsetsandiegodinningDined on 9/13/2014We made our reservations on line and requested a booth by the window facing the ocean. They made sure to have the perfect table waiting for us when we arrived. Fast friendly service great food, and they didn't try to rush us out of there. We were able to sit and enjoy our meal. We got the stuffed mushroom appetizer I would rather have like 6 little ones then one big one for everyone to share. But it was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!KCKatDined on 9/11/2014We were visiting San Diego and was recommended this place for seafood. It was a nice surprise that it was located right on the water. We were even seated by a window and enjoyed the sunset to go with the awesome good. My in-laws were delighted with everything, decor, location, food, AND service. Tina was wonderful along with her support person. I've told all my friends about this place and plan on going back one day. Keep up the great food and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow, wonderfulKarenDined on 9/9/2014Our group of 14 were very happy with the food, service and ambiance. As International Photographers, we have eaten in many restaurants and Anthony's Fish Grotto was voted the best. The service was absolutely the best ever. With so many people in our group, the staff at Anthony's managed to serve us all within a few minutes and were available for any requests. Our thanks to Ricardo for not only the service he provided but for his patience with each and every one of us. I have recommended Anthony's to many people over my 5 day visit and will continue to recommend them for an experience to remember to all my colleagues and friends. A true gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, slow service, noisyNormaDined on 9/5/2014We hadn't been to Anthony's in many years. We were a bit disappointed; it was very noisy even though not that busy; service was slow; food was good; prices are average for this type of restaurant and location. Not sure if I would return, but might in a few years if we're back in the area.Special Features:
- We always return to Anthony'sK2KgoodwinDined on 9/5/2014We have been coming to Anthony's for years, and we continue to love it! We live in the Inland Empire, so anytime we are in San Diego, we always go to Anthony's.Special Features:
- Great!EG86Dined on 9/5/2014Went for both lunch and dinner. Server for lunch was great. Dinners server was ok but it could be due to a large party that showed up early and was seated in his section. The manager gave us free dessert due to noise from large party. Food was really good. View was incredible. Recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never againOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/4/2014I went to Anthony's on my Grandparent's request. I had no idea what this place was until we went for dinner. I have to admit that the open table reservation was really easy and awesome. Other than that, there were no positives about this place. I attempted to order 2 different specials and was told they ran out. Then I ordered simple grilled teriyaki shrimp. I had no idea I would get a few unseasoned shrimp on a bed of rice (even though I specifically asked for no rice) with a side of teriyaki sauce to pour over or dunk my shrimp. The shrimp were rubbery and tasteless. I ordered a dinner salad as a side and it looked as if they literally threw everything on the plate and the waiter grabbed the dressing of my choice on his way to our table.Special Features:
- The portionsMissdeeDined on 9/1/2014Was a little disappointed with portion size for the prices. Had reservations but didnt get a window seat to enjoy the views.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view!RrbernalDined on 9/1/2014Still a San Diego gem. Great seafood, excellent service and a wonderful view make for locals and tourist cool spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/1/2014our open table reservation never went through so they didn't have our reservation when we arrived. luckily, it wasn't a busy night so we still got a table by the water to watch the sunset. the view and relaxing pace were the best part of the night. the service was pretty good, but the waitress wasn't very knowledgeable and was difficult to deal with over our bill. my fish was bland but my husband's was great.Special Features:
- Perfect!lovetoeatDined on 8/31/2014Food was great! Service was amazing! View was beautiful! With our reservation, we only waited a few minutes! Everything was perfect! Couldn't have been any better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sad to write a disappointing reviewAZtoSDDined on 8/31/2014I am usually excited to dine at Anthony's every time I visit San Diego. I'm not sure if it was what I ordered, but my meal didn't leave me wanting to come back for more. The portions seemed smaller than I remember and the fish was a bit bland as far as how it was prepared. The service staff, while quite friendly, was uncharacteristically slow. The restaurant wasn't any busier than normal, so I'm not sure the reason. My daughter never received a refill on her lemonade despite requesting one (yes, she had her original drink and that's it) and I didn't receive my ordered glass of wine until after one of the wait staff cleared my plate from the table. No explanation, just a "drive-by" sorry as my wine glass was dropped off at the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014I came here on vacation for my cousin birthday. We were seated within 10 minutes. After waiting 20 mins I finally went back up to ask who our server was. We had not been asked if we wanted something to drink. Or given bread, utensils anything. Finally we ordered the good was okay. Nothing special. I was expecting far more from Anthony'sSpecial Features:
- AAAAHHHHHHMAZING FOOD & SERVICEMamasanDined on 8/30/2014Pricey but great food. Good selections, portions, good plate presentation! Our Food Server was extremely helpful. Food brought out in timely fashion. Reservation was at 7:00 P.M. on a Friday night at the start of the Labor Day weekend, and were seated within 10 minutes of our arrival. Restaurant reception area a zoo, lots of noise...! Good energy...Special Features:
- My experienceVacationDay2014Dined on 8/30/2014After we were all seated (10 guests), it took a while for the server to even bring the bread to our table. For the price of the meal, they don't give you enough food. I ordered a cucumber martini and it was awful. The bay view was awesome and the food was okay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for a FamilyZaidDined on 8/30/2014We spent all day out on the water, but still felt comfortable enough to come here and have steak and lobster. The service was frantic at best, and they were trying. I always like going to a restaurant that is full, but no one seems out of sorts. That was not what this place was like. Everyone was running with their head cut off. I was served my meal and had to wait 9 minutes till the rest of my table was served. The food was still good. The view was great. I have been here several times before and experienced similar issues. So, I was not disappointed just was hopeful. We had kids ages 7 to 17 and they were comfortable and all the kids enjoyed their meal.Special Features: