Anthony's Fish Grotto
1360 N Harbor Dr
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Shelter Island / San Diego Bay
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Anthony's Fish Grotto
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.gofishanthonys.com/
- Phone: (619) 232-5103
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm; Saturday & Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday: 11:00am - 4:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Anthony's Fish Grotto
Anthony's Fish Grotto is San Diego's original seafood restaurant. Founded in 1946, Anthony's still uses our original family secret recipes to serve what Zagat's 2013 City Guide calls San Diego's Most Popular Seafood. An extensive menu of seafood is complimented by chicken,beef and pork selections, ensuring that there is something for everyone. The building is built over the waters of San Diego Bay, so it offers diners some of the best views in the city.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Anthony's Fish Grotto - Best Restaurants in Shelter Island / San Diego Bay ›
Anthony's Fish Grotto reviews from OpenTable diners
196 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (157)good for groups (77)kid-friendly (64)special occasion (63)great for lunch (58)romantic (39)neighborhood gem (39)fit for foodies (36)great for outdoor dining (25)hot spot (23)great for brunch (22)notable wine list (10)late-night find (10)vibrant bar scene (4)Show More
- Great service and viewsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/12/2014Went there for the seafoods and we were not disappointed. Our waiter was on the ball and was very friendly and knew we were there for a special occasion. We will for sure go again!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- zercesDined on 11/9/2014Service was wonderful. Food was good. Location is perfect.Special Features:
- A San Diego GemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014Anthony's never ceases to amaze me after so many years on the water. We were a "family reunion" party of 8 and were treated like royalty. The service is top notch with a talented, knowledgeable, and prompt wait staff. The food choices were "spot on" for a seafood restaurant next to the Star of India. I would not hesitate to go back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Return after 16 yearsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/1/201416 years ago we traveled to San Diego and took the family to Anthony's. I had been there as a kid as well. This trip we did not enjoy the visit. The food was so-so and the prices were high for the quality. The fish Inhad was under seasoned, no salt. The fish my wife had was over cooked. And the fish my son had was greasy. The service was good and the waiter did a nice job.Special Features:
- Best spot in San Diegoshamrk1075Dined on 11/1/2014This restaurant is one of the best in San Diego. Great food, Great servers, Great scenery. A real gem of San DiegoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good food, great service!WickedWahineDined on 10/31/2014We were celebrating a personal milestone and I wanted to go somewhere new and special. My husband and I recently moved to Little Italy to start over. We exercise a lot all down the harbor and pass Anthony's almost every night. I love sea food and said to my husband, I'd like to try Anthony's Grotto, they seem to have a large sea food selection and beautiful ambiance. The hubby replied with "It's just going to be another tourist trap on the water". Well he is eating his words, literally. Great fresh seafood, attentive server and a beautiful view on the water. I highly recommend this "Toursist Trap Restaurant". The chowder is some of the best I've ever had, and I'm from San Francisco. Coming back very soon!Special Features:
- Out Of TownersCHERDined on 10/30/2014Great place for dinner and to show out of towners the beautiful sunsets California has.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentTharrisDined on 10/24/2014Host was welcoming and very accommodating although it was late in the evening. Waitress was very nice, knowledgeable about the food and provided outstanding service. The food was hot, seasoned just right and extremely delicious!!! Much thanks!Special Features:
- Affordable with harbor viewFamilyDiningDined on 10/19/2014The service was great and the food was great with a reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stay awayPartyoffiveDined on 10/18/2014They do not wash the lettuce. We paid $5.00 each for two Caesar Salads. The lettuce was not washed and very sandy / gritty. My daughter ordered the Seafood Cobb Salad. Had to send it back. They did not rinse the lettuce. It was very gritty. This place has been around a long time and does not rinse the lettuce. I wonder what else goes on in the kitchen. I will not go back again. There are much better restaurants to choose from. Again, rinsing lettuce is basic food handling that Anthony's fails to manage. Very Poor!Special Features:
- partial sunsetMichiganquickvisitorDined on 10/17/2014I hadn't had the opportunity to dine at Anthony's for some time, as I don't live in the area. It was nice to be back. Server Alicia took good care of us throughout. The chowder is good, and may actually live up to the hype. My daughter had the wedge with blue, and the handled the classic nicely. Our dinners were served at the right time, and were properly hot. The salmon was overcooked maybe just a bit, but that would have me really looking hard for something to pick at. The sides were tasty, and for dessert, the mousse was a nice touch. We had a brief sunset, due to cloud cover, but the windows all around views are part of what brings people back time after time. Nice job - it was nice to be back.Special Features:
- Anthony's lunchfoodnutDined on 10/16/2014Food was very good. Presentation needs work. Dining room reminds one of eating in a dining hall. Service was very good.Special Features:
- Happy chef meets red lobsterWillDined on 10/12/2014Atmosphere is really dated and the food was pretty much cafeteria style. Location is awesome- and they are milking it for everything. Somebody needs to buy this place and refurb itSpecial Features:
- Dining with a viewjmvdVIPDined on 10/11/2014Anthony's food was very good, did not expected this, from entering into the ambiance. If they would dim the lights, and put regular table cloths on the tables... then this place can be very romantic, for special occasions.... as it is right now... half way between a diner, a group restaurant and something that could be....Special Features:
- Not fancy, just wonderfulFlitedocnmVIPDined on 10/8/2014Great food and drinks, very reasonably priced, incredibly friendly and helpful service, fabulous location and views. Highly recommended. The salmon was superb.Special Features:
- jpattDined on 10/8/2014We had a wonderful time. The food was great. I had the trout and really liked the way it was prepared. The service was wonderful also. We were able to sit by the window and of course the view was fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood & Views at Moderate PricesZephyrDined on 10/6/2014Anthony's has been around a long time. It is always consistent. The seafood is fresh. Not fancy food but quite tasty. I had a Fennel, Kale & Shrimp Salad (new to menu); one of the better salads I've had. Generous salad with large portion of shrimp; couldn't finish (for as much as I would have liked!). My husband had a Shrimp Flatbread & salad (also new to menu). I tasted the flatbread it was delicious!! However, the hit of the meal was the New England Clam Chowder. Broth not too creamy nor heavy. I'll guess it is made from a stock & not overly done with cream. The clams tasted slightly seasoned. Everything was quite good. We requested window table & were able to enjoy the sunset & gorgeous post-sunset cloud formations & colors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent on all countsSenatorDined on 10/5/2014I have been going to Anthony's Fish Grotto (original location next to the Star of India, the world's oldest active sailing ship, a barque built in 1863 at the Ramsey Shipyard in the Isle of Man) since the 1960's and regardless of lunch or dinner, they never disappoint. Food, service, atmosphere and view all max the highest rating. These guys and gals are very good in all they do. Don't be fooled by the name, besides fresh seasonal seafood, they also serve up delicious beef, chicken, pork, salads and pastas dishes. A delicious something for all ages.Special Features:
- Family favoriteKikiDined on 10/5/2014Family favorite restaurant for over 30 years. Food is good but the view is amazing!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special place to bring my parentsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014My elderly parents love Anthonys and we treat them there often. The view and the service is amazing.Special Features:
- Wonderful Day Event!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014They were great. We were delayed from our Hornblower cruise and I called to let them know. When we got there they had a table set for my almost 99 year old Mother and the rest of us. It was wonderful and my Mom loved the view (she had been there several times starting around 40 years ago. Thank you all!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovee it!TwoodsDined on 10/4/2014This is the 3rd time I have been here. My parents frequented this place before I was born. I enjoy the food and drinks. We had a party of 15 celebrating my Graduation, we had an awesome waitress who was on point. I couldn't have selected a better place to celebrate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/30/2014They were very accommodating to us with our 1 and 2 year old kids. Nice kid's menu. Beautiful view right on the water. Our waitress was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Missed opportunityJacksonDined on 9/27/2014Anthony's needs an overhaul. The lication is excellent (on the water and close to the Gas Lamp Quarter and hotels). But the decor is dated. A full remodel would help. The food is rather institutional and the dining area is 'cafeteria-like'. The bar is old and has a 70's feel about it with cedar shake interior ceilings. Better to get your food to go outside and have lunch rather than dinner.Special Features:
- First timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Went for our anniversary. I had the shrimp trio and it was good. My wife ordered the filet steak with the lobster. However, she received the sirloin with lobster instead. The steak was a letdown but the lobster was great.Special Features:
- Anthony's Fish Grottocdj123Dined on 9/26/2014We made a last-minute reservation and were immediately seated upon arrival. The view was awesome as we sat at the windows overlooking the bay. The appetizer list was well-rounded and we enjoyed the King Crab dinner and of course, the dinner rolls. The room was quite loud but indicative of a good time by many.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as expectedJH1LDined on 9/26/2014I had been looking forward to trying this place since I relocated to the area some months. This place has nothing on the SF wharf! :/ Maybe I ordered the wrong thing. I had Mama's platter which consist of fried fish, calamari, shrimp, crab cake rolls and a couple of sides. The food was mediocre at best. No real flavor and much of it taste like it was previously frozen. I was really disappointed. My lil one didn't like her food, either.Special Features:
- Had a great time!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/25/2014Our family had a last minute get together and we were accommodated quickly! Loved the food and the atmosphere! Thank you!Special Features:
- Great Restaurant Week Mealmusicmp2003Dined on 9/24/2014My hubby and I decided to try out the Restaurant Week deal, and we weren't disappointed! Great 3 course meal for a decent price. We also really like the garlic and dried tomato-infused butter that comes with the bread. Its a delicious twist to the norm!Special Features:
- Best chowder everFootLadyDined on 9/24/2014Chowder was delicious, justifiably famous. Everything else was just ok.Special Features:
- restaurant weekluv2dineVIPDined on 9/23/2014My girlfriend and I went to Anthony's for Restaurant Week. I wasn't impressed with the service or the food. It took 15 mins to get a server, then another 10 minutes to get water. I ordered the filet mignon with grilled shrimp and mashed potatoes. I ended up getting what seemed to be a sirloin instead. It was not seasoned and wasn't the best quality. The mashed potatoes were the best thing on my plate. I definitely wouldn't recommend this place to friends or family.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014Went for dinner Sunday. Got a great table the food was excellent and service was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Anthony's did a wonderful job accommodating our group of 12 for lunch on a busy Saturday. Specifically, Ryan, our server, was great. He and the support staff went above and beyond to make our lunch wonderful. It was relaxed but the service was very attentive!Special Features:
- An Old FavoriteOceanGirlDined on 9/19/2014Anthony's Fish Grotto is a wonderful old favorite restaurant with a beautiful ocean and sailing vessel views. The outstanding food has passed the test of time, and is always consistently great. Our server was energetic and offered her suggestions on dishes and drinks. She was attentive and friendly. We ate the scallops and the special of the day and were pleased with both. We did not have dessert, however. Be prepared, and make reservations long in advance, as this popular seafood house is bouncing with the San Diego tourists nightly.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Visiting from Minnesota, first time there for me. Went there for my Fiance because her Grandma took her there when she was a young girl. Was NOT DISAPPOINTED!!! Everything about this place is fantastic! Especially the food, will be back in the future!! Thank you Anthony`s!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/17/2014It's all about the view, it's one of the few bayside dining locations. The food is always good, not great. If you're a foodie, this is not the place for you, but you're not going to be disappointed either, very consistent. I live across the street basically and I like to come here a couple times a year, great for out of town guests to experience.Special Features:
- SunsetsandiegodinningDined on 9/13/2014We made our reservations on line and requested a booth by the window facing the ocean. They made sure to have the perfect table waiting for us when we arrived. Fast friendly service great food, and they didn't try to rush us out of there. We were able to sit and enjoy our meal. We got the stuffed mushroom appetizer I would rather have like 6 little ones then one big one for everyone to share. But it was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!KCKatDined on 9/11/2014We were visiting San Diego and was recommended this place for seafood. It was a nice surprise that it was located right on the water. We were even seated by a window and enjoyed the sunset to go with the awesome good. My in-laws were delighted with everything, decor, location, food, AND service. Tina was wonderful along with her support person. I've told all my friends about this place and plan on going back one day. Keep up the great food and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow, wonderfulKarenDined on 9/9/2014Our group of 14 were very happy with the food, service and ambiance. As International Photographers, we have eaten in many restaurants and Anthony's Fish Grotto was voted the best. The service was absolutely the best ever. With so many people in our group, the staff at Anthony's managed to serve us all within a few minutes and were available for any requests. Our thanks to Ricardo for not only the service he provided but for his patience with each and every one of us. I have recommended Anthony's to many people over my 5 day visit and will continue to recommend them for an experience to remember to all my colleagues and friends. A true gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, slow service, noisyNormaDined on 9/5/2014We hadn't been to Anthony's in many years. We were a bit disappointed; it was very noisy even though not that busy; service was slow; food was good; prices are average for this type of restaurant and location. Not sure if I would return, but might in a few years if we're back in the area.Special Features: