Anthony's Fish Grotto
1360 N Harbor Dr
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Shelter Island / San Diego Bay
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Anthony's Fish Grotto
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.gofishanthonys.com/
- Phone: 6192325103
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm; Saturday & Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday: 11:00am - 4:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Anthony's Fish Grotto
Anthony's Fish Grotto is San Diego's original seafood restaurant. Founded in 1946, Anthony's still uses our original family secret recipes to serve what Zagat's 2013 City Guide calls San Diego's Most Popular Seafood. An extensive menu of seafood is complimented by chicken,beef and pork selections, ensuring that there is something for everyone. The building is built over the waters of San Diego Bay, so it offers diners some of the best views in the city.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Anthony's Fish Grotto reviews from OpenTable diners
236 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (196)good for groups (88)special occasion (86)kid-friendly (85)great for lunch (81)neighborhood gem (48)romantic (45)fit for foodies (39)great for brunch (29)great for outdoor dining (27)hot spot (19)late-night find (10)notable wine list (7)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- AAAAHHHHHHMAZING FOOD & SERVICEOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Pricey but great food. Good selections, portions, good plate presentation! Our Food Server was extremely helpful. Food brought out in timely fashion. Reservation was at 7:00 P.M. on a Friday night at the start of the Labor Day weekend, and were seated within 10 minutes of our arrival. Restaurant reception area a zoo, lots of noise...! Good energy...Special Features:
- Great Holiday EatsDelMarJunkieDined on 8/30/2014Wonderful place to go for lunch before the Festival of the Sail. Had out of town guests visiting for the FOTS and they were very impressed with the food and ambience of Anthony's--a real winner!Special Features:
- DisappointedDisappointedDined on 8/28/2014Went here because of yelp ratings. Food was just ok and nothing special. Best part was clam chowder as appetizerSpecial Features:
- Enjoyable dinner and viewTabithaDined on 8/24/2014We met our friends for an early dinner and were treated to a beautiful sunset view over the water. The Light Eaters portions were perfect for us and still gave us a full meal with room for dessert. We had a corner window table, so it was easy to converse and our server was very helpful and friendly.The food was good, as we always expect at Anthony's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinner at Anthony'sjimnclaudiaDined on 8/22/2014We were able to get a last minute dinner reservation for my birthday outing. Food was excellent. Our server was nice and attentive. We requested a window table and was able to get seated just in time for sunset. It was a good experience all together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Killer ViewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014The halibut off the catch of the day list was delicious. Amazing view of the sunset.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I loved the location and the viewOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014The ambiance was great. The view was incredible. The overall experience was good. Loved the variety of pricing options and food options. No matter what you like to eat, they have it. If you are a big steak person, you might be a little let down. It was a little tough and not that great. The appetizers and seafood were amazing though. Great place to eat out.Special Features:
- Small portions!Kadi23Dined on 8/22/2014The table had a great view right on San Diego bay. Service was good. However, neither of those things made up for the very small portions we received. It was lunch but one small piece of fish and three shrimps with a half a cup of macaroni salad for $12? Really? When we got home, my husband had the remainder of his lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lacking serviceChwanceDined on 8/21/2014The food was ok at best the service was very slow and refill were far and few between I will never go there again and don't recommend it to anyone that actually wants to have a great meal and experienceSpecial Features:
- Mixed reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014We had reservations for four at 7pm. Honey and I arrived early and enjoyed happy hour in the Grotto. Our waitress Amber was an absolute delight and we had a ton of fun with her. We had appetizers and six rounds of drinks waiting for our Aussie friends to arrive. I left specific instructions with the hostess that (1) we were early, (2) we would use the 7pm reservation, and (3) that our friends would ask for us by name and to seat them with us. That did NOT happen. When they arrived, the hostess either couldn't find my reservation, or just ignored it, and seated them in the larger room. We never connected. That is why I did not give the 5th star. Location was great, food was great, view was great, service was great, but hostess??Special Features:
- DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014I have been going here over 30 Years. Great seafood!! Nice staff. Me using this site got a Great table that I ask forSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anthony's Fish Grotto still greatOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/18/2014I've been going to Anthony's on the San Diego Harbor for more than 40 years. During that time the quality of the experience has varied a bit. However, a few nights ago I was at a meeting at the San Diego Convention Center, and took some colleagues and friends to Anthony's. It was absolutely stellar. Great food, great view (we got a window table), excellent and friendly service, and all around fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014We had no wait at all. We were seated in the center of the room. As soon as we were seated, they raised the shade and the sun was directly in our eyes. When we requested to have them lowered until the sun set, we were told that people liked to watch the sunset, so we moved to another table where we had to sit behind a post to shield ourselves from the glaring sun. Within 10 minutes, the sun set and we were now stuck in a corner against a wall for the rest of our meal. Couldn't you wait 10 extra minutes for the comfort of all of your customers? You have plastic shades that everyone can see through. I would recommend this restaurant, but not at sunset.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014My wife and I really enjoyed our dinner at Anthony's Fish Grotto. The food was great and the staff very friendly. The view over the water also made for a nice dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HORRIBLELindsayKatherineDined on 8/17/2014Do not go to this restaurant! The service was horrible, it took them over an hour to bring out our food, with no apologies, and when it was brought out, it was cold. We let the manage know how bad it was and we left without paying, and went across the street to Ruth's Chris Steak House, and were treated like royalty! This was surely a lesson in contrast.
- Fantastic Family ReunionshellykDined on 8/17/2014I came into San Diego just for the weekend and I was very busy. I wanted a beautiful place to go and enjoy brunch with the family by the water. Anthony's fulfilled all of my wishes, by having great food, a perfect table by the water, and Rosie the waitress was FANTASTIC!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was ExcellentSeattleGuyVIPDined on 8/16/2014Anthony was our waiter, he was attentive, helpful, and fun. Food was very good and we really enjoyed our experience at Anthony's.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Anthony was our server and he was awesome, great service, always there even before we needed him, but didn't hoverSpecial Features:
- Great Place to EatSLS4MEDined on 8/15/2014Recommend going to San Diego for this gem of a seafood dining experience.Special Features:
- LUNCH EXPERIENCE AT ANTHONY FISHOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014We had a table by the window overlooking the bay - beautiful view. Service was excellent and so the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anthony's on the HarborOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014We had a waitress who was training, and did an exceptional job taking care of the table. Plus the person who was trainer her made great suggestions. The only think I typically find annoying is the noise level, and it was a bit too cold inside. But I will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fishDined on 8/10/2014Anthony's was extremely good, great selection good food and a wonderful view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great diner, perfect sunset viewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014We were seated on time (7.15 p.m. time of our reservation) at a window table. The waitress was very kind and attentive, the appetizer was served as well as the main course after a adequate time of waiting. The quality of our several dishes was very good.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/10/2014We had a great dinner with a nice view. This was our second time to Anthony's to celebrate our anniversary and we will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The only good thing is the viewSDlocalDined on 8/10/2014It was sad. The view is the only thing we enjoyed. The maintenance of the facilities is 25 years overdue, it smelled like the carpet is the original installed when this landmark was built. It seems everything in the menu is battered and deep fried. It's sad to say but I think just about any other restaurant you go to in the harbor will be better.Special Features:
- Won't go backNotintofishDined on 8/9/2014First let me say that I am not a fish eater so my review will be a little skewed. I won a gift card for this restaraunt or I would not have come here. My first impression was that the decor was very dated. I was expecting more of a "date night" kind of place but it really was nothing special except for the view. We enjoyed the sunset. The noise level was that of a diner not a quiet spot at all. My husband ordered the halibut and it was dry. I ordered filet mignon which had no seasoning on it at all. My loaded baked potatoe was nothing special. We ordered a flight of beer that was pretty good and I had a Mai tai that was excellent. For dessert we had salted Carmel cheesecake which was pretty good. We will not be going back.Special Features:
- Terrible FoodcasualdinerDined on 8/9/2014I felt bad for the staff here, since they were working so hard and obviously providing extremely low quality food. I would have expected much more from a place in downtown San Diego with waterfront views that are so beautiful. The fish taco was like eating a tire, and seasoned with cheap-tasting spices. I prefer Taco Bell over this place.
- Why $134.00?CatfoodDined on 8/9/2014The food was confusing. To many flavors in one dish and the fried items were greasy and had a burnt undertone.thewaiter did not inquire as to why 90% of our food was untouched. He just brought the bill and hovered. Rather rude. They also did not have our table ready. We had to wait bout 15minutes to be seated even though we booked with your site.
- Wonderful!EvereatDined on 8/7/2014We loves this place! Great service, great location, yummy seafood!Special Features:
- DisappointingNightOutDined on 8/6/2014We had not bee to Anthony's for about 20 years. Maybe it is San Diego, but to find that this once fine dining restaurant that had ambiance, romance and shined with quality has turned into a little more than over-priced seafood served with a view saddened me. I ordered a Gluten free entree and clearly stated it. It came out with croutons on top and had to go back so I sat and watched my husband eat and then he did the same when my meal finally came out. Very disappointing.Special Features:
- Always Good!!JellyBeanDined on 8/4/2014We love coming to this Fish Grotto...always a great meal with fantastic service. Michelle rocks! Fish is simply some of the best in the city and the view is to die for.Special Features:
- Beautiful view but noisyjjb222Dined on 8/3/2014I enjoyed the food very much. Service was a little slow but it was packed. I assumed dinner hours would be less noisy on a Sunday night but not the case here. Great view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mismatched atmosphereEatwell23Dined on 8/2/2014Being on the water, the view from the restaurant is really nice, but only if you happen to get a table next to the window like I did. I waitress I had was very nice, and I got a caring homey vibe from her. My impression of the place was that it was like an expensive diner. The tables were not fancy, lighting was not romantic, and the tables were very close together in order to fit as many possible. The food was also very pricey for what we got. I know seafood can be very expensive, but $50 only got you 4 crab legs! Baked potato was hard, but the garlic tomato butter was amazing. I would prob try a different seafood place next time.Special Features:
- Some things never changeLaguna85Dined on 8/2/2014I'm way past sixty and Anthony's has been around as long as I can remember. The menu is extensive. If you can't find something you like, you aren't trying hard enough. We went recently with a party of seven on a Saturday night. Service was prompt and professional. The food, as always, was good. Yes, it may cater to tourists being on right on the harbor, but Anthony's always delivers. Trends may come and go, but Anthony's Fish Grotto will abide. Bring back the Star of the Sea Room!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014Enjoyed our dinner at Anthony's. Were on a time crunch and the service was quick and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome seafood experiencetucsontonydeeDined on 8/1/2014The food was great, from fresh oysters, scallops, and fresh lobster, the seafood was amazing, prepared just right. The service was awesome as well, i had asked for help in picking our seafood, and the waitress nailed it. Friendly staff, food came out fast. Truly a wonderful experience. You have a raving fan! I will tell friends and family to visit anthonys fish grotto when in san diego, we will return in the fall and look forward to dining at one of san diegos finest seafood restaurants.. Thank you for making our vacation even better , Tony Dee @ family. Tucson az.Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/31/2014Group of 6 including a 2 year old - all turist. The dishes were tasty and portions were just right. I had the salmon, crabcake and shrimp compbo plate, and it was all cooked just perfect. We sat next to the window overlooking the water right before sunset and it was beautiful - the scenic view kept my 2 year old entertained.Special Features:
- Absolute Favorite Seafood DishesJedkydhoVIPDined on 7/30/2014When working in San Diego I will always take the time to dine here either for lunch or dinner as it has never been disappointing. The local fish dishes are always fresh and tasty along with the accompaniments that are offered. On this occasion I had the Gulf Shrimp Louie Salad which was fresh and tasteful. Others at the table enjoyed the Salmon and Halibut dishes which were filling. The service was pretty good tonight and could have been a little more attentive to our needs with refills and checking on us. The price is right in line with other restaurants in the area for what is offered. I always look forward to returning to the San Diego area for another chance to dine at Anthony's.Special Features:
- Mr. Gregory Scafidi1BluesmanDined on 7/30/2014I had the pork and shrimp wantons for an appetizer and they were excellent. For the main course I had the fried shrimp and they were fresh and cooked to perfection. The prices are moderate and the seafood is the best in the U.S.Special Features:
- Glorified sizzler w/o the salad barBusinesstravelerDined on 7/30/2014Came recommended by a local, not sure if it's because convenience of location due to the fact we were directly across the street. Price was expensive for the quality of the food but given the location I guess that's what you pay for. Turn and burn table atmosphere.